Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How Much is a Billion?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If you stacked $1 bills on top of each other you would have to stack them 63 miles high to have a billion of them.

Euro-officials now want to create a €500bn nest egg to protect the Euro from scenarios like what's happening in Greece at the moment.

A stack of bills 31,500 miles high, no less.

Mind boggling, innit?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i might be wrong but isnt a billion different in america i have a feeling here its a thousand million but in us its a hundred million, not sure about this can anyone confirm

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"i might be wrong but isnt a billion different in america i have a feeling here its a thousand million but in us its a hundred million, not sure about this can anyone confirm"

you are right..... in the US and the UK, and Billion is 2 different things...

in the US, a Billion is a thousand million. so a one followed by nine zeros... 1,000,000,000

in the UK, a Billion is a million million. so a one followed by twelve zeros... 1,000,000,000,000

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I used the reference of a $1 bill because we don't have a £1 note anymore but the accepted worldwide use of the term 'billion' is the U.S. 1,000 million, certainly in the financial sector.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

just had a look in wikipedia.... in 1974 the UK changed from the long scale to the short scale.... so a billion use to the be the one with 12 zero's but is now the one with 9 zero's.....

so whenever you look any offical figures the top one is the one you look at...

over a year ago

"I used the reference of a $1 bill because we don't have a £1 note anymore but the accepted worldwide use of the term 'billion' is the U.S. 1,000 million, certainly in the financial sector."

We still have the £1 note up here in Scotchland.

Also some places up here doesn't have broadband

By *ickedWWoman
over a year ago

Chester

I reckon a Billion is a 'canny bit'

over a year ago

i got pound notes... still legal tender up here!!

and a billion is probably on par with my debt levels...!! x

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"i might be wrong but isnt a billion different in america i have a feeling here its a thousand million but in us its a hundred million, not sure about this can anyone confirm

you are right..... in the US and the UK, and Billion is 2 different things...

in the US, a Billion is a thousand million. so a one followed by nine zeros... 1,000,000,000

in the UK, a Billion is a million million. so a one followed by twelve zeros... 1,000,000,000,000"

In the UK a Billion is a Thousand Million, no difference to the US.

over a year ago

Around here a billion is something someone with a lisp has on the side of their motorbike...

over a year ago

"Around here a billion is something someone with a lisp has on the side of their motorbike... "

would that not be a thide car??

over a year ago

"I used the reference of a $1 bill because we don't have a £1 note anymore but the accepted worldwide use of the term 'billion' is the U.S. 1,000 million, certainly in the financial sector.

Also some places up here doesn't have broadband "

do we?!

over a year ago

"I used the reference of a $1 bill because we don't have a £1 note anymore but the accepted worldwide use of the term 'billion' is the U.S. 1,000 million, certainly in the financial sector.

Also some places up here doesn't have broadband

do we?! "

yup

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Oh hell, I thought they'd been scrapped, didn;t have many but hell where are they

Also some places up here doesn't have broadband "

Post new Message to Thread