Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY TO U ALL XX

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY TO U ALL XX"

Happy St George's day from a geezer north of Hadrians wall ....

have a good one.....

over a year ago

why is today not a public holiday ? xxx

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Ooooh yeh! Im off to slay a dragon now lol and maybe a bit of morris dancing later

over a year ago

I'd settle for a happy georgette....

over a year ago

nothing wrong with morris dancers they know how to wield a big stick

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"nothing wrong with morris dancers they know how to wield a big stick "

yep some of us agree ...its the bells tho and the hat..i personally think they are just taking the piss and laffing at us for watching lol

over a year ago

"why is today not a public holiday ? xxx "

I agree it shud be, hmmmm another excuse to get wasted wooo hoooo

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

not sure i would want it has a holiday ...would prefer something like ....remeberance day where we remember all the onces who have gone before ....family friends soldiers etc etc ...St Georges seems so impersonal ..

over a year ago

oh happy st george day all xxxxxx

over a year ago

bloody hell you pop up everywhere lol we know morris dancers and god do they know how to enjoy themselves

By *imfromGlasgowMan
over a year ago

er...guess

Probably 'cos it's so close to Easter and the May Day holiday. There are at least a few people out there still trying to get some work done.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"why is today not a public holiday ? xxx

not sure i would want it has a holiday ...would prefer something like ....remeberance day where we remember all the onces who have gone before ....family friends soldiers etc etc ...St Georges seems so impersonal .."

Can we have an edit button to celebrate st georges day ....

over a year ago

Tis my birthday too... I'd love it to be made a bank holiday!!

over a year ago

happy birthday hun xxxx

over a year ago

how come the welsh get a day off and we don't.....hmm

over a year ago

"happy birthday hun xxxx "

Thanks

over a year ago

you should be out enjoying yourself today .. not talking to naughty people on here lol xxx

over a year ago

Happy st georges day

over a year ago

"you should be out enjoying yourself today .. not talking to naughty people on here lol xxx "

Lol, I'm talking to naughty people on here so maybe I can be out enjoying myself

over a year ago

not sure i would want it has a holiday ...would prefer something like ....remeberance day where we remember all the onces who have gone before ....family friends soldiers etc etc ...St Georges seems so impersonal .."

How can the celebration of our Patron Saint seem impersonal? It's highly personal to every Englishman or woman who loves England, whereas some of those that have laid down their lives in defence of our realm were not English, in fact. That doesn't mean to belittle the sacrifice they made but their own countries of birth have their own special days - St George's Day is for the English and I like the fact that nobody else from any other country on the globe can feel that they should celebrate it with us - it's ours and ours alone.

God Bless the Queen and Happy St George's Day to all English people everywhere!

** this was my son's original due date but he couldn't wait this long and came early but I'm still gonna celebrate it as though this is his unofficial birthday lol

over a year ago

not sure i would want it has a holiday ...would prefer something like ....remeberance day where we remember all the onces who have gone before ....family friends soldiers etc etc ...St Georges seems so impersonal ..

How can the celebration of our Patron Saint seem impersonal? It's highly personal to every Englishman or woman who loves England, whereas some of those that have laid down their lives in defence of our realm were not English, in fact. That doesn't mean to belittle the sacrifice they made but their own countries of birth have their own special days - St George's Day is for the English and I like the fact that nobody else from any other country on the globe can feel that they should celebrate it with us - it's ours and ours alone.

** this was my son's original due date but he couldn't wait this long and came early but I'm still gonna celebrate it as though this is his unofficial birthday lol"

well said couldnt agree more. round of applause for ya xx hehe

over a year ago

hmm maybe thats the problem , that you and you alone want to celebrate it ? st andrews day is international iv been in all sorts of countries all over the world on that day and had some great times with people who arent even from this continent , i do appreciate your national sense of pride in england and thats fully justified and good on you , i think you get a hard time becuse your flag well in my opinion is always linked with negative things , a feeling of resentment in certain areas in the uk , which is unfair as u have every right to celebrate ur national day in the same way as anyone else , as far as sacrafice goes thats what rememberance sunday is for to remember everyone british or not who died in all conflicts , war is a brutal brutal affair, although if i was down south are you saying i would be excluded from celebrating with you ? as i see myself as british and england is part of my country in much the same way as scotland is part of yours ?

over a year ago

Yeah, to want to celebrate St Georga alone seems a little daft, considering (as far as I know), 1) He actually wasn't English, and 2) St. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow, Scouting, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

number 2 quoted from wikipedia.

W

over a year ago

But I only celebrate St George's Day as an English national day, nothing else. I couldn't give a monkey's who else has adopted St George as their patron saint, that's up to them, but I could not celebrate St Patrick's Day, St David's Day or St Andrew's Day as I do not identify with those cultures, countries or traditions.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

** this was my son's original due date but he couldn't wait this long and came early but I'm still gonna celebrate it as though this is his unofficial birthday lol"

But st george is also the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow. and was a roman soldier killed and who payed the price for saying he was a christian ..

If we were to have a patron saint who was British closer is probably st patrick ,,,so if St George is a symbol to celebrate the country ,personally i i could think of loads of better ones

Real English men who have given there lives for this country over the centuries its why i would prefer a celebration of the country to be a rememberance day .It was not fictional dragon slayers who built this country to what it is. it was real people who often paid with there blood or commitment ....

just my thoughts have the dragon slayer if you want him ... but i dont need mythical fantasies to celebrate with pride being an Englishman.

PD

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

i only said happy st georges day, lol

xx

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"i only said happy st georges day, lol

xx"

he he he he yeah i know ....

By *DSRMan
over a year ago

leicester

I was born on St David's day :D.... D'oh!!! I will come back later, my bad lol

Peace

xx

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"I was born on St David's day :D.... D'oh!!! I will come back later, my bad lol

Peace

xx"

i dont think i was born on any special day ,its like nothing happened day ....

over a year ago

Bit late but Happy St Georges day from me as well!

over a year ago

hmm could not or would not ? do you consider yourself english or british ? these so called other countries and cultures are your country we live in the u.k and there are four countries and four cultures and people to respect to merely dismiss it as its not my day for my country reinforces the idea of negativity around the english , how is possible not to identify with the traditions of the british isles as a whole ?

Post new Message to Thread