Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Petrol

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I read in this mornng's financials that BP's first quarter profits are up by 135% to $5.65 BILLION.......in just the FIRST quarter!!!!!

And petrol still being sold at a ludicrously high price per litre......the fecking cheek of it!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I read in this mornng's financials that BP's first quarter profits are up by 135% to $5.65 BILLION.......in just the FIRST quarter!!!!!

And petrol still being sold at a ludicrously high price per litre......the fecking cheek of it!! "

Ever feel like you've been mugged good and proper.... legally.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i absolutely HATE buying petrol - they can charge what they like because at the end of the day what are we going to do? Nothing!

over a year ago

think we need another protest, and dont forget that over 70% goes in tax to buy duck houses

over a year ago

"think we need another protest, and dont forget that over 70% goes in tax to buy duck houses"

there is to be a protest on the 1st of may that has been organized through a facebook campaign

over a year ago

I think the time has come for a long drawn out battle with both the govt and the petrol companies. We should blockade every fuel outlet in the country once a week until they drastically reduce the cost of fuel. To minimise the impact on business and employment as well as safeguarding people's wages we should do it on a Saturday. Every Saturday until they realise that we've reached our limit regarding the legalised robbery that the fuel companies are conducting.

over a year ago

"think we need another protest, and dont forget that over 70% goes in tax to buy duck houses

there is to be a protest on the 1st of may that has been organized through a facebook campaign"

It sounds as though it's a biker's rolling roadblock in the North West starting at Hartshead Moor Services on the M62 and then heading for Manchester finishing at Rock Radio. Not sure what they are trying to do with that but it won't bring the prices down.

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Nor will your previous suggestion, it just means they have a bumper Sunday, forecourt staff and tanker drivers work 7 days.

Sod the "impact on business, employment and safeguarding wages", if you take that attitude, you might as well send a timid letter to the chancellor asking ever-so-nicely if he wouldn't mind lowering duty on fuel, if that's ok with him, but only if it's not too much trouble, he's a very busy man and you hate to trouble him. You have to break eggs to make an omelette, the only time anything ever gets done is when drastic action is taken, not when everyone is being awfully civil.

We are being stiffed, thanks to a Govt who have consistently ground this country down, all nicely disguised by the fact that we have nice flat screen tellies, so everything is rosy on the surface. From having to claw back the billions they have pissed up the wall to using bogus "green" issues, they are using the motorist as a passive cash cow, and I for one, am sick to the back teeth of it.

If they claim it's beyond govt control, then they are saying we are in hock to the massive oil companies, just like those crazy, whacky conspiracy theorists said when we invaded Iraq. Which is it HM Govt? Are we being fucked by you or the oil companies?

Either way, I, and I suspect all of you, want cheaper petrol, that is the will of the people. If they won't or can't do something about it, they should roll over (preferably into a quicklime pit in the woods) and let someone else act on our behalf.

Not saying any other political party has got the wherewithal to free us from the yoke, but there you go. Personally, I urge you to vote. With a bullet.

If petrol is going to cost me £7.00 per gallon, I'd rather use the fuel for some Soweto Necklaces, starting with that pair of Scotch cunts in 10 and 11 Downing St.

Erm, not that I feel particularly strongly about it, or anything.

over a year ago

"... starting with that pair of Scotch cunts in 10 and 11 Downing St... "

What does their nationality have to do with it???

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

Its the tax that costs a fortune

My local BP station was advertising a vacancy to meet minimum wage for the responsibilty of night work so the front line staff are not getting this money

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

"... starting with that pair of Scotch cunts in 10 and 11 Downing St...

What does their nationality have to do with it??? "

The West Lothian question.

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

What does their nationality have to do with it??? "

....... not to mention the fact it's easier to put than "that cunt with the stupid eyebrows and that other shuffling, drooling, cushion-faced cyclops cunt who lives next door to him."

over a year ago

....... not to mention the fact it's easier to put than "that cunt with the stupid eyebrows and that other shuffling, drooling, cushion-faced cyclops cunt who lives next door to him.""

no name calling

over a year ago

The West Lothian question."

Don't really catch your meaning there...

By the way, if you are going to round off an otherwise great point of view with a bit casual racism, at least get the wording right. Its Scottish cunts, not Scotch cunts!!! What are you, American??

