Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Did We Need Religion To Survive?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

As the human race has progressed through its journey and development from early human through to today, have we needed religion in order to survive?

Is the 'God of the gaps' coming to an end?

Is religion now superfluous, have we developed passed its necessity (if it was ever needed) or are we just likely to replace 'traditional' religions with new belief systems?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

There will always be stupid people.

Stupid people will always need to be controlled.

Religion is still a pretty good control mechanism.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I have no religion and never needed one to tell me the difference between right and wrong.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"There will always be stupid people.

Religion is still a pretty good control mechanism."

Took the words out of my mouth

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Why are people who choose to practice a faith stupid?

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Religion is still a pretty good control mechanism.Why are people who choose to practice a faith stupid? "

I'm not sure anywhere in my comments I said that was the soul reason for religion or that it has only one use. You are putting words in my mouth madam.

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

some very successfull and pretty clever people have faith..

i dont get it myself but the actual concept of pure faith in a belief system is a tad intriguing..

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

i dont get it myself but the actual concept of pure faith in a belief system is a tad intriguing.. "

As above.

Reply privately

over a year ago

unfortunately you are right there .most wars and conflicts resulting in innocent people being killed murdered over religion,

do we need it no we don't think for yourselves

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have no religion and never needed one to tell me the difference between right and wrong. "

How did you learn the difference between right and wrong? Or were you born with that knowledge?

Accepting that you know the difference, have you ever chosen to do the wrong thing in life?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why equate stupidity to religion? Stupidity is better suited to people who repeat crap about time machines and blue people in a desperate bid for attention. But hey that's just my point of view i guess.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

i dont get it myself but the actual concept of pure faith in a belief system is a tad intriguing..

As above."

do not call me madam..

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Why equate stupidity to religion? Stupidity is better suited to people who repeat crap about time machines and blue people in a desperate bid for attention. But hey that's just my point of view i guess. "

Again, as above.

A merely gave a reason to advocate religion. Not the ONLY reason to advocate religion. But thank you for the comments. Very revealing.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

As above.

do not call me madam..

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why equate stupidity to religion? Stupidity is better suited to people who repeat crap about time machines and blue people in a desperate bid for attention. But hey that's just my point of view i guess.

Again, as above.

A merely gave a reason to advocate religion. Not the ONLY reason to advocate religion. But thank you for the comments. Very revealing."

Its an opinion, granted its one by many you will also find the view that someone cheats on their partner to be a stupid action along with people who exceed the sped limit.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Again, as above.

A merely gave a reason to advocate religion. Not the ONLY reason to advocate religion. But thank you for the comments. Very revealing.

Its an opinion, granted its one by many you will also find the view that someone cheats on their partner to be a stupid action along with people who exceed the sped limit."

LOL are you just throwing turds now and seeing what will stick? Stay on topic please and Merry Christmas x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

...............most wars and conflicts resulting in innocent people being killed murdered over religion,

do we need it no we don't think for yourselves "

Do you really think that most wars and conflicts are primarily because of religion or do you think that greed, power, status and revenge may be key drivers?

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

my god!!!!!! ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

" .most wars and conflicts resulting in innocent people being killed murdered over religion,

do we need it no we don't think for yourselves "

China quite successfully managed to launch several wars unhindered by any concept of religion.

Belief in religion is a choice. It gives a great many people stability and happiness. There will always a need for that

Reply privately

over a year ago

Again, as above.

Its an opinion, granted its one by many you will also find the view that someone cheats on their partner to be a stupid action along with people who exceed the sped limit.

LOL are you just throwing turds now and seeing what will stick? Stay on topic please and Merry Christmas x"

No not at all just pointing out another couple of things people have equated as stupid in the past. I could have also added bareback sex and meeting in unsafe situations I am intrigued now why you feel its throwing turds it is an unusual remark to make.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"I have no religion and never needed one to tell me the difference between right and wrong.

How did you learn the difference between right and wrong? Or were you born with that knowledge?

Accepting that you know the difference, have you ever chosen to do the wrong thing in life?"

I was never raised in any religion. Of course my parents were my first guide to right and wrong but I've always had a very strong sense of injustice.

As for ever doing wrong - yes I have but then I have seen religious people do wrong too so that argument is pretty irrelevant to me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

some people do need faith, I personally don't. If we weren't fighting over religion it would be something else, conflict is unfortunately in our nature. Just look at football, a ball game but people still fight over their teams lol

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

Jesus Christ !!! ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

You can omit the word stupid, you know.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

holy Moses!!! ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think, as science becomes more efficient at explaining our place in the cosmos, humankind will need a faith system to cling too….

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

It's another utopian ideal without religion imho

At least with it, people can look beyond (in whatever guise) that what society dictates

Reply privately

over a year ago

The more we shun the ways of the old the more messed up the world gets mankind fucked up and is still fucked up.

And it always will be

His is a scientist end off

If he was real I have to thank that mofo

For in inventing pussy his greatest work

Amazing

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I have no religion and never needed one to tell me the difference between right and wrong.

Accepting that you know the difference, have you ever chosen to do the wrong thing in life?

I was never raised in any religion. Of course my parents were my first guide to right and wrong but I've always had a very strong sense of injustice.

As for ever doing wrong - yes I have but then I have seen religious people do wrong too so that argument is pretty irrelevant to me. "

Fact is if you are native British (or northern European) your whole life has been shaped and guided by Christianity. and those born and bread in other cultures are equally shaped and guided by their dominant religions. We are all children of religion and saying that religion is not relevant to your life shows a total lack of understanding of religions impact on all our lives.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

godness gracious me!!! ?

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

As for ever doing wrong - yes I have but then I have seen religious people do wrong too so that argument is pretty irrelevant to me.

