Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Has anyone had laser eye surgery?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was at an appointment today and they said they could reduce the price by 10% if I had the surgery on 5th May as it was so late notice.

Did you get a discount on your surgery?

Thanks for replies in advance x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They are prob trying to get a quick sale - just a sales technique to make you say yes there and then.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I had it done 7 years ago, didn't get a discount, just arranged a convenient date. I'd recommend it, they did interest free credit with the firm I used so I took advantage of that

over a year ago

Just had it done this morning , didn't cost me a penny but then wasn't done for cosmetic reasons.

By *ouple36DDCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

Best thing I ever had done. Just make sure you do all the research on the company doing it. I got an interest free deal over 1year

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I got mine done over 10 years ago, best thing I ever did

By *nfieldishCouple
over a year ago

Enfield

Ooh interested... Can they do rectify plus prescriptions.... So I can do away with reading glasses??

over a year ago

"Ooh interested... Can they do rectify plus prescriptions.... So I can do away with reading glasses??"

Think they can do most, get an appointment to find out x

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Ooh interested... Can they do rectify plus prescriptions.... So I can do away with reading glasses??"

They can correct either way, but only one or the other.

over a year ago

My Brother had it done a few years ago and said its the best thing ever! I would love to get mine done

By *o1mrtlcMan
over a year ago

cannock

2 of my friends have had this done and a couple of my customers to.

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

I, Jack, had it done back in 1995 at a clinic in Birmingham. It cost me £395 per eye.

By *utzzCouple
over a year ago

wrexham

Do your eyes get worse again a few years down the line, and end up needing specs again? Or are they fixed for good??

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/04/14 17:46:32]

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Do your eyes get worse again a few years down the line, and end up needing specs again? Or are they fixed for good?? "

Nah they are fucked after 20 years. You have to take them out and preserve them in a jar of vinegar.

By *utzzCouple
over a year ago

wrexham

That's always been my worry

over a year ago

I had it done three years ago but had to have one eye redone a year later. If you are able to, opt for the treatment where they lift a flap (sounds grim I know but you don't know its happening) the recovery is really quick (hours) and far less painful. I had my corneas scraped the first time, one didn't heal well and I was in a great deal of pain for days. It doesn't happen with everyone obviously but be aware is all I'm saying. I now have one long and one short distance eye which is fine until they get tired and are both trying to do their own thing, still beats wearing varifocals tho which never sat in the right place on my nose for me to see clearly!!!

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

It does work well, but ask yourself this:

How many opticians do you see who choose having it done over wearing glasses?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"It does work well, but ask yourself this:

How many opticians do you see who choose having it done over wearing glasses?"

How would you know? If the optician isn't wearing glasses does that mean she has had surgery or that she doesn't need glasses in the first place?

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"It does work well, but ask yourself this:

How many opticians do you see who choose having it done over wearing glasses?

How would you know? If the optician isn't wearing glasses does that mean she has had surgery or that she doesn't need glasses in the first place?

"

You camp out in there back hedge and keep a beady eye on them.

If you can see far enough that is.

over a year ago

The smell of your eyeball being fried is supposed to be a little grim!

over a year ago

"The smell of your eyeball being fried is supposed to be a little grim! "

I did have smoke signals in my eyes after mine this morning.

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

I'm 57 and have only recently started to wear reading glasses.

Hopefully I shouldn't need to wear glasses for distance _iewing

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'd like it doing, but due to how bad my eyesight is, it wouldn't be a full cure, just make it less bad. I'd still need glasses, which wouldn't help me much.

over a year ago

Do please look at the statistics first. It is tempting. I hate being a speccy four eyes. But there is a small but significant chance of being made blind by these operations.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I would love it but I have an eye condition that doesn't allow it.

The people I know who have had it done, speak very positively about it.

good luck

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Had mine done in 2008, best money I spent and I would have spent much more on glasses, as I needed bi focals

over a year ago

Had mine done two years ago... spent about 5 years umming and arring...

I recommend doing background research on the actual surgeon.

I decided I didn't want to worry about the money - and wanted a renowned surgeon who had performed the procedure lots of time.

My thinking is, the more experience they have, they more likely they'll know what to do in the event something goes wrong.

I can play football, swim and drive without glasses... it's all quite magical... even now!

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

due to an eye problem I cant have it done but my brother did and he said it was the best thing he had ever done

over a year ago

I had it done 6 years ago. Best thing ever. I asked for a discount as was paying in cash, they gave me 15% off if I went on a certain day.

It was amazing. I had the one where they cut a flap and lift it up then lazer. The smell was literally like burning flesh, but couldn't feel anything. I could see as soon as they put the flap back down.

The only negative is the pain started about 45 mins later and was excrutiating. Got progressively worse until I couldn't open my eyes at all. But after a few hours sleep I could open them for short periods and by the morning they were perfect

My suggestion would be to have an appointment late in the day so that you can go home and sleep it off!

