Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Installing Stairs for a loft conversion

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

any help or advice on this as I have little budget and will be doing the work myself greatly appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I hear Stenna Stairlifts are very good

over a year ago

erm, need stairs for stenna to install a stairlift

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

"erm, need stairs for stenna to install a stairlift "

Full of joy and happiness I see

over a year ago

i was until your comment was posted

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

"i was until your comment was posted"

My profound apologies

over a year ago

i'm just looking for some advice on this DIY task

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Best advice, if you're not sure what your doing, don't do it. Installing stairs isn't a DIY job by any stretch of the imagination, unless your meaning a foldaway ladder in which case they are less complex ...

You may beed to fit an aditional nogging between the joists in order to carry the top end of the ladder - the ladder head is then fixed to the timber and presto ! you're done.

If it's a fixed staircase you're after - a totally different ballgame

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

Noooo it just runs up the wall...no need for stairs at all!!

Jez is saving you a fortune

(grumpy pants )

over a year ago

with my extensive DIY knowledge i suggest.......

get a man who can!!! or buy a step ladder...that'll be cheap!

c x

over a year ago

"with my extensive DIY knowledge i suggest.......

get a man who can!!! or buy a step ladder...that'll be cheap!

c x "

Yeah I could do that but with little money and converting the loft to a bedroom, I have to go with stairs and doing it myself.

over a year ago

Funny innt ?

Someone leaves a jokey response and the OP bites back, but I've just left some sensible advice and what ?

Not even a thanks ....

Sometimes wonder why I bother

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"Funny innt ?

Someone leaves a jokey response and the OP bites back, but I've just left some sensible advice and what ?

Not even a thanks ....

Sometimes wonder why I bother"

Its cos you are special

over a year ago

"Funny innt ?

Not even a thanks ....

Sometimes wonder why I bother

Its cos you are special"

Loll, or the face doesn't fit

over a year ago

"Funny innt ?

Not even a thanks ....

Sometimes wonder why I bother"

sorry for not replying back to your helpful post, I've googled what you said and took some notes, advice greatly appreciated, cake on the way

By *orse8Man
over a year ago

London

If you end up going for a spiral staircase, put the furniture in the loft FIRST.

over a year ago

does this mean my post wasnt helpful!!!!

wheres my cake?

over a year ago

"If you end up going for a spiral staircase, put the furniture in the loft FIRST."

oh deffo not spiral, just a straight flight

over a year ago

"does this mean my post wasnt helpful!!!!

wheres my cake? "

have half of apple pie left if you wanna slice of that

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

You can get someone to make your a staircase...or was you planning to make it from scratch?

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"You can get someone to make your a staircase...or was you planning to make it from scratch?"

scratch isnt very stable...wood might be better

over a year ago

"You can get someone to make your a staircase...or was you planning to make it from scratch?"

you can buy them made to measure which is what i'm planning to do, its just fixing it to the big gaping hole I'll be creating, dont want to be walking up them and they disappear from under my feet

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ah that isn't such a daunting task then.......but I have no advice for you as I don't know how to !

Google I bet will come up with some answers though.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

lol @ fuss

over a year ago

It's a long process if you want a "proper" flight of stairs, so putting a lot of time aside is the best advice I can give, lol.

Basically make absolutely sure where you want your stairs to be situated giving acount to availabilty of light, depending on the house's electrics route, access from both floors and head clearance. It's also a hell of a lot easier if you situate them butting onto an existing wall on the floor below.

Following this you will need to: -

1)Check the existing building plans to ensure any load bearing walls joists remain unnaffected or you can provide alternative support.

2) Strip the area that will become the loft landing back to the bare wood.

3)Construct a load bearing stud-party wall from floor to ceiling on the lower floor supporting attic joists to be sawn, as well as the ceiling.

4) Check and re-route any electrics or plumbing in the loft that will block the opening.

5)Measure, mark and cut the opening into the loft, sawing through the ceiling as well as the NOW SUPPORTED joists.