Fact is if you are native British (or northern European) your whole life has been shaped and guided by Christianity. and those born and bread in other cultures are equally shaped and guided by their dominant religions. We are all children of religion and saying that religion is not relevant to your life shows a total lack of understanding of religions impact on all our lives. "

I understand your argument. However I still stand by what I say. I do not need any religion to tell me the difference between right and wrong. Furthermore what I may consider right most monotheistic religions preach is wrong. And vice versa. Otherwise I would not be on a site like this.

Reply privately

By *uckoldandWifeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

why does god need people?

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"why does god need people?"

Read Terry Pratchett.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I bet your all celebrating Christmas though lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why equate stupidity to religion? Stupidity is better suited to people who repeat crap about time machines and blue people in a desperate bid for attention. But hey that's just my point of view i guess. "

He didn't equate religion with stupidity, it was actually a very clever answer.

The God of the gaps means that people throughout time have chosen to attribute anything they cannot explain to a deity.

If the leaves on the trees turn brown, God must have done it, if the sun hides behind the moon, God did that too.

Wherever there were gaps in our knowledge, the gaps became 'evidence' of God. As we advance and work out more for ourselves the gaps are shrinking and therefore so are the things that get attributed to God.

Imagine if you will someone who faced with a solar eclipse and presented with a full explanation of the physics, chooses to ignore the explanation and maintains a belief that God has taken the sun away as some kind of punishment.

Maybe that kind of individual could be described as stupid? Maybe that kind of individual will always hold onto any aspect of their belief no matter what.

Maybe that's why religion in that context will always be needed by some?

Maybe thats the point Funky was making?

Please be under no illusion, I would argue that religious belief does not equate to stupidity.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

The God of the gaps means that people throughout time have chosen to attribute anything they cannot explain to a deity.

If the leaves on the trees turn brown, God must have done it, if the sun hides behind the moon, God did that too.

Wherever there were gaps in our knowledge, the gaps became 'evidence' of God. As we advance and work out more for ourselves the gaps are shrinking and therefore so are the things that get attributed to God.

Imagine if you will someone who faced with a solar eclipse and presented with a full explanation of the physics, chooses to ignore the explanation and maintains a belief that God has taken the sun away as some kind of punishment.

Maybe that kind of individual could be described as stupid? Maybe that kind of individual will always hold onto any aspect of their belief no matter what.

Please be under no illusion, I would argue that religious belief does not equate to stupidity. "

More eloquent than I will ever be but that was my gist!

Reply privately

over a year ago

We never had religion to begin with.it was used to very wrongly answer questions we didn't understand and to control and strike fear into people.

religion will become less and less popular as we find out more.

its worrying how the right wing politics of America keep trying to fight science,actions like that will only hold a nation back

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"I bet your all celebrating Christmas though lol"

It's simply a midwinter festival for me. I have no religious iconography on show apart from the occasional card sent by others.

We have had midwinter feasts in this country for millenia way before Christianity piggy-backed on to it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fact is if you are native British (or northern European) your whole life has been shaped and guided by Christianity. and those born and bread in other cultures are equally shaped and guided by their dominant religions. We are all children of religion and saying that religion is not relevant to your life shows a total lack of understanding of religions impact on all our lives. "

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Fact is if you are native British (or northern European) your whole life has been shaped and guided by Christianity. and those born and bread in other cultures are equally shaped and guided by their dominant religions. We are all children of religion and saying that religion is not relevant to your life shows a total lack of understanding of religions impact on all our lives.

I understand your argument. However I still stand by what I say. I do not need any religion to tell me the difference between right and wrong. Furthermore what I may consider right most monotheistic religions preach is wrong. And vice versa. Otherwise I would not be on a site like this. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

i used to think religion was for weak willed people that didnt have the capacity to give their own lives direction.

however, i have also found the religion, used in its purest and most sensible form, can give people a great sense of calm and sense of being when life itself fails to offer any structure or reason.

is it for everyone? no, i havent had any divine inclination since i was a kid. is there a place in the modern world for it? of course there is, just like there is a place for many things that others will find distasteful. only when something is bastardised and screwed to be something its not is it the called into question, and all religious teachings are there for interpretation by those reading it.

30 people can get 30 different meanings from the same passage

Reply privately

over a year ago

Religion is still a pretty good control mechanism.Why are people who choose to practice a faith stupid? "

The only faith I have is in myself, those close to me and the "Airborne Brotherhood" however I defend the right of anyone to believe in anything......

Reply privately

over a year ago

"some people do need faith, I personally don't. If we weren't fighting over religion it would be something else, conflict is unfortunately in our nature. Just look at football, a ball game but people still fight over their teams lol"

I guess part of my question is that if we accept conflict, competition, survival of the fittest as being core to the human story. Has religion dampened those urges or fuelled them.

It's easy to focus on the negative aspects, but when we look at the positive ones like compassion, treat thy neighbour as thyself type teachings, has religion been a 'net good or a net bad' over time?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Forgot to say, maybe Forrest Gump hit the nail on the head.

"stupid is as stupid does"

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"some people do need faith, I personally don't. If we weren't fighting over religion it would be something else, conflict is unfortunately in our nature. Just look at football, a ball game but people still fight over their teams lol

I guess part of my question is that if we accept conflict, competition, survival of the fittest as being core to the human story. Has religion dampened those urges or fuelled them.

It's easy to focus on the negative aspects, but when we look at the positive ones like compassion, treat thy neighbour as thyself type teachings, has religion been a 'net good or a net bad' over time?