Also, as I'm sure you know, your eyesight will deteriorate again, but not for many years. I was told id probably need glasses again when I'm in my 40's/50's. But I'd probably get it done again as it's changed my life!

Good luck xx

over a year ago

"Do please look at the statistics first. It is tempting. I hate being a speccy four eyes. But there is a small but significant chance of being made blind by these operations."

My doctor wears glasses, he won't have it done..

When he does, I will...

over a year ago

"Had mine done in 2008, best money I spent and I would have spent much more on glasses, as I needed bi focals "

Can they rectify your vision if you have problems with reading and distance?

over a year ago

ive come accross a few people who have had it done - not one bad re_iew - all said more than worth it and wish they had had it done years before

over a year ago

If u want to have it done tell them it will be when u want it with the discount or you will look at somewhere else to have it done

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Had mine done in 2008, best money I spent and I would have spent much more on glasses, as I needed bi focals

Can they rectify your vision if you have problems with reading and distance?"

If you have one eye done for short and one for long

over a year ago

"Do your eyes get worse again a few years down the line, and end up needing specs again? Or are they fixed for good?? "

I had it done about 6 years ago and it is well worth it. The doctor said it wont stop normal deterioration that comes with age so its likely you will need glasses later in life.

over a year ago

"Had mine done in 2008, best money I spent and I would have spent much more on glasses, as I needed bi focals

If you have one eye done for short and one for long"

that sounds a bit cockeyed to me

over a year ago

Manchester Area

Can they rectify your vision if you have problems with reading and distance?"

I only need reading glasses for ultra fine print or if I am tired.

By *tsjustfun99Man
over a year ago

Sheffield South

I had it done in 2005 and it was great until last year then i noticed my vision changing, i now have to wear glasses for reading which it was explained to me that 90% of the population will by the time they hit 50ish, plys my long distance vidion has slipped again so need glasses for that too, the younger the better results. Good luck..

over a year ago

Manchester Area

I only need reading glasses for ultra fine print or if I am tired. "

I'm _iewing this on a mobile phone with no probs.

over a year ago

Manchester Area

Oh and I was 49, am now 55,

over a year ago

"I'd like it doing, but due to how bad my eyesight is, it wouldn't be a full cure, just make it less bad. I'd still need glasses, which wouldn't help me much. "

A friend of mine who's eyesight was "bottle glasses" bad had her eyes lasered last year (in Inverness actually OP) and now she doesn't have to wear glasses except for reading. She's very happy with the result.

over a year ago

"I'd like it doing, but due to how bad my eyesight is, it wouldn't be a full cure, just make it less bad. I'd still need glasses, which wouldn't help me much.

A friend of mine who's eyesight was "bottle glasses" bad had her eyes lasered last year (in Inverness actually OP) and now she doesn't have to wear glasses except for reading. She's very happy with the result."

Lol that's where I was today for my app x

over a year ago

"I'd like it doing, but due to how bad my eyesight is, it wouldn't be a full cure, just make it less bad. I'd still need glasses, which wouldn't help me much.

A friend of mine who's eyesight was "bottle glasses" bad had her eyes lasered last year (in Inverness actually OP) and now she doesn't have to wear glasses except for reading. She's very happy with the result.

Lol that's where I was today for my app x"

I guessed that from your location. She went to the place in the high street, kind of opposite M & S

over a year ago

I guessed that from your location. She went to the place in the high street, kind of opposite M & S"

Yip, that's where I was. The surgeon has done 46000 ops since 1994 x

over a year ago

I guessed that from your location. She went to the place in the high street, kind of opposite M & S

Yip, that's where I was. The surgeon has done 46000 ops since 1994 x"

Wow that's experience!

My friend just had her 2nd check up since the operation and all is well. She wanted the operation for years, it was only the cost that stopped her before. I'm surprised how used to her without glasses I became, almost instantly.

Anyway she had no problems with the place, I don't know if they have more than one person doing the operations. I think she said he came up from somewhere down south, that he isn't based in Scotland, but that might be an incorrect memory. She didn't have a lot of pain afterwards, just discomfort.

over a year ago

Yip, that's where I was. The surgeon has done 46000 ops since 1994 x"

Bejaysus, the surgeon must own all of Inverness by now.

Top, TOP, tip :

do NOT succumb to the tempataton of doing it yourself, no matter how cheap the laser pens are.

Typed on a braille keyboard.

By *lleyCat1969Man
over a year ago

Folkestone

Mate of mine had it a few years ago and said it was the most painful experience ever and he regretted having it done.

Personally my eyes are too precious to let anyone other than a skilled surgeon go anywhere near them with a laser, and I'm perfectly comfortable wearing glasses.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"I'd like it doing, but due to how bad my eyesight is, it wouldn't be a full cure, just make it less bad. I'd still need glasses, which wouldn't help me much. "

Same here, nearly. There is a slight chance that I might not have to wear specs again but no guarantee.

Add in the much higher cost for my prescription and the likelihood of age related degeneration just a few years away and I decided against.

