Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Your England world cup squad

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So no more friendlies before Roy picks his 23. But who would you go for? It's a bit like your preferences on here, do your prefer youth over experience?? Do you like your men big and manly, or lithe and boyish.

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Johnson, Cahill, Terry, Jagielka, Baines, Walker, Cole, Davies

Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Lailana, Lampard, Townsend, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Huddlestone, Barkley

Rooney, Sturridge, Carroll

Wilshere misses out as I think his injury will make it hard for him to make it, and other than Rooney I can't make a case for any United players who look hopelessly short of confidence and form. Carroll gets in as he offers something different it needed from the bench. And Cole just gets the nod over Shaw but only just!

So go on, shoot me down, tell me I'm mad and let me know who you think should go.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Would love to see Terry there but it won't happen

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Ive seen on twitter this morning that one of the players from Wednesday night is due to have a big 'Reveal All' with The Sun on Sunday and is coming out.

As not to de-rail the thread:

I'd say you have it just about correct other than Shaw for Ashley Cole.

If the rumours are true whoever it is gives Roy a headache as he won't want to be seen as leaving a gay player behind for Brazil.

Its a conspiracy theory but maybe its a fringe player rather than a dead cert.

over a year ago

i think you are a bit short up front with just 3 strikers, plus davies in defence? and huddlestone? are defo a no.. IMO

over a year ago

The German squad

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

shearer, sheringham, gazza, even lineka we wont be there long enough to worry these boys fitness wise

over a year ago

"i think you are a bit short up front with just 3 strikers, plus davies in defence? and huddlestone? are defo a no.. IMO "

It is a good point,but with 4-2-3-1 likely to be the starting formation that you have options from the midfield to provide the attacking options. The danger is injury.

over a year ago

It wont make any difference lol, Messi and Aguero are going to totally dominate the tournament

over a year ago

Agree with the op but I'd have Shaw in for Baines & Wilshire is only out for six weeks so, unlike some, he'll be fresher than most midfielders by June, so no huddlestone for me.

over a year ago

"It wont make any difference lol, Messi and Aguero are going to totally dominate the tournament "

Both injury prone and have yet to deliver at major tournaments (yes, I am clutching at straws!). Problem with the current England squad is that there is no player other countries might look at and fear.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Agree with the op but I'd have Shaw in for Baines & Wilshire is only out for six weeks so, unlike some, he'll be fresher than most midfielders by June, so no huddlestone for me."

Why for Baines and not Ashley Cole?

over a year ago

well to be honest , id like to see england do well , but after watching ye play vs denmark the other night with that formation, it was dismal, very poor, and they will come unstuck versus a real team , i think they should revert back to 2 up front and attack! im irish btw , so just my opinion!

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"It wont make any difference lol, Messi and Aguero are going to totally dominate the tournament

Both injury prone and have yet to deliver at major tournaments (yes, I am clutching at straws!). Problem with the current England squad is that there is no player other countries might look at and fear."

Rooney

over a year ago

"Agree with the op but I'd have Shaw in for Baines & Wilshire is only out for six weeks so, unlike some, he'll be fresher than most midfielders by June, so no huddlestone for me."

Shaw instead of Baines? Or Cole? And yep, if Wilshere is fit he gets my vote ahead of Huddlestone, but I have my doubts he will make it, certainly a risk given his injury issues over the past 2 years.

over a year ago

"It wont make any difference lol, Messi and Aguero are going to totally dominate the tournament

Both injury prone and have yet to deliver at major tournaments (yes, I am clutching at straws!). Problem with the current England squad is that there is no player other countries might look at and fear."

With Messi's vision and ability on the ball combined with Aguero's goal scoring is gonna be a very very hard combination to defend against

over a year ago

Townsend should definitely be in his speed and attacking form are excellent !!

over a year ago

Both injury prone and have yet to deliver at major tournaments (yes, I am clutching at straws!). Problem with the current England squad is that there is no player other countries might look at and fear.

Rooney"

Not in the same class as Ronaldo, Suarez, Messi, Ibrahamovic, Hazard, Lahm, Iniesta, Bale etc.

