Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

move or stay

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I had an interview in Peterborough yesterday, and if I got the job I want to move, but a lot of people are telling me to not do it. I'm sick of people trying to tell me what to do. I want to do this so badly. What's your opinion?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

you have to weigh it all up and do what is right for you good luck

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I had an interview in Peterborough yesterday, and if I got the job I want to move, but a lot of people are telling me to not do it. I'm sick of people trying to tell me what to do. I want to do this so badly. What's your opinion?"

If you don't want people telling you what to do, why ask us??

Do What's right for you. It's your life. Good luck.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/12/13 19:19:52]

By *anger mouse and EmmaCouple
over a year ago

Honiton

You are sick of people telling you.

Think of yourself and go for it!

over a year ago

"I had an interview in Peterborough yesterday, and if I got the job I want to move, but a lot of people are telling me to not do it. I'm sick of people trying to tell me what to do. I want to do this so badly. What's your opinion?"

Go with your heart, if it goes wrong,you can always come back.

Doesnt matter what anyone else thinks,its YOUR LIFE and it has to be good for you.

over a year ago

well, not to tell you what to do lol.

do whats best for you and no one else.

what will you be walking away from in chorley?

will what you get in peterborough be any better than that you leave behind?

only you can answer these questions.

By *oxic1998Woman
over a year ago

Belfast

If its what you want to do then I say go for it.....they will come round

over a year ago

go with yur instincts!

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

[Removed by poster at 24/12/13 19:21:55]

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

[Removed by poster at 24/12/13 19:22:06]

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Ah bollox

over a year ago

I will be doing support work, there's nothing like this chorley as it is dealing with substance abuse, mental health issues, and mental disabilities. I would be leaving behind all my family, apparently I wouldn't be able to support myself. But thousands of people move away from home every single year for uni or a new job

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"I will be doing support work, there's nothing like this chorley as it is dealing with substance abuse, mental health issues, and mental disabilities. I would be leaving behind all my family, apparently I wouldn't be able to support myself. But thousands of people move away from home every single year for uni or a new job"

give it a go if it don't work out you can always come back

over a year ago

Honey if you weren't considering a move, you would have applied...

Take the job..

if you hate it, move back.

If you can see yourself regretting not taking it, there's your answer xx

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

no brainer for me. Move, get yourself in first place. So often we compromise ideals, but actually you could still see whoever you see now with a little commute. Things like phones help.

It's amazing how we stay local when in actuality, unless you are out with the same group of friends each and every weekend, you'd probably have a better time coming back once a month

over a year ago

"I will be doing support work, there's nothing like this chorley as it is dealing with substance abuse, mental health issues, and mental disabilities. I would be leaving behind all my family, apparently I wouldn't be able to support myself. But thousands of people move away from home every single year for uni or a new job"

you mean there are no people in chorley/lancs with mental issues/substance abuse?

over a year ago

You have to do what's right for you.

I did it 7 years back, got a new job and moved to Brighton all within 5 days.

Best thing I ever did.

I'm sure you'll figure out what's best and good luck whatever you choose

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i can see why they are concerned with you being young but as you say thousands of young people up and leave for new lives and new jobs.

If you do go its not like you can't go back if it doesn't work out, they need to believe in you and support you as best they can in this new exciting time of your life.

Sounds like a great opportunity to me to do something you seem quite passionate about. Talk to them and explain how important this would be for you and hopefully they will understand.

over a year ago

After this past year I really need a fresh start, away from chorley, so if I am offered the job I will be taking it

By *eezMGeezMan
over a year ago

Amsterdam

If you want to move, move. I moved from Birmingham to Wales for work and then from there I moved to Amsterdam. Best thing I ever did.

If moving is what you want to do and you don't do it, you will always look back and think "What if?" Obviously you might still have this thought even if you do move but its easier to move back than it is to find another job to move for again.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

whatz chorley like .. im not a fan of peterborough

over a year ago

Why ask for others' opinions in the first place if they do not agree with what one has in mind?

over a year ago

"After this past year I really need a fresh start, away from chorley, so if I am offered the job I will be taking it"

Right decision.

Best of luck x

over a year ago

"whatz chorley like .. im not a fan of peterborough "

what's*

Chorley is terrible, most of the people are either addicted to drugs, scroungers who screw the system or alcoholics, there is hardly anything for people to do, no cinema just pubs, there is a swingers club behind the rail station though

over a year ago

Peterborough is a nice place.. I used to live there.. if you wanna move then no one can even tell you not to. Its your choice..

over a year ago

"Why ask for others' opinions in the first place if they do not agree with what one has in mind? "

because I wanted to see what other people had to say if it was them

over a year ago

"whatz chorley like .. im not a fan of peterborough

what's*

Chorley is terrible, most of the people are either addicted to drugs, scroungers who screw the system or alcoholics, there is hardly anything for people to do, no cinema just pubs, there is a swingers club behind the rail station though"

so you could get a job doing the same kind of thing in chorley then.

over a year ago

You are sick of people telling you what to do so you ask us lot LoL.

Weigh up the pro's and con's of moving against staying, see which.is best and maybe make a decision based on that.

Only a suggestion though.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

what's*

Chorley is terrible, most of the people are either addicted to drugs, scroungers who screw the system or alcoholics, there is hardly anything for people to do, no cinema just pubs, there is a swingers club behind the rail station though

so you could get a job doing the same kind of thing in chorley then."

maybe they are already well provisioned for substance misuse workers, plus if yo read the whole thread you will see that she is also looking for a new start.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

i would be inclined to go for it ...we moved to bristol about 10 years ago ..arrived 11 pm one sunday night not knowing where the hell we were or where the company we were starting work for the next day was due to a catalogue of catastrophes !!! ...never looked back even though it was the rockiest of starts ...ps ...i know a wonderful fb who lives in peterbrough if you need one lol ...best of luck what ever you decide

over a year ago

what's*

so you could get a job doing the same kind of thing in chorley then."

no because there's only care homes in chorley

over a year ago

what's*

so you could get a job doing the same kind of thing in chorley then.

maybe they are already well provisioned for substance misuse workers, plus if yo read the whole thread you will see that she is also looking for a new start."