I asked quite a few opticians and despite them all saying they would recommend a good place not one of them thought it was the best choice for me.

Btw read the small print on the form you sign, you're signing away your rights to compensation if it goes wrong.

over a year ago

Best money I ever spent.....swimming AND being able to see.....

over a year ago

Not me personally however i know of two friends who swear by it.

over a year ago

I've got a lot of thinking to do lol. Thanks for your comments, more always welcome x

over a year ago

i had lasik laser treatment with wavefront technology cost me #1800 per eye but it was the best money ive ever spent believe me and i wud reccomend it to all who are thinking about it x got mine done 5 yrs ago now its amazing to wake up each morning and see clearly !!

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

They can't correct aging of the eye otherwise known as presbyopia. So, at some point in our lives we will all require reading glasses.

I considered laser a few years ago but can't see the point in spending so much money when I'll need reading glasses one day anyway. Instead i make the most of the staff discount I get for working in the opticians

over a year ago

"Mate of mine had it a few years ago and said it was the most painful experience ever and he regretted having it done.

Personally my eyes are too precious to let anyone other than a skilled surgeon go anywhere near them with a laser, and I'm perfectly comfortable wearing glasses."

lol they are skilled surgeons ! did u think the receptionist did the laser treatment ?

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I looked into it a while back an got a few different opinions. i was mainly told on 1 eye it defo wouldn't work an the other only possibly might help so yep I left it at that

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I've had a couple of friends who had it done. One swears by it yet another regrets it's everyday as it's dried her eyes resulting in hourly eye drops!! The latter had one of the most experienced surgeons and researched everything but still wasn't good for her

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

I, (he), had it done 14 years ago, it was pretty much in its infancy then, so I went to a top clinic (as used by Sharon Davis, Clive Woodward, Shefali thingy), figuring I'd rather pay top dollar than go budget - it was £2000 all in.

I had Lasik, where they cut and lift a flap then re-profile the front of your eye, replacing the flap. It took about 5 mins each eye, no pain during or after, went home after 30 mins recovery in a dim room, cleared to drive 48 hours later.

Best investment I ever made.

I suffer from age related long sightedness, so it's a deteriorating condition. Thus for the last 5 years or so, I'm back on +1 readers for PC and written work, but still glasses free for everything else.

If you have a stable prescription, then once it's fixed, it stays fixed.

over a year ago

"I've had a couple of friends who had it done. One swears by it yet another regrets it's everyday as it's dried her eyes resulting in hourly eye drops!! The latter had one of the most experienced surgeons and researched everything but still wasn't good for her "

It put me off there is always a risk it depends if you are prepared to take it and dry eyes with constant drops would be hell for me.

over a year ago

I've to get the lasek treatment done. Can't get the lasik done as my cornea is too thin. So instead of cutting a flap they remove a layer completely with alcahol fluid and put a contact lense in for 4 days to protect and help heal. I was advised it would be £3300 but the would do it for £3000. The healing is a lot longer than lasik. I believe it can be very uncomfortable for a while after.

Has anyone had LASEK done?

over a year ago

"I've to get the lasek treatment done. Can't get the lasik done as my cornea is too thin. So instead of cutting a flap they remove a layer completely with alcahol fluid and put a contact lense in for 4 days to protect and help heal. I was advised it would be £3300 but the would do it for £3000. The healing is a lot longer than lasik. I believe it can be very uncomfortable for a while after.

Has anyone had LASEK done? "

*heel lol

over a year ago

i had dry eyes for about a year after treatment and put drops in a couple of times a day to lubricate them ,however the dryness cleared up of its own accord and dont hav any problems whatsoever .

re presbyopia im told that intra occular lens implants are becomming incresingly popupar to overcomeage related reading problems and irradicates the need for reading specs through our older years x x

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

That's correct. Intra ocular implants are now available but as yet it is still quite uncommon, I have yet to meet anyone at work who has had the surgery. I believe that the average cost is around £5000 per eye. The surgery is very similar to cataract surgery and for patients who undergo cataract removal done privately it is often offered to prevent the need for reading glasses post surgery

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"I've to get the lasek treatment done. Can't get the lasik done as my cornea is too thin. So instead of cutting a flap they remove a layer completely with alcahol fluid and put a contact lense in for 4 days to protect and help heal. I was advised it would be £3300 but the would do it for £3000. The healing is a lot longer than lasik. I believe it can be very uncomfortable for a while after.

Has anyone had LASEK done?

*heel lol "

Heal. You was right first time!!

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

"I've had a couple of friends who had it done. One swears by it yet another regrets it's everyday as it's dried her eyes resulting in hourly eye drops!! The latter had one of the most experienced surgeons and researched everything but still wasn't good for her

It put me off there is always a risk it depends if you are prepared to take it and dry eyes with constant drops would be hell for me."

It's certainly put me off - 3 years now since she had them done and still constant drops. I'll stick with my glasses

Post new Message to Thread