Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

PC Help! Avast Anti Virus

Jump to newest

By *ENGUY OP   Man
over a year ago

Hull

I was recommended to use Avast Anti-Virus for my PC and am considering downloading the Free Version as a trial.

However, I have heard it can often slow down systems, takes ages ages to install, slows down operating systems, and even by their own admission on their site, it can affect operation of Google Chrome.

Anyone else had or heard of these issues. Advice welcome. I am running Vista, if it is of note to anyone.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rica-tvTV/TS
over a year ago

sunderland

I prefer AVG to Avast as it did slow my system down.Had AVG for quite a while and have had no problems with it at all,and i am using Google Chrome.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

AVG free should be fine but I would seriously look at getting off Vista. It's a dire O/S

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for about 18mnths now. I've no no issues with viruses and it doesn't slow your system down like Advira and Avast did.

By *rica-tvTV/TS
over a year ago

sunderland

I was running Vista when i first used Avg,have since upgraded and it still works fine.

By *yphoon1Man
over a year ago

Like Norton, Avast seemed to take over and become rather obtrusive. I uninstalled it because i have AVG which is free, less in your face and as far as I know very effective.

I had a nasty rootkit virus once which nothing could get rid off until I came across Microsoft Security Essentials which got rid of it. Thoroughly recommend MSE.

By *uirklingMan
over a year ago

Macclesfield

Like most of post here I definitely recommend you AVG free version. I would use malwarebytes as trojan,rootkit,spyware remover.

One of your main problem about usage of resources is vista.. You should upgrade to a stable/working is like seven. Otherwise if you use your PC only for a office type of needs, Linux Ubuntu or mint is a good choice. Then the only reason to use an antivirus would be to protect other PCs under windows in your network.

Post new Message to Thread