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

About 3/4 of the pump price is tax, so if you feel that strongly about blockades, go blockade number 10.

Driving around (using petrol) as a protest against the cost of petrol seems rather silly really. Why not just burn some tenners in the street?

Yes, oil companies make a lot of money. So do banks (usually). If you want a share in the profit, buy a share in the company! If you object to there being a profit at all, vote Communist Party.

over a year ago

"About 3/4 of the pump price is tax, so if you feel that strongly about blockades, go blockade number 10.

Driving around (using petrol) as a protest against the cost of petrol seems rather silly really. Why not just burn some tenners in the street?

Yes, oil companies make a lot of money. So do banks (usually). If you want a share in the profit, buy a share in the company! If you object to there being a profit at all, vote Communist Party.

"

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty weak argument. For a start, buying shares will get you a pathetic return on your money unless you buy millions of shares. As for Communism, sheesh, would you REALLY want to live under such a regime?

When the oil companies gloat about 135% profits of £5bn in the first quarter of the year then that's akin to saying, "Thanks, you bunch of stupid gullible twats."

I'm all in favour of an annual price cap. What costs something on Jan 2 should cost the same on Dec 31st, then a reasonable rise on Jan 1 of 2% above inflation. No company needs to make obscene profits of £5bn/quarter. It begs the question of just how much money do they have on deposit as these kinds of profits are posted regularly, and if that's the case, I'm sure they can ride out a fluctuation in crude prices over the course of a year. They are profiteering, that much is absolutely clear, but because the govt relies heavily on the tax that oil raises the govt are unwilling bedfellows of the oil companies. It's almost like the govt have no choice but to be turned over and fucked up the arse by BP in return for the revenues that we the taxpayer give it, and the govt fuck us up the arse in return.

When you realise how all closely linked it is you get sudden sense of hopelessness as it hits you that no govt is ever going to reduce petrol prices to more affordable and realistic levels.

We're screwed basically.

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

"The West Lothian question.

By the way, if you are going to round off an otherwise great point of view with a bit casual racism, at least get the wording right. Its Scottish cunts, not Scotch cunts!!! What are you, American??"

Well, I won't explain the West Lothian Question, Google is your friend. Even so, I just lobbed that one in there, that issue had little to do with my sentiments on petrol prices, their nationality is simply the common denominator between the two people (apart from cuntish-ness).

How do you know I'm not American, and would it be an issue if I was? Of course not, but best be careful in case some twitchy Yank takes offence.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with my wording, apart from in your perception. My apologies if you thought I was being offensive (or using "casual racism") but Scotch was the accepted adjective from at least the 18th century in England and Scotland, over the term "Scottish" (Eng.) or "Scots" (Sc). Indeed, that well-known (American?) poet, Robert, sorry, Rabbie Burns used the term many times in his work.

Only in the 20th Century did some Scotch people decide that it was a derogatory term, and in 1982 the OED abandoned the use of Scotch as a sop to those sensibilities. Many Scottish people, my Grandfather - born and bred in Glasgow - among them, use(d) the word "Scotch", or rather, "Scoatch". Me, as a rebel against any politically correct emasculation of the English language in case it offends anyone, prefer to use the word "Scotch".

And to wind Scotch people up, obviously.

over a year ago

"The West Lothian question.

By the way, if you are going to round off an otherwise great point of view with a bit casual racism, at least get the wording right. Its Scottish cunts, not Scotch cunts!!! What are you, American??

Well, I won't explain the West Lothian Question, Google is your friend. Even so, I just lobbed that one in there, that issue had little to do with my sentiments on petrol prices, their nationality is simply the common denominator between the two people (apart from cuntish-ness).

How do you know I'm not American, and would it be an issue if I was? Of course not, but best be careful in case some twitchy Yank takes offence.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with my wording, apart from in your perception. My apologies if you thought I was being offensive (or using "casual racism") but Scotch was the accepted adjective from at least the 18th century in England and Scotland, over the term "Scottish" (Eng.) or "Scots" (Sc). Indeed, that well-known (American?) poet, Robert, sorry, Rabbie Burns used the term many times in his work.

Only in the 20th Century did some Scotch people decide that it was a derogatory term, and in 1982 the OED abandoned the use of Scotch as a sop to those sensibilities. Many Scottish people, my Grandfather - born and bred in Glasgow - among them, use(d) the word "Scotch", or rather, "Scoatch". Me, as a rebel against any politically correct emasculation of the English language in case it offends anyone, prefer to use the word "Scotch".