A very good player and maybe this will be the platform to elevate him to the top level, I hope so.

over a year ago

Give them a one way ticket they are crap

over a year ago

"Give them a one way ticket they are crap "

But come the first game in June we will all be watching, anticipation high, excitement pouring from every pore and hoping, just hoping, that they can make us proud!

over a year ago

After seeing Rooney play the other night and his previous world cup efforts i would leave him out , over rated over paid and a shadow of his former skill.

The sad thing is he is our best hope as a striker to score !!!

over a year ago

I think if we get out the group everyone should get the bunting out and have a street party.

We are woefully short at centre back and that will be our undoing.

What ever happens at the tournament Cole, Lampard and Gerrard should pack it in. After this tournament if Rooney does not live up to his unjustified world class tag he should be moved on as well.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

when were in the position that Andy Carrol is on anyones list it speaks volumes about the sheer lack of homegrown players playing at the top level..

one downside of sky..

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Rooney

Not in the same class as Ronaldo, Suarez, Messi, Ibrahamovic, Hazard, Lahm, Iniesta, Bale etc.

A very good player and maybe this will be the platform to elevate him to the top level, I hope so."

Im a Welsh fan first, then an England fan or any other home nation for that matter.

Of all of Englands players its Rooney that I fear the most.

Those other guys play for other teams, the original statement wasnt to compare them, just who would other countries fear if anyone at all.

He's not the player he was, but he's a lot better than at the start of the current season.

over a year ago

"when were in the position that Andy Carrol is on anyones list it speaks volumes about the sheer lack of homegrown players playing at the top level..

one downside of sky.."

I agree, but looking at the youngsters having a major impact in temas challenging at the top at the moment, Sturrudige, Barkley, Shaw, Sterling, Townsend, Lailana, Wilshere etc, I feel that the tide maybe turning and hopefully the changes to coaching at youth level will start to see more English players coming through the system. And for his faults, Carroll can be unplayable at times and few centre halves will want to mark him!

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Rooney Sturridge

Lialana Gerrard Barry/Hudd Townsend

Baines Cahill ?? Walker

Hart

That won't win the WC but it offers balance and youth for future tournaments.

Stuck on the other CB

over a year ago

"Rooney Sturridge

Baines Cahill ?? Walker

Hart

Stuck on the other CB

"

Good squad apart from this change....

Sturridge

Baines Cahill Terry Walker

Hart

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Rooney Sturridge

Baines Cahill ?? Walker

Hart

Stuck on the other CB

Good squad apart from this change....

Sturridge

Baines Cahill Terry Walker

Hart

"

Yeah Terry will do for me.

I honestly think if you can pair club players on the international pitch you have a betetr chance even if as indivduals they are not as good as the guy left out.

Gotta make sence hasnt it, they train each week.

over a year ago

"It wont make any difference lol, Messi and Aguero are going to totally dominate the tournament "

Argentina are bigger let downs than England so don't see them doing well

My squad

Hart forster foster

Baines shaw cahill Dawson Johnson Richards jagielka walker

Gerrard lampard wilshere chamberlain townsemd sterling lallana milner

Rooney sturridge rodriguez Lambert

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Argentina are bigger let downs than England so don't see them doing well

My squad

Hart forster foster

Baines shaw cahill Dawson Johnson Richards jagielka walker

Gerrard lampard wilshere chamberlain townsemd sterling lallana milner

Rooney sturridge rodriguez Lambert "

Load of names there not mentioned above.

Im glad Im not Roy.

Its not a bad headache to have really.

Easy for me to say 'Underachievers' but I get excited for my Nephews everytime a major tournament comes along.

over a year ago

"After seeing Rooney play the other night and his previous world cup efforts i would leave him out , over rated over paid and a shadow of his former skill.

The sad thing is he is our best hope as a striker to score !!!"

Sturridge is our best hope his form is scintalating and he has quality to take that form to world cup

With his form and the form of the southampton players the pressure is on rooney for the first time to be the top player at a tournament for us and this can only have a good affect on him as he will have to up his game now

over a year ago

I think Germany will be in the final, my favorites to win it.

