Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

main concerns for election?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

what are your priorities and will influence your voting??

mine are.....

assistance for low income families

employment

public services xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"what are your priorities and will influence your voting??

mine are.....

employment

public services xx"

Mines are

why don't people reply to messages!

why doesn't other peoples profiles read like I want them to!

why doesn't everyone want to meet me!

and finally

why isn't there a "tongue in cheek smiley!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Trident (in favour of keeping)

Debt reduction

Accountability for MPs as well as bankers etc

Tax increases (against)

N.I. increase (against)

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

mine are.....

employment

public services xx

Mines are

and finally

"

The OP said election not erection

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

mine are.....

employment

public services xx

Mines are

and finally

The OP said election not erection "

Damn thats me being a single guy again and not reading things through properly

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

mine are.....

employment

public services xx"

Restructuring of the House of Lords.

Restructuring of sentencing.

Realistic formula for Welsh funding.

Core funding for the likes of Childline and other organisations with a proven track record for tackling abuse and providing services for disadnataged young people.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Fast tracking Asylum Seeker applications

Steady debt recovery

Scrapping Trident

Contimued assistance for low income families

Preservation of the minimum wage, linking it to inflation

over a year ago

Any that say we need to reduce the amount of money the government are spending and thus reducing the burden of taxes etc on all.

Best people to say how to spend your money are yourself.

Help is good, but not for all your life.

By *eclan_and_AimeeCouple
over a year ago

dunblane, stirling

My main election concerns are......

....is it big enough and can I maintain it?

over a year ago

Reduction of national debt. Improvement in trade and jobs. Reduction in free loaders and tax dodgers.

over a year ago

so you wont be votin tory then!! xx

over a year ago

The current government have been there 13 years, yes 13 years...

They should be saying look what we have done, see how good it all is with us as government, but no, they are shIt, all talk, all wind, not substance, time for a change, any change is good at the moment

Use your X wisely on the 6th May

over a year ago

and the previous government before them?? same ??

im seriously considerin votin yellow this time if its time for change then lets give it to someone who hastn fucked it all up before!! xx

over a year ago

"Any that say we need to reduce the amount of money the government are spending and thus reducing the burden of taxes etc on all.

Best people to say how to spend your money are yourself.

Help is good, but not for all your life."

Couldn't agree more!

over a year ago

"The current government have been there 13 years, yes 13 years...

They should be saying look what we have done, see how good it all is with us as government, but no, they are shIt, all talk, all wind, not substance, time for a change, any change is good at the moment

Use your X wisely on the 6th May"

A good point but we don't have a wisely party which is a shame.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Use your X wisely on the 6th May"

Lets look at the last 13 years then....

Minimum Wage

Minimum Income for Pensioners

Child Tax Credits

Working Family Tax Credits

42,000 more Teachers and 123,000 new Teaching Assistants

1400 new schools built

89,000 more Nurses and 44,000 more Doctors

Operation waiting list down from 18 months to 18 weeks on average

16,000 more Police Officers and 16,000 Community Police Officers

That's what they have done since 1997, fair enough to criticise many of their failings and lets face it Gordon Brown is an own goal for Labour, but to queation what improvements they have made for ordinary British people is silly

over a year ago

I get caught wanking in the polling booth again

over a year ago

just wish someone would get the cost of the dam petrol down so we can go on more meets further away and go dogging and not mind the fuel bill

over a year ago

"just wish someone would get the cost of the dam petrol down so we can go on more meets further away and go dogging and not mind the fuel bill "

excellent point!! the fuel here is just under 1.25 its bloody daylight robbery! xx

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

"I get caught wanking in the polling booth again "

its X marks the spot

not SEX

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

Minimum Wage

Child Tax Credits

1400 new schools built

That's what they have done since 1997, fair enough to criticise many of their failings and lets face it Gordon Brown is an own goal for Labour, but to queation what improvements they have made for ordinary British people is silly"

Well said Jane and the main reason it'll be RED for us on the 6th May

Oh btw, I see the member has not replied to your post wonder why?

over a year ago

birmingham

BBC news:

Following Clegg / Brown, Camera On agrees to a 30 min be interview on BBC by Paxman!