"

Very difficult to ascertain. I just think of when I did a tour of the Vatican museum. The astonishing wealth was quite sickening when considering the amount of poverty in Catholic countries across the world.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Please be under no illusion, I would argue that religious belief does not equate to stupidity. "

Really? 2+2 = 4 always have and always will bringing in a reference to stupid people on a do we need religion thread leaves little to interpretation and very little cleverness involved more so the lack of it and the inability to express thoughts in a more concise less inflammatory way. That's unless you perceive the comment to be intended to be inflammatory and disruptive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" I do not need any religion to tell me the difference between right and wrong. Furthermore what I may consider right most monotheistic religions preach is wrong. And vice versa. Otherwise I would not be on a site like this. "

Well said.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Atheism is on the rise as humans we are better educated and more aware these days. It will continue to rise and certain people are very afraid of this fact.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i used to think religion was for weak willed people that didnt have the capacity to give their own lives direction.

however, i have also found the religion, used in its purest and most sensible form, can give people a great sense of calm and sense of being when life itself fails to offer any structure or reason.

is it for everyone? no, i havent had any divine inclination since i was a kid. is there a place in the modern world for it? of course there is, just like there is a place for many things that others will find distasteful. only when something is bastardised and screwed to be something its not is it the called into question, and all religious teachings are there for interpretation by those reading it.

30 people can get 30 different meanings from the same passage"

Well put it puts things into context.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mixture of both, I guess. Man is essentially territorially aggressive and religion has been used as an excuse for many wars. It has also helped stop wars too but it has to be said that once aggression starts and becomes part of the psyche, it's hard to over-rule

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Really? 2+2 = 4 always have and always will bringing in a reference to stupid people on a do we need religion thread leaves little to interpretation and very little cleverness involved more so the lack of it and the inability to express thoughts in a more concise less inflammatory way. That's unless you perceive the comment to be intended to be inflammatory and disruptive. "

It only leaves little to interpretation if you close your mind to interpretation.

I choose the comment to have been intended to stimulate debate.

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"

2+2 = 4 always have and always will "

Really?

2+2=11 (base 3) Need I say any more?

Reply privately

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

only to ignorant people they stupid

Reply privately

over a year ago

Took the words out of my mouth "

Reply privately

over a year ago

" .most wars and conflicts resulting in innocent people being killed murdered over religion,

"

The assumption that religion is at the root of most of the major conflicts in human history seems to be ingrained in our society. But is this assumption correct?

According to the Encyclopedia of Wars (Phillips and Axelrod), of the 1,763 major conflicts in recorded history, only 123 of them can be classified as having been fought over religious differences. That’s less than 7 percent.

The encyclopedia also explains that the number of people killed in these conflicts amounts to only two percent. This means that even when wars have been fought over religious disputes, they tend to be less bloody than when they are fought for other reasons.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"

Really? 2+2 = 4 always have and always will bringing in a reference to stupid people on a do we need religion thread leaves little to interpretation and very little cleverness involved more so the lack of it and the inability to express thoughts in a more concise less inflammatory way. That's unless you perceive the comment to be intended to be inflammatory and disruptive.

It only leaves little to interpretation if you close your mind to interpretation.

I choose the comment to have been intended to stimulate debate. "

Regardless of if I meant to be inflammatory or not (I didn't BTW). It clearly became so!

However my point still stands throughout the ages religion has been used as a mechanism for control. Control over people less able to manage themselves. It has provided a vital service in that respect but has arguably been misused at times by powers with more selfish agendas.

There are many aspects of religion, this is just one. Not at any point did I say everyone was stupid for joining a religion. The comfort religion can bring during traumatic times is incredible and I have first hand experience of this. Also the feeling of togetherness and the thought that some greater power is somewhere in the background pulling the strings is immensely re-assuring to some.

I certainly would never ever judge the value of something to someone else by using my own values as a gauge, that really would be stupid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I see religion as a way of explaining what we can't explain... So early tribes they worshipped the sun and moon etc.. because they must have seemed pretty amazing...

I think most believe in something... But maybe not a all powerful god... Whether it's science based or deity based or something ekse, most believe in something.

Cali

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don’t think humankind has existed long enough to claim we have survived…..

Reply privately

over a year ago

The assumption that religion is at the root of most of the major conflicts in human history seems to be ingrained in our society. But is this assumption correct?

According to the Encyclopedia of Wars (Phillips and Axelrod), of the 1,763 major conflicts in recorded history, only 123 of them can be classified as having been fought over religious differences. That’s less than 7 percent.

The encyclopedia also explains that the number of people killed in these conflicts amounts to only two percent. This means that even when wars have been fought over religious disputes, they tend to be less bloody than when they are fought for other reasons."

but history is written by the victors, as it were.

loook at the bullshit with the islamic fundamentalists and the west now.

it started off as a problem with americas foreign policy concerning the middle east, and is now bastardised into some kind of holy war.

when the changeover occured, who knows, but which story will history record as correct?

will it be a religious conflict, or the original conflict over politics?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Regardless of if I meant to be inflammatory or not (I didn't BTW). It clearly became so!

However my point still stands throughout the ages religion has been used as a mechanism for control. Control over people less able to manage themselves. It has provided a vital service in that respect but has arguably been misused at times by powers with more selfish agendas.

There are many aspects of religion, this is just one. Not at any point did I say everyone was stupid for joining a religion. The comfort religion can bring during traumatic times is incredible and I have first hand experience of this. Also the feeling of togetherness and the thought that some greater power is somewhere in the background pulling the strings is immensely re-assuring to some.

I certainly would never ever judge the value of something to someone else by using my own values as a gauge, that really would be stupid."

Really? You need to read more of what you type then as its a common trait but saying that the majority of society make judgements on their own values that is how people compare things. Wouldn't really stupid be a comment for lack of forethought before verbal or keyboard action rather than in a derisory way.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"

I certainly would never ever judge the value of something to someone else by using my own values as a gauge, that really would be stupid.

Really? You need to read more of what you type then as its a common trait but saying that the majority of society make judgements on their own values that is how people compare things. Wouldn't really stupid be a comment for lack of forethought before verbal or keyboard action rather than in a derisory way. "

*can't help think this might be about me and not religion*

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

holy mother of Christ!! ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Really? You need to read more of what you type then as its a common trait but saying that the majority of society make judgements on their own values that is how people compare things. Wouldn't really stupid be a comment for lack of forethought before verbal or keyboard action rather than in a derisory way.

*can't help think this might be about me and not religion* "

Is that a personal judgement make on your own values? The reality its a comment made on typed words and a viewpoint in general that's is what reply's to posts on forums generally are.

