Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Beef Wellington in a Filo Parcel ?

Jump to newest

By *1ckey OP   Man
over a year ago

Camberley

Do you think I could get away with doing a beef fillet in a filo parcel rather than the more traditional puff pastry?

Was going to wrap the fillet in wild mushroom mix, and smoked pancetta bacon, then use several sheets of filo to build a parcel for it...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Do you think I could get away with doing a beef fillet in a filo parcel rather than the more traditional puff pastry?

Was going to wrap the fillet in wild mushroom mix, and smoked pancetta bacon, then use several sheets of filo to build a parcel for it...

"

Could work.. make sure you wrap the meat in an cylinder shape and leave it to sit in fridge for 24 hours before your wrap it..

That way it will hold its shape amd wont crack the Filo..

By *1ckey OP   Man
over a year ago

Camberley

It's a nice tube shape already, but good tip

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Make sure you have enough layers as the mushrooms will make it soggy when their juices are released during cooking

By *1ckey OP   Man
over a year ago

Camberley

I was hoping the bacon strips might help to lock in any juices coming from the fillet or mushrooms. It won't catch everything, but I was planning on several overlapping layers of filo.

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

I would have Thought the time required to cook the beef would mean the filo would burn

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I was hoping the bacon strips might help to lock in any juices coming from the fillet or mushrooms. It won't catch everything, but I was planning on several overlapping layers of filo."

I would no be so sure I'd stick with puff pastry

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

"I was hoping the bacon strips might help to lock in any juices coming from the fillet or mushrooms. It won't catch everything, but I was planning on several overlapping layers of filo.

I would no be so sure I'd stick with puff pastry "

Ready made ready rolled puff pastry is the way to go. Sear the beef first and let it go cold. Filo could be a bugger when it comes to carving it.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Don't forget to fry off the mushrooms till the juices are driven off so they don't make the pastry soggy.

over a year ago

"Don't forget to fry off the mushrooms till the juices are driven off so they don't make the pastry soggy. "

You beat me to it.

over a year ago

Drie the mushrooms with kitchen roll first ..

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"I would have Thought the time required to cook the beef would mean the filo would burn "

This. I doubt filo would work.

over a year ago

Ok now then I'm a butcher been working with meat for 25years. Trust me your wasting your time effort and at least £60 on a decent size fillet tryin to mess around with filo pastry. To be honest I can't even understand why you'd want to tinker with a perfect dish. The pastry is a vehicle to protect the meat from becoming dry the pate and mushrooms are also doin the same plus adding flavour. When I make a real and true beef Wellington its very heavy pastry an inch thick the fillets cooks inside staying so moist and wet when it arrives at the table I crack the pastry open and throw it away. If you want cheap nasty pastry have a pie

By *1ckey OP   Man
over a year ago

Camberley

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I will probably cook off the mushroom paste a little. I have a trick to protect the meat from getting overcooked.

I reckon the pastry won't be too hard to cut - a sharp enough knife will cut the crispy pastry and the meat with no issues.

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

"Don't forget to fry off the mushrooms till the juices are driven off so they don't make the pastry soggy. "

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

There is something quite disturbing using filo with a fillet of beef

over a year ago

"Do you think I could get away with doing a beef fillet in a filo parcel rather than the more traditional puff pastry?

"

Make a pancake with the mushrooms and wrap the beef in it to stop pastry from getting soggy,

It should be delicious

By *1ckey OP   Man
over a year ago

Camberley

Well it worked!

I used a mix of ordinary shop bought mushrooms (peeled) and some wild mushrooms, just washed those. Then blitzed in the blender with some oats about 2 table spoons of these, and some herbs. That was my mushroom mix. Then seared the fillet in olive oil, rubbed about a teaspoon of Truffle in olive oil over the fillet, then wrapped it in Oak smoked pancetta bacon. Placed this on a slice of filo that had the mushroom mix spread on it. Then wrapped several layers of filo around to make a good parcel, sealing with olive oil.

Started the bake with a foil cover, then removed this to brown off the filo a bit. It was delicious! The beef was tender and cooked to a tee, and the mushroom / bacon layers were mouthwatering...

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Well it worked!

I used a mix of ordinary shop bought mushrooms (peeled) and some wild mushrooms, just washed those. Then blitzed in the blender with some oats about 2 table spoons of these, and some herbs. That was my mushroom mix. Then seared the fillet in olive oil, rubbed about a teaspoon of Truffle in olive oil over the fillet, then wrapped it in Oak smoked pancetta bacon. Placed this on a slice of filo that had the mushroom mix spread on it. Then wrapped several layers of filo around to make a good parcel, sealing with olive oil.

Started the bake with a foil cover, then removed this to brown off the filo a bit. It was delicious! The beef was tender and cooked to a tee, and the mushroom / bacon layers were mouthwatering...

"

Well done, sounds yummy. Or it would if I wasnt feeling quite so stuffed...

Post new Message to Thread