Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Which headline would come first

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Imagine a scenario:

A 747 crashes with 300 kids on board and at about the same time the Queen dies.

Which do you think the main TV channels would lead with?

My money is on the Queen

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

No question about it, the Queen.

over a year ago

a friend of our works for the bbc, they have a program ready to go when ever she dies,

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I would say the queen. Mother Theresa died the same week as princess diana and it hardly got mentioned

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Without a doubt the story about the Queen would be the number One news story all around the world.

On the same subject my husband has a big box of fireworks he intends to light on the day Margaret Thatcher dies.

over a year ago

"Imagine a scenario:

My money is on the Queen"

Queen i think though it shouldnt be.

over a year ago

"Without a doubt the story about the Queen would be the number One news story all around the world.

On the same subject my husband has a big box of fireworks he intends to light on the day Margaret Thatcher dies."

Can he not save some for the day that twat Blair croaks?

over a year ago

Queens always seem to get the all the attention lol

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Without a doubt the story about the Queen would be the number One news story all around the world.

On the same subject my husband has a big box of fireworks he intends to light on the day Margaret Thatcher dies.

Can he not save some for the day that twat Blair croaks?"

No he has them all reserved for the woman who thought SHE was the queen...

On the day that Denis Thatcher died hubby misheard the radio and was halfway down the cellar stairs to fetch his fireworks before I called after him and gave him the bad news...

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Imagine a scenario:

Naaa front page would be on Jordan's new knockers

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Or in the Daily Mail it might be a story about 50,000 new immigrants having arrived in the last month....

Or 60,000 if they feel like making it sound worse

over a year ago

"Queens always seem to get the all the attention lol"

Does she have a profile on here then?

over a year ago

"Queens always seem to get the all the attention lol

Does she have a profile on here then?"

I would...Phwoar!

over a year ago

"Queens always seem to get the all the attention lol

Does she have a profile on here then?

I would...Phwoar! "

Who knows with half the pictures you only get a bit of a body part showing.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

On the same subject my husband has a big box of fireworks he intends to light on the day Margaret Thatcher dies."

A mate of mine is going to throw a party the day Thatcher dies lol. He also says if he ever finds out where she is buried he is going to go and have a big sh*t on her grave.

I think a few people in Liverpool and also mining villages will be throwing parties when Thatcher dies.

I hope she does not get a state funeral like they say she will.

over a year ago

"Or in the Daily Mail it might be a story about 50,000 new immigrants having arrived in the last month....

Or 60,000 if they feel like making it sound worse"

Hmm rather ironic on the day that son-of-the-manse Gordon was caught lying about the immigration figures. I think we all choose the lying, cheating bastards that appeal to our own priorities.

over a year ago

By the way, I have not watched TV or listened to the radio for a couple of days so I did not know anything about that bus crash so my sincere apologies to anyone who might have thought this thread had anything to do with that news. Definitely not.

By *ouple1234Couple
over a year ago

BELFAST UK

be the queen everytime infact any member of the royal family that passes would cover breaking news over anything else

over a year ago

the queen died years ago when freddie mercury passed on. ooops sorry wrong thread

over a year ago

"Imagine a scenario:

Is she dead.....and I missed it.....bugger

over a year ago

Her Maj has led this country for over 50 years and never once has she been embroiled in a scandal nor has she ever forgotten that leading our great nation is a priviledge. We could have wished for no finer monarch had we been given free reign to design the perfect Queen. It will be a very sad day indeed when she goes as we'll then have to put up with Charles before William takes his place, who I believe will become as fine a King as his grandmother is as Queen. Long Live the Queen.

over a year ago

....standing to attention and singng the National Anthem here now Wishy after that fine speech

over a year ago

"....standing to attention and singng the National Anthem here now Wishy after that fine speech "

Imagine this great country without a monarch.... it'd be just like America!!

over a year ago

"Her Maj has led this country for over 50 years and never once has she been embroiled in a scandal nor has she ever forgotten that leading our great nation is a priviledge. We could have wished for no finer monarch had we been given free reign to design the perfect Queen. It will be a very sad day indeed when she goes as we'll then have to put up with Charles before William takes his place, who I believe will become as fine a King as his grandmother is as Queen. Long Live the Queen. "

I rather like Charles and Camilla myself (she's particualrly jolly - and not to put to fine a point on it, rather fuckable). I'm sure she'll point bumbling old Charles in the right direction when the time comes. It's amazing what a sexy and amusing lady can do for a man's outlook.

over a year ago

"Her Maj has led this country for over 50 years and never once has she been embroiled in a scandal nor has she ever forgotten that leading our great nation is a priviledge. We could have wished for no finer monarch had we been given free reign to design the perfect Queen. It will be a very sad day indeed when she goes as we'll then have to put up with Charles before William takes his place, who I believe will become as fine a King as his grandmother is as Queen. Long Live the Queen.

