FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How has Labour managed to waste so much money?

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

Im aghast at the figures that show how much debt the country has. I cant believe the amount of money that gets wasted over the last 13 years. Billions poured into schools, yet still we get kids leaving who cant read or write, and struggle to hold a conversation that doesn't involve monosylabic grunts.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

doesnt matter how much money goes into education you will always get children leaving school without basic skills .... if the torys had been in power do u think this wouldnt happen????

By *ausage and sizzleCouple
over a year ago

Barnstaple

"Im aghast at the figures that show how much debt the country has. I cant believe the amount of money that gets wasted over the last 13 years. Billions poured into schools, yet still we get kids leaving who cant read or write, and struggle to hold a conversation that doesn't involve monosylabic grunts.

"

I agree, but the problem has got so bad across every area of government it's hard to know where to start.

Bring back Cromwell maybe, he had right idea.

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"doesnt matter how much money goes into education you will always get children leaving school without basic skills .... if the torys had been in power do u think this wouldnt happen????"

My son was told by his English teacher in the 2nd year of secondary school as a research excercise, that it was okay to crib, word for word from the first site he Googled. And that's teaching kids to research????

I challenged the teacher, who told me that that was exactly what he wanted from my son. ...Come-on what did he learn from that????

over a year ago

Yep blame labour, there all as bad as each other.

As for children leaving school that cannot read and write, blame the bloody parents, because money won’t make a darn bit of difference.

over a year ago

"Yep blame labour, there all as bad as each other.

As for children leaving school that cannot read and write, blame the bloody parents, because money won’t make a darn bit of difference.

"

well said!!!!!! alot of the children that leave school without these skills do so because their parents are in a similar situation and dont have the basic skills to teach them....

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"

Again I disagree, as we have been asked more than once not to help our kids as they were too far ahead of the rest of the class - go figure!!!!

over a year ago

Again I disagree, as we have been asked more than once not to help our kids as they were too far ahead of the rest of the class - go figure!!!!"

So you’re saying that its only the school that’s at fault if a child cannot ready or write, and that parents shouldn’t have to accept any responsibly

over a year ago

Again I disagree, as we have been asked more than once not to help our kids as they were too far ahead of the rest of the class - go figure!!!!"

is this to save your teacher extra work??? any good teacher would be differentiating work for children with difficulties and those doing very well.

over a year ago

Most Parents are bad , are they really?Yes the tories made mistakes ,but labour have had 12 years in power . What have they done bankrupt the country !when they came to power the uk finances were in a very good state .Now a 3 rd world country . Roads hospitals education defence all a dis grace ! Get out there and DEMONSTRATE !!!!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

Barnstaple

Again I disagree, as we have been asked more than once not to help our kids as they were too far ahead of the rest of the class - go figure!!!!

is this to save your teacher extra work??? any good teacher would be differentiating work for children with difficulties and those doing very well."

I like to think that generally most teachers care and take a pride in what they do. I also think that there are lazy ones out there too. I think the system works against teachers, course work and exams are easier than they used to be and we don't allow kids to fail and understand what that means - so they leave school thinking that everything will work out fine and everyone will live happily ever after.

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"Most Parents are bad , are they really?Yes the tories made mistakes ,but labour have had 12 years in power . What have they done bankrupt the country !when they came to power the uk finances were in a very good state .Now a 3 rd world country . Roads hospitals education defence all a dis grace ! Get out there and DEMONSTRATE !!!!!!!!!!!"

I'll be there with you!

over a year ago

have read up and dont see one statement that claim all parents are bad

over a year ago

"Most Parents are bad , are they really?Yes the tories made mistakes ,but labour have had 12 years in power . What have they done bankrupt the country !when they came to power the uk finances were in a very good state .Now a 3 rd world country . Roads hospitals education defence all a dis grace ! Get out there and DEMONSTRATE !!!!!!!!!!!"

Not as bad as they were 12+ years ago, not defending labour, merely pointing out it wont change regardless of who’s in power, and whether we all admit it or not, everyone’s standard of living has improved tenfold since the Tories were last in power, as for us being a third world country, please take your next holiday to Somalia, then you’ll see exactly how much we all take things for granted over here.

