Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Some ideas please folks.....

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Debs is out at work all day, and I thought I'd do something nice for her for dinner when she gets home.

The problem is, she is quite fussy over food, and is on that bloody annoying wieght watchers nonsense. So I'm after some ideas as to what I can rustle up from those of you who have a clue what this points rubbish is.

Yes yes, I could google it, but I want to do something she'd appreciate rather than do something by numbers.

And I need some points myself, of the brownie variety

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

salad ?

over a year ago

I like your thinking............ I'd already thought off 'dust' but she says it's just a touch too bland

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Grilled salmon or tuna with a sauce made out of olive oil, garlic and parsley, served with a lightly dressed salad.

That should comply with all the "rules" I believe!

For desserts, I would advise getting one of Weightwatcher's own brand ones, as I can't do low cal desserts, sorry!

Have fun!

over a year ago

Good call on the tuna! I'm liking that. Many thanks

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

pop a few boiled potatoes on as well though

bulk it up with some carbs

I think she's gonna love it that you made such an effort

over a year ago

"pop a few boiled potatoes on as well though

"

Am I best off getting tuna in sunflower oil or brine? Will it all fall apart when I put it in the grill? How many cans for a decent feed?

What are carbs?

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

Am I best off getting tuna in sunflower oil or brine? Will it all fall apart when I put it in the grill? How many cans for a decent feed?

What are carbs?

"

Hey Pearls the cookery expert

Don't pick on me

I do take out and being talken out and not much else

over a year ago

What are carbs?

"

You'll need to grill FRESH tuna, tin stuff will fall apart!

As for carbs, it stands for carbohydrates, as in the likes of potato, pasta, rice etc...

Sorry, I did not know you know very little about food and their preparation.

over a year ago

fresh tuna, not tinned!!!

For dessert get some tropical fruit-pinapple,mango etc and make a salad

over a year ago

grill some chicken or fish and serve with salad

over a year ago

Oh now your just making fun of me. Tuna comes in cans, like mackeral and sardines.

Can you buy potatoes that are already peeled etc. How long do I boil them for?

All top tips gratefully received

over a year ago

Since this could be your first attempt on cooking, I would advise against splashing out on tuna, as it is expensive. If you grill it for too long, it can be tough, dry and horrible!!!

Therefore, I would strongly advise you to try salmon instead as it is cheaper!!!

over a year ago

"fresh tuna, not tinned!!!

For dessert get some tropical fruit-pinapple,mango etc and make a salad"

Salad? With pineapple? Are you sure?

Salad has lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sweetcorn in it. Mangos indeed!

over a year ago

I trust that your last post was posted with your tongue firmly in your cheek, as tuna, mackeral and sardines are usually alive swimming in the sea before they are caught, killed and put into tins!

over a year ago

"Salad? With pineapple? Are you sure?

Salad has lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sweetcorn in it. Mangos indeed!

"

Ever heard of FRUIT salad?

Are you pretending you know nothing about food, or you are really as innocent as you make out to be?

over a year ago

i say sod the weight watcher's just cook somthing lush as she will love it and get the biggest choc cake ever and put it all over you and there is pudding xoxox

over a year ago

This looks like being a nightmare....

Ok, which supermarket does the best ready made meals that I can make look like home cooked food. ie I cheat.

Lidl? Aldi? Mr Patel on Preston Road? Or do I actually have to venture to Tesco et al?

over a year ago

If you really want to treat her to a nice meal and get the best ready meals available, go to Waitrose.

I don't like M&S food as I believe they are over-priced. However, others swear by them!

over a year ago

Shame that you are not in central London, otherwise I would have advised raiding the food hall in Selfridges!

over a year ago

Gosh, I hope he has a huge bulge in his cheek, I thought I was bad!!

From another 'don't cook can't cook' afficionado, I think the watchword has to be "keep it simple"! It doesn't have to be fancy to be appreciated.

over a year ago

Thank you, I'll go and check waitrose out.

over a year ago

I thought grilling fish, making a sauce with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and parsley, and making a salad and dress it in oil and vinegar is simple!

over a year ago

omg a nice post !!! with no one bringing up grudges or past negative experiences, i thought this was impossible!!! well done , hope she enjoys it xxxxx

over a year ago

"I thought grilling fish, making a sauce with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and parsley, and making a salad and dress it in oil and vinegar is simple! "

You've just listed four tasks. It sounds absolutely delicious, but if I make beans on toast, one burns whilst the other is cooking.