I rather like Charles and Camilla myself (she's particualrly jolly - and not to put to fine a point on it, rather fuckable). I'm sure she'll point bumbling old Charles in the right direction when the time comes. It's amazing what a sexy and amusing lady can do for a man's outlook. "

ooooer! Camilla??? Sexy??? Fuckable??? Those words just seem so wrong when mentioned together!!

over a year ago

of course he has, of course he has....

over a year ago

"Her Maj has led this country for over 50 years and never once has she been embroiled in a scandal nor has she ever forgotten that leading our great nation is a priviledge. We could have wished for no finer monarch had we been given free reign to design the perfect Queen. It will be a very sad day indeed when she goes as we'll then have to put up with Charles before William takes his place, who I believe will become as fine a King as his grandmother is as Queen. Long Live the Queen. "

Here here, stuff a republic, constitutional monarchy all the way

over a year ago

Amazing how many lefties are bitter and revengeful.

over a year ago

"Her Maj has led this country for over 50 years and never once has she been embroiled in a scandal nor has she ever forgotten that leading our great nation is a priviledge. We could have wished for no finer monarch had we been given free reign to design the perfect Queen. It will be a very sad day indeed when she goes as we'll then have to put up with Charles before William takes his place, who I believe will become as fine a King as his grandmother is as Queen. Long Live the Queen.

Here here, stuff a republic, constitutional monarchy all the way"

oh.....don't get me started on the 'constitution'.....lololol

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

of course he has, of course he has...."

Steve will also be celebrating when that old bitch dies - as he's a Yorkshire man he was right in the middle of the miners strikes. Z

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Sorry, forgot what the thread was about! Unfortunately I think it would be the Queen. Z

over a year ago

i quite like thatcher.............

just in case no one realises this country doesnt have a constitution..........

over a year ago

A constitution is merely a set of laws which determine how a country is governed. It's true that we do not have a written constitution like other countries. However, we do have an unwritten constitution, and some would say this makes it more flexible and adaptable to change.

Constitution made up of statutes (going back as far as the Magna Carta), Laws and Customs of Parliament, Case Law etc etc.

Two basic principles- Rule of law and Parliamentary Supremacy which stems from the outcome of our civil war.

over a year ago

"i quite like thatcher.............

just in case no one realises this country doesnt have a constitution.......... "

We have a constitutional monarchy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy for more enlightenment x

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"i quite like thatcher.............

just in case no one realises this country doesnt have a constitution..........

We have a constitutional monarchy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy for more enlightenment x"

how does that work?

as we do not have a constitution

BTW I am a Monarchist, so this is in no way an attack on the crown.

over a year ago

we do have a constitution! It's just not a written one....tried to give a brief outline just above

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"we do have a constitution! It's just not a written one....tried to give a brief outline just above "

Oh yes I've heard that old chestnut before!

The unwritten constitution!

How about you tell me what our rights are under this fictitious entity?

How about the rights enshrined in the Magna Carta?

You know the main one, trial by a jury of your piers! The one that the CPS can object to and a judge can then say OK!

Or how about the right to a speedy trial, or habeas corpus both of which were swept away by internment without trial in NI in the 70’s.

Do you want me to continue? Or will you admit that the unwritten constitution is not a constitution but a myth to keep us prol’s in our place!

over a year ago

Rights are enshrined in all primary and secondary legislation which also gives us the rule and sets out our obligations and gives us a rule of law by which we should all abide.

Whether or not we, as individuals, agree with the Parliamentary process of law making is immaterial. Each successive Government has the right to change and add to this as they see fit.

This legislation is the framework for the constitution which applies to the UK.

Just because we do not have a written constitution which the man in the street can look at and say "hey, this is our constitution" does not mean that it is not there.

over a year ago

We are going off-topic here but never mind. As I see it we do not have a constitution but we have a modus operandus that is based on case law. This does give us some flexibility compared to a written constitution but unfortunately I feel it more opften allows the executive to trammel basic rights that we should expect to be off-limits by the use of such things as statutory instruments. At the moment this psychopathic control-freak government is largely only being held in check by a combination of the House of Lords and the European Court of Human Rights. A very unsatisfactory situation.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Stu, there is a big difference between a body of law and a constitution. The fact that our government can add to and alter our primary legislation by use of secondary legislation, ministerial, cabinet and Privy Council order proves that our body of law is not a constitution. Further even if you were to claim the primary legislation makes up our constitution, that parliament can repeal any law by simple majority proves that this is not the case.