Now, this will be interesting

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Immigration

Health

education

and shoes

over a year ago

Minimum Wage

Child Tax Credits

1400 new schools built

That's what they have done since 1997, fair enough to criticise many of their failings and lets face it Gordon Brown is an own goal for Labour, but to queation what improvements they have made for ordinary British people is silly

"

What a great post Red all the way for us, ppl say 13yrs yes its that long but remember how many years wasted by putting right what was so wrong under 18 yes 18 years of consevertive rule

over a year ago

birmingham

"yes 18 years of consevertive rule"

And hopefully, we'll never, ever, ever witness another Conservative Government again

over a year ago

hear hear!!

im lucky im in scotland they cant do the damage done by maggie against us as we are a devolved government but still need to live under westminster rules and if they get in its not goin to be good its goin to be a step back xx

over a year ago

you standing for the labour party jane?

I do agree about asylum seekers send them back ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

fair voting system for sheep

reductions in the cost of fertiliser

invading china to set up democratic government and getting more of their food over here

exploiting the natural resources of the arctic and antarctic solely for UK use

opening up leisure centres to mice so they can get fit and fight back against the cats

I had written to the leaders of all the main parties....but I have not heard anything back, and none of them seem to have included any of my ideas in their election manifesto

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I'm standing for any party that can keep the Tories out to be honest.....

For me in a Labour free area that means voting Lib Dem, if that's what I have to do to keep the party for the few out then so be it.

The thing with asylum seekers is that the problem has been going on for 65 years, we had a massive influx of Jews in 1945-50, tens of thousands of asylum seekers from Communist states from 1947-1978, then we have Asylum seekers from the African states we sold arms to during the 70's and 80's....escaping the wars we helped fund.

The first Gulf War saw a massive rise in those seeking asylum because we left opposition groups out on a limb by not finishing the job against Sadam, even those these groups had risen up against him then got left to their own devices.

It is estimated that between 80,000 and 90,000 Iraqis sought asylum in the UK between the two Gulf Wars because we forced their hand.

So we in the UK and the rest of Europe have to take a lot of the blame for seeing the constant stream of asylum seekers.

Instead of putting them in camps and prisons or special housing on benefits we should be fitting them with tags and allowing them to work in the UK.

That way we at least get some return from them while their asylum application is being heard.

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

immigration (we only have so much housing and jobs)

jobs

tax breaks for married cpls (those that choose to be single need to wise up and face the facts its tough on your own like I did)

less beurocracy in EVERYTHING

bring back dicipine in schools and homes for parents (and insist these parents are NOT their kids best friends for gods sake, someone needs to be in charge)

over a year ago

Blair and brown brought us war in iraq and afgenistan for no good reason hundreds of british dead more injured

brown sold gold reserves

Quotes from Brown" British banks lead the world" "Globalization has been a massive success"

these quotes a matter of a few months before the crash ! the mans a baffoon!

Where are these assylum seekers and immigrants going to work there are 5 million unemployrd in the uk

More teachers yet no improvement in education

record youth unemployment

doubled the national debt and printed an extra 175 billion pounds to destroy the value of the pound

over a year ago

education for me , a big change in foreign affairs. plus whoever is going to change things round my way , we had the same folk for the best part of 30 odd years and nothing changed .

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Blair and brown brought us war in iraq and afgenistan for no good reason hundreds of british dead more injured

brown sold gold reserves

Quotes from Brown" British banks lead the world" "Globalization has been a massive success"

these quotes a matter of a few months before the crash ! the mans a baffoon!

Where are these assylum seekers and immigrants going to work there are 5 million unemployrd in the uk

More teachers yet no improvement in education

record youth unemployment

doubled the national debt and printed an extra 175 billion pounds to destroy the value of the pound

"

5 million unemployed?......even the Tories don't claim this.

With a record amount of GCSE's and A levels last year together with a record amount of University applications I am not sure about education not improving.

The Tories scrapped the apprentiship scheme for companies in England and Wales which has a big bearing on youth unemployment.

By *ausage and sizzleCouple
over a year ago

Barnstaple

A change to the way we do Government.