And to wind Scotch people up, obviously.

"

It's them Welshish ones you wanna look out for... they'll have ya gonads on plate before you can say 'Scotch Uncle'!!

over a year ago

If people from ENGland and called ENGlish, and people from SCOTland are called SCOTtish and people from IREland are daft buggers... why aren't people from Wales caled Wilsh???

over a year ago

"If people from ENGland and called ENGlish, and people from SCOTland are called SCOTtish and people from IREland are daft buggers... why aren't people from Wales caled Wilsh??? "

oi my ancesters come from Ireland lol xx

over a year ago

"If people from ENGland and called ENGlish, and people from SCOTland are called SCOTtish and people from IREland are daft buggers... why aren't people from Wales caled Wilsh???

oi my ancesters come from Ireland lol xx "

So did one of mine but I rarely mention it.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

We have had this discussion before on here regarding petrol prices at the pump in relation to the tax per litre paid to the treasury....

It's simple really, BP may have announced obscene profits but less will have been made on petrol and diesel sold in the UK than in other countries it is retailed in by BP.

If the government were to lop 10% off of the fuel duty at midnight tonight all the petrol companies would do is increase their prices to make more profits per litre at the pump.

Fuel taxes in France for instance are less than the UK but you would be struggling to find Diesel or Petrol in many parts of France that is less than 120-130 Euros a litre at the moment.

The hard truth is that 120p a litre for unleaded in the UK means less profit per litre for the likes of BP and Texaco than it does in much of the continent.

All three main political parties realise this which is why there is no reference to fuel duty in any of the three manifestos of the main parties.

According to the Economist magazine petrol companies make an average (pre running costs) profit of 14p a litre on petrol sold in the UK compared to an average 27p per litre average on the continent.

By *cotscple4funCouple
over a year ago

lanarkshire

[Removed by poster at 27/04/10 18:36:48]

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Companies like BP make only a small proportion of their profit from forecourts… it’s why they have closed so many. Haven’t you ever noticed we get told time and time again about the increasing number of cars on our roads and yet have you noticed there are less and less petrol stations? My local petrol station gets further away every year as they keep closing down. I can think of 6 petrol stations near to me which have closed in the last 3-4 years… on the upside I now have 4 hand car washes nearby.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"

I'm all in favour of an annual price cap. What costs something on Jan 2 should cost the same on Dec 31st, then a reasonable rise on Jan 1 of 2% above inflation.."

How are you going to measure inflation under pricecapping, in order to then increase prices by a further 2%? Unless my maths is as woolly as you think my other arguments were, you're into an exponential pricing curve there.

This is why I normally stick to the "how sensitive are your tits threads" - I end up getting too deep into an argument.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Copy and paste of the story in the Guardian about BPs profits -

"BP has smashed City forecasts with a 135% jump in profits, thanks to rising oil prices.

The energy giant reported profits of $5.6bn (£3.6bn) in the first three months of 2010, up from $2.4bn a year ago. Analysts had expected a figure of around $4.8bn on a replacement cost profit basis, which strips out fluctuations in the value of oil inventories.

The unexpectedly large jump in earnings was mainly thanks to BP's exploration and production arm, which benefited from oil prices of up to $84 a barrel during the quarter. In early 2009 the oil price fell below $33 a barrel. The rally over the last year has helped oil producers, but hurt motorists who are now facing record petrol prices at the pumps."

Petrol isn't how Oil Companies make their biggest profits, it's getting the crude oil out in the first place and selling it at the market value (which is set by the worldwide demand for the oil) and as the explosion last week at a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico (BP rig) shows it's not plain sailing for the Oil Companies either, so I doubt BP were gloating about announcing their profits (they have to by law) and seriously doubt even more they were saying "Thanks, you bunch of stupid gullible twats." as has been said in this thread!

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

you would have thought with planes not using fuel the prices would have dropped with the old supply and demand thing!

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"you would have thought with planes not using fuel the prices would have dropped with the old supply and demand thing! "

It may well do in the future, seeing as the cost of the oil to make the fuel (they would have been using if they were flying) would have been set months previously when the refinery agreed to buy it from the Oil Company

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"you would have thought with planes not using fuel the prices would have dropped with the old supply and demand thing!

