Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

MP's to get legal expenses

Jump to newest

By *ausage and sizzle OP   Couple
over a year ago

Barnstaple

Three former Labour MPs (MPs Devine, Chaytor and Morley) facing criminal charges over their expenses have won the right to have their legal fees paid for by the taxpayer.

No matter what we do, these scumbags make up the rules for themselves and there's nothing we can do except decide whether we prefer the devil we know or the devil we don't. Really cheesed-off now!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

More hysteria on the run up to an election, we’re sure that if child killers, paedophiles and serial killers can get legal aid then its possible former MP’s can too

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

I rather think they will have cooked their last goose at the taxpayers expense

You would hope that they don't get voted in again

Just like that Tory Julie Kirkbride

over a year ago

really it would make you sick!!! xx

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

bloody disgusting what these money grabbing scumbags gets away with.

Steve

over a year ago

Don’t see what the big deal is, after all we’ll be paying for their upkeep if they are found guilty, shame really, they should all be in the dock rather than just a few scapegoats

By *ickmealloverWoman
over a year ago

a very plush appartment off junt 7 M5

A Labour activist is taking a stroll along a clifftop, when he hears voices shouting for help. On closer inspection he sees two people clinging for dear life from the cliff’s edge – one a Tory and one a LibDem. The moral dilemma, of course, is: which one should the Labour activist kick off first?

Answer: the Tory. Business before pleasure

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"More hysteria on the run up to an election, we’re sure that if child killers, paedophiles and serial killers can get legal aid then its possible former MP’s can too "

We're not talking about people who are hard up for cash. They've stolen money from you and I (allegedly). It's not hysteria, these people make the rules for you and I and themselves. Rather that than apathy any day!

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"I rather think they will have cooked their last goose at the taxpayers expense

"

If it was a swan it would have all been ok

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Shhhhhhh don't mention the swans

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Shhhhhhh don't mention the swans "

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

hmmmmmmmmm I wonder how many of us have fiddled our expenses

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

"I rather think they will have cooked their last goose at the taxpayers expense

If it was a swan it would have all been ok "

pmsl the swans have had a couple of mentions today

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

who made the rules on who gets legal aid.are they new rules,or the same rules that have always been.im sure no tory m p would ever stoop to such levels.ha ha ha.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

How on their income do they qualify?

over a year ago

"How on their income do they qualify? "

Was wonderin the same. I couldn't get a penny when i got divorced.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

well a couple of things you might want to know....

1) anyone facing a charge where the punish is possible jail time then they can apply for legal aid...

2) the judge in court can make them pay some or all of it back......

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

It's not very often I swear but it's a effing disgrace!!!!

Kid lost his mum last year, we had to wait 6 weeks before she could be cremated because she had to be means tested before a grant could be granted, 6 weeks she waited in a morgue, yet some MPs can fiddle left, right, and effing centre!!!

I need to go and take a chill pill now!!

over a year ago

"It's not very often I swear but it's a effing disgrace!!!!

Kid lost his mum last year, we had to wait 6 weeks before she could be cremated because she had to be means tested before a grant could be granted, 6 weeks she waited in a morgue, yet some MPs can fiddle left, right, and effing centre!!!

I need to go and take a chill pill now!! "

Some things are just wrong!

By *ixplayMan
over a year ago

tamworth & Edinburgh

they are really taking the p***

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Increase the wages for MP's and scrap expenses, compared to other EU nation MP's ours earn far less than just about all.....even the feckin Greek MP's earn double the wage of British MP's.

Take away the need for expenses and you will take away the fiddles.

over a year ago

"Increase the wages for MP's and scrap expenses, compared to other EU nation MP's ours earn far less than just about all.....even the feckin Greek MP's earn double the wage of British MP's.

Take away the need for expenses and you will take away the fiddles."

It might be the best way all round but they get far more than they are worth.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"How on their income do they qualify?

Was wonderin the same. I couldn't get a penny when i got divorced."

Getting a divorce is a Civil case and not Criminal so legal Aid is means tested for all Civil cases.

For the answer on Criminal cases see Fabio's post above

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"Increase the wages for MP's and scrap expenses, compared to other EU nation MP's ours earn far less than just about all.....even the feckin Greek MP's earn double the wage of British MP's.

Take away the need for expenses and you will take away the fiddles."