Jobs and training - for all ages.

Better education for kids - less exams - tougher, less time spent on teaching kids how to pass exams and more time spent on teaching them. Also encouraging and championing achievement instead of mediocrity.

Free means tested Uni and college education for school leavers.

Government funding for apprenticeships in business.

Tax incentives for private healthcare and health club memberships. Encourage private healthcare, their money and human resources into NHS hospitals.

Better immigration policies and control.

Less red tape for business, ...and for all of us for that matter.

Less stealth taxes and fairer tax for all.

Proportional reprisentation.

Outlaw the Party Whip - free votes for all.

More honesty and openess from politians, including how they intend to get us out of the sh*t.

Some frank policies, instead of fudge and ambiguity.

More reprisentation and it would be nice to see your MP occasionally, other than when thee's a photo opportunity or an election.

A lot less patronising kiss-ass from Cameron and Blair, who love everybody!

Vote for me!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I agree with most of that Dandl....Big business lobbied the Tories years ago to scrap the apprenticeship scheme as they felt it was being forced upon them.

As a consequence we now have a huge skill shortage in Britain and it need to be addressed.

The bit about Red Tape for business I am bit confused about, as a business owner myself I don't feel smothered by Red Tape.

The VAT threshold for small businesses needs to increase to at least £100k in order to help businesses grow without the worry, personally I would like to see a threshold of £125k.

The only alternative to 'Stealth Taxes' is an Income Tax that starts at 28-30% and I don't think the British people would accept that.

Finally PR in England and Wales would mean that a hung Parliament would be all but inevitable at every General Election in the forseeable future.....

over a year ago

Barnstaple

[Removed by poster at 19/04/10 13:52:34]

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"I agree with most of that Dandl....Big business lobbied the Tories years ago to scrap the apprenticeship scheme as they felt it was being forced upon them.

As a consequence we now have a huge skill shortage in Britain and it need to be addressed.

The bit about Red Tape for business I am bit confused about, as a business owner myself I don't feel smothered by Red Tape.

The VAT threshold for small businesses needs to increase to at least £100k in order to help businesses grow without the worry, personally I would like to see a threshold of £125k.

The only alternative to 'Stealth Taxes' is an Income Tax that starts at 28-30% and I don't think the British people would accept that.

Finally PR in England and Wales would mean that a hung Parliament would be all but inevitable at every General Election in the forseeable future.....

"

"On red tape" - ok fair enough, ...but isn't this something business is always banging-on about? And anything that helps business do business helps us all.

Also when I ran my own business, just getting people to pay on time was a full time job. How about making minimum payment 30 days FOR ALL. I always paid my suppiers on time, but it made my cashflow short when others didn't. And particulary important for small businesses and start-ups.

"The only alternative to 'Stealth Taxes' is an Income Tax that starts at 28-30%..." - Well we're paying it anyway one way or another, so what's the problem? Paying this way would make it harder for Government to hide it in petrol duty, road tax, or any other number of taxes. If it's 30% it's 30%, but at least this would make them think harder about their actions and their waste. And would probaly make the collection of taxes cheaper.

"Finally PR in England and Wales would mean that a hung Parliament would be all but inevitable at every General Election in the forseeable future....." - HOW SO? And isn't that likely this time round? ...Maybe our system of party politics is wrong, undemocratic and unreprisentative of the the LOCAL electorate? I know it's naive to think it could or will change, but hey!

over a year ago

There will be so many limitations with budgets and available spending that after health care, the forces and benefits there will be little spare for any of the party’s to do anything vastly different. I am more interested to see if Nick Clegg can turn this new popularity he has received into solid votes and crack the 2 party system. It could be very interesting and potentially beneficial for the country if he does.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I agree with most of that Dandl....Big business lobbied the Tories years ago to scrap the apprenticeship scheme as they felt it was being forced upon them.

"On red tape" - ok fair enough, ...but isn't this something business is always banging-on about? And anything that helps business do business helps us all.

Also when I ran my own business, just getting people to pay on time was a full time job. How about making minimum payment 30 days FOR ALL. I always paid my suppiers on time, but it made my cashflow short when others didn't. And particulary important for small businesses and start-ups.