It may well do in the future, seeing as the cost of the oil to make the fuel (they would have been using if they were flying) would have been set months previously when the refinery agreed to buy it from the Oil Company "

do planes use the same fuel as cars then

over a year ago

"

I'm all in favour of an annual price cap. What costs something on Jan 2 should cost the same on Dec 31st, then a reasonable rise on Jan 1 of 2% above inflation..

How are you going to measure inflation under pricecapping, in order to then increase prices by a further 2%? Unless my maths is as woolly as you think my other arguments were, you're into an exponential pricing curve there.

This is why I normally stick to the "how sensitive are your tits threads" - I end up getting too deep into an argument."

The whole purpose of inflation is to measure performance on a year by year basis. Companies need to show that they have performed better than the previous year so that it's shareholders are justified in keeping their money in said company. Who's to say that we need this level of capitalism, why not simply have a system that provides for it's citizens and allows a modest price rise to be built into it. Who needs $5.4bn every quarter, what purpose does is provide? Where does the money go? To the shareholders!

I know I'm talking hypothetically but it's borne out of frustration that my car needs £60 worth of fuel to fill it up when last year it required £50 to fill the tank. I have to pay these increased prices so that the bloody government can redistribute my money to malingerers and wasters who pay nothing into the system. I'm just so angry about it.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"you would have thought with planes not using fuel the prices would have dropped with the old supply and demand thing!

It may well do in the future, seeing as the cost of the oil to make the fuel (they would have been using if they were flying) would have been set months previously when the refinery agreed to buy it from the Oil Company

do planes use the same fuel as cars then "

Oil is the main commodity. From oil you create aviation fuel, petrol, diesel etc through a precess called fractional distillation. (ok there are other methods too) The oil fields cant be turned on and off at the drop of a hat so i was wondering if there was a glut in fuel which might drive prices down!

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

do planes use the same fuel as cars then "

Not quite the same as cars nope lol

Quote from Wiki -

"Aviation fuel is a specialized type of petroleum-based fuel used to power aircraft. It is generally of a higher quality than fuels used in less critical applications such as heating or road transport, and often contains additives to reduce the risk of icing or explosion due to high temperatures, amongst other properties."

over a year ago

Quote from Wiki -

"Aviation fuel is a specialized type of petroleum-based fuel used to power aircraft. It is generally of a higher quality than fuels used in less critical applications such as heating or road transport, and often contains additives to reduce the risk of icing or explosion due to high temperatures, amongst other properties." "

you beat me to it... how come you are not on all four?

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Quote from Wiki -

"Aviation fuel is a specialized type of petroleum-based fuel used to power aircraft. It is generally of a higher quality than fuels used in less critical applications such as heating or road transport, and often contains additives to reduce the risk of icing or explosion due to high temperatures, amongst other properties."

you beat me to it... how come you are not on all four?"

Pmsl I have decided I want to be a free cat tonight instead of a collared dog

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Quote from Wiki -

"Aviation fuel is a specialized type of petroleum-based fuel used to power aircraft. It is generally of a higher quality than fuels used in less critical applications such as heating or road transport, and often contains additives to reduce the risk of icing or explosion due to high temperatures, amongst other properties." "

True but you can vary the percentage of ethanol extracted from oil depending on demand. At one point there was a higher demand for mid octane ie petroleum now that demand is lower and a bigger % or hi octane for aviation fuel is required and the lower octane diesel. Either way the arabs and the opec countries are on a winner.

over a year ago

Quote from Wiki -

you beat me to it... how come you are not on all four?

Pmsl I have decided I want to be a free cat tonight instead of a collared dog "

We have ways of training alley cats...

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"

I'm all in favour of an annual price cap. What costs something on Jan 2 should cost the same on Dec 31st, then a reasonable rise on Jan 1 of 2% above inflation..

This is why I normally stick to the "how sensitive are your tits threads" - I end up getting too deep into an argument.

The whole purpose of inflation is to measure performance on a year by year basis. Companies need to show that they have performed better than the previous year so that it's shareholders are justified in keeping their money in said company. Who's to say that we need this level of capitalism, why not simply have a system that provides for it's citizens and allows a modest price rise to be built into it. Who needs $5.4bn every quarter, what purpose does is provide? Where does the money go? To the shareholders!