Isn't MP's starting wage about £64,000 - so not exactly on the poverty line then.

Not sure it justifys fiddling????

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"How on their income do they qualify?

Was wonderin the same. I couldn't get a penny when i got divorced.

Getting a divorce is a Civil case and not Criminal so legal Aid is means tested for all Civil cases.

For the answer on Criminal cases see Fabio's post above "

Well noted If legal aid was available there would be decree absolutes all over the place

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Isn't MP's starting wage about £64,000 - so not exactly on the poverty line then.

Not sure it justifys fiddling???? "

An average branch manager for Natwest bank (RBS) earns in the region of 75k, GP's now earn around 90k since their 2007 agreement.

MEP's earn around 80k.

Compared to the wages of many UK professionals MP's are not big earners.

Take away the need to fiddle their expenses and link it with a ban on sitting on the boards of UK companies.

over a year ago

I would rather pay to keep those crooks in jail.

Cannot believe they are getting legal aid!!

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"I would rather pay to keep those crooks in jail.

Cannot believe they are getting legal aid!!"

Its a sad thing to see. If they had any level of decency they would pay it back out of respect to the people.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Its a sad thing to see. If they had any level of decency they would pay it back out of respect to the people."

Well if they win their cases then it will be the state legal system paying back the legal aid costs, a bit previous to assume they will be found guilty at this stage.

over a year ago

More knee jerk reactions from the down-trodden working masses. Hang them blah blah blah, they earn too much blah blah blah, corrupt blah blah blah ...

The justice system applies to ALL or it's not worth the paper it's written on. Yes they can apply for legal aid and yes, the judge can order it repaid if found guilty.

The CPS will not go to the time and expense of bringing a case if it doesn't feel it's got an above average chance of winning it. Let justice take it's course and you'll see that we have a fair system in this country.

Whatever the outcome, these three will never sit as MPs again.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

Its a sad thing to see. If they had any level of decency they would pay it back out of respect to the people."

A Politician with decency? They are like hens teeth

Damn, I said on the other thread I'd had enough Politics for a Monday evening didn't I? lol

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"More knee jerk reactions from the down-trodden working masses. Hang them blah blah blah, they earn too much blah blah blah, corrupt blah blah blah ...

The justice system applies to ALL or it's not worth the paper it's written on. Yes they can apply for legal aid and yes, the judge can order it repaid if found guilty.

The CPS will not go to the time and expense of bringing a case if it doesn't feel it's got an above average chance of winning it. Let justice take it's course and you'll see that we have a fair system in this country.

Whatever the outcome, these three will never sit as MPs again."

sssssh.... i did trying telling them that... but they are glossed over my post with red mist in there eyes..........

actually the general rule of thumb in cases where money is an issue is they they are made to pay back most if not all the legal aid money... and.... most if not all of the profits obtained via the deception....

but heck..... lets not tell people.... so sssssssh and keep it on the down low please....

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"More knee jerk reactions from the down-trodden working masses. Hang them blah blah blah, they earn too much blah blah blah, corrupt blah blah blah ...

Whatever the outcome, these three will never sit as MPs again.

sssssh.... i did trying telling them that... but they are glossed over my post with red mist in there eyes..........

actually the general rule of thumb in cases where money is an issue is they they are made to pay back most if not all the legal aid money... and.... most if not all of the profits obtained via the deception....

but heck..... lets not tell people.... so sssssssh and keep it on the down low please...."

Its depressing what thee so called guardians of the country are actually are doing to it.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Whatever the outcome, these three will never sit as MPs again."

well said wishy (and _abio)

over a year ago

Barnstaple

Not sure it justifys fiddling????

An average branch manager for Natwest bank (RBS) earns in the region of 75k, GP's now earn around 90k since their 2007 agreement.

MEP's earn around 80k.

Compared to the wages of many UK professionals MP's are not big earners.

Take away the need to fiddle their expenses and link it with a ban on sitting on the boards of UK companies."

I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Don't people on the boards of big companies get expenses then? Whether MP's are worth the same as other MP's in other countries is debatable and irrelevant, it's no justification for stealing. It's a salary that lot of people working and travelling to London don't get and don't feel the need to steal. What you are justifying is the have nots, taking from the haves.

Btw I heard you Fabio - it's very reasuring to know.

Post new Message to Thread