I am yes, in the last 3 months I've had to report 3 people to the police, one knows where I live too

over a year ago

"I want to do this so badly."

Its YOUR life, if you want to do it, go for it, dont listen to what everyone else would do in life. If you can see yourself happier, with a better life, etc etc, then go for it.

By *ruitWoman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Go for it its your life.

Peterborough is an hour from me so happy to meet for a coffee if you do xx

over a year ago

"Go for it its your life.

Peterborough is an hour from me so happy to meet for a coffee if you do xx"

Yes that would be lovely, made a new friend already xx

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

Go for it. If you don't like it you can leave. Never have regrets.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Not going to tell you what to do, but it sounds as if your family are trying to frighten you into not going. Maybe you should ask them if they will refuse to have you back if you go and it does not work out. The answer (or refusal to answer) that question may be very helpful to you in making up your mind.

By *ruitWoman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"Go for it its your life.

Peterborough is an hour from me so happy to meet for a coffee if you do xx

Yes that would be lovely, made a new friend already xx"

Just do what is right for you. You are an adultand can make your own decisions xx

over a year ago

My family always told me I couldn't make it on my own (along with a load of other nasty stuff). I upped and left one morning and have never looked back! I lived in a poxy little village near Kings Lynn and always see myself as being stuck there forever. Moving was the best thing I ever did!

If I was you I'd go for it! You can always move back. You will never know if you don't go for it!

over a year ago

"My family always told me I couldn't make it on my own (along with a load of other nasty stuff). I upped and left one morning and have never looked back! I lived in a poxy little village near Kings Lynn and always see myself as being stuck there forever. Moving was the best thing I ever did!

If I was you I'd go for it! You can always move back. You will never know if you don't go for it! "

Did you fall out with your parents because of that? Or did they support you eventually?

over a year ago

I haven't spoken to them for 3 years. But that isn't just because I moved away. Everything was always a struggle when family was involved. But I think if you went for it your parents although they may not approve would do all they could to help you and make sure you was ok

over a year ago

Do you what you want, its your life, nothing worse than missed chances, go with your instinct..good luck

over a year ago

I live in Peterborough depends where you want to move to its not as good as it used to be. But if its a good job and fresh start then why not you only live once so go for it x

over a year ago

My daughters partner moved from Lincoln to Southampton to live with her he left his family after finishing uni. He is a support worker and after trying a couple of places is now happy where he is. They both work at the same place but do different jobs. Travel is a pain as neither drive. He is 23, go for it, I wouldn't have the nerve to change you have nothing to lose your family will still be there. Good luck I hope you get the job

over a year ago

Go with your gut simples!

over a year ago

Ignore the job prospects and what people are telling you. Do you feel there's anything about your area you would miss that much if you left. The life you have or the people, etc. Then decide how much of a change your new job will make. If the feeling of you missing something/someone is greater than the changes your job can bring. You know to stay. If there's nothing for you to stay for. Go for it.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

All I will say is consider if it's permeant or temp....is it supporting people funded as there is a chance they will no longer exists next year...as with any job and especially in the care and support sector make sure that it's a secure job...as you don't want to move and end up with no job...however I'd say go for it...I made the move to the West Midlands and not regretted it...

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

taking up my new role as "captain obvious"... if you are sick of people telling you what to do, does anyones opinion actually really matter????

if you want it that badly... you probably answered your own question....

over a year ago

"I haven't spoken to them for 3 years. But that isn't just because I moved away. Everything was always a struggle when family was involved. But I think if you went for it your parents although they may not approve would do all they could to help you and make sure you was ok"

My parents say because I supposedly take care of myself, I wouldn't be able to do it away from home. I make sure the house is tidy, my room is tidy, I actually have good personal hygiene, unlike them who only have a bath on a thursday and saturday and do my own washing (but always tend to wait until its full as I tend to hog the washing machine)

over a year ago

"I had an interview in Peterborough yesterday, and if I got the job I want to move, but a lot of people are telling me to not do it. I'm sick of people trying to tell me what to do. I want to do this so badly. What's your opinion?

taking up my new role as "captain obvious"... if you are sick of people telling you what to do, does anyones opinion actually really matter????

if you want it that badly... you probably answered your own question...."

I was wanting advice really as I'll be down south away from family and friends

By *ane DTV/TS
over a year ago

Glasgow.

If you think you'll regret not moving, then move.

It's not like there's only snail mail and expensive BT landlines.

Modern tech makes keeping in touch so much easier.

over a year ago

"I had an interview in Peterborough yesterday, and if I got the job I want to move, but a lot of people are telling me to not do it. I'm sick of people trying to tell me what to do. I want to do this so badly. What's your opinion?

if you want it that badly... you probably answered your own question....

I was wanting advice really as I'll be down south away from family and friends"

Peterborough really isn't that far south and it is a major rail and road junction so is easy to get to and from for Manchester. If the job has the ability to make you happy then you owe it to yourself to give it a go.. you can travel to family but can't do that journey as a commute to work.. lol.. Good luck hope it turns out to be as good as you hope it is...

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

you have to do what feels right for you. X

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

Why would you go to P'borough for the interview if you weren't seriously going to relocate there and what difference does anyones opinion on here make. We are all strangers to you and dont know your personal situ so anyones advice on here will be blind advice.

If you get the job go for it if not try looking again

Post new Message to Thread