As for all parent are bad, who said they were

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

As told to me yesterday.

It doesn't matter which party is in power. Do you really believe that making a vote made any difference they would allow the populace to use it??

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

What has Labour done for me???? Made me a poorer man thats for sure. they've given me a prime minister that no one voted in and the majority of the claims sleaze were labour MP's. OH and gordan Brown giving millions of £'s to Africa when our Public services NHS and education are struggling. I accept that we can't blame the recession on this Government but the way they've handled it is a joke

IMHO

over a year ago

Less than a year ago £100 bought us approx 6 bags of shopping, now it buys 4.

Less that a year ago I could fill my car for £40, now it takes £50 to do that.

10 years ago I earned less than I do now but always had money left at the end of the month, now I can't even save a little each month.

The roads were in a good state 5 years ago, we weren't fined for putting the wrong refuse in the wrong bin and there were approx 75% less cameras watching us when the Tories were last in power.

How the hell as my life improved tenfold under Labour?

Did anyone see Gordon Brown sitting on the front benches during the Budget speech lounging around like a fat sloth laughing all the way as Darling put this country to the sword?

Mr Cameron nailed it perfectly: The Labour party has taken United Kingdom FC from the Premiership to the Conference League in 13 wasted years, and the sooner we have a change of govt the far safer I will feel.

over a year ago

"What has Labour done for me???? Made me a poorer man thats for sure. they've given me a prime minister that no one voted in and the majority of the claims sleaze were labour MP's. OH and gordan Brown giving millions of £'s to Africa when our Public services NHS and education are struggling. I accept that we can't blame the recession on this Government but the way they've handled it is a joke

IMHO "

Do you honestly believe you were better off 15 years ago? we've ALL moved on a bit since then, as for the prime minister, its the party you vote for in a general election isn't it? heard all this before, 12 years back, everthing was either being sold off or privatised, poll tax demonstrations, people working for £1.60 per hour, people forget things far to easily, its like groundhog day, watch this space, they are all the same except the name they choose to use.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Well I didn't vote for either of them and as wishy said 12 yrs ago I earn't less and had more spare cash at the end of the month, so I can't see how I'm better off.

Having said that i do agree with you that Since new Labour came to fruition and stole all the Tory policies we havn't had a good government because there hasn't been a strong opposition

over a year ago

"... heard all this before, 12 years back, everthing was either being sold off or privatised "

...like our gold reserves...

....and Dover! Brown sold Dover to the fookin French ffs!

Who has a short, or maybe a selective, memory then??

over a year ago

Wishy, we’re better off tenfold, than we were 15 years ago, we have PC’s laptops, mobile phones amongst other gadgets, nearly every home has the internet, sky tv, multiple cars, sat navs, ipods, the list is endless, yes you had money left back then because you had less luxuries, and didn’t own the latest gadets, yes basic things have risen, but others have went down, try buying a PAYG mobile phone 15 years ago for £10 in tesco, or an iron for £3, we take all these things for granted, just found a receipt for a pioneer dvd writer for a pc from 2001, it was £300, can buy one today for £15, admittedly we have less money left each month but that’s because we have more things to show for it, due to technology you cannot really compare now to 20 years ago, as we have completely different lifestyles.

They are all the same, different parties, masquerading as a government, best thing that can happen in a general election is both big parties get the same amount of seats, that way we’ll all see clearly they’re all the same.

The only difference between then and now is that we buy more crap than we actually need.

over a year ago

The items of which you speak have nothing to do with the government and how much money is actually left in our pockets each month. Nearly all of those items you listed are infrequent purchases and I certainly don't thank the Labour Party for allowing me to buy them.