Their team has a whole host of talent. Lahm, Hummels, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Schwienstager (spelling isn't right) Neuer, Badstuber, Ozil. Gomez and Klose can punish defences.

Like them or not they are a strong team.

England last played well in a tournament in Euro 2004, since then matches have been mostly cagey or disappointing.

over a year ago

Need a big guy up front in my opinion always score look at crouch and sheringham

over a year ago

"I think Germany will be in the final, my favorites to win it.

Their team has a whole host of talent. Lahm, Hummels, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Schwienstager (spelling isn't right) Neuer, Badstuber, Ozil. Gomez and Klose can punish defences.

Like them or not they are a strong team.

England last played well in a tournament in Euro 2004, since then matches have been mostly cagey or disappointing."

The Germans have an awesome team, and with many of them being at Bayern they will have the added benefit of a year of coaching from Guardiola. They will be very tough to beat.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am going to be a bit more radicle..

This would be my 23....

Keepers: hart, forster, ruddy

Defenders: Johnson, walker, baines, shaw, Cahill, smalling, jones, jagilka

Midfielders: gerrard, wilshire, lallana, OC, berkley, Stirling, Lennon, Barry, young

Strikers: Rooney, sturidge, lambert

over a year ago

"I am going to be a bit more radicle..

This would be my 23....

Midfielders: gerrard, wilshire, lallana, OC, berkley, Stirling, Lennon, Barry, young

Strikers: Rooney, sturidge, lambert"

On current form I struggle with Jones and Smalling, they have been very poor for United. Would have Flannagan from Liverpool ahead of both at the moment.

over a year ago

This would be my 23....

On current form I struggle with Jones and Smalling, they have been very poor for United. Would have Flannagan from Liverpool ahead of both at the moment.

over a year ago

Why send the England rugby union team, they would probably show more spirit and commitment

over a year ago

This would be my 23....

Smalling should not be in the England team . He is nowhere near worldclass

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

i love this optimism you all show but, england are a second rate team at best! and are way out of there comfort zone in these competitions.

The only thing they are good at is disappointing the nation. over paid idiots.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

The players can't be blamed for taking whats offerd/given out of the game.

Those with sky, kind of put it in there.

I think the The Papers have a lot to answer for, they hype the country up in the run up then shoot the players and even more so, the manger down in flames.

Bringing songs out like 'Footballs coming home' didn't help much either.

I also think bad luck and errors in crucial moments of crucial games has added to it.

Beckham and Rooney sendings off. Phil Neville Penalty given. Lobbing Seamen from the half way line, the penalty misses. I used to think they were cursed for crimes before my time. Maybe that goal in '66!

over a year ago

terry wont go, full stop.

my squad, on form right now and hopes looking to the future

hart, foster, buttland

walker, johnson, cahill, jagielka, jones, lescott/davis, cole, shaw

gerrard, lellana, oxlaide chamberlain, henderson, sterling, carrick, barkley, ward-prowse

sturridge, rooney, welbeck, lambert/carroll

3rd choice keeper is NEVER used, so may as well get a young keeper used to the team/squad/surroundings.

in defence, even though terry is probably head and shoulders the best defender in the league, cahill and jags havent really done badly. if fit, phil jones is a shoe in, as he can play in that hoolding role, or centre back, so its like having 2 players, and its close between davis and lescott as davis is playing well, but lescott has never really let england down, and again, chances are, he wont be used anyway. i would take cole over baines, as i blame baines for germanies 2nd goal, he was very flat footed and wasnt very good at all, and shaw, for the same reason as buttland, although i could see him doing a job, definitely.