Four tasks. Oh my days!

over a year ago

For years Steven and I were too skint to go out for a nice meal - young kids do tend to demand and need new stuff every 2 or 3 days!!

We have been married this year for 8 years and up until last year we (well me really) always made a nice meal at home lit some candles and had some us time after sending the girls to bed early.

Normally the meal consisted of roast chicken (cos its easy to do) tinned veg (again cos its easy and cheap) and boiled tatties.

Pudding was usually a shop bought sticky toffee or apple crumble, which again is very easy to make at home.

This year Steven took me out and to be perfectly honest I spent the whole time thinking why am I in an expensive resturant when I could be at home having a better time with just my husband and not hearing other peoples arguments

Next time we will just stay at home and have more fun

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

How do you feed yourself when your wife is away?

over a year ago

"How do you feed yourself when your wife is away?"

The golden arches are my saviour on such occasions

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 08/05/10 12:35:03]

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Oh now your just making fun of me. Tuna comes in cans, like mackeral and sardines.

Can you buy potatoes that are already peeled etc. How long do I boil them for?

All top tips gratefully received "

Salmon? Go to a supermarket, ask for two pieces of salmon on the fish counter, they put it in a bag with some parsley butter, they seal it, you put it in the oven and 20 minutes later it is cooked.

Fresh salad, with cherry tomatoes and new potatoes with their skins washed and boiled for 20 minutes.

over a year ago

Agree with Shona about staying at home instead of going out!

Without sounding too big headed, I consider myself a good cook, and have a lovely kitchen and catering equipment at home that I enjoy using a lot.

I cannot justify being charged huge sums of money for something I can do equally well at home if not better for much less.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

if you have a george foreman grill i have something superb...

get some chicken fillets...... cut it open and spead some tomato paste in it.... wrap it up in some panchetta.....

put it under the foreman for 7-8 minutes...

just do a salad with it... brilliant summer meal.......

over a year ago

"How do you feed yourself when your wife is away?"

Some men dont get taught to cook by their parents - my husband had no idea what to do with the big white thing in the kitchen when he moved in with me!!!

He honestly thought I wanted beans on toast or deep fried chicken nuggets for a "nice" meal

Now (aften me making him and the oldest stand and take notes while I cooked) he can cook as well as me. Neither of us are chef standard but good quality food none the less.

When I was working late or on holiday Steven used to eat ready meals, take out or go to his mums.

Personally I dont think it matters whether its sons or daughters we have I believe we as parents have a duty to get them ready for adult life which includes cooking, diy, budgeting and housework not just the fun things.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

Lol my mum taught me how to do everything

Do think the knitting went a bit far though xx

over a year ago

"if you have a george foreman grill i have something superb...

get some chicken fillets...... cut it open and spead some tomato paste in it.... wrap it up in some panchetta.....

just do a salad with it... brilliant summer meal......."

That sounds rather yum!

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

I'm hungry now

over a year ago

"Agree with Shona about staying at home instead of going out!

Without sounding too big headed, I consider myself a good cook, and have a lovely kitchen and catering equipment at home that I enjoy using a lot.

I cannot justify being charged huge sums of money for something I can do equally well at home if not better for much less.

"

Ohh Im not a great cook but a nice roast chicken or a bit steak isnt hard to cook. Well not to me anyway

When Steven took me out I honestly sat there thinking I could have made a nice meal for what the starters cost!!

I know that makes me cheap, but I have spent years feeding a family of 4 on a budget, and cannot see why Steven should pay a small fortune just cos we want a nice meal without the kids.

Now we compromise - if we want to go out without the girls we have a pub lunch. Its not to dear and satisfies his pickyness

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"Ohh Im not a great cook but a nice roast chicken or a bit steak isnt hard to cook. Well not to me anyway

When Steven took me out I honestly sat there thinking I could have made a nice meal for what the starters cost!!

I know that makes me cheap, but I have spent years feeding a family of 4 on a budget, and cannot see why Steven should pay a small fortune just cos we want a nice meal without the kids.