Reply privately

over a year ago

l think having faith in something can give you strength and support to carry on when times are really hard...

We're fortunate to live in such a tolerant culture with the freedom to live our lives the way we want to

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was going to ask the same thing.

I think it's a case of each to their own and leave it at that, no need to be rude about people.

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Religious wars are only a tiny proportion of the death and suffering which humans have inflicted upon others under some kind of religious belief.

Think of colonialism, the oppression of women in all major religions, the use of religion to commit genocide (think of the way Catholicism was used to wipe out the Aztecs, etc).

But also bear in mind that these things were done by men not religion. Religion was just a good excuse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

the conditioning aspect when young is all part and parcel, as a child it was part of the curriculum to study RE..

not sure if thats the case now, respect that awareness of other cultures and belief sysytems is a good thing if its used positivelly in breaking down barriers. Sadly thats not the case for many..

Lickety's quiz thread yesterday probably confirms that conditioning, how many of us knew most of the answers and are not practising or involved in education etc...

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!...or natural selection....or the big bang.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

however, i have also found the religion, used in its purest and most sensible form, can give people a great sense of calm and sense of being when life itself fails to offer any structure or reason"

Try a bottle of Jack, does pretty much the same thing

Reply privately

over a year ago

religious beliefs are like marmite you either CHOOSE to have the faith or you don't, its all about choices we make as human beings.

some people claim to have no faith or belief, however in their hour of need they seek solace in or from something that cannot be explained but is there in whatever guise suits them, that is their choice.

so whether your practice or have a faith held in Christianity, catholicism, Judaism, Islam, sikhism, serfism , Buddhism, jedi, paganism or your a atheist then are all one under the same sky.

one love one life

be happy live as one.

merry Christmas

Reply privately

over a year ago

2+2 will never equal 11, If you put two Cigarettes on a Table and then add two Cigarettes there will be Four Cigarettes on that Table. The problem with all Professional Mathematicians is the same one that Theorists and the early Religious Teachers suffer from, they complicate things too much.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The encyclopedia also explains that the number of people killed in these conflicts amounts to only two percent. This means that even when wars have been fought over religious disputes, they tend to be less bloody than when they are fought for other reasons.

but history is written by the victors, as it were.

loook at the bullshit with the islamic fundamentalists and the west now.

it started off as a problem with americas foreign policy concerning the middle east, and is now bastardised into some kind of holy war.

when the changeover occured, who knows, but which story will history record as correct?

will it be a religious conflict, or the original conflict over politics?"

Nonetheless it was an interesting point...and challenges the perceived wisdom that religion is the root of most wars...

Some religious and some irreligious people commit atrocities...and unfortunately always will.

Ultimately, and I paraphrase Satre, when the rich and powerful, whether religious or not, wage war, it's the poor who die.

The question of absolute morality and relavitism is an interesting one to me...

Religions claim to have it by default, though it can certainly appear intolerant of certain sub groups (women/gays...), but then some libertarians appear to tolerate almost anything include drug use etc..

We all have slightly different moral compasses I think...religion likes nice, tidy uniformity..the flip side being the complete freedom to choose.. Hence differences over years with regards to age of consent, legality of drugs, child labour..

I am restricted by my perspective which has been shaped by my experiences in a liberal society, but we're heading in the right direction... Perhaps we would have gotten there anyway...perhaps religion provided a leg up... Hmmmm...sorry for going on and on!!!

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"2+2 will never equal 11, If you put two Cigarettes on a Table and then add two Cigarettes there will be Four Cigarettes on that Table. The problem with all Professional Mathematicians is the same one that Theorists and the early Religious Teachers suffer from, they complicate things too much."

I think the poster was referring to base 3. In which case 2+2=11.

Reply privately

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

To answer the original question - I personally don't need religion to survive because its not part of what matters to my life.

However, I do not judge anyone for what they require in their life. If thats a belief in god, then as long as it brings them happiness and a sense of belonging or whatever they get from it, thats good.

I would never judge anyone for being religious, nor do I judge them for sexual orientation, wealth, house, location etc... What matters to me is the type of person you are - good or bad. Sadly too many people use anything out of their sphere of knowledge/understanding as a reason to judge - just take a look at the fab forums and you will see judgemental posts all over the place - not just on this one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"2+2 will never equal 11, If you put two Cigarettes on a Table and then add two Cigarettes there will be Four Cigarettes on that Table. The problem with all Professional Mathematicians is the same one that Theorists and the early Religious Teachers suffer from, they complicate things too much.

I think the poster was referring to base 3. In which case 2+2=11."

oh i know thats why i mentioned Over Complicating things because in the real world it doesn't if you count with Physical objects it will always be Four

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

would you Adam and eve it ???

Reply privately

over a year ago

"would you Adam and eve it ???"

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"2+2 will never equal 11, If you put two Cigarettes on a Table and then add two Cigarettes there will be Four Cigarettes on that Table. The problem with all Professional Mathematicians is the same one that Theorists and the early Religious Teachers suffer from, they complicate things too much.

oh i know thats why i mentioned Over Complicating things because in the real world it doesn't if you count with Physical objects it will always be Four"

Well religion is pretty complicated!

Reply privately

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

"religious beliefs are like marmite you either CHOOSE to have the faith or you don't, its all about choices we make as human beings.

some people claim to have no faith or belief, however in their hour of need they seek solace in or from something that cannot be explained but is there in whatever guise suits them, that is their choice.

so whether your practice or have a faith held in Christianity, catholicism, Judaism, Islam, sikhism, serfism , Buddhism, jedi, paganism or your a atheist then are all one under the same sky.

one love one life

be happy live as one.

merry Christmas

"

Reply privately

By *cottishrichMan
over a year ago

Here and there

Correlation does not imply causation.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

oh i know thats why i mentioned Over Complicating things because in the real world it doesn't if you count with Physical objects it will always be Four

Well religion is pretty complicated! "

.....JEEPERS CREEPERS!!!! ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

oh i know thats why i mentioned Over Complicating things because in the real world it doesn't if you count with Physical objects it will always be Four"

Cosmologists often use ideas like infinity too..which isn't something we can experience, but it's one suggestion when the Big Bang is discussed...zero mass, infinite density.... Some mathematicians disputed this aspect of the theory for precisely the reason you pointed out... In a Euclidean or Einsteinium (or whatever) universe, infinity isn't something our senses can experience..