RB's pick themselves as we just dont have better options, unless one of the lads at southampton come good the second half of the season

midfield picks itself, althoguh i would leave donkey milner at home, hodgeson wont. i think gerrard and henderson will be the first choice pairing in the middle, in a 5-2-3-1 system, as they are doing the job at club level, and it makes sense, os probably wont be as sense and england manager hasnt been prevalent since 96. again, keep the liverpool connection going by putting sterling right and lallana on the left, with rooney in the number 10, although i would like to see these 3 play fluidly and move around each other, not stick to the left/right/centre, but this movement will need t obe developed, otherwise you will end up with 3 plyers on the left.

sturridge 1st choice up front, definitely.

lambert or carroll will give us an option when we decide to lump it, as we usually do, but i think lambert would get the ultimate nod as carroll cant be trusted to play 3 games........in a row.....ever lol

think defoe may just sneak in, especially if he scores loads of goals before then, plays week in week out, got to be better than sitting on the bench every week, but show knows.

the one player we will really miss is walcott. such a shame we will be without him for the tournament.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

There often is one suprise selection. Defoe? Could be. He knows where the net is regardless of who's pitch he's on.

I'd go Lambert ahead of Carroll, another name I had forgotten.

The Fa should put it out there and the manger should take who is voted for in a poll and make do with that can you imagine

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Bringing songs out like 'Footballs coming home' didn't help much either.

"

Good call, much preferred this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77x1uNx_eVA

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

You’ve got to hold and give

But do it at the right time

You can be slow or fast

But you must get to the line

They’ll always hit you and hurt you

Defend and attack

Theres only one way to beat them

Get round the back

Mr John Barnes

over a year ago

"Agree with the op but I'd have Shaw in for Baines & Wilshire is only out for six weeks so, unlike some, he'll be fresher than most midfielders by June, so no huddlestone for me.

Why for Baines and not Ashley Cole?"

Simply because Cole is a better fullback. I know Baines is a far better wing back but having watched England play tournament football since 2002, when it comes to the crunch games, they do tend to do a hell of a lot of desperate defending (to say the least!).

I thought Shaw looked bloody good the other night, though, - like a duck to water - in both defense & attack, very impressive!!

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

This would be my 23....

Positives Fabio are no Milner...except you have put Barry in...Jesus I was Expecting to see cleverly as well. I think that team is a bit midfield heavy another striker would be needed for sure

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Agree with the op but I'd have Shaw in for Baines & Wilshire is only out for six weeks so, unlike some, he'll be fresher than most midfielders by June, so no huddlestone for me.

Why for Baines and not Ashley Cole?

Simply because Cole is a better fullback. I know Baines is a far better wing back but having watched England play tournament football since 2002, when it comes to the crunch games, they do tend to do a hell of a lot of desperate defending (to say the least!).

I thought Shaw looked bloody good the other night, though, - like a duck to water - in both defense & attack, very impressive!! "

Odd it may sound but I havent watched too much of them, up until this season always concentrated on the League Show instead of MOTD. Be doing the same from next season on by the looks.

What I do know is Baines plays when fit, I imagine Shaw does now, but couldnt comment on Ashley Cole as I don't know.

I think Cole was one of the best a few years back but that dosent mean he has lost it.

I'll take ya word for it

Hard choice to make for Roy in that department.

over a year ago

i prefer Cole as a defender.

if you take Bines instead i think what you gain in deadball, you lose in defending, as i dont think he is as good getting back into position, not as quick either, and lets face it, you pick defenders to, first and foremost, defend.

they get forward when they can.

i feel sorry for Baines, actually, because he has had cole to try and get past, and now he has shaw biting at his heels.

can only see him getting this tourney then being second choice again come the next set of qualies

over a year ago

"i prefer Cole as a defender.

if you take Bines instead i think what you gain in deadball, you lose in defending, as i dont think he is as good getting back into position, not as quick either, and lets face it, you pick defenders to, first and foremost, defend.

they get forward when they can.

i feel sorry for Baines, actually, because he has had cole to try and get past, and now he has shaw biting at his heels.

can only see him getting this tourney then being second choice again come the next set of qualies"

yeah, poor old Baines! But a lot can happen in the next 3 months - players can come in to form, lose form, get injured etc...... Chelsea could have a load more games to play in the CL & Cole may win his place back?????????

I just hope that if they do come the bottom of their group, - which is quite feasible, - the fans don't turn on them in a media fuelled frenzy as per usual; there'll be a load of youngsters out there!!

