Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Comparing the market...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

... can be a daft thing to do.

Today I looked on a couple of job websites to see how my salary etc measure up against what's on offer elsewhere and ended up finding an equivalent role for quite a bit more money Well, enough to make a difference to me each month.

I enjoy my job and like the Company I work for and am now feeling guilty at the thought of applying elsewhere but I think needs must!

There's nothing wrong with looking out for No1 sometimes is there?

I'm having a crisis of conscience.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is it not possible to ask your current employer for a rise as you have found other companies pay more for the same role?

Tony

over a year ago

i do it all the time!! you feel undervalued when you see the rates other people are gettin for the same job!!

times you gotta put number one first!! xx

over a year ago

"... can be a daft thing to do.

Today I looked on a couple of job websites to see how my salary etc measure up against what's on offer elsewhere and ended up finding an equivalent role for quite a bit more money Well, enough to make a difference to me each month.

I enjoy my job and like the Company I work for and am now feeling guilty at the thought of applying elsewhere but I think needs must!

Nothing wrong with looking after No 1 - if you don't put yourself first you cannot look after others. On that basis I suggest you do look and compare, however would also suggest you make a list of ALL pros and cons, including jo9b satisfaction, how you get on with your colleagues, travelling time, stress factors of getting to work, working times, boss' flexibility to name but a few.

If the overall score suggests a change... then go for it. You will then also do better in the interview as you go in more confidently, knowing your market value.

Best of luck xx

I'm having a crisis of conscience."

over a year ago

"... can be a daft thing to do.

Nothing wrong with looking after No 1 - if you don't put yourself first you cannot look after others. On that basis I suggest you do look and compare, however would also suggest you make a list of ALL pros and cons, including jo9b satisfaction, how you get on with your colleagues, travelling time, stress factors of getting to work, working times, boss' flexibility to name but a few.

If the overall score suggests a change... then go for it. You will then also do better in the interview as you go in more confidently, knowing your market value.

Best of luck xx

I'm having a crisis of conscience."

OOOOPS posted in the wrong place ... apologies

If the overall score suggests a change... then go for it. You will then also do better in the interview as you go in more confidently, knowing your market value

Best of luck xx

By *ickens CiderMan
over a year ago

taunton

All depends I guess? Will you have to travel further? Parking cost even?! Are the hours different? Lots of factors to look into really sometime less is more?! But a good point before maybe find out if your current employer might be half prepared to meet you somewhere near what the other firm is offering? It might be that the other company is such a nice firm to work for and are having to offer more to attract someone?think about cost over benefits first though...

Good Luck!

By *icknDeeCouple
over a year ago

hartlepool

Money isn't everything.

I'd much rather be in a job I enjoy, working for someone I get on with and feel appreciated than do the same job somewhere I hate going every day for more money.

over a year ago

"OOOOPS posted in the wrong place ... apologies

If the overall score suggests a change... then go for it. You will then also do better in the interview as you go in more confidently, knowing your market value

Best of luck xx "

I have been writing up the pros and cons this afternoon. Without knowing more about the other company and therefore applying for the role (it's through an agency so they don't tell you much about the company).

There are a number of other factors that are influencing me I guess. I never see my Manager as we work in different offices a couple of hundred miles apart. Even time to speak on the phone is a rarity.

From the description I don't think there will be much difference travel wise and depending on exactly where it is, I could actually walk which would have health benefits too.

I do think that my current employer could well come back with a counter-offer if I said I was leaving but I won't bank on it and if this other Company come up to scratch then I think it could be quite exciting.

On the face of it so far, I think I did the right thing in expressing my interest in the post a few minutes ago!!

over a year ago

"Money isn't everything.

I'd much rather be in a job I enjoy, working for someone I get on with and feel appreciated than do the same job somewhere I hate going every day for more money. "

If I felt appreciated then I think I would agree.

Post new Message to Thread