I remember the Tory government under Thatcher and Major and I remember the poll tax riots and the miner's strike, and the Falklands, and the Tory sleaze. I remember how, when a party is in power for too long, that it's ministers come to believe that they are untouchable and that the gravy train will just keep rolling along for them. I also remember the promises that Blair made and how much of a difference he was going to make, and I also remember Brown's promise as Chancellor that the boom/bust cycle would be broken forever, and I also remember thinking at the time that the man was a fool if he truly believed he could do that as nothing can perpetually rise and nothing can perpetually fall. It's called Market Economics and if one doesn't fully understand the intricacies of such a system then it can run away from you very quickly like a train going downhill without any brakes. Labour are spending money that it doesn't have to try and plug a hole that is continually getting wider, and sooner or later a tipping point will occur where the money runs out, and the world banks won't lend to us without exerting extortionate interest rates.

And that's when we'll go into a Depression. If you think a Recession is bad, you're in for a nasty surprise at the vulgarity of a Depression when everyone is fighting for survival. £5/litre for fuel.. £3 for a loaf of bread.. queues everywhere.. that's where Brown is taking us.

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

it does sicken you, when you see how much better all the other developed countries are doing.oops sorry iforgot,like a lot of people .it was a world wide recession.short memories,make bad voters.

over a year ago

NHS hospital claims, useless counsellors, immigration detention costs, and benefits upon benefits upon benefits and I even voted for them.

over a year ago

Here's an interesting article on the history of the UK Economy:

-------------------

UK Economic History

The UK was once the largest economy in the world. At its peak during the nineteenth century it ran the British Empire - and one quarter of the world. Its global mercantile system transported people, resources and capital, generating vast profits for the Empire.

Since the end of World War II the UK has been weakened by the costs of war, the end of the Empire and the Republic of Ireland leaving the United Kingdom.

In recent times, there have been two periods of strong economic performance. The first resulted from the Prime Ministership of Margaret Thatcher, who famously broke the unions and ushered in free market reforms that helped the UK to shed its ‘Sick Man of Europe’ mantle.

The second came about when the ‘New Labour’ government came to power in 1997, with Gordon Brown serving as both Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown and later Prime Minister, inheriting and expanding a period of continuous economic growth from 1992 to 2007.

~

UK Economy 2001-2007

The UK experienced a double bubble in both housing and the stock markets from 2001 - 2007.

Credit was cheap and easy, regulation lax and rules broken. Fuelled by mortgages of up to 125 per cent, house prices tripled in some areas during that period and the London Stock Exchange (LSE) reached record highs.

Home prices peaked in the third quarter of 2007 and the long decline set in. Unable to get wholesale funding UK bank Northern Rock was forced to turn to the Bank of England as lender of last resort in September 2007. This led to the first run on a British bank in generations, and forced the government eventually to nationalise the bank.

~

UK Economy 2008

Northern Rock did not mark the end of the British government’s involvement in the financial sector.

It was forced to nationalise Bradford & Bingley, help Alliance & Leicester and HBOS get bought, and provide capital, funding and underwriting worth more than 400 billion GBP to both over-leveraged giants like RBS and Lloyds TSB, and relatively stronger groups like Barclays, HSBC and Standard Chartered.

By Q2 2008 the UK was officially in recession and Sterling had dropped more than 30 per cent against the other main currencies.

With consumer confidence dropping and unemployment rising, the auto and retail sector were the next victims of recession. Household names in the High St including Woolworths, Zavvi (the former Virgin Megastores), MFI, Adams and Waterfords Wedgewood went into receivership by Christmas 2008.

~

UK Economy 2009

The British economy in 2009 was declining at an even quicker rate than originally suspected.

All sectors of the UK economy seem to be struggling, with consumer confidence, the housing market, employment and manufacturing either at the lowest point, or dropping faster than ever previously recorded.

Seeking to overcome blame for the recession and the fall out from his previous statements that he had tamed the ‘Boom and Bust’ cycle, Prime Minster Gordon Brown announced a major economic stimulus package. It will add to already high debt levels above 40 per cent of GDP, leading to speculation that Britain’s sovereign debt ratings would be downgraded and to further slides int eh value of sterling.

By the end of 2009, the UK economy is expected to have contracted 3.2 per cent (although some economists are revising that figure further downwards), with UK public debt rising to a staggering 70 per cent.