Nonetheless it's all interesting at the very least

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

however, i have also found the religion, used in its purest and most sensible form, can give people a great sense of calm and sense of being when life itself fails to offer any structure or reason

Try a bottle of Jack, does pretty much the same thing "

not if the help you require is to cure yourself on an addiction to alcohol lol

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

HALLILUIA.!!!!..halliluiahalliluia!!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't believe we need religion to survive. It's a human creation, and whichever one you choose if any, it base reasons are personal to each of us. I don't adhere to any of them myself, preferring Darwinism. However I think that the original idea behind religion was about giving hope. Allowing us to think that there could be something more beyond these short lives we live. It's just a shame that along the way it has been twisted, or viewed with blinkered eyes on occasion by selfish people for their own gain.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I don't believe we need religion to survive. It's a human creation, and whichever one you choose if any, it base reasons are personal to each of us. I don't adhere to any of them myself, preferring Darwinism. However I think that the original idea behind religion was about giving hope. Allowing us to think that there could be something more beyond these short lives we live. It's just a shame that along the way it has been twisted, or viewed with blinkered eyes on occasion by selfish people for their own gain.

"

The original idea behind religion was (and is) control. Religions want your money and your obedience.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

THE minute you walked in the joint..i could tell you were a man of distinction a real big spender,.!!!!! .

Reply privately

over a year ago

so, to expand on the question, where do people get their morality from?

yes, we are taught right and wrong from our parents, and so on, but where does morality come from, if not a base in religion?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't believe we need religion to survive. It's a human creation, and whichever one you choose if any, it base reasons are personal to each of us. I don't adhere to any of them myself, preferring Darwinism. However I think that the original idea behind religion was about giving hope. Allowing us to think that there could be something more beyond these short lives we live. It's just a shame that along the way it has been twisted, or viewed with blinkered eyes on occasion by selfish people for their own gain.

The original idea behind religion was (and is) control. Religions want your money and your obedience."

And unfortunately it is used for that, and always will be.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

"so, to expand on the question, where do people get their morality from?

yes, we are taught right and wrong from our parents, and so on, but where does morality come from, if not a base in religion?"

....fear of the bogeyman!

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

yes, we are taught right and wrong from our parents, and so on, but where does morality come from, if not a base in religion?....fear of the bogeyman!"

Snot that

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"2+2 will never equal 11, If you put two Cigarettes on a Table and then add two Cigarettes there will be Four Cigarettes on that Table. The problem with all Professional Mathematicians is the same one that Theorists and the early Religious Teachers suffer from, they complicate things too much."

And again you make an absolute statement that is demonstrably wrong. Then when you are shown exactly how wrong you are you refuse to acknowledge your error and refuse to change and repeat your first statement, add a codicil and attempt to discredit any who do not subscribe to your point of view.

Sounds a little like religious dogma to me.

Reply privately

By *adgodCouple
over a year ago

Greensburg

So very true

Reply privately

over a year ago

yes, we are taught right and wrong from our parents, and so on, but where does morality come from, if not a base in religion?"

its how we evolved.many years before religion we lived in groups to aide survival.the best way for those groups to succeed is to get along.

our default setting is to get along.

Reply privately

over a year ago

yes, we are taught right and wrong from our parents, and so on, but where does morality come from, if not a base in religion?

its how we evolved.many years before religion we lived in groups to aide survival.the best way for those groups to succeed is to get along.

"

so, the 'commandments' are based on society, and not the other way around?

Reply privately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

so, the 'commandments' are based on society, and not the other way around?"

Well there have been many many different societies which had their own moral guidelines way before the commandments.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So am I bull stupid to believe in life on other planets and the fact that they have visited us? Where I don't follow religion some do as a need to know and believe that this life we got now is not all we live for, and that someday they will see departed love ones, there's a saying that I heared before. Man is smart people are stupid, as I don't think anyone who believe is god is stupid. I do think the idea of god is. That there is a all powerful being watchings us testing us daily to see if we deserve to be taken into his kingdom and be for ever at peace. But in saying that I do thank god for Darwin hehe

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well there have been many many different societies which had their own moral guidelines way before the commandments. "

but all societies seem to run along the same moral guidelines, allbeit only similar, not exact, so how, the world over, does everyone seem to find the same things acceptable and abhorant?

yes, there are exceptions, as there is in everything, but on a broad scale, similar

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well there have been many many different societies which had their own moral guidelines way before the commandments.

but all societies seem to run along the same moral guidelines, allbeit only similar, not exact, so how, the world over, does everyone seem to find the same things acceptable and abhorant?

yes, there are exceptions, as there is in everything, but on a broad scale, similar"

I'm not an expert on the history of moral thought, but the little I know suggests that morality isn't static... Slavery has been acceptable in the past, cannibalism, prostitution which some abhor, others feel people should be free to do with their bodies as they wish, eating certain animals, or any animals, incest..... Generally, a sense of justice prevails across history.

It seems relative to the time, place and the dominant culture.

Religion on the other hand is, rightly or wrongly, very rigid with regards to its moral framework and promotes absolutes.

Reply privately

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

A pint of what _scotsman is drinking

Reply privately

over a year ago

yes, there are exceptions, as there is in everything, but on a broad scale, similar

I'm not an expert on the history of moral thought, but the little I know suggests that morality isn't static... Slavery has been acceptable in the past, cannibalism, prostitution which some abhor, others feel people should be free to do with their bodies as they wish, eating certain animals, or any animals, incest..... Generally, a sense of justice prevails across history.