By *lassyandadventurousMan
over a year ago

England and Wales

I went to wembley on wednesday and have to admit that we are a very very average side..

Kills me to say it but were just not good enough...apart from gerrard we were poor..

over a year ago

"I went to wembley on wednesday and have to admit that we are a very very average side..

Kills me to say it but were just not good enough...apart from gerrard we were poor.."

But; there was a load of kids out there & wtf is Roy supposed to do? The same media dicks (& certain clubs) who are slagging him off for trying out the youngsters, (whom in no way saw it as a friendly) , are the same media who'll bate for his blood if/when they fail!!

Everyone should get behind them - & make their new choice of press afterwards!! ...............

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

This would be my 23....

Positives Fabio are no Milner...except you have put Barry in...Jesus I was Expecting to see cleverly as well. I think that team is a bit midfield heavy another striker would be needed for sure"

but I would play 4-3-3.. with gerrard in that deep lying role... if gerrard isn't there i would play gareth barry there....

because I am only play with 1 central striker.. i only take 3... and take the extra midfielder...

that way he can play 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or at a push 4-4-2...

method in the madness....

over a year ago

Spain

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

"Spain "
brasil

over a year ago

"Give them a one way ticket they are crap

But come the first game in June we will all be watching, anticipation high, excitement pouring from every pore and hoping, just hoping, that they can make us proud!"

Seriously I won't be watching any of it they don't have the commitment, self motivation or pride to play for their country they are over paid and on all expenses holiday and they aren't good enough there you go rant over

over a year ago

This would be my 23....

Positives Fabio are no Milner...except you have put Barry in...Jesus I was Expecting to see cleverly as well. I think that team is a bit midfield heavy another striker would be needed for sure

but I would play 4-3-3.. with gerrard in that deep lying role... if gerrard isn't there i would play gareth barry there....

because I am only play with 1 central striker.. i only take 3... and take the extra midfielder...

"

problem is, even though barry has had a good season, at international level, he is a cart horse.

way too slow.

thats why i put JOnes, as i think he plays that sitting midfielder role extremely well (personally, i think thats his best position not centre back, he is too good on the ball to play in defence).

i love the kids.

lallana screams for the ball and looks so so comfortable with it at his feet, not always looking to get rid of it when the going gets tough.

same with sterling.

i still say, right off this and the next tourney as blooding ones, and gear up for a good run in 2018, as we wont win this year, brazil have it nailed on

over a year ago

This would be my 23....

problem is, even though barry has had a good season, at international level, he is a cart horse.

way too slow.

thats why i put JOnes, as i think he plays that sitting midfielder role extremely well (personally, i think thats his best position not centre back, he is too good on the ball to play in defence).

i love the kids.

lallana screams for the ball and looks so so comfortable with it at his feet, not always looking to get rid of it when the going gets tough.

same with sterling.

i still say, right off this and the next tourney as blooding ones, and gear up for a good run in 2018, as we wont win this year, brazil have it nailed on"

Agree with 2018 run if the kids are brought through properly and on a plus Januzai will be eligible and can take that left wing position we always struggle to fill

over a year ago

dont think he will wait, tbh.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Ironic aint it?

the one thing England has missed has been just about the only thing Wales has had.

A left winger

What we talking 20 years almost?

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Ironic aint it?

the one thing England has missed has been just about the only thing Wales has had.

A left winger

What we talking 20 years almost?"

that is the problem position.... which is why I way I was almost tempted to take baines, cole and shaw.. and let shaw play left midfield instead of left back.... adam johnson isn't the answer...

over a year ago

"Ironic aint it?

