Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

unscrupulous tradesmen ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A lady I have become friendly with at work (not in an inappropriate way) had some building and decorating work done in her home a few months back. At the time, she was telling me how the painter seemed to drag the work out for days longer than he should. I asked how he was being paid, and she told me that it was on price, not daily rate. The only reason I could possibly imagine was one that I was not comfortable to relay to her. She is a pretty lady of approx 30. Is it just my filthy mind, or would you suspect that he is spending time in her house, rifling through her intimate items ? He is someone she knows, via a friend. She went home one lunchtime, and he had apparently done very little, and he seemed flustered. His excuse was that he'd run out of paint !!

Maybe I am a dirty minded cynic.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When i was a Supervisor i used to take Photos of Cupboards, Drawers Etc with the Client present so that any Claims for loss or damage could be Verified, Maybe she could take a few pics of her items before he turned up then check after if anything inappropriate had been disturbed.

Gary

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Maybe he is just a lazy git

over a year ago

"Maybe he is just a lazy git"

This of course is very true. In the end she paid the guy and told him not to come back. She chose to finish the painting herself !

over a year ago

"When i was a Supervisor i used to take Photos of Cupboards, Drawers Etc with the Client present so that any Claims for loss or damage could be Verified, Maybe she could take a few pics of her items before he turned up then check after if anything inappropriate had been disturbed.

Gary"

That is a sensible approach.I think if I was an attractive young woman, I would be very reluctant to leave a tradesman to his own devices in my home.

over a year ago

"A lady I have become friendly with at work (not in an inappropriate way) had some building and decorating work done in her home a few months back. At the time, she was telling me how the painter seemed to drag the work out for days longer than he should. I asked how he was being paid, and she told me that it was on price, not daily rate. The only reason I could possibly imagine was one that I was not comfortable to relay to her. She is a pretty lady of approx 30. Is it just my filthy mind, or would you suspect that he is spending time in her house, rifling through her intimate items ? He is someone she knows, via a friend. She went home one lunchtime, and he had apparently done very little, and he seemed flustered. His excuse was that he'd run out of paint !!

Maybe I am a dirty minded cynic."

It could be but it could also be its a nice house to be in and he just doesn't want to go home.

over a year ago

The posts seem a bit harsh to me we operate a property maintenance company throughout the south of the uk and are regularly given keys to houses we work on and left alone to get on with the work all of our staff are well trained and crb checked we also photograph sensitive areas with clients before we start work and complete the job in a timely manner the guy in question is probably the bad apple that spoils things for the rest of us

My advice is to choose someone by recommendations thats how we get our work

over a year ago

"Maybe he is just a lazy git

This of course is very true. In the end she paid the guy and told him not to come back. She chose to finish the painting herself !"

could just not have much work onjust now so would rather take his time doing something than sat at home with the missus bending his earhole lol

over a year ago

"The posts seem a bit harsh to me we operate a property maintenance company throughout the south of the uk and are regularly given keys to houses we work on and left alone to get on with the work all of our staff are well trained and crb checked we also photograph sensitive areas with clients before we start work and complete the job in a timely manner the guy in question is probably the bad apple that spoils things for the rest of us

My advice is to choose someone by recommendations thats how we get our work "

I dont see the posts as being Harsh at all, the lady commented that he was taking a long time and seemed flustered when she arrived home one lunchtime, if a Tradesman runs out of Paint Surely its common Sense to go and Buy some more, Unless he was waiting for Santa to drop it down the Chimney.

Gary

over a year ago

"The posts seem a bit harsh to me we operate a property maintenance company throughout the south of the uk and are regularly given keys to houses we work on and left alone to get on with the work all of our staff are well trained and crb checked we also photograph sensitive areas with clients before we start work and complete the job in a timely manner the guy in question is probably the bad apple that spoils things for the rest of us

My advice is to choose someone by recommendations thats how we get our work "

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. It wasn't a generalisation of all tradesmen.In the case of my work colleague, she couldn't understand his very slow progress. I didn't pass my thoughts on to her, as that would be unfair to the guy in question, and embarrassing for her to hear that from me.

over a year ago

This of course is very true. In the end she paid the guy and told him not to come back. She chose to finish the painting herself !

could just not have much work onjust now so would rather take his time doing something than sat at home with the missus bending his earhole lol"

Yes, I can understand and appreciate that. The lady in question was just becoming angry and frustrated, having been given his word that it was only about a weeks work, and it had gone into the realms of taking the piss. She said that one day he had painted one door !

over a year ago

could just not have much work onjust now so would rather take his time doing something than sat at home with the missus bending his earhole lol

Yes, I can understand and appreciate that. The lady in question was just becoming angry and frustrated, having been given his word that it was only about a weeks work, and it had gone into the realms of taking the piss. She said that one day he had painted one door !"

Why didnt she simply get rid of him sooner?

over a year ago

Yes, I can understand and appreciate that. The lady in question was just becoming angry and frustrated, having been given his word that it was only about a weeks work, and it had gone into the realms of taking the piss. She said that one day he had painted one door !

Why didnt she simply get rid of him sooner?"

I think he had been put forward by an old mate, so I suppose she felt uneasy being too harsh too soon. Often not a good idea using mates and acquaintances, in my view. Often ends in tears. Its the old familiarity breeds contempt, scenario.

over a year ago

I suppose everyone has different experiences. I've been in the trade over 20 years, and I've always shown respect to others property. Leaving their private things well alone and concentrating purely on the reasons I got the work in the first place.

However I also things the myth of the horny housewife is just that. A myth. Never once met a customer that might want to be naughty.

Such a shame. Lol.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

When I worked in Insurance repairs stuff like this was always a pain in the neck.

From one side I'd hear complaints about tradesmen being late, not having the correct materials or agreed colour scheme, dematerialising early on Friday afternoons and so on.

And from the contractors, I'd have my ear bent about householders following trades around all day, taking the kettle to work with them, checking every item of furniture for scratches and trying to make a claim, even if it was in a room no one had been in and so on.

over a year ago

"When I worked in Insurance repairs stuff like this was always a pain in the neck.

From one side I'd hear complaints about tradesmen being late, not having the correct materials or agreed colour scheme, dematerialising early on Friday afternoons and so on.

And from the contractors, I'd have my ear bent about householders following trades around all day, taking the kettle to work with them, checking every item of furniture for scratches and trying to make a claim, even if it was in a room no one had been in and so on.

"

Sandra had an unpleasant confrontational letter from a lady ( I use the term loosely) she used to do a little cleaning for. In her rude letter, she accused my wife of standing on her leather suite, whilst wearing a stiletto heel ! In her very condescending letter she wrote "It is apparent you have been standing on my suite, wearing heels, as there is clear indentations.I am sure you can't afford to replace my suite"....It went on, but by the time I read that, I had told Sandra there was no way she was doing another minutes work for this vile snob. I wrote the woman in question a very sharp reply.

It turned out, some months later, that her other half had been entertaining a lady friend at their house. Putting two and two together, I smirked as I had visions of his "high heeled" lady friend ,cavorting with him on the furniture.

Who said there's no justice ?

over a year ago

"I suppose everyone has different experiences. I've been in the trade over 20 years, and I've always shown respect to others property. Leaving their private things well alone and concentrating purely on the reasons I got the work in the first place.

However I also things the myth of the horny housewife is just that. A myth. Never once met a customer that might want to be naughty.

Such a shame. Lol. "

Lol.......I've come across an agent who wanted to get friendly whilst working on a tenants property......infact far from horny it was insulting and now refuse to do any work for that company!

Post new Message to Thread