Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Padlocks for Suitcases

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone on here use a specific padlock for their suitcases when travelling? I'm a bit baffled at the selection . And does anyone know what it means when it says large suitcase 101 litre capacity? All help appreciated!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't use a padlock, if they want to nick it or get anything from it they will!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't lock stuff, but only rarely check in, whether going for a 3 day weekend or 3 months. Couriers and shops are my friends.

over a year ago

"Does anyone on here use a specific padlock for their suitcases when travelling? I'm a bit baffled at the selection . And does anyone know what it means when it says large suitcase 101 litre capacity? All help appreciated!"

Realistically any lock you attach to a suitcase can be whipped off with a bolt cutter so get a reasonably priced small combination lock. It won't stop any determined person but you will notice if anyone has tampered with your case and you can make an insurance claim. Its noticing its been tampered with which is paramount.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

If youre going to the States I think you still have to have a TSA approved lock if you do lock your case

over a year ago

I use cable zip ties, not locks. That way the customs can look in it if they wish with a pair of clippers and it's enough of a deterrent for casual thievery.

If someone's that determined to get into it, no farting bag lock will stop them!

over a year ago

"If youre going to the States I think you still have to have a TSA approved lock if you do lock your case"

I never understand that requirement as it means someone can tamper with your bag without your knowledge It negated the "did you pack your own bag, has it been tampered with" as you have to say you don't know. I would much rather they cut the lock off if they need to get it and then explain why rather than on a whim open it and not disclose this to you.

over a year ago

Ive found lime green cable ties just as good. Highly visible if anyone has been in your case as the chance of them having one to replace it with is unlikely. Ive not found a suitcase padlock yet I cant get into with a safety pin or something similar

over a year ago

101 litre capacity is how much volume the case will hold - 101 litres.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"If youre going to the States I think you still have to have a TSA approved lock if you do lock your case

I never understand that requirement as it means someone can tamper with your bag without your knowledge It negated the "did you pack your own bag, has it been tampered with" as you have to say you don't know. I would much rather they cut the lock off if they need to get it and then explain why rather than on a whim open it and not disclose this to you. "

Yep, I dont understand it either

over a year ago

You can get into any case/bag with a simple biro. you push it between the teeth and slide across. Once open you can close the case by zipping up. You are none the wiser. Look it up sure there will be vids on YouTube. It's good if you lose your keys but a lesson to keep expensive items in your hand luggage

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

"Does anyone on here use a specific padlock for their suitcases when travelling? I'm a bit baffled at the selection . And does anyone know what it means when it says large suitcase 101 litre capacity? All help appreciated!"

I just use a cheap combination padlock, if someone wants to get into your case they will do unless your using something near enough bomb-proof. As regards capacity you are better off checking the sizes. 101 litres is just slightly bigger than the standard military issue tri-service bag

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

we never use a lock - never had a problem - if someone wants to steal our clothes then crack on! Z

By *anatee175Couple
over a year ago

Sunderland

If you go to the states and the TSA people open your case they place a card inside saying it was opened and why. They opened ours because of Keith's shoes looked suspicious.

over a year ago

I just don't bother locking it. I travel a lot and have never had an issue.

over a year ago

"I use cable zip ties, not locks. That way the customs can look in it if they wish with a pair of clippers and it's enough of a deterrent for casual thievery.

If someone's that determined to get into it, no farting bag lock will stop them!"

Same here it deters petty thief's they go for the unlocked ones. I have specific cable ties check them when I collect my case and if they have go to the desk to find out what has been happening as its far harder to try and claim at a later date.

over a year ago

A friend once went to Spain, got to the hotel, unpacked and someone had swapped the new trainers inside the case with a pair of crappy old ones 3 sizes too big.

over a year ago

"I don't use a padlock, if they want to nick it or get anything from it they will!"

over a year ago

"A friend once went to Spain, got to the hotel, unpacked and someone had swapped the new trainers inside the case with a pair of crappy old ones 3 sizes too big. "

Ha well it shows you should check your case if its been tampered with it could have been dodgy shit put in the case which would have been worse.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks for the help guys

over a year ago

Padlocks waste of time, they just stick something as basic as pencil in between the zip and it opens, dont put valuables in you cases

over a year ago

"If youre going to the States I think you still have to have a TSA approved lock if you do lock your case

I never understand that requirement as it means someone can tamper with your bag without your knowledge It negated the "did you pack your own bag, has it been tampered with" as you have to say you don't know. I would much rather they cut the lock off if they need to get it and then explain why rather than on a whim open it and not disclose this to you. "

So they can lock it again afterwards and also so they don't have to reimburse everyone for new padlocks.

over a year ago

If going to America make sure it is a TSA padlock. Padlock is optional, if you have a zip fastening case you can into them by using a pen. Delsey cases you get into them by using a torch. Be carefull of wrapping your case in the shrink wrap, as it makes it slippery and your case will get dropped a lot.

Post new Message to Thread