6)Install the diagonal strings on tboth the original and party wall that are to carry the weight of all risers and treads.

7)7.Make the steps (treads and risers), measure and mark entire string, glue and tension screwed wedges (noggins) where treads/goings (horizontal) and risers (vertical) sit, joined at the overlap by a rebated groove. Minimum depth of tread/going is 220mm; Maximum rise not more than 220mm. In a nutshell mate, the tread must at least be equal in length to the riser on each step.

8)Fit any handrails or balusters to each wall as appropriate.

9)At the top of the stairs its best to have a half party wall or at the very least a handrail.Working from a newel post (bolted into place), build depending on your own choice.

10)Plaster and skim both walls, making sure the plaster has sufficient "drying out" time.

11) Decorate however you like!

Of course this guideline is only rough and I haven't included details on kite winders or quarter turn landings, but in my opinion this involves far too much pissing about for my liking and you end up with less space anyway! Hope this helps fella!

P

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

" It's a long process if you want a "proper" flight of stairs, so putting a lot of time aside is the best advice I can give, lol.

Basically make absolutely sure where you want your stairs to be situated giving acount to availabilty of light, depending on the house's electrics route, access from both floors and head clearance. It's also a hell of a lot easier if you situate them butting onto an existing wall on the floor below.

Of course this guideline is only rough and I haven't included details on kite winders or quarter turn landings, but in my opinion this involves far too much pissing about for my liking and you end up with less space anyway! Hope this helps fella!

P"

Im needing a lot of building work done on my house. Do you want to marry me??

over a year ago

" It's a long process if you want a "proper" flight of stairs, so putting a lot of time aside is the best advice I can give, lol.

Im needing a lot of building work done on my house. Do you want to marry me?? "

Yeah, why not lass? I'm sure we'll both be blissfully happy for eternity..

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

"

Im needing a lot of building work done on my house. Do you want to marry me??

Yeah, why not lass? I'm sure we'll both be blissfully happy for eternity.."

Awwww its a long time since Ive been called a lass . I think Im in lurrrrrrve

*wanders off to buy Bride Monthly

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

oops I digress. Back to the stairs.

Dont want to be told off twice in one day...

over a year ago

"oops I digress. Back to the stairs.

Dont want to be told off twice in one day..."

you wont get told off by me again, I have all the info I need now

over a year ago

I did our staircase into the attic and also the half landing on the main staircase.

It was just a case of determination and not having the sort of money to pay someone else,lol.

Unfortunately though,without seeing what your up against its hard to give any advice.

over a year ago

"I did our staircase into the attic and also the half landing on the main staircase.

It was just a case of determination and not having the sort of money to pay someone else,lol.

Unfortunately though,without seeing what your up against its hard to give any advice. "

I'm hoping for a straightforward job (well who wouldnt), just need to strip things down and assess whats the best way and how to do it, will keep you all posted on how it goes

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"I did our staircase into the attic and also the half landing on the main staircase.

Unfortunately though,without seeing what your up against its hard to give any advice. "

I think you're wonderful Trace!

over a year ago

Unfortunately though,without seeing what your up against its hard to give any advice.

I think you're wonderful Trace! "

That was from Ric

But thank you anyway T

XXX

over a year ago

Have you got planning permission...drawings...ect. Thats where you've gotta start. If your making it into a bedroom...then the stairs mustn't be in a room and all the doors must be fire doors...if you've not got allot of money...you'd better start saving before you think about starting. Expensive and big job mate

over a year ago

"Have you got planning permission...drawings...ect. Thats where you've gotta start. If your making it into a bedroom...then the stairs mustn't be in a room and all the doors must be fire doors...if you've not got allot of money...you'd better start saving before you think about starting. Expensive and big job mate"

the law has been relaxed on loft conversions, you don't need planning permission but yes, we will be putting fire doors in.