A left winger

What we talking 20 years almost?

that is the problem position.... which is why I way I was almost tempted to take baines, cole and shaw.. and let shaw play left midfield instead of left back.... adam johnson isn't the answer... "

and neither is bleedin downing lol.

i actually kind of agree with you there.

listening to the radio the other evening, cant remember who was on, but he was at southampton when bale was coming through, and says that, at the same age, shaw is better than bale.

he never went into whether he means a better player, defender or winger, but just said better, so who knows

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Hart Forster Foster

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Dawson Cole Shaw Baines Jones

Gerrard Sterling Wiltshere Henderson Lallana Barry Milner Chamberlain

Sturridge Lambert Rooney Defoe

over a year ago

Being a saints fan, I'd play Shaw over Cole, and Lambert

over a year ago

Should get rid of all the old guard. Sod experience, what are they experienced at? Gutsy 1-0 wins over mediocre teams or bottling it altogether. That's the kind of experience we don't need. Might keep Gerrard but that's about it.

We're not going to win so might as well field a team of kids and see how they get on.

Even better, field a whole team of league players if there's any that qualify as they're English, least they'll be coherent. Peterborough, they'l do.

Mrs D

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i dont get the michael dawson love....

i'll entertain an arguement for the likes of lescott, Micah Richard and steven caulker...

but milk turns quicker than dawson and he has the turning circle of an ocean tanker!!!!

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I've not really thought about the whole 23, but I'd want to see:

Joe Hart, Glen Johnson, Kyle Walker, Chris Smalling, Ashley Cole, Adam Lallana, Steven Gerrard, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend, Danny Wellbeck and Rooney.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I've not really thought about the whole 23, but I'd want to see:

Joe Hart, Glen Johnson, Kyle Walker, Chris Smalling, Ashley Cole, Adam Lallana, Steven Gerrard, Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Andros Townsend, Danny Wellbeck and Rooney.

"

Only in the shower though eh polo

over a year ago

"I've not really thought about the whole 23, but I'd want to see:

Only in the shower though eh polo "

I dunno... one of those big baths would do nicely.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

You had best ask ruggers about that

over a year ago

"You had best ask ruggers about that "

Why?

over a year ago

I wouldn't take Phil Jones Chris Smalling or Rickie Lambert.

over a year ago

Gk- Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Def- Johnson, Smalling, Jones, Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Shaw, Walker

Mid- Chamberlain, Stirling, Llalana, Barkley, Gerard, Carrick, Townsend, Wilshere

Fwd- Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert.

over a year ago

Lol whats the point England will never win!

over a year ago

"Lol whats the point England will never win!"

What I said, except I wrapped the comment up in a lengthy rant, lol.

over a year ago

"i dont get the michael dawson love....

"

same as i struggle to get the ruddy thing

over a year ago

Hart, foster, forster.

Johnson, cahill, jagielka, smalling, jones, cole, baines.

Carrick, wilshere, gerrard, henderson, lallana, barkley,

Oxlade-chamberlain, sterling, townsend.

Rooney, sturridge,welbeck, carroll

over a year ago

"i dont get the michael dawson love....

same as i struggle to get the ruddy thing"

michael dawson is shit

over a year ago

"So no more friendlies before Roy picks his 23. But who would you go for? It's a bit like your preferences on here, do your prefer youth over experience?? Do you like your men big and manly, or lithe and boyish.

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Lailana, Lampard, Townsend, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Huddlestone, Barkley

Wilshere misses out as I think his injury will make it hard for him to make it, and other than Rooney I can't make a case for any United players who look hopelessly short of confidence and form. Carroll gets in as he offers something different it needed from the bench. And Cole just gets the nod over Shaw but only just!

So go on, shoot me down, tell me I'm mad and let me know who you think should go."

who the heck is davies?

over a year ago

"So no more friendlies before Roy picks his 23. But who would you go for? It's a bit like your preferences on here, do your prefer youth over experience?? Do you like your men big and manly, or lithe and boyish.

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

So go on, shoot me down, tell me I'm mad and let me know who you think should go. who the heck is davies?"

probably curtis, plays for hull, ex west brom and villa

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

changed my 23 slightly...

in defence no smalling or jones anymore... I would play John Stones from everton instead and Caulker at Cardiff

in midfield Ward-Prose instead of Young....