Now we compromise - if we want to go out without the girls we have a pub lunch. Its not to dear and satisfies his pickyness

Shona

x x x "

There is nothing cheap about it - I call that smart!!!

And I consider those who boost about how nice and convenient M&S food is as show offs and having more money than sense! MEOW!

Why pay over 20 GBP for a steak with a fancy sauce when the best rib eye cost me a fiver in the best butcher in town, and I can make a superb Diane sauce with mushrooms, garlic, double cream, and parsley, and a good glug of brandy for nearly next to nothing???!!!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

just do a salad with it... brilliant summer meal.......

That sounds rather yum! "

it is fantastic... and so simple and only takes 2-3 minutes to actually make... I don't profess to be a great cook....

over a year ago

"it is fantastic... and so simple and only takes 2-3 minutes to actually make... I don't profess to be a great cook...."

Who cares if one is a good or bad cook providing he/she puts in a bit of effort?

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

I wish I enjoyed cooking more and maybe I would do it more

But I dont so I wont

After years of staying in and cooking to a budget, I must prefer being taken out to eat these days and I am more than happy to pay for my share

Its not boasting

Its a lifestyle choice and no dirty pots to wash, just straight to the bedroom afterwards lol

over a year ago

Dishwasher is a very important invention!

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

salmon is the easiest thing to do,depends if she likes spice,chillies chopped fine and placed on salmon under the grill,15/20 mins,and ready made weight wathers sauce,with salad on side,these come in the bag ready to eat to,

yep im one of the lads here,altough i spent 5 years working as a chef,lol

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

"Dishwasher is a very important invention! "

thing is if you get one, people expect you to use it, like a cooker

If you dont, people offer to take you out or cook for you

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I am with lickmeover, I hate cooking......and Mr R is exactly like the OP......hopeless as even beans on toast !!

over a year ago

"Ohh Im not a great cook but a nice roast chicken or a bit steak isnt hard to cook. Well not to me anyway

Shona

x x x

There is nothing cheap about it - I call that smart!!!

And I consider those who boost about how nice and convenient M&S food is as show offs and having more money than sense! MEOW!

Why pay over 20 GBP for a steak with a fancy sauce when the best rib eye cost me a fiver in the best butcher in town, and I can make a superb Diane sauce with mushrooms, garlic, double cream, and parsley, and a good glug of brandy for nearly next to nothing???!!! "

What butchers are you using hun cos I cant even get a couple chichen breasts for a fiver at my butcher - mind you the butchers I use is good quality and I dont mind paying more for good quality food.

Some eat to live, some live to eat I am the latter

And whats all this sauce with steak?? If I did that to Stevens steak he would kill me. He likes his steak well done (some say thats wrong but its how he likes it) with thick chips peas and carrots, no sauce no salt or pepper no nothing just how it comes. Makes it easier for me cos I dont eat much red meat and never steak so I dont have to make sauces or worry about the meat once I throw it in the oven.

Then I can spent time making me pretty and getting things ready for after the meal.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"I am with lickmeover, I hate cooking......and Mr R is exactly like the OP......hopeless as even beans on toast !!"

When I first lived alone I NEVER cooked at all even tho I was training to become a chef!!

I ate out the local greasy spoon and ordered take out, my reasoning was I spent all day cooking at college why shouldnt I put my feet up at home.

Well that worked til I realised I had no money left to go out with mates

I fell pregnant with my oldest daughter and realised I didnt want her getting my food problems so I decided no matter how much I hated cooking I was going to make sure she eat a varied diet.

When my girls were old enough to stand on a chair in the kitchen I taught them to make fairy cakes and scones (theirs are better than mine!!) now my eldest is 12 she is learning how to plan a weeks menu for us all, helps me order the online tins and sauces (Im to lazy to make them from scratch) goes with us to the fruit and veg shop, altho she (like me) hates the smell of the butchers and fishmongers she does go with me and knows the difference between the good stuff and how much is needed to feed us all for a week.

Anyway the point I was going to make was even tho I hated cooking to begin with I now enjoy mucking about in the kitchen, watching my girls learn new things makes it better than just shutting myself in there and making the tea and hating every second of it.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

Go buy a ww ready meal.

easier me thinks. lmao

over a year ago

I think I should have just taken our lass out for dinner, just set me back nearly £60 in Morrisons!