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

"Have you got planning permission...drawings...ect. Thats where you've gotta start. If your making it into a bedroom...then the stairs mustn't be in a room and all the doors must be fire doors...if you've not got allot of money...you'd better start saving before you think about starting. Expensive and big job mate

the law has been relaxed on loft conversions, you don't need planning permission but yes, we will be putting fire doors in."

Don't forget that it probably has to conform to building regs though and not sure whether stairs have to be a certain width.

over a year ago

This is a project that is well within the scope of a competant DIYer. If you are having them made to measure, get the chippy to come and see where they are going to be installed if you can, or at least take some pics.

Be aware of any electric cables or plumbing that may need to be rerouted.

Assuming you have basic builders skills, you will be aware that you need to plan how you will fix the supporting woodwork, bracketry etc. This is the main thing you have to sort.

If you have a friend who is a builder, ask him to drop by to give you a few tips first hand, after he has seen where you are installing them.

I would have no qualms at all about attempting this project. Good luck Mally.

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Stairlift companies (dunno about Stannah in particular) are very strict on making sure you have had things built absolutely to Building Regs, (including having a Part P registered electrician certificate that part of the work), they simply cannot allow the possibility of having granny lying in a pile of rubble 2 months down the line when the load-bearing wall gives way. They will want paperwork, liability insurance etc on anything they attach their machinery to, which is understandable, I suppose.

(And which is why anything to do with fitting stairlifts is costly, they have you by the balls, and short-cuts to save a few quid are difficult to find. Good luck!)

over a year ago

"Stairlift companies (dunno about Stannah in particular) are very strict on making sure you have had things built absolutely to Building Regs, (including having a Part P registered electrician certificate that part of the work), they simply cannot allow the possibility of having granny lying in a pile of rubble 2 months down the line when the load-bearing wall gives way. They will want paperwork, liability insurance etc on anything they attach their machinery to, which is understandable, I suppose.

(And which is why anything to do with fitting stairlifts is costly, they have you by the balls, and short-cuts to save a few quid are difficult to find. Good luck!)"

Dont think the OP wants a stairlift

over a year ago

"Dont think the OP wants a stairlift"

not just yet

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Ah, I thought you were building some stairs for them to come in afterwards and put a lift in. Doh!

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"Have you got planning permission...drawings...ect. Thats where you've gotta start. If your making it into a bedroom...then the stairs mustn't be in a room and all the doors must be fire doors...if you've not got allot of money...you'd better start saving before you think about starting. Expensive and big job mate

the law has been relaxed on loft conversions, you don't need planning permission but yes, we will be putting fire doors in."

Planning Permission is completely different to a Building Warrant and they haven't relaxed the regulations that much for a loft conversion to be exempt from requiring a Building Warrant just yet

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

Get a man in, I would

over a year ago

Thought an arse kickin fit Jiu Jitsu bloke like you would not need stairs...Just a hole in the cieling to fly up through and a ninja rope to scuttle back down...

over a year ago

"Thought an arse kickin fit Jiu Jitsu bloke like you would not need stairs...Just a hole in the cieling to fly up through and a ninja rope to scuttle back down... "

yeah I could but the wife on the other cant, it will be our bedroom, as she is pregnant so we are converting the loft and letting the newborn have our room.

oh by the way, mrs mally is having a baby, should have mentioned that bit earlier I guess haha

over a year ago

"Thought an arse kickin fit Jiu Jitsu bloke like you would not need stairs...Just a hole in the cieling to fly up through and a ninja rope to scuttle back down...

yeah I could but the wife on the other cant, it will be our bedroom, as she is pregnant so we are converting the loft and letting the newborn have our room.

oh by the way, mrs mally is having a baby, should have mentioned that bit earlier I guess haha"

Congrats!!! Best get those stairs in quick then...LOL

over a year ago

You will need to get signed off by a building inspector if your looking to sell in the future but go for it. You will get advice on staircases from your local timber merchants . do ensure you alter your loft joists though and put extra noggins in as this will reduce board squeaking and keep the whole thing stable.