~

UK Economy 2010 Forecast

Forecasting in the midst of such economic uncertainty and financial upheaval is, to put it mildly, a challenge.

The consensus for 2010 has now shifted to flat to negative growth. Forecasts range from 0 per cent to -5 per cent growth, with the median in the -1 to -2 per cent range, although most economists state that major downside risks remain.

The Bank of England Interest Rate, Inflation and the three month Treasury rate are expected to stay low at under 1 per cent, under 1 per cent and 1.3 per cent respectively.

The budget balance is forecast to grow dangerously to -13 per cent of GDP, which would take UK national public debt above 70 per cent of GDP.

over a year ago

All that tells you is nothing has changed, and we're continuing where we left off, appart from a good 6 years, thats forgotten about when a WORLD recession hits.

http://www.bized.co.uk/dataserv/chron/kf90all.htm

over a year ago

"As told to me yesterday.

It doesn't matter which party is in power. Do you really believe that making a vote made any difference they would allow the populace to use it??"

Well i will be voting Labour again,if the tories get in they will hold another vote and allow the scum to go back out Hunting With Dogs,something i have been waiting years to be banned,it is barbaric,cruel and unnecessary.Now look what you have done talking politics.

over a year ago

Guy Fawkes has the right idea.

over a year ago

The problems with schools is that the children have got so much to learn from an early age. Infants and juniors are foundation levels to learn the basic skills english reading and writing spellings comprehension and maths times tables etc and grow. If they dont have the foundations how can they go on. Bring back the three Rs. I am a firm believer of the libraries and books research computers are good but it makes the children lazy.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

It doesn't matter which party is in power. Do you really believe that making a vote made any difference they would allow the populace to use it??Well i will be voting Labour again,if the tories get in they will hold another vote and allow the scum to go back out Hunting With Dogs,something i have been waiting years to be banned,it is barbaric,cruel and unnecessary.Now look what you have done talking politics. "

well if thats all that concerns you then God help the rest of us if all the labour voters think like that

over a year ago

" yet still we get kids leaving who cant read or write, "

I'm pretty sure that a lot of posters here who struggle with basic english left school prior to Labour's education policies.

over a year ago

" yet still we get kids leaving who cant read or write,

I'm pretty sure that a lot of posters here who struggle with basic english left school prior to Labour's education policies. "

not everyone had mobile phones then

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"Wishy, we’re better off tenfold, than we were 15 years ago, we have PC’s laptops, mobile phones amongst other gadgets, nearly every home has the internet, sky tv, multiple cars, sat navs, ipods, the list is endless, yes you had money left back then because you had less luxuries, and didn’t own the latest gadets, yes basic things have risen, but others have went down, try buying a PAYG mobile phone 15 years ago for £10 in tesco, or an iron for £3, we take all these things for granted, just found a receipt for a pioneer dvd writer for a pc from 2001, it was £300, can buy one today for £15, admittedly we have less money left each month but that’s because we have more things to show for it, due to technology you cannot really compare now to 20 years ago, as we have completely different lifestyles.

They are all the same, different parties, masquerading as a government, best thing that can happen in a general election is both big parties get the same amount of seats, that way we’ll all see clearly they’re all the same.

The only difference between then and now is that we buy more crap than we actually need.

"

I agree that there's little or no difference between the party's, just a change of wallpaper in Downing St and that will always be the same as long as we have a party system, where MP's are not truly representative and have to obey the Party Whip. Perhaps we should all vote for a local independent candidate next election and send the party's a proper message, You never know, we might even end up with better government. Couldn't do any worse than this shower of ****!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

When did the government sell Dover to the French?

over a year ago

"When did the government sell Dover to the French?"

last yr i think

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"When did the government sell Dover to the French?

last yr i think"

Perhaps they could be persuaded to buy Downing Street as well?

over a year ago

"When did the government sell Dover to the French?

last yr i think

Perhaps they could be persuaded to buy Downing Street as well? "

the ministers have shown that they are for sale

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Are we talking about the port of Dover?

It is seeking private finance in order to improve the port, which is the busiest in Europe I believe. They have applied to the government for permission to seek out this finance to make what could be multi billion pound improvements that are much needed.

