Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

At last some honesty!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Full respect to Mr. Brown for being honest at last. That was a good speech, and from the heart. So it's down the Cameron & Clegg to have a go at seeking a deal first. Well done Brown for putting the country first for once.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Full respect to Mr. Brown for being honest at last. That was a good speech, and from the heart. So it's down the Cameron & Clegg to have a go at seeking a deal first. Well done Brown for putting the country first for once."

actually..... I think that was a very.... very clever move by brown..

He has now put Cameron and the conservative in a spot over Electorial reform by saying that we would get a referendum, which he knows that it is something they cant do....

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

"Full respect to Mr. Brown for being honest at last. That was a good speech, and from the heart. So it's down the Cameron & Clegg to have a go at seeking a deal first. Well done Brown for putting the country first for once."

its like taking on a bride,from thailand.is it really love,and how long can it last.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

"Full respect to Mr. Brown for being honest at last. That was a good speech, and from the heart. So it's down the Cameron & Clegg to have a go at seeking a deal first. Well done Brown for putting the country first for once.

He has now put Cameron and the conservative in a spot over Electorial reform by saying that we would get a referendum, which he knows that it is something they cant do...."

But neither can Brown! Or at least neither WOULD Brown! Labour promised us a referendum on Europe at the 2005 election, but backed out once in power because it didn't suit their needs!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Full respect to Mr. Brown for being honest at last. That was a good speech, and from the heart. So it's down the Cameron & Clegg to have a go at seeking a deal first. Well done Brown for putting the country first for once.

He has now put Cameron and the conservative in a spot over Electorial reform by saying that we would get a referendum, which he knows that it is something they cant do....

But neither can Brown! Or at least neither WOULD Brown! Labour promised us a referendum on Europe at the 2005 election, but backed out once in power because it didn't suit their needs! "

but this time they know they can't do that because of the election

I would assume that this time the lib dems would insist it was put in the queens speech as one of the things they would do in year 1...... or any deal is a non starter!!!

over a year ago

Cameron would be crazy to deny that the country demand electoral reform. He would be foolish to not offer Clegg a deal on reform (which doesn't have to be PR) and Clegg would be irresponsible to give up the power to get electoral reform when he's so close to it.

Everything points towards a Con-Lib Pact. It will be folly to chase any other deal, folly for them, and folly for us.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

but the LibDems are generally more radical than labour! - the constituency parties would revolt if Clegg got in bed with the vermin - sorry, the Tories

over a year ago

Well it looks like no one will be totally happy in the end. I guess we all need to prepare for the next election in the winter

over a year ago

"but the LibDems are generally more radical than labour! - the constituency parties would revolt if Clegg got in bed with the vermin - sorry, the Tories"

Then its time they grew up too and faced the fact that with electoral reform just around the corner a hung parliament is going to be quite a common occurence. I'm warming to the prospect of that the more I think about it, and Germany has proven how workable it is.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I would be extremely surprised if Cameron never agreed to a referendum to be held within the first year of parliament regarding PR, the danger for the Lib Dems is that Cameron agrees to it then calls another election before such a referendum is held.

Have to agree that Brown underlined his experience in politics by very tactically announcing in his press call this afternoon that Labour would hold such a referendum, he has taken a punt on the Lib Dems and the Tories not coming to an agreement, a very clever move from a man with nothing to lose.

over a year ago

I'll bet there is a lot of talking to do all round this weekend. It will be interesting to see what Clegg does if he doesn't get a good offer from the Conservatives.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 07/05/10 18:01:41]

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It won't be Clegg's decision, he is bound by Lib Dem party rules to call an emergency meeting of party members to make that decision by a closed vote.

By *eorge17Man
over a year ago

Leven

"I would be extremely surprised if Cameron never agreed to a referendum to be held within the first year of parliament regarding PR, the danger for the Lib Dems is that Cameron agrees to it then calls another election before such a referendum is held.

Have to agree that Brown underlined his experience in politics by very tactically announcing in his press call this afternoon that Labour would hold such a referendum, he has taken a punt on the Lib Dems and the Tories not coming to an agreement, a very clever move from a man with nothing to lose."

Surely Dave would not be so devious

over a year ago

"I would be extremely surprised if Cameron never agreed to a referendum to be held within the first year of parliament regarding PR, the danger for the Lib Dems is that Cameron agrees to it then calls another election before such a referendum is held.

Have to agree that Brown underlined his experience in politics by very tactically announcing in his press call this afternoon that Labour would hold such a referendum, he has taken a punt on the Lib Dems and the Tories not coming to an agreement, a very clever move from a man with nothing to lose.

Surely Dave would not be so devious "

I don't think Clegg is inexperienced enough to agree to something verbally without having some sort of legal backup to see it through.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I don't think Clegg is inexperienced enough to agree to something verbally without having some sort of legal backup to see it through."

Until a referendum has been held the promise of one is not legally binding in the House of Commons....remember previous promises of referendums by bot the Labour and Conservative parties?

I would be most surprised that Clegg could have such an agreement written up and deemed as legally binding.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I don't think Clegg is inexperienced enough to agree to something verbally without having some sort of legal backup to see it through.

Until a referendum has been held the promise of one is not legally binding in the House of Commons....remember previous promises of referendums by bot the Labour and Conservative parties?

I would be most surprised that Clegg could have such an agreement written up and deemed as legally binding."

it wouldn't be.... and it is an interesting situation you bring up and it would be feasible... however I feel that any electoral reform would have to be in year 1, because with the scale of cuts they are looking at making unless someone really mad happens he is going to want to cling on......

the fear the other way round is that clegg gets his deal.. gets the referendum passed and then says "see ya"... but at this stage the biggest potential losers in any form of PR would be the tories...

what I understand the tories are putting forward is an all party committee of enquiry into electoral reform... which means that would get bogged down for years with no promise of anything actually happening.... I don't think that is anywhere near good enough for the Lib Dems....

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

They held the first all party committee meeting into PR in June 1929, there have been 17 further committees since then according to BBC Radio News today.

They have all been half hearted affairs which is why I am confident that the Lib/Con coalition may not see the light of day.....

over a year ago

Whichever party forces another election within 12 months of this one will get a bloody good spanking at the ballot box.

Post new Message to Thread