Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

d*unk and i saved my life

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So evie picked a d*unken me up from the train station. She needed petrol and tried to fill the car up whilst the engine was running and I was in it. In my d*unken state I turned the engine off and saved my life.

The things she does just cause I added her tomy life iinsurance.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So evie picked a d*unken me up from the train station. She needed petrol and tried to fill the car up whilst the engine was running and I was in it. In my d*unken state I turned the engine off and saved my life.

The things she does just cause I added her tomy life iinsurance."

Would that be a dangerous thing to do? I've done it with the ignition on before..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

you are undoubtedly a legend in your own lifetime, have you got your pants on over your trousers?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/04/14 21:12:29]

over a year ago

"So evie picked a d*unken me up from the train station. She needed petrol and tried to fill the car up whilst the engine was running and I was in it. In my d*unken state I turned the engine off and saved my life.

Would that be a dangerous thing to do? I've done it with the ignition on before.. "

The two words 'ignition on' should perhaps have alarm bells ringing...

over a year ago

Are you still d*unk?

over a year ago

my petrol cap cant be opened without my key.. meaning leaving car running impossible

over a year ago

Would that be a dangerous thing to do? I've done it with the ignition on before..

The two words 'ignition on' should perhaps have alarm bells ringing... "

Why? does your car usually explode when you turn the engine on?

over a year ago

Don't get this?

over a year ago

filling the tank with the engine running can, and has, made cars explode before. one of the first things my dad, who was police and paramedic so had seen first hand, taught me when teaching me to drive.

over a year ago

Why? does your car usually explode when you turn the engine on?"

Seriously? I have to explain basic science?

over a year ago

I've refuelled with the engine running and lived to tell the tale. The starter motor has gone in a large van and I knew if I turned it off it wouldn't start again.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

they always say to turn the engine off because petrol and its fumes are very volatile.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

My theory on this is....petrol in itself isn't flammable, it's the fumes that are and even then they need a spark to ignite them.

I'm sure an old forumites used to tell a story about how she would throw a lit fag into a bucket of petrol to shit the apprentices up.

Ergo as there was no spark due to the motor running already there was minimal risk of letsbe dying

By *oudnproudWoman
over a year ago

penrith

"my petrol cap cant be opened without my key.. meaning leaving car running impossible "

omg you have a normal face again x

over a year ago

Would that be a dangerous thing to do? I've done it with the ignition on before.. "

Yes very also there is in the implication you may jump in your car and drive off without paying if you haven't blown up

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"My theory on this is....petrol in itself isn't flammable, it's the fumes that are and even then they need a spark to ignite them.

I'm sure an old forumites used to tell a story about how she would throw a lit fag into a bucket of petrol to shit the apprentices up.

Ergo as there was no spark due to the motor running already there was minimal risk of letsbe dying "

over a year ago

"

Yes very also there is in the implication you may jump in your car and drive off without paying if you haven't blown up "

This has made me chuckle

over a year ago

In very cold climates they don't ever turn the engines off, even when filling up because they won't start again. If it was that dangerous you would have to switch the engine off before you entered the filling station and push it out afterwards.

You will be telling me that mobile phones can cause explosions next

over a year ago

evesham

"My theory on this is....petrol in itself isn't flammable, it's the fumes that are and even then they need a spark to ignite them.

Ergo as there was no spark due to the motor running already there was minimal risk of letsbe dying

"

Maybe I'm thinking of diesel

over a year ago

I always put the key in my poket to keep the car safe so no one steels it, I see someone do just that before.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

What other things has Evie! done since you put her on your insurance? That's as good as married.

I love the mask picture, letsbe. You look fantastic.

over a year ago

evesham

To be fair this was before I knew that fact

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"To be fair this was before I knew that fact "

Which fact?

over a year ago

evesham

"To be fair this was before I knew that fact

Which fact?"

The insurance one

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"What other things has Evie! done since you put her on your insurance? That's as good as married.

I love the mask picture, letsbe. You look fantastic."

Thank you

She often plays bounce off the kerbs, and nearly made me wet myself today.

over a year ago

"filling the tank with the engine running can, and has, made cars explode before. one of the first things my dad, who was police and paramedic so had seen first hand, taught me when teaching me to drive. "

was he a fireman as well!!!

over a year ago

"In very cold climates they don't ever turn the engines off, even when filling up because they won't start again. If it was that dangerous you would have to switch the engine off before you entered the filling station and push it out afterwards.

You will be telling me that mobile phones can cause explosions next"

Those old Nanny state chestnuts again! I've filled up many a time with the engine running and survived.

By *hunderstruckMan
over a year ago

Northampton

If it was that dangerous we would have to turn engines off and roll into the station. before filling up and pushing out again before starting up

There's always a risk where petrol and fumes and hot engine parts etc

But fair play to you in your d*unken state .........

Your a hero

Bonnie Tyler's looking for you ,,,,,,

over a year ago

Why? does your car usually explode when you turn the engine on?

Seriously? I have to explain basic science? "

Go for it why does the several thousand explosions per minutes in your engine not normally make your fuel tank explode?

But you opening the cap will given all the other cars starting their ignitions and driving off around you as your filling up.

over a year ago

"they always say to turn the engine off because petrol and its fumes are very volatile. "

Also because if the handbrake isn't on or the car slips out of neutral without anyone inside I can cause havoc in a petrol station....

over a year ago

Filling a car up with petrol or diesel with the engine running is no more dangerous than drinking a glass of clean water.

That is unless an HT lead or coil pack is shorting out and even then the risks are miniscule. Normal 95/98 octane fuel just isn't volatile enough. If it was you wouldn't be able to walk past a petrol station while smoking a cigarette...

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

Funnily enough was at the local Sainsburys this morning putting some fuel in. Left the engine running as usual, cue a male storeworker who was walking across the forecourt running over and telling me I shouldnt put petrol in whilst the engine was running. My response... " Its alright mate I`m putting diesel in, now can I get back to my phone conversation you interrupted"... Look on his face was priceless

over a year ago

"Funnily enough was at the local Sainsburys this morning putting some fuel in. Left the engine running as usual, cue a male storeworker who was walking across the forecourt running over and telling me I shouldnt put petrol in whilst the engine was running. My response... " Its alright mate I`m putting diesel in, now can I get back to my phone conversation you interrupted"... Look on his face was priceless"

Post new Message to Thread