Is that wrong?

over a year ago

Its been a cataclysmic regime with more money wasted than you could shake a large stick at. What happened to prudence Gordon?

Transport system worse than ever.

Wars that cost way more than just money.

NHS and Education having had enormous ammounts of cash poured in the money pit and for no better results.

Lob in sleeze, cash for questions and Phony Tony and its been a shambles from start to finish.

The country is completely bankrupt.

over a year ago

find me the party that will fight for the working woman/man and that is who i will vote for!

obviously things are different for me im scottish and things have improved slightly up here under the snp government as much as it sticks in my throat to say it!

the pigs at the main trough make the rules to suit the majority. tories it would be look after the rich and fuck the rest of us as they are notorious for it another 4 years of labour i dont know where we would be accordin to current figures there has been a growth in the economy unemployment is down etc but lets face it any of them can be fiddled!!

the current strikes by british airways etc may see a rise in union power and if tories get in i can honestly see more of them as public spending gets cut and more people lose the jobs and conditions they have to suit the capitalists and the rich.

old labour stood for the working man now we need someone to stand for the working man and woman! times have changed society has changed but the main players havent xx

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"Its been a cataclysmic regime with more money wasted than you could shake a large stick at. What happened to prudence Gordon?

NHS and Education having had enormous ammounts of cash poured in the money pit and for no better results.

Lob in sleeze, cash for questions and Phony Tony and its been a shambles from start to finish.

The country is completely bankrupt."

I heard on TV tonight that the Treasury get's £40 billion EVERY YEAR from Road Tax and Alistair Darling has generously given the Councils £100 million of OUR money to fill pot holes. So where's the rest of the £39,900,000,000 gone?

over a year ago

the country is in a terrible mess thats for sure but if ppl think camomooron is gunna sweep it all aside and turn this country around they need to get a reality check.if ppl realy do trust his party and his policies(can someone tell me what they are )why are they not miles ahead in the polls as they should be against this rudderless and shower of sh*t government.the truth is many many ppl remember just how bad the last tory government were and simply dont trust them.i cant see how things are going to get any better after the election

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"the country is in a terrible mess thats for sure but if ppl think camomooron is gunna sweep it all aside and turn this country around they need to get a reality check.if ppl realy do trust his party and his policies(can someone tell me what they are )why are they not miles ahead in the polls as they should be against this rudderless and shower of sh*t government.the truth is many many ppl remember just how bad the last tory government were and simply dont trust them.i cant see how things are going to get any better after the election "

It's sad isn't it? And that's why people don't vote anymore. Get rid of this party system we have.

over a year ago

i can see a lot of ppl staying away from the polling stations becauce trust in the mp's has vanished.lets be honest here did anyone realy trust or believe what our mp's told us before the expenses scandel broke .now we know what the money grabbing two faced liers have been doing all these yrs why would we vote for them.

over a year ago

"

I heard on TV tonight that the Treasury get's £40 billion EVERY YEAR from Road Tax and Alistair Darling has generously given the Councils £100 million of OUR money to fill pot holes. So where's the rest of the £39,900,000,000 gone? "

Believe it or not Vehicle excise duty hasn't been specifically for the roads since 1937 and the "road fund" that people link it with was abolished in 1955.

So just a bit before Gordon and his buddies got involved.

over a year ago

Well I aint getting involved in this

Suffice to say that if that inept bunch of wankers, tossers, liars and control freaks get in again then im off ta Manchester airport and away from this corrupt sad little system for ever xx

over a year ago

"Well I aint getting involved in this

Suffice to say that if that inept bunch of wankers, tossers, liars and control freaks get in again then im off ta Manchester airport and away from this corrupt sad little system for ever xx "

anyone that has the oportunity to move abroad are doing just that in record numbers

over a year ago

"Well I aint getting involved in this

Suffice to say that if that inept bunch of wankers, tossers, liars and control freaks get in again then im off ta Manchester airport and away from this corrupt sad little system for ever xx

anyone that has the oportunity to move abroad are doing just that in record numbers "

Can ya blame em lol xx

over a year ago

It's quite simple, Labour has never understood the value of money. It can, does and has raised money in any way it think it can get away with, new taxes, new rates etc all taking from people who know better on what they need, rather than Labour deciding how your money will be spent.