Mind you two slabs of stella, and a bottle of a fruit based drink for the lady did boost the tally up a touch

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

By the age of 13 I could cook a full sunday roast for a family of five, from scratch.

My mum made us all self sufficient, and it paid off, when my parents ended up working all hours and weekends to pay the mortgage, and my sisters were in the church choir, it was down to me to cook Sunday lunch.

Best ideas are always simple...

they now do great fish in foil bags with sauces included.... whack them in the oven... knock up a simple salad while you wait... (or cheat and buy it ready made in bags again!) Follow it up with something simple from the weightwatchers own-brand sweet trolley (yup, my wife is on it too!) and she will be blown away.!

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Mind you..... my gravey always fails miserably, no idea why.... so I buy granuals.!!

over a year ago

I've gone for......

Free range chicken breats stuffed with tomato and basil, wrapped in bacon.

Linguine with pesto.

Rocket and parmesan salad (avec Paul Newman dressing).

One pre-prepared meal, a couple of jars, a couple of packets. I could get the hang of this cooking lark.

Bon aprez-midi tout le monde

over a year ago

woo sounds lovely !! i was gonna recommend sum steak cooked in fry light ... with poached egg on top and asparagus :P yummeh xxx altho must add... chinese is low in fat , u cud of saved urself lol.. beef n mush or chicken and mush with boiled rice... job done lol

hav a fab evening !!! x

over a year ago

just do a salad with it... brilliant summer meal......

i was gonna say a nice ww twist on _abio' ssyggestions is to fill the chicken breast with extra light garlic and herb philidephia instead of tomatoe paste but looks like ur already pretty much sorted now babe, i'm sure whatever u make she'll love that u made the effort! not sure if u know but for future reference ww make their own wines now, they not very cheap but they already points counted so she can relax when having a cheeky glass knowing it's counted in her diet!

think myself lucky now that not only is my other half a wonderful cook but he also enjoys spoiling me with a meal as much as i do for him, mind u it often leads to a fight for who can get in the kitchen first!!! lmao!

anyway babe good luck tonight hope it all goes well and if all else fails u can always help her work of any extra calories in the bedroom with a good hr of frenzied and passionate love making!!!! hehe!

over a year ago

Awe bless, thanks for the encouragement. Weight watchers wine you say? Where do they sell that then, in the normal supermarkets? I'll go grab a bottle or so if so.

And any excess calories will be getting worked off tonight, that's for sure

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

tesco should have it they do in ireland

over a year ago

most supermarkets stock ww wine now hunny, glad to be off help! xxxx

over a year ago

Thanks guys, I'll pop out before our lass gets home and get some chilled.

over a year ago

good lad!!! if u ever want anymore meal ideas just give a shout as have a load of simple but elegant ww and slimming world reciepes as have been doing same diet myself hun! xxxxxxxx

over a year ago

You girls and that bloody weight watchers! I've checked your profile out, like Debs you too are wasting your money!

I wonder if they'll give us our own cooking forum, with recipe sharing ideas?

I'll start.

Take two rounds of bread, add some grated cheddar and a dash of worcester sauce. Place under a hot grill until golden brown. Eat and enjoy.

Sorry, got to dash, Heston Blumenthal is on the blower after some more hot recipe ideas

over a year ago

lmao! i'll take that as a compliment! don't knock it tho love cos i wasn't always this size and its thanks to the likes of ww that i've started feeling good enough about my body to feel brave enough join a site like fab!!!!! lmao! xxxxx

over a year ago

Right, she's back in 15 minutes. Chicken looks nearly done, wine is in the fridge, pan is on for pasta, and I've got a stella.

Wish me luck folks.......

And if I don't get shagged, someone will, we're off to Bath later too

over a year ago

Good luck, hope all goes according to plan!

By *unterslickCouple
over a year ago

tullamore

for future ref,il send you weight watchers recipes,j has them

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

So.....................

how did it go?

over a year ago

It went very well! Once Debs got over the shock, she really enjoyed it.

We had a top time in Bath later that night too.....

over a year ago

Glad to hear it went well.

Post new Message to Thread