Further as there are 2 bodies of law in the UK, English and Scottish law is further proof that your statement that we have a constitution is false.

over a year ago

is not just the rule of law....there are conventions....supremacy of parliament etc etc ....all goes to make up the fluid and adaptable constitution that we have.....it really does exist and if you go down to the bookshop, you'll find volumes of stuff written on it

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Stu, I will try one last time.

Constitutional law is law that governs the way laws are made and the division of powers between the executive, legislature and judiciary. We have no such law, since 1649 parliament has been supreme, and can do anything it likes, and the commons is supreme in parliament and can force any law through without restriction.

A constitution is a body of law that restricts such absolute power, we have no such laws!

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Def the Queen but even that depends on whether Jordan flashes her nickers that day (or bush).

Will also be partying when the she devil dies and the fires of hell will be well stoked up then as that lowlife scum put many ppl in an early grave and caused great devastation to the hated working class.

And arent we already part of America? the way things were I realy thought we were the 51st state.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Oops by the shedevil I meant Maggie and to even think about a state funeral for her is an insult to a great many ppl who would merit one before her.

Can anyone even think of a reason she should be given one?.

over a year ago

Will...am not being awkward, separation of power is a part (albeit blurred n some parts) of our constitutional make up.

We have a legislature which passes laws (parliament), and Executive which plans what is to be law (Cabinet) and Judiciary (self explanatory).

Parliament is indeed supreme and can make any law it sees fit, this has been the case really since the ending of our civil war. We delegate power to MP's through the electoral system, to make laws on our behalf. And if we, as voters, think that any Government is using it's majority in an unacceptable way then we have the right to try and change that every five years at the ballot box. But, any Government should always be sensitive to public opinion as we have the power to oust them...as we did the tory government in 1997. There are also pressure groups that act to keep the government in check.

Therefore, the theory of the Supremacy of Parliament whereby a government can do as it wishes, does, in fact, have limitations. The current Labour government has faced internal party questions over the health service, education, defence policy and sleaze – so its huge parliamentary majority does not guarantee the supremacy of the executive within Parliament.

The constitution is also made up of conventions which are an accepted way of how things are done. They are not written down, and may, in some cases be archaic, but they are established practice and have invariably helped ensure the smooth running of government. Occasionally, these conventions are given legal status (e.g. Parliament Act of 1911).

A couple of examples of convention which are part of our unwritten constitution are that a Departmental Minsiter will be expected to resign if they have lost the confidence of the Commons (in reality their own party).

It is also a convention that the queen will give assent to legislation passed by government. Nothing says she has to...it is just done.

The conventions are numerous, and the beauty of them is that in having no legal status they are adaptable to suit changing times.

Judicial Independence is a basic given in UK constitutional terms. Our society depends on decisions taken in these courts as it is their job (NOT the governments) to interpret law. They have to be secure in the knowledge that they will not face consequences if they interpret in a way that embarrasses the government, it is therefore not at all easy to remove a judge from the bench.

In conclusion I will just add that a constitution is a set of laws on how a country is governed. The British Constitution is unwritten in one single document, unlike the constitution in America or the European Constitution, and as such, is referred to as an uncodified constitution in the sense that there is no single document that can be classed as Britain's constitution.

The British Constitution can be found in a variety of documents, conventions etc. Supporters of our constitution believe that the current way allows for flexibility and change to occur without too many problems.

Those who want a written constitution believe that it should be codified so that the public as a whole has access to it – as opposed to just constitutional experts who know where to look and how to interpret it.

Amendments to Britain’s unwritten constitution are made the same way – by a simply majority support in both Houses of Parliament to be followed by the Royal Assent.

The British Constitution comes from a variety of sources. The main ones are:

Statutes such as the Magna Carta of 1215 and the Act of Settlement of 1701.

Laws and Customs of Parliament; political conventions

Case law; constitutional matters decided in a court of law

Constitutional experts who have written on the subject such as Walter Bagehot and A.V Dicey.

There are two basic principles to the British Constitution:

The Rule of Law and The Supremacy of Parliament.

So, although it is not written....it really does exist.

Not sure you'll ever be convinced though....and this really is my last word on the subject

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Oops by the shedevil I meant Maggie and to even think about a state funeral for her is an insult to a great many ppl who would merit one before her.

Can anyone even think of a reason she should be given one?."

Yea!

We will all get a day off, so we can all arrange street parties and have a good old knees up to celibrate her meeting old nick!

Post new Message to Thread