Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What are the legalities

Jump to newest

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

when a job you was in - and walked out of, before the "given time" still pays money into your account???

Basically i got a shockj today when i saw 2 weeks pay sitting in my account that i was not expecting.

Now i didnt work those two weeks.

Do i presume its a 2 week good will gesture?

Or that the forgot to cancel the BACS payment??? (tho someone must have looked at it to only give me 2 weeks and ot the whole month)

Can they take it back????

In other words, i have eyes and teeth that need attending that i would LOVE to spendd it on, but should i or not (Not to mention a haircut and some new shoes,,,,)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Could be holiday pay or you might have worked 2 weeks in hand when you started? Z

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

spend it!!

holiday pay or lie wk i was thinkin xx

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"Could be holiday pay or you might have worked 2 weeks in hand when you started? Z"

Was just thinking the same.

They can't just atke it back anyway.... but they can ask for it back if the persone who fucked up owns up and tells someone that is.

By *entadreadMan
over a year ago

Essex

"when a job you was in - and walked out of, before the "given time" still pays money into your account???

Basically i got a shockj today when i saw 2 weeks pay sitting in my account that i was not expecting.

Now i didnt work those two weeks.

Do i presume its a 2 week good will gesture?

Or that the forgot to cancel the BACS payment??? (tho someone must have looked at it to only give me 2 weeks and ot the whole month)

Can they take it back????

In other words, i have eyes and teeth that need attending that i would LOVE to spendd it on, but should i or not (Not to mention a haircut and some new shoes,,,,)"

I do not think they will take it back, if leave a job before your given time, you will be paid upto that time you walked out, that is why you have not be given the whole month's pay.

It is a lesson though, however bad a job is, give notice and honor that notice.

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

I would be cautious - stick it into a separate account, leave it for a month or two to see if they ask for it back.

I'd have thought if they don't let you know within a reasonable time that they'd made a mistake (assuming it is a mistake!), then you can reasonably blow it all on utterly unnecessary typical female nonsense. Or spend it on shoes

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

But i did work til the end of the month, but they said i "could" work for 4 weeks.

It was saving them money having to get a locum.

SO i was basically told i was not good enough to stay - but i was good enough to work the next 4 weeks and save them shit loads of money.

Well i worked 2 of those weeks, and then decided i was better spending the time looking for a job instead of working the so called notice and not being able to go for interviews etc as was "working"

So dont - young man, at my last job i gave them 3 months notice even tho i only needed to give them 1.

Respect where respect due.

So anyway - its not holiday, its not lieu.

All i can think it is that they "would" have paid me them 2 weeks had i stayed.

Good will gesture perhaps??

Would you admit it??

I feel kind of bad as it kind of feels like stealing - tho on the other hand i am chuffed to hell, lol

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Crikey - I'd spend it - don't know why you asked as seem to be quite clear where you're at! Z

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"Crikey - I'd spend it - don't know why you asked as seem to be quite clear where you're at! Z"

OMG - i am dying to spent it - but dont want any fall backs. I have had enough moneey worries the last few years xx

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Serious answer:

If you're sure it's not "weeks in hand" or holiday entitlement, then don't spend it - they may not be able to take it back, but they can chase you for it and in theory could take you to court for it, although obviously this is less likely the less the amount.

Suggest asking for your final payslip, which shold itemise everything and at least gives you a subtle method of finding out what they think. Also, once you have a P45, I'd say you could be more confident that they won't come asking, as past that point, they've "closed the file" (as it were) and are less likely to check.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

Be careful, if you dont declare it..its classed as 'theft'

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

But.........

If they do want it back...?

you can offer as little as 5p back per week

#

so go and enjoy it hun

By *ebzStar OP   Woman
over a year ago

Notting

"But.........

If they do want it back...?

you can offer as little as 5p back per week

#

so go and enjoy it hun "

Love that answer, andmy credit rating is pish anyway.

BUT- i never stole anythin more than a pen and a paperclip, lol

I feel bad about it being in my acocunt - so maaybe i would feel better if i spent it cos then it wouldnt be there anymore, lol

Whhooooohoooo.

Shame its only 2 weeks pay tho, lol.

Not exactly a Harrods trip or anything, lol

Post new Message to Thread