It seems relative to the time, place and the dominant culture.

Religion on the other hand is, rightly or wrongly, very rigid with regards to its moral framework and promotes absolutes."

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

may god forgive you all. x x X

Reply privately

over a year ago

I just recently became an apostate, Though questioned my religion for a long time. I'm so happy I did, but it's a shame I can't express my lack of belief.

Even if there was no religion, I still think there would be wars etc.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

is an apostate the female prostrate???

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I just recently became an apostate, Though questioned my religion for a long time. I'm so happy I did, but it's a shame I can't express my lack of belief."

WoW! What a brave thing to do and say (even here). You have my respect!

Good luck to you.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"...........

Even if there was no religion, I still think there would be wars etc."

Yes, there would but religion makes it easier to know who to fight. It works on the streets of Glasgow too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"is an apostate the female prostrate???"

No it means a person do leaves a religion etc

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Are you really such an idiot?

That brave lady has just said she has turned her back on Islam, THAT CARRIES AN AUTOMATIC DEATH SENTENCE IN THAT RELIGION!

And you come out with your trite comments, hang your head in shame!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I just recently became an apostate, Though questioned my religion for a long time. I'm so happy I did, but it's a shame I can't express my lack of belief.

Good luck to you."

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not in a Muslim country, otherwise it is punishable by death.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

"is an apostate the female prostrate???

No it means a person do leaves a religion etc"

,,...Like mo johnstone ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

No it means a person do leaves a religion etc,,...Like mo johnstone ??"

Don't know who that is.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

No it means a person do leaves a religion etc,,...Like mo johnstone ??"

Did he leave or was he pushed?

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I just recently became an apostate, Though questioned my religion for a long time. I'm so happy I did, but it's a shame I can't express my lack of belief.

Good luck to you.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not in a Muslim country, otherwise it is punishable by death. "

I know I do not really have to say this but please be careful even here you are not 100% safe.

Would have replied privately but I am outside your age range.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good luck to you.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not in a Muslim country, otherwise it is punishable by death.

I know I do not really have to say this but please be careful even here you are not 100% safe.

Would have replied privately but I am outside your age range."

Yes I guess I should.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good luck to you.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not in a Muslim country, otherwise it is punishable by death. "

which is maybe the reason why fanatics hate our 'liberal' religions so much.

the ones they practice keep their people (women) down much more than any western religion does, even to this day

good on you, madam poster.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

No it means a person do leaves a religion etc,,...Like mo johnstone ??

Don't know who that is."

....like kenny miller but more sleekit. x x X

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think religion isn't for everyone, sometimes though.people do turn to god for one thing or another.

A neighbour lost her husband of 50 years recently, she joined a church soon after. She said it helped her cone to terms with her loss.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

No it means a person do leaves a religion etc,,...Like mo johnstone ??

Don't know who that is.....like kenny miller but more sleekit. x x X"

....... and more skilful.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I think religion isn't for everyone, sometimes though.people do turn to god for one thing or another.

A neighbour lost her husband of 50 years recently, she joined a church soon after. She said it helped her cone to terms with her loss. "

So she's 70+? Had she considered strong drink?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think religion isn't for everyone, sometimes though.people do turn to god for one thing or another.

A neighbour lost her husband of 50 years recently, she joined a church soon after. She said it helped her cone to terms with her loss. "

i know a guy that turned to the church when he retired, to fill up his spare time.

the vicar kept putting more and more pressure on him to help with things, and he wasnt the kind of person to say no, he ended up having a break down.

so at a time when he should have been at home enjoying time with his wife, she was trying to nurse him back to health, until he died 10 years later.

some members of the church have a LOT to answer for

Reply privately

By *tirling DarkCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

I have had no religion for 40 years and I am a better man for it. My bh has been without faith for 20 years and again better of without it.

God botherers are simply deluded sheep.

Reply privately

over a year ago

To my mind religion absolves people from their moral and social responsibilities and dissolves any inclination to rationally think for themselves.

Who better to explain than

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8iCgfWva8

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As the human race has progressed through its journey and development from early human through to today, have we needed religion in order to survive?

Is religion now superfluous, have we developed passed its necessity (if it was ever needed) or are we just likely to replace 'traditional' religions with new belief systems?"

I suppose many people at some point need something to believe in, so if religion is that go for it.

I have known people that found religion and it saved there lives.

Personally it's not for us, crock of shit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A guy I knew said he was the second coming, the son of God. Unfortunately no one seemed to believe him and yet people readily accept the birth of Christ 2014 years ago.

It's likely that most people on this site are intelligent people and accept that the birth of Christ is nothing more than a fairy story.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's more a case of people need something to believe in and others have been brought up to believe.

Where as I think it causes more trouble than anything.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I haven't read through all of the posts.

There is lots of research that shows people are often happier and healthier with a faith/belief system. Not God as such but a structure and boundaries that tie them to others.

Reply privately

over a year ago

That makes sense - being part of a large support-system creates a feeling of safety. But it can also descend into complacency and laziness.

Reply privately

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

People should never talk about a 'faith system'. It should be called by its proper name - religion.

To talk of faith makes it sound like its a trusty old dog. Tony Blair started it to make a gnarly old thing sound new, fresh and, above all, relativistic.

Relativism, of course, is the abnegation of responsibility.

Religion itself, I think, is a load of codswallop. People shouldn't need it.

But it does help people. My mum had some troubles in her life and she got great support from the church and the network of kindly friends who also attended the church.

So, yes, it's codswallop - but it is useful and I don't want to see it disappear.

All religions, however, need an enlightenment to come to terms with the fact that most of us are secular. Islam in particular needs an enlightenment but there doesn't seem to be one on the horizon.

Reply privately

By *ing and RideCouple
over a year ago

stockport

It must have been when you were kissing me

Reply privately

over a year ago

My auntie was religious all her life; always went to bible groups, discussing and filleting texts. When she was on her death bed she fought for days, petrified to die, afraid of what was awaiting her, as a sinner.