And it can't be explained here, lolololol

over a year ago

"What has Labour done for me???? Made me a poorer man thats for sure. they've given me a prime minister that no one voted in and the majority of the claims sleaze were labour MP's. OH and gordan Brown giving millions of £'s to Africa when our Public services NHS and education are struggling. I accept that we can't blame the recession on this Government but the way they've handled it is a joke

IMHO

Do you honestly believe you were better off 15 years ago? we've ALL moved on a bit since then, as for the prime minister, its the party you vote for in a general election isn't it? heard all this before, 12 years back, everthing was either being sold off or privatised, poll tax demonstrations, people working for £1.60 per hour, people forget things far to easily, its like groundhog day, watch this space, they are all the same except the name they choose to use. "

You seem to live in a car park, so maybe it was a pay and display 13 years ago and now it's a free one. I can see you would be better off

over a year ago

It doesn't matter which party is in power. Do you really believe that making a vote made any difference they would allow the populace to use it??Well i will be voting Labour again,if the tories get in they will hold another vote and allow the scum to go back out Hunting With Dogs,something i have been waiting years to be banned,it is barbaric,cruel and unnecessary.Now look what you have done talking politics. "

Wow, is that your sole reason for voting for a government?

Are you happy with the current law regarding hunting with dogs?

over a year ago

" yet still we get kids leaving who cant read or write,

I'm pretty sure that a lot of posters here who struggle with basic english left school prior to Labour's education policies. "

I was the result of the Labour government in the 70's

By *edhot4blkCouple
over a year ago

York/London/Crantock

in the yrs since my 18th birthday when i have had the right to vote never have i been certain who to vote for as i firmly feel who ever u vote for will only do the same and screw the country up one way or another, as far as im concerned they are all about the same..

did u know for £10 paid for petrol u only recieve £3 worth of fuel the rest is tax, we are in goa alot and a pkt of benson and hedges there they are 20p for 20 and it says on the pkt ""imported from the uk "" same pkt of 20 in the uk is over £6..need i go on..????

so in fear of myself repeating myself one political party is very much the same as the other...just under a different name..xxxx stella

over a year ago

"When did the government sell Dover to the French?"

It was suggested that the Port of Dover be sold, to help the UK manage it's huge loans it now owns.

Greece was told to consider selling some of it's islands for the same reason.

over a year ago

"Its been a cataclysmic regime with more money wasted than you could shake a large stick at. What happened to prudence Gordon?

The country is completely bankrupt.

I heard on TV tonight that the Treasury get's £40 billion EVERY YEAR from Road Tax and Alistair Darling has generously given the Councils £100 million of OUR money to fill pot holes. So where's the rest of the £39,900,000,000 gone? "

That's socialism.

By *luffybbbWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

"Im aghast at the figures that show how much debt the country has. I cant believe the amount of money that gets wasted over the last 13 years. Billions poured into schools, yet still we get kids leaving who cant read or write, and struggle to hold a conversation that doesn't involve monosylabic grunts.

"

I believe parents are more responsible... surely you want your child to suceed in life. To do that they must have the basic skills, manners, how to use a knife and fork and the ability to communicate.

Or you could just sit them in front of a cumputer game for days on end and leave it to someone else!!!!!!!!!

By *im53Man
over a year ago

Boldon

I agree, but the problem has got so bad across every area of government it's hard to know where to start.

Bring back Cromwell maybe, he had right idea."

duhh didn`t he get rid of the king and set up parliment

over a year ago

Barnstaple

Bring back Cromwell maybe, he had right idea.

duhh didn`t he get rid of the king and set up parliment

"

He also disolved a corrupt government of MP's that were lining their own pockets. History has a funny way of repeating itself.

over a year ago

I believe parents are more responsible... surely you want your child to suceed in life. To do that they must have the basic skills, manners, how to use a knife and fork and the ability to communicate.

