Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Running/ walking apps

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anyone got one of these? Is it any good?

I want something that will tell me how far I've walked. Unlikely I'll be running.

But I don't know much about apps. I don't want it to drain my phone battery. I have an Android phone but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't know of any - Im thick when it comes to things like this. Im interested in walking apps though

over a year ago

They will all drain your battery I imagine, as they use the GPS to measure distance. Why worry about that if you're just starting? Aim for time out exercising as opposed to speed & distance ?

Strava is a good beginners ap.

over a year ago

Strava is good and feee what I use when out on my bike

over a year ago

I've got a good old fashioned but very reliable pedometer. I don't run so don't need to know how fast I go, I just go Power Walking and just need to know the distance. Besides I know what time I leave the house and what time I come back so I can work out the time myself

over a year ago

Strava is good & Endomondo. Both free apps . When you get more into it, a Garmin device is great for measuring lots of variables.

over a year ago

"I've got a good old fashioned but very reliable pedometer. I don't run so don't need to know how fast I go, I just go Power Walking and just need to know the distance. Besides I know what time I leave the house and what time I come back so I can work out the time myself "
yeah, via the icecream parlour on the harbour wall I bet !

over a year ago

"I've got a good old fashioned but very reliable pedometer. I don't run so don't need to know how fast I go, I just go Power Walking and just need to know the distance. Besides I know what time I leave the house and what time I come back so I can work out the time myself yeah, via the icecream parlour on the harbour wall I bet !"

Ice cream parlour? Me?

That honey ice cream IS nice mind lol

over a year ago

Nom nom nom

over a year ago

Strava is good. Or you could just plot your route using Mapmyrun which will tell you the distance and I think the elevation. A garmin (or similar) is a fantastic bit of kit but probably overkill for your current needs.

over a year ago

" They will all drain your battery I imagine, as they use the GPS to measure distance. Why worry about that if you're just starting? Aim for time out exercising as opposed to speed & distance ?

Strava is a good beginners ap. "

Very good point actually. I've got an app now and I'll use it the first few times to get an idea how far I've gone. Then I'll delete it and just walk for fun. I'm more likely to carry on that way. Thank you.

over a year ago

"Strava is good. Or you could just plot your route using Mapmyrun which will tell you the distance and I think the elevation. A garmin (or similar) is a fantastic bit of kit but probably overkill for your current needs."

I got Mapmywalk which seems perfect, thanks. I'm not kidding myself that I'll do it seriously, but who knows. Evie! inspired me with her running this year. I can't run but walking fast is better than sitting on my arse.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I use Runkeeper. It measures speed, time, distance, elevation etc. I use it for cycling and walking, as I don't run on public roads.

Post new Message to Thread