If religion can do that to you, then it's not a good thing.

Reply privately

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Yohoho - you might be right. But I know that my mum got great strength in her belief.

I know many churchgoers and they are almost always good people, so it saddens me to see their grief at the closure of churches.

A religion that has undergone an enlightenment - as Christianity has - and has come to terms to secularism is pretty harmless and can do a lot of good for its members.

I'm not religious.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was raised Christian, but with age and maturity came the realisation that I neither need or want religion to guide me in my life and that I have a pretty decent moral ground established by myself without it.

There are A LOT of things I dislike and disagree with about religion, but I do also see how it helps and comforts others. My sister is very religious and I respect her choice, (as I do any other persons' choice to follow any particular religion) so long as it isn't forced upon me or preached at me.

I take issue with those that preach at others in the street to come to God for our sins - religion should be a personal choice and no one has to right to shame or pressurise others into believing.

Agnostic here, not an atheist.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am Yo(hoho)ni. Yohoho is another rather delightful lady.

Enlightenment? What I just relayed happened last year. There are plenty of good fold around, whether religious or not. It's the threat of hell and damnation for the Unbelievers that riles me. It's pure blackmail.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My auntie was religious all her life; always went to bible groups, discussing and filleting texts. When she was on her death bed she fought for days, petrified to die, afraid of what was awaiting her, as a sinner.

If religion can do that to you, then it's not a good thing."

I agree, a relative was on his death bed earlier this year - in agony all day until he passed. My sister kept saying "it's God's will' - I take serious issue if God would willingly put somebody through that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Another agnostic here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am Yo(hoho)ni. Yohoho is another rather delightful lady.

Enlightenment? What I just relayed happened last year. There are plenty of good fold around, whether religious or not. It's the threat of hell and damnation for the Unbelievers that riles me. It's pure blackmail."

Agree again! I attended a carol service with said sister a few weeks ago, thinking it would be nice for Christmas and the whole service was littered with comments about having people here who are 'living in the shadow of death' 'the black shadow' and that they prey we sinners come to Christ to repent.

Reply privately

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Yohohohoni, an enlightenment though means a religion accepting that it is just one set of beliefs. It means it has accepted that it can't insist that everyone shares its beliefs.

It is an integral part of liberalism. A belief in free exchange of ideas, free speech and free association follows.

The fact that a religion may well still believe in heaven, hell and eternal damnation etc - and that those beliefs may frighten people - does not mean it is unenlightened.

People are, of course, free to adhere to or ignore any religion.

Sadly people do not have that freedom in some parts of the world where apostasy can lead to death.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yohohohoni, an enlightenment though means a religion accepting that it is just one set of beliefs. It means it has accepted that it can't insist that everyone shares its beliefs.

It is an integral part of liberalism. A belief in free exchange of ideas, free speech and free association follows.

The fact that a religion may well still believe in heaven, hell and eternal damnation etc - and that those beliefs may frighten people - does not mean it is unenlightened.

People are, of course, free to adhere to or ignore any religion.

Sadly people do not have that freedom in some parts of the world where apostasy can lead to death."

There are plenty of (Western based) sects where the same threat is wielded.

Any belief system that thrives on instilling fear is bad.

As for "People are, of course, free to adhere to or ignore any religion.": I was baptised and raised a Protestant, and it took me years to get that part erased from my civil 'status'.

The vast majority of church members get to belong to that group by being born into that group, and indoctrination. No-on is encouraged to question the beliefs that one is expected to adhere to.

Reply privately

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Yes, but some people (ahem) were also sent to Socialist Sunday School.

Almost ALL parents try to make their children believe what they believe. It doesn't only apply to religions. They do it because they believe their belifs are the right ones.

To ban parents bringing up their children in the way they see fit would be tyrannical - the Spanish inquisition in reverse!

We have to have a free society in which religions have the right to proselytise. Citizens too must have freedom - to question andconfront religion.

There is no middle way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Citizens too must have freedom - to question and confront religion.

There is no middle way."

Problem is almost every 'religious' person is already baptised, without consent. If - IF - they start thinking themselves and questioning their beliefs, they get the whole congregation and their leaders against them.

I repeat: questioning and rationalising is NOT encouraged.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Religion by definition fears free thought.

It undermines its foundations.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hmmmm, Whilst I am not a believer in the Christian or Muslim or Buddhist for that matter, it's a core of my believe to live my life whilst doing the minimum harm.

To knock someone else's belief system does harm, so I won't do that.

One thing that all religion has done throughout history is to create bigger tribes which has created a bigger society. The negative of that is tribes will squabble sometimes violently. The positive is a mostly a global society frequently supportive of each other, and often tolerant of those on the edge as well.

So I have to conclude that god, be that a god of creation and afterlife or the god that makes rain, or even the god that makes profit that enables society to often look after each other is not a bad thing.

To each his or her own, enjoy life and in the possibly miss-quoted immortal words of Bill & Ted, be excellent to each other.

Peace happiness and a good life to you all, everyday is good, Xmas day is just one that many have picked to stop and remember others.

Reply privately

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

well happy birthday Jesus. fuck them big man. x x X

Reply privately

By *adgodCouple
over a year ago

Greensburg

"I was raised Christian, but with age and maturity came the realisation that I neither need or want religion to guide me in my life and that I have a pretty decent moral ground established by myself without it.

There are A LOT of things I dislike and disagree with about religion, but I do also see how it helps and comforts others. My sister is very religious and I respect her choice, (as I do any other persons' choice to follow any particular religion) so long as it isn't forced upon me or preached at me.

I take issue with those that preach at others in the street to come to God for our sins - religion should be a personal choice and no one has to right to shame or pressurise others into believing.

Agnostic here, not an atheist. "

Reply privately

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

I think the poster was referring to base 3. In which case 2+2=11."

