Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

car depreciation

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

right i need a wee bit help here iv seen a new car that i have fell in love with but right now the price is 20 grand.

my existing finance on my car has 2 years left to run how much would new car be roughly in 2 years??

thanks im a bit thick with that kinda stuff so any car sales people with a clue any help appreciated!! xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eclan_and_AimeeCouple
over a year ago

dunblane, stirling

if the car is brand new you lose an exceptoinal amount in the first 12 months.

it also depends on the make, model, colour and other things like whether it is a model that is due to be fascelifted by the manufacturer. they obvioulsy are less desirable than the new models.

best way to judge it is to look at the simialr car in the used car lot now compared to its new value at the time.

good luck ur entering a total minefield!

D

By *eclan_and_AimeeCouple
over a year ago

dunblane, stirling

best cars for good residual values are VW's, Audis, Merc, BWM, volvos etc

bad residuals are fords, vauxhalls, peugeots, and most Jap cars. but these cars are the ones that the dealers can tempt you with the biggest trade in values due to high bonuses for registering new cars (due to the fact that they lose value so quickly)

really depends what way you wantto save money. good residual value cars will save you money at the end, bad residual value cars tend to attract the best deals up front.

or get a moped? £60 road fund licence, 80 miles per gallon and free parking!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"right i need a wee bit help here iv seen a new car that i have fell in love with but right now the price is 20 grand.

my existing finance on my car has 2 years left to run how much would new car be roughly in 2 years??

thanks im a bit thick with that kinda stuff so any car sales people with a clue any help appreciated!! xx "

would also depend on what type of car and the model.... some types tend to depreiate quicker than others.......

try this.... seems to work well...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-depreciation-calculator/

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What model of car it is.

Some cars hold their value better than others. Also you have to take into account the mileage and condition of the the car.

If the car is valued at 20k don't go in with that offer. Offer 17k and see what they say. With the scrapage scheme finished dealerships are on their own and are having to look at other ways to sell their stock.

Best to go into a dealership at the end of the month as thats when they give out the best discounts to help them achieve their monthly sales targets.

Also when a salesman says he's away to speak to his sales manager you say that you want to speak to the sales manager direct and tell him what you want. What the sales guy really does is goes away for a sip of his drink or a wee stretch.

I worked in the motor trade for 17 years so i know what goes on. Do not let them have their own way, you tell them what you want

over a year ago

dont buy a new car .......they depreciate as soon as u drive them off the forecourt ...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Lease one.....

over a year ago

"dont buy a new car .......they depreciate as soon as u drive them off the forecourt ..."

absolutely true.much better going for a car a few months old and save thousands or better still buy off a private seller and save even more

over a year ago

thanks!! its just sooo nice but dont want expense of brand new one so if it falls over next 2 years it will be a bit cheaper hopefully xx

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Well you could tell us what the feckin car is....

over a year ago

lol!! that would help!! duhh!!!!

its the peugot 308 cc xx

over a year ago

"thanks!! its just sooo nice but dont want expense of brand new one so if it falls over next 2 years it will be a bit cheaper hopefully xx"

It might help if you tell us the model of the car??

For example a VW/Audi or Honda holds its value more than a Vauxhall or a Fiat.

over a year ago

"lol!! that would help!! duhh!!!!

its the peugot 308 cc xx"

French car!!!!

That says it all

But each to their own, if you like it then thats your choice.

over a year ago

"thanks!! its just sooo nice but dont want expense of brand new one so if it falls over next 2 years it will be a bit cheaper hopefully xx

It might help if you tell us the model of the car??

For example a VW/Audi or Honda holds its value more than a Vauxhall or a Fiat."

its above you lol xx

over a year ago

"lol!! that would help!! duhh!!!!

its the peugot 308 cc xx

French car!!!!

That says it all

But each to their own, if you like it then thats your choice.

"

my current car a renault and never had a bit of bother with it touch wood!!

buy british?? are there any??? xx

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Take a look at the Volkswagon EOC CC, around the same price as the Peugeot CC and a better drive.

over a year ago

goin to have a wee peek now!!

by the time other car paid off my degree will be finished kiddo will be nearly a teenager so dont need kiddie proof car and i will be an adult so time to treat myself!! xx

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually I am looking at this thread closely as I have my heart set on honda civic hybrid once i pass my test..... so i think the thing i have learnt is possibly to buy a 1 or 2 year old one... after that it holds its value really well....

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

the car supermarkets are good for nearly new cars try motorpoint

over a year ago

Simple rule of thumb, always works for me.

"Buying a car = Losing a fortune"

Whichever way you look at it, that's what happens, only the dealer and maunufacturer ever wins

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

Or......

You could go the other way, and buy a very cheap car of a second-hand dealer.

There is one I have seen that advertises cars from £99!!!

You usually get about 3 months warrantee on them, and if they break down just chuck it away and get another one.

A friend of mine never spends more than £300 on a car, and with a bit of basic preventative maintainance now and then, they often last two or three years before he replaces them.

Quite a cheap way to get about!!!

over a year ago

done that sthwales for years car just now 05 plate so in 2 years when im ready for new one it can get traded in i wont get much for it but i really want this other car !! xx

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"iv seen a new car that i have fell in love with"

Do you know of any dealer's that do bogof?

over a year ago

nope but if i find one you sorted lol xx

over a year ago

never ever trade in a modern car you will never get anywhere near its true value from a garage for it.our son wanted a smaller car and got his 05 plate mondeo tdci as trade in which is worth approx 3k private selling .the garage offered 1500 quid.garages do take the p*ss when valuing your car but want top dollar and more when selling them on.sandicliff are the worst garage for this in my experience

over a year ago

I don't think it's a case of garages taking the piss with trade ins but they do have to make a profit.

An example ...

Years ago when I was in the TV trade, I'd buy a TV from someone for, say 20 quid and sell it for 100 quid. To many that would appear like I was taking the piss, but I had to refurbish it, advertise it and give a 3 month warranty in case it broke down, so we'll say again as an example, the line output transformer failed, as they often did, that would cost me 20 quid or more to replace, so bang ! a chunk of my profit has vanished into thin air.

As much as I hate the auto trade and the sharp practices associated with it, you have to see it from a dealers point of view as well.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Sack your gardener then you can afford both

over a year ago

sod off il stop buyin underwear and make up and keep the gardener!!! xx

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

The things are going for them, you easily afford a brand new Toyota right now!

Actually, before all of their problems came to view, I hired an Avensis TDI estate for a couple of days and was amazed how economical it was!

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

If you're only looking in general terms...

"just under half"

over a year ago

"sod off il stop buyin underwear and make up and keep the gardener!!! xx "

Keep Mellers!!!

Post new Message to Thread