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Jeff Astle on vocals.

over a year ago

Loosehead Prop - Trevor Woodman

Hooker - Steve Thompson

Tighthead Prop - Phil Vickery

Left Lock - Martin Johnson (Captain)

Right Lock - Ben Kay

Blindside Flanker - Richard Hill

Openside Flanker - Neil Back

Number 8 - Lawrence Dallaglio

Scrum Half - Matt Dawson

Fly Half - Jonny Wilkinson

Left Wing - Ben Cohen

Inside Centre - Will Greenwood

Outside Centre - Mike Tindall

Right Wing - Jason Robinson

Full Back - Josh Lewsey

Replacements

Hooker - Dorian West

Prop - Jason Leonard

Lock - Martin Corry

Flanker - Lewis Moody

Scrum Half - Kyran Bracken

Fly Half - Mike Catt

Full Back - Iain Balshaw

Coach - Sir Clive Woodward.

Or team 2

Goalkeeper - Gordon Banks

Right Back - George Cohen

Centre Back - Jack Charlton

Centre Back - Bobby Moore (Captain)

Left Back - Ray Wilson

Right Midfield - Alan Ball

Centre Midfield - Nobby Stiles

Centre Midfield - Bobby Charlton

Left Midfield - Martin Peters

Centre Forward - Geoff Hurst

Centre Forward - Roger Hunt

Manager - Alf Ramsey

over a year ago

Goalkeepers

Hart

Foster

Ruddy

Defenders

Baines

Cahill

Johnson

Dawson

Smalling

Jones

Bertrand

Midfielders

Gerrard

Henderson

Sterling

Lennon

Lallana

Milner

Delph

Wilshere

Forwards

Sturridge

Rooney

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Crouch

Agbonlahor

By *rbigmisshornyCouple
over a year ago

Livingston

my scotland world cup squad.... Anyone know where i can borrow a time machine.. need to pop forward a few years for a wee look at the 2054 league set up

over a year ago

"my scotland world cup squad.... Anyone know where i can borrow a time machine.. need to pop forward a few years for a wee look at the 2054 league set up

"

or back to argentina 78 you had a great team.then, what happened apart from archie gemmills goal against holland scotland were awful, however at least you qualified

over a year ago

Hart, Forster, Ruddy

So go on, shoot me down, tell me I'm mad and let me know who you think should go."

I think we'll be bloody lucky to make it out of the group stage, being up against the likes of Italy, Uraguay and even Costa Rica won't be a push over.

over a year ago

"changed my 23 slightly...

in defence no smalling or jones anymore... I would play John Stones from everton instead and Caulker at Cardiff

in midfield Ward-Prose instead of Young...."

Stones has made a massive impact, but will I suspect go to the U21 tournament, as will Flannagan although both have made very strong cases in recent weeks to make Rio.

I think the attacking left flank is where I am struggling to find a definite starter. Any chance we can annex Wales prior to June and play that chap Bale??

By *hong loverMan
over a year ago

stoke-on-trent

I would pick 23 English players that play in the championship

They will play with pride with the 3 lions on their shirt unlike the overpaid stars we play now

over a year ago

"Gk- Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Def- Johnson, Smalling, Jones, Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Shaw, Walker

Mid- Chamberlain, Stirling, Llalana, Barkley, Gerard, Carrick, Townsend, Wilshere

Fwd- Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert. "

This

IMHO...the centre half pairing (any combo) is not good enough, even by EPL standards...but it is what it is :/

The English national team has to play in a way that depicts the trends of playing styles in our league, as all the squad plays in our league. (This is what they have done for years in Germany & Italy...doesn't do them any harm at all!), therefore the players can easily adapt their league form to the national team...just makes sense...

My 1st team (4-3-3)...Hart, Walker, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Gerrard, Wilshire, Barkley, Sterling, Sturridge, Rooney.

By *aguarsCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Gk: Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Defence: Cahill, Jagielka, Lescott, Jones, Cole, Baines, Johnson, Richards

Midfield: Gerrard, Lalana, Wiltshire, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Milner, Barkley

Forward: Sturridge, Welbeck, Stirling, Lambert, Carroll

Was going to pick Rooney but he has been a constant failure and his recent united form been a disgrace, off the bench with Carroll

Post new Message to Thread