Yes he was. Sadly he didn't express it properly, because they indicate the same quantities.

It should be 2+2=4 (base 10), compared to 2+2=11 (base 3). Both systems should be clearly identified, otherwise the statement is meaningless, and he ultimately disproves his intended example. Also because it was in response to another comment, he has ended up proving the original comment to be correct.

Reply privately

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes he was. Sadly he didn't express it properly, because they indicate the same quantities.

It should be 2+2=4 (base 10), compared to 2+2=11 (base 3). Both systems should be clearly identified, otherwise the statement is meaningless, and he ultimately disproves his intended example. Also because it was in response to another comment, he has ended up proving the original comment to be correct.

"

Or we could express 5 in base 2 (binary) any answers?

By the way in the beginning man created god and she has been making a mess of it ever since.

God is for those who need escapism and a deflection of reality! Its also for Catholic priests to hide their sins!

Reply privately

over a year ago

By the way in the beginning man created god and she has been making a mess of it ever since.

God is for those who need escapism and a deflection of reality! Its also for Catholic priests to hide their sins!"

Not in every case...

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont. "
5 in base 2 is 101...............

Reply privately

over a year ago

God is for those who need escapism and a deflection of reality! Its also for Catholic priests to hide their sins!

Not in every case..."

Nope but the main man (The Pope) has not really sorted the crimes!

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont. 5 in base 2 is 101..............."

I'm delighted you spotted that. Disney mean you're right

Reply privately

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

Even if there was no religion, I still think there would be wars etc."

Lots of respect to you. Still a need to be careful who you admit that to though, but I wish you all the best.

Reply privately

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

Are you really such an idiot?

That brave lady has just said she has turned her back on Islam, THAT CARRIES AN AUTOMATIC DEATH SENTENCE IN THAT RELIGION!

And you come out with your trite comments, hang your head in shame! "

No need to be so rude.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Not in every case...Nope but the main man (The Pope) has not really sorted the crimes!"

It's unlikely an organisation which supported Franco and the Nazi's even knows the meaning of the word crime.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's unlikely an organisation which supported Franco and the Nazi's even knows the meaning of the word crime."

Of course it does. It's just not them who are the sinners.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's unlikely an organisation which supported Franco and the Nazi's even knows the meaning of the word crime.

Of course it does. It's just not them who are the sinners. "

And it wasn't just them that sympathised with such regimes

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"It's unlikely an organisation which supported Franco and the Nazi's even knows the meaning of the word crime.

Of course it does. It's just not them who are the sinners. "

So who are the sinners?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course it does. It's just not them who are the sinners.

So who are the sinners?"

everyone who believes in sinners is one

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not in every case...Nope but the main man (The Pope) has not really sorted the crimes!

It's unlikely an organisation which supported Franco and the Nazi's even knows the meaning of the word crime."

Wasn't it mankind and his interpretations of religion that supported it, and not the concept of religion itself ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wasn't it mankind and his interpretations of religion that supported it, and not the concept of religion itself ?"

True, of course. Au fond it's the 'interpreters' that molded it into what it is now. The power, the possessions, the money, the fear.... it's a mighty weapon for those who are that way inclined. Not all are, of course.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not in every case...Nope but the main man (The Pope) has not really sorted the crimes!

It's unlikely an organisation which supported Franco and the Nazi's even knows the meaning of the word crime."

Wasn't it mankind and his interpretations of religion that supported it, and not the concept of religion itself ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/12/13 17:24:39]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why the re-post?

Reply privately

over a year ago

there will always be call for it. back in the day it was worship this god and you`ll harvest a good crop, worship that god for health and well-being. worship my god or ama kill you

it evolved from there to where we are today. now we are alot smarter and our questions are met with answers that just dont fly.

now i think we are in a stage of advancement where science gives us all these logical answers and makes sense of everything so we look back to the illogical/intangible that is god and religion for a break from all of that

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"

So I was wrong because I was right???

And just to be clear my point was that there are no absolutes!

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

That and shiny sparkly things

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No dear, it's how you're gonna feel in the morning

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"As the human race has progressed through its journey and development from early human through to today, have we needed religion in order to survive?

Is religion now superfluous, have we developed passed its necessity (if it was ever needed) or are we just likely to replace 'traditional' religions with new belief systems?"

Yes.

Reply privately

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

amen to that ... i saw god once ... she s black

Reply privately

over a year ago

The church needs dumbasses and money

Some people need to believe in sky fairies

Its a nice little reciprical arrangement

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

bit like your cock Ben

Reply privately

over a year ago

"bit like your cock Ben "

My cock has been removed from religion ever since a priest tried to show me the way to God

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I meant your little arrangement :P

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The church needs dumbasses and money

Some people need to believe in sky fairies

Its a nice little reciprical arrangement "

And ever more dumbasses cos they're dying off quicker than they can be replaced.

Reply privately

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

cake or death

Reply privately

By *ity Slickers PartiesCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Milan, Italy

" I do not need any religion to tell me the difference between right and wrong. Furthermore what I may consider right most monotheistic religions preach is wrong. And vice versa. Otherwise I would not be on a site like this.

Well said. "

Yes I agree but then again, despite the freedom we have some people cowardly use this site as a mean for cheating behind their partners and/or for their own selfish purpose so honesty and respect is still a basic human rule or common sense?

The main principle behind every religion has always been for good causes or it would not have survived for so long; whether some people have exploited religion for their own selfish purpose, this is part of greed and power, but it is not to be confused with the basic meaning of religion.

We may have grown, emancipated and we may be better educated nowadays as indeed science can explain so many things, but there will always be something that originated the whole lot as in the basic "stupid" phrase "who came first the chicken of the egg?" or whether it was a Big Bang that even Science will not be able to explain and what it cannot be explained even in modern terms will have to be associated with God.

I know it may seem heavy, but the Bible opens to a lot of interpretation for example whoever wrote the story about Adam and Eve must have known women very well or was certainly in today's terms a Playboy

Reply privately