"The only alternative to 'Stealth Taxes' is an Income Tax that starts at 28-30%..." - Well we're paying it anyway one way or another, so what's the problem? Paying this way would make it harder for Government to hide it in petrol duty, road tax, or any other number of taxes. If it's 30% it's 30%, but at least this would make them think harder about their actions and their waste. And would probaly make the collection of taxes cheaper.

"Finally PR in England and Wales would mean that a hung Parliament would be all but inevitable at every General Election in the forseeable future....." - HOW SO? And isn't that likely this time round? ...Maybe our system of party politics is wrong, undemocratic and unreprisentative of the the LOCAL electorate? I know it's naive to think it could or will change, but hey! "

Under both Major and Blair a statutory credit limit for goods/services was looked at but it proved impossible to legislate and impliment.

Regarding the 'All in One' Income Tax, once again impossible to impliment. It is one thing for high end earners to pay more on Income, another thing completely to expect the high earners to pay more for their petrol etc.

It would also mean an Income Tax rate/rates that would fluctuate wildly depending on national and global circumstances.

It is true that intergrating all taxes would make collection easier and cheaper though.

They tried the same thing in Russia a decade ago and it proved disasterous.

In any case VAT will never be able to be included in this so it's a non starter.

Incidentally both the Lib Dems and Labour are looking at Road Toll charges replacing Road Tax, which is interesting.

I read an article a few months ago in a business magazine that showed that in European countries that have PR they invariably end up with a hung parliament and subsequent very regular elections.

I do agree with fixed term Parliaments though, along the lines of Four years.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"There will be so many limitations with budgets and available spending that after health care, the forces and benefits there will be little spare for any of the party’s to do anything vastly different. I am more interested to see if Nick Clegg can turn this new popularity he has received into solid votes and crack the 2 party system. It could be very interesting and potentially beneficial for the country if he does. "

I agree, it seems highly probable that we will have a hung parliament after the election. Maybe the country needs parties working together to control the extremities in politics?

Even if the Tories win they may have to scrape in with a tiny, almost unworkable majority.

That could mean another election within a very short time.

over a year ago

Polotics, great, just in the mood for this one after todays escapades.

Here's my two-penneth worth for what influences my vote:

Margaret Thatcher

Michael Hessletine

Norman Tebbit

John Major

The last time they held the reins they made a right fuck up of things. Now we pay through the nose for Gas, Water and Electricity. Plus the fact they successfully guided us into a UK recession and delivered sky-high interest rates, crippling the poor but helping the rich.

Yes, last year was bad, but it wasn't caused by Labour. It was a global problem stemming from the banks, particularly in the USA. It was also caused by commercial and public greed. I know people on less than the average wage with 3 houses to let for fucks-sake and I know people with Visa debts that are crippling. More, more, more, how do you like it now eh!

Yes, Immigration is a problem, but it's because we are members of the EU. We all have the right to piss off to somewhere else in Europe and set up shop. The difference is we can't speak the lingo and don't have the balls.

The truth is we like this "shitty" little island and its crap weather. We like our NHS and our mediocre public services. We like the new schools and hospitals that are being built to benefit us and our children. Pensioners have never had it so good with their winter fuel allowances, attendance and carers allowances. Do we really want to risk all this?

Yes, Gordon Brown lacks charisma and a personality but he is a brainy bastard and the best equipt to steady the ship.

13 years of Labour and 2 bad years, it's not a bad return is it really? I for one feel I have had it pretty good under them and am all for sticking with the devil I know, rather than the posh twat I don't.

No doubt you have guessed, It's the husband here, venting his spleen after hearing way too many forgetfull, working class people say they will be voting for the Tories in May, especially the public sector workers.

Time for a cuppa, brewed using the finest, most expensive privatised water and electricity with many thanks to Mrs Thatcher and her crew.

over a year ago

yup the same maggie that told the working class they could be middle class if they bought their council houses and now look at the mess we in with that!!

im still decidin with lib dem and labour personally the bit that playin on me is the lib dem agreein to joinin the euro i like the pound!! xx

Post new Message to Thread