I know I'm talking hypothetically but it's borne out of frustration that my car needs £60 worth of fuel to fill it up when last year it required £50 to fill the tank. I have to pay these increased prices so that the bloody government can redistribute my money to malingerers and wasters who pay nothing into the system. I'm just so angry about it. "

As you say yourself, it's the Government who set the tax values on the fuel so it's not the Oil Companies making the most money on the cost of petrol/diesel to fill your tank it's our own elected members!

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Quote from Wiki -

True but you can vary the percentage of ethanol extracted from oil depending on demand. At one point there was a higher demand for mid octane ie petroleum now that demand is lower and a bigger % or hi octane for aviation fuel is required and the lower octane diesel. Either way the arabs and the opec countries are on a winner. "

True also, but it still doesn't stop our own Government slapping their high taxes on the petrol/diesel we all need to fill our tanks up with, that's why the cost is so high here compared to other countries.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"you beat me to it... how come you are not on all four?

We have ways of training alley cats..."

I will need to find out more on this later lol x

over a year ago

I will need to find out more on this later lol x"

Are we cruising...?

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I will need to find out more on this later lol x"

Alley Cat eh!

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Alley Cat eh!"

It's more fun than a trained house cat

over a year ago

Alley Cat eh!

It's more fun than a trained house cat "

He knows his stuff - he must have escaped from his former Mistress...

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Alley Cat eh!

He knows his stuff - he must have escaped from his former Mistress... "

Or 2!

over a year ago

Alley Cat eh!

Or 2! "

Can see the need for a more formal interview and references from previous employers

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Lets not forget the oil storage depot that caught fire a couple of years ago. As well as the lost product, there would have bben an increased cost in tranporting the fuel from other areas.

The other thing, when the VAT went down to 15%, two pence per litre was added to the cost to compensate. When the VAT went back up, was the two pence taken off? Was it hell!!!

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Alley Cat eh!

Or 2!

Can see the need for a more formal interview and references from previous employers "

References available on request - or is it just the verifications that's needed?

over a year ago

Alley Cat eh!

Or 2!

Can see the need for a more formal interview and references from previous employers

References available on request - or is it just the verifications that's needed? "

Well, verifications are not always what they seem to be - so I think we need more substantial evidence of previous ownership and service manual -

What ARE your credentials?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

These are the current average unleaded petrol prices in the main European countries (as of April 19th)

Source; Royal Automobile Club

Belgium 146 Euros

Germany 143 Euros

France 141 Euros

Spain 119 Euros

Italy 135 Euros

Holland 157 Euros

Ireland 129 Euros

Great Britain 132 Euros

So lets be serious before we talk about the UK having the highest petrol prices.

Lower fuel taxes in other European nations.....yes

Lower fuel prices in other European nations.....no

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Alley Cat eh!

Or 2!

References available on request - or is it just the verifications that's needed?

Well, verifications are not always what they seem to be - so I think we need more substantial evidence of previous ownership and service manual -

What ARE your credentials? "

Too many to list on the forums pmsl

over a year ago

Alley Cat eh!

Or 2!

Too many to list on the forums pmsl "

getting cocky, are we? tut tut tut...

That will need addressing..

Now behave til this Mistress is back from attending to somebody's needs...

Petillante... please keep an eye on this one

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

These are the current average unleaded petrol prices in the main European countries (as of April 19th)

Source; Royal Automobile Club

Belgium 146 Euros

Germany 143 Euros

France 141 Euros

Spain 119 Euros

Italy 135 Euros

Holland 157 Euros

Ireland 129 Euros

Great Britain 132 Euros

So lets be serious before we talk about the UK having the highest petrol prices.

Lower fuel taxes in other European nations.....yes

Lower fuel prices in other European nations.....no

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"

Petillante... please keep an eye on this one"

Sure we'll make him Purrrrrrrrrrrrfect

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"

"

Feeling like a cat who has got the cream now

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"

Feeling like a cat who has got the cream now "

High Octane

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"

High Octane "

Yeah BP Avgas 80, 44.65 MJ/kg - to be precise!

over a year ago

"

High Octane

Yeah BP Avgas 80, 44.65 MJ/kg - to be precise! "

How come YOU know this???

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"

High Octane

Yeah BP Avgas 80, 44.65 MJ/kg - to be precise!

How come YOU know this???"

Just one of those things you pick up along the way

Post new Message to Thread