FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

should religious public holidays be optional?

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

The whole easter argument has got me thinking. Should the religious bank holidays be rolled into people's annual leave and be allowed to be taken when ever?

Few people I know gave done anything remotely religious today and it will be the same on Monday.

Where I worked before we were open all year round regardless of bank holidays etc and I found that people of other faiths that didn't celebrate Christmas or easter were happy to work those days in exchange for being allowed to take days off for their religious celebrations.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes, now we live in such a multi cultural society, it should be optional. But what about those of no faith do they have to work all year

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Think a lot of employers would be happy with yoyr suggestion but I also think the Unions might be pissed off if those double, treble and some times quadruple pay benefits suddenly stopped ...

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think statutory holidays are a major benefit that employees have. OK, Scrooge may have been a bit tight at Christmas, but this is a different benefit, above and beyond just a standard leave day.

Allowing people to have mass celebrations and get togethers, and rewarding them financially at much above standard rates is something that employees well deserve.

Salaries have been below inflation for years, so employees must be appropriately recompensed by their benefits package.

8 hours bank holidays is not very much as it stands, compared to other countries.

Also consider those employees who work on zero hours contracts etc, as an indication of how far employee rights etc have fallen.

Having flexibility within one's own package is something that can be tailored, subject to employers being flexible and recognising the value of an employee. But please leave standard benefits alone!!

over a year ago

This already happens where I work. I can choose to change the standard bank holidays to ones of my choosing.

My pay is changed accordingly.

In this day and age it is not a difficult process to manage.

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Yes, now we live in such a multi cultural society, it should be optional. But what about those of no faith do they have to work all year "

They can take them when they want as its in their leave entitlement but they have to work bank holidays or book them off.

over a year ago

Not remotely religious, so bank holidays are usually when Id volunteer for extra hours at time and a half or double time.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Monday isn't a religious holiday day, it is a bank holiday attached to Easter, I think this was originally in lieu of the fact that Easter Day is always a Sunday. We only have two religious holiday dates - Christmas Day and Good Friday.

Employers can roll statutory leave into the annual leave as long as people get them. Shift workers and others already experience this.

over a year ago

No.

Post new Message to Thread