Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Divorce and problems after?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Im feeling bit confused.

I divorced my husband in August 2013. From that time Im legal Miss and single. All bills and everywhere I change that fact and only his surname is on my mortgage. We have agreement regarding house is mine, I paid off his part for him, and I have confirmation from solistor about our statements. I don't want to change my mortgage because I have really good mortgage and any changes will cost me extra.

Today I had a call from my ex. He was today in council. Council send him a letter regarding my property. I call them 2 years ago to remove him from my bill cos hes move out. They Think we are together ! Cos he is on mortgage? How they know that? And he have to pay back a difference between rates on council tax. Strange cos I dont get any letters.

Im upset because now I have to help him..lots of paperwork etc.

Its not enough in UK to have a divorce document ? Or where can be a problem?

My solistor is on holiday and I dont have chance to get answer :/

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If i understand it correctly, the Council believe he still lives at your address, and somewhat historically write to the male resident rather than a female.

AFAIK the council can recover rates ( Council Tax) against EITHER party.

Visit them and put the true facts to them, with supporting documents, and they should resolve the situation. Eventually.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm no expert and purely guessing but surely the council tax bill for his current address would be useful to show them?

It seems odd that they know about the mortgage, is he still on the electoral roll there? Or have credit linked to the address? To me, I'd figure that they are a more likely source of the problem.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I am guessing a credit check would bring up a morgage on a property?

I am guessing they would have to prove he had been living in the house to give you a revised bill

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

If you are both co owners he has rights to live in the property

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well .. sorted out. Ive been in coucil today. They need only our divorce papers and statements from court regarding house. They didnt have new adress of my ex where he live. I just call and I said he move out and i would like to remove him from bill. I thought it should be enough. and that was a reason of investigation. 2 years he rent a flat and now he bought his own flat. They thought we still live together.

Omg. I was so stressed.

Now just wonder where else I should send copy of divorce papers... to avoid mistakes.

By *omMLMan
over a year ago

The Centre of the Universe

If that's the only one you have had in two years and it's sorted I would not worry about where else you may need to send it.

I once he buys his own place and the credit ref shows him there you should not have any further problems at all.

Post new Message to Thread