Or you could just sit them in front of a cumputer game for days on end and leave it to someone else!!!!!!!!!

"

teenagers do communicate... just them that can understand the grunts etc!!

my mother was convinced when she seen harry enfield series with kevin the teenager that he had met me at some point in my teen years lol!!

teenagers dont want to communicate with adults we are sooooo old!!

the problem lies after teenage years xx

over a year ago

Barnstaple

teenagers do communicate... just them that can understand the grunts etc!!

my mother was convinced when she seen harry enfield series with kevin the teenager that he had met me at some point in my teen years lol!!

teenagers dont want to communicate with adults we are sooooo old!!

the problem lies after teenage years xx"

Lol, very true, I'm sure we were all the same and most of us came out of it all right. I think it's mostly a pier pressure thing, as soon as they start mixing with adults in work, they soon change.

over a year ago

"You seem to live in a car park, so maybe it was a pay and display 13 years ago and now it's a free one. I can see you would be better off"

Nope just a realist me, if you were paying for sky HD, mobile phone contracts, private healthcare, internet connection just to name a few, 15 years ago, you would have less money back then also, what you also have to remember is that Thatcher would have been happy to have a mass cull in Scotland, it was ridden with poverty and has steadily grew since, you’re not in Scotland though, so out of sight out of mind, but out of curiosity though, are you saying if labour never got in back then we would all be rich? And wouldn’t be having this discussion, bearing in mind they were famous from taking from the poor to feed the rich, not defending labour, simply stating there all as bad as each other, its time everyone seen this and voted other parties. Someone said earlier, change is good, I agree, but we never get change, it’s always a two horse race with one or the other.

over a year ago

"You seem to live in a car park, so maybe it was a pay and display 13 years ago and now it's a free one. I can see you would be better off

Nope just a realist me, if you were paying for sky HD, mobile phone contracts, private healthcare, internet connection just to name a few, 15 years ago, you would have less money back then also, what you also have to remember is that Thatcher would have been happy to have a mass cull in Scotland, it was ridden with poverty and has steadily grew since, you’re not in Scotland though, so out of sight out of mind, but out of curiosity though, are you saying if labour never got in back then we would all be rich? And wouldn’t be having this discussion, bearing in mind they were famous from taking from the poor to feed the rich, not defending labour, simply stating there all as bad as each other, its time everyone seen this and voted other parties. Someone said earlier, change is good, I agree, but we never get change, it’s always a two horse race with one or the other. "

agree!! thatchers legacy lives on in scotland and you just need to look out the window to see it whether you live in the country or the city xx

over a year ago

Barnstaple

"You seem to live in a car park, so maybe it was a pay and display 13 years ago and now it's a free one. I can see you would be better off

Nope just a realist me, if you were paying for sky HD, mobile phone contracts, private healthcare, internet connection just to name a few, 15 years ago, you would have less money back then also, what you also have to remember is that Thatcher would have been happy to have a mass cull in Scotland, it was ridden with poverty and has steadily grew since, you’re not in Scotland though, so out of sight out of mind, but out of curiosity though, are you saying if labour never got in back then we would all be rich? And wouldn’t be having this discussion, bearing in mind they were famous from taking from the poor to feed the rich, not defending labour, simply stating there all as bad as each other, its time everyone seen this and voted other parties. Someone said earlier, change is good, I agree, but we never get change, it’s always a two horse race with one or the other.

agree!! thatchers legacy lives on in scotland and you just need to look out the window to see it whether you live in the country or the city xx"

Is it doing any worse than many other parts of the United Kingdom then - serious question?

over a year ago

agree!! thatchers legacy lives on in scotland and you just need to look out the window to see it whether you live in the country or the city xx

Is it doing any worse than many other parts of the United Kingdom then - serious question?"

i dont know as im never really in any other parts so i can only comment on what i know x

over a year ago

Barnstaple

Is it doing any worse than many other parts of the United Kingdom then - serious question?

i dont know as im never really in any other parts so i can only comment on what i know x"

In some respects you're luckier, you got free further education for instance paid for by the UK tax payer and yet as I understand it, English, Welsh and Northern Irish people can't go across to Scotland and benefit from it.

over a year ago

there was is apost saying it was not lack of education but bad parenting!

