Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

no love in yorkshire

Jump to newest

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

apparently if you are helping out with the tour de france in my part of the world, people have been advised not to use our traditional greeting of "hello love" in case it upsets people, vive la difference,i feel slightly insulted,its how we talk in Yorkshire,what do others think

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Alright flower "aka Charlie Williams"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

That's terrible cock.

over a year ago

As a Yorkshireman I think it's pretty shit for them to ask you not to say it.

I don't myself but I know many who do.

over a year ago

"apparently if you are helping out with the tour de france in my part of the world, people have been advised not to use our traditional greeting of "hello love" in case it upsets people, vive la difference,i feel slightly insulted,its how we talk in Yorkshire,what do others think "

Do you have a link to the source of this?

Because it doesn't ring true to me

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

"That's terrible cock. "
ya see we don't use that expression, love

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

"apparently if you are helping out with the tour de france in my part of the world, people have been advised not to use our traditional greeting of "hello love" in case it upsets people, vive la difference,i feel slightly insulted,its how we talk in Yorkshire,what do others think

Because it doesn't ring true to me"

well I didn't make it up, iv just seen it on my Tiscali news page

over a year ago

They should do it in Bristol....

'Ello my Lover'.....

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"apparently if you are helping out with the tour de france in my part of the world, people have been advised not to use our traditional greeting of "hello love" in case it upsets people, vive la difference,i feel slightly insulted,its how we talk in Yorkshire,what do others think

Because it doesn't ring true to me"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/tour-de-france-organisers-hit-back-at-ban-on-traditional-yorkshire-greetings-9274936.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10776912/Fury-as-Tour-de-France-guides-banned-from-using-Yorkshire-greetings.html

over a year ago

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/tour-de-france-organisers-hit-back-at-ban-on-traditional-yorkshire-greetings-9274936.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10776912/Fury-as-Tour-de-France-guides-banned-from-using-Yorkshire-greetings.html"

The independent being the relevant story. It being the one where the Tour organisers say that they've said nothing of the sort.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

If I know Yorkshire folk, and I do, they will do as they damn well please.

over a year ago

Sod em. We're Yorkshireman and women and we'll say it like it is, effin bureaucrat's

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10776912/Fury-as-Tour-de-France-guides-banned-from-using-Yorkshire-greetings.html

The independent being the relevant story. It being the one where the Tour organisers say that they've said nothing of the sort. "

Are you reading the same page as me? as I don't see that at all.

What I do see on it was "A spokesman for the Yorkshire tourist board insisted that the race would “celebrate everything Yorkshire”, and explained that the warnings over language use were issued to avoid “confusion for our overseas visitors"

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

"If I know Yorkshire folk, and I do, they will do as they damn well please. "
too true love,an if they don't like it, well it will all be over in an hour and we got a fair few potholes filled in for nowt

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"If I know Yorkshire folk, and I do, they will do as they damn well please. "

'appen

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

The independent being the relevant story. It being the one where the Tour organisers say that they've said nothing of the sort.

What I do see on it was "A spokesman for the Yorkshire tourist board insisted that the race would “celebrate everything Yorkshire”, and explained that the warnings over language use were issued to avoid “confusion for our overseas visitors""

same thing im reading

By *nigmatic1Woman
over a year ago

A seaside town near you!

Nah then babby

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Eeh bah gum, bloody northerners

over a year ago

The tour goes past our road. I wonder if they'll ban our youngsters from using their usual greeting of "alwigh bruv "

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

What I do see on it was "A spokesman for the Yorkshire tourist board insisted that the race would “celebrate everything Yorkshire”, and explained that the warnings over language use were issued to avoid “confusion for our overseas visitors"same thing im reading "

Then you will see what the OP said was actually true.

People were advised of it. She didn't mention who by

over a year ago

It's too late now but maybe the Tour Organisers should have been told another Yorkshire saying.

If you don't like it, fuck off.

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

"

It's too late now but maybe the Tour Organisers should have been told another Yorkshire saying.

If you don't like it, fuck off. "

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

Friendly

It was your own tourist board who asked people not to use the words.

over a year ago

Bloody cheek I call it. If you want to say it, say it.

over a year ago

"

Wasn't it the Yorkshire tourist board asking you to refrain from saying "love" ?

By *drenaline rushMan
over a year ago

Burnley

It's a free world surly anyone with an once of intelligence would know not to be offended

over a year ago

"

People were advised of it. She didn't mention who by "

Fair point but the significamt point is: "Tour de France organisers insist Yorkshire volunteers can say 'love' to visitors"

The tone of the opening post as I read it (and apologies if it's mistaken) was that it is bemoaning the tour particularly the viva la difference comment. The tour does celebrate difference, and it embraces the culture of the other countries it visits.

It's a shame that someone in Yorkshire seems to be ashamed of how the rest of the world may perceive them

over a year ago

"

Friendly

It was your own tourist board who asked people not to use the words. "

Good point.

But maybe they, the Tourist Board, should embrace aspects of what makes us Yorkshire folks special?

over a year ago

Nowt queer as folk

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

"

Wasn't it the Yorkshire tourist board asking you to refrain from saying "love" ?"

,joking aside,its a very friendly greeting that most of us use,it would be a pity if we couldn't use it,surely its all part of the whole experience,anyway I wont be able to talk to anyone because they are blocking the end of my st off at either end so I wont be able to go out

over a year ago

political correctness gone crazy

I am from Liverpool I talk the way I talk and if England was to lose all its accents the country would be poorer for it.

So respect your own culture and your Greeting .

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

Friendly

It was your own tourist board who asked people not to use the words.

Good point.

But maybe they, the Tourist Board, should embrace aspects of what makes us Yorkshire folks special?

"

I agree and I wonder what they were thinking to even suggest it.

By *aceytop OP   Woman
over a year ago

from a town near you

"

People were advised of it. She didn't mention who by

Fair point but the significamt point is: "Tour de France organisers insist Yorkshire volunteers can say 'love' to visitors"

The tone of the opening post as I read it (and apologies if it's mistaken) was that it is bemoaning the tour particularly the viva la difference comment. The tour does celebrate difference, and it embraces the culture of the other countries it visits.

It's a shame that someone in Yorkshire seems to be ashamed of how the rest of the world may perceive them"

I think you misunderstood my original post completely,i wasn't bemoaning the tour,on the contrary I think it will be very good for the towns and villages it passes through,and in my part of the country we are looking forward to it very much,the (vive la difference) quote was not derogatory at all,i was trying unsuccessfully to point out our differences and to embrace them

Post new Message to Thread