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Do not go with a spiral staircase which is what we did. It seemed the perfect answer to a small space. Unfortunately once in there is nothing going to go up them with any ease, including people!!

Ours is now ripped out and returned to the loft space it once was, only used for storage nowadays.

over a year ago

"You will need to get signed off by a building inspector if your looking to sell in the future but go for it. You will get advice on staircases from your local timber merchants . do ensure you alter your loft joists though and put extra noggins in as this will reduce board squeaking and keep the whole thing stable."

yeah, doing all the noggin etc this weekend before I start taking anything out, i'll be putting in a floating floor (not literally of course), so the squeeking should be minimal

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"You will need to get signed off by a building inspector if your looking to sell in the future but go for it. You will get advice on staircases from your local timber merchants . do ensure you alter your loft joists though and put extra noggins in as this will reduce board squeaking and keep the whole thing stable."

You need to get it signed off by a Building Inspector whether or not you are going to be selling it in the future!

Right that's me off back to work to finalise some plans to get into Building Control for a Warrant application

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Mally PM me to what part of Liverpool your in as i am working in Liverpool at the moment and may be able to offer some advice if your close enough.

Steve

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

1 – apply for building regs

2 – stick to them

3 - or don't do any of the above and rip up your house insurance

By *andsomgeorgeMan
over a year ago

Rugby

As well as fire doors you will need to fit Percos as the property will then have three floors. They are only little but they can be sods to fit! They ensure that the door automatically shuts behind you thus providing a barrier in conjunction with fire doors. Of course no-one ever props these open thus rendering fitment pointless...

I know these were needed on rental flats I recently renovated so may be different to private dwelling regs. but believe it applies.

Some fantastic advice above though which should get you a long way to job done.

I think Polo's advice is singularly the most important here though - checking it out thoroughly should be your first base - do not pass go until you know you're all clear.

Good luck to you and Mrs - maybe include some soundproofing when doing out the loft space;-)

over a year ago

"Mally PM me to what part of Liverpool your in as i am working in Liverpool at the moment and may be able to offer some advice if your close enough.

Steve"

can't, you've blocked me

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

We had a loft conversion last September and the people on here who said you need to meet all sorts of regulations and have the work inspected are correct.

You will need to have plans drawn up regardless of whether you need planning permission or not, because you need to meet building control regulations if the room is to be used for accommodation you will need to show these drawings on demand should a building inspector ask to to see them.

You could very easily render your household insurance null and void if you fail to do the job properly.

We found the biggest expense was having RSJ's fitted above our existing loft floor and cut into the walls of the house.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Mally PM me to what part of Liverpool your in as i am working in Liverpool at the moment and may be able to offer some advice if your close enough.

Steve

can't, you've blocked me "

Sorry we have a single blokes blocked but you should be able to mail us now

Sorry again

Steve

over a year ago

Steve

can't, you've blocked me

Sorry we have a single blokes blocked but you should be able to mail us now

Sorry again

Steve "

nope, pm me and I'll reply back

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"We had a loft conversion last September and the people on here who said you need to meet all sorts of regulations and have the work inspected are correct.

You will need to have plans drawn up regardless of whether you need planning permission or not, because you need to meet building control regulations if the room is to be used for accommodation you will need to show these drawings on demand should a building inspector ask to to see them.

You could very easily render your household insurance null and void if you fail to do the job properly.

We found the biggest expense was having RSJ's fitted above our existing loft floor and cut into the walls of the house."

You don't need to just show a Building Inspector plans if one asks to see them, you need to apply for Building Regulation Approval, pay the appropriate fee and wait for the plans to be approved before starting work.

Check out the direct.gov.uk website for Building Regulations and all is explained there.

As some people have already said, as soon as you carry out the work without approval then you are wasting your money paying for your building & contents insurance.

Post new Message to Thread