Labour have been in power for 12 years Brown just before the recesion said "British Banks lead the world" "Globalistion has been a massive success " Yes lead the world into recesion and yes a global recession

It is mornic to still be harpin on about Thatcher 18 years on when she did leave UK (including Scotland)finances in a very good state!

As for consumer goods available it has nothing to do with the performance of a goverment it, is so called progress

over a year ago

"there was is apost saying it was not lack of education but bad parenting!

Labour have been in power for 12 years Brown just before the recesion said "British Banks lead the world" "Globalistion has been a massive success " Yes lead the world into recesion and yes a global recession

It is mornic to still be harpin on about Thatcher 18 years on when she did leave UK (including Scotland)finances in a very good state!

As for consumer goods available it has nothing to do with the performance of a goverment it, is so called progress "

Where is this post you mention? the post you mention states if children cannot read or write the parents should take some responsibilty, so why twist it around to say something else.

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

What most people fail to see is that no matter which Political Party is the Government they are all basically the same i.e. they all think they know better than the rest of us and want to tell us how we can or, more often, can’t live our own lives! Every Politician seeking election believes that they have better ideas than anyone else and seeks the power to be able to put their ideas into practice.

Keeping one Party in power for longer than one 4/5 year period lets them think we are agreeing with what they are saying/doing and they get complacent and things start to stay the same. So using your vote to elect the Opposition in will bring about some changes anyway and for the 4/5 years they are in power they will at least try to make things better than they are currently, and so the cycle will continue.

Right that’s enough Politics for me anyway, let’s get back to having some fun!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/03/10 14:01:30]

over a year ago

"

"

Thats a popular myth but the facts say diff.

national debt as a percentage of the gross domestic product

looks to me more like they were worse after Thatcher than any other time until the recession

1997 49,8 % of GDP

1998 46,7 % of GDP

1999 43,7 % of GDP

2000 41,0 % of GDP

2001 37,7 % of GDP

2002 37,5 % of GDP

2003 38,7 % of GDP

2004 40,4 % of GDP

2005 42,3 % of GDP

2006 43,4 % of GDP

2007 44,2 % of GDP

2008 52,0 % of GDP

over a year ago

i dont know as im never really in any other parts so i can only comment on what i know x

In some respects you're luckier, you got free further education for instance paid for by the UK tax payer and yet as I understand it, English, Welsh and Northern Irish people can't go across to Scotland and benefit from it."

ah its looks free but its not! im a full time uni student and my tutuion fees are paid which is 1800 then student loans which are paid back with interest.

it used to be grants until mrs thatcher decided too many of the great unwashed were gettin too clever!!

we are a devolved government who pays x amount to westminster.

and before the fires start burnin i dont believe that full independence would do any good for scotland xx

over a year ago

"there was is apost saying it was not lack of education but bad parenting!

As for consumer goods available it has nothing to do with the performance of a goverment it, is so called progress "

yeah she left scotland and the rest of britain the land of milk and honey thats why all these years down the line we all drivin about in limos with caviar and champagne on tap!!

north sea oil that was a great investment the money that came for it could have been better spent like what i think it was scandanavia did but nooo!

as was puttin thousands on the dole the very thing her and her cohorts despised!! TINA! there is no alternative x

over a year ago

Barnstaple

In some respects you're luckier, you got free further education for instance paid for by the UK tax payer and yet as I understand it, English, Welsh and Northern Irish people can't go across to Scotland and benefit from it.

ah its looks free but its not! im a full time uni student and my tutuion fees are paid which is 1800 then student loans which are paid back with interest.

it used to be grants until mrs thatcher decided too many of the great unwashed were gettin too clever!!

we are a devolved government who pays x amount to westminster.

and before the fires start burnin i dont believe that full independence would do any good for scotland xx"

It still sounds like you're better off now, but I think there is more money going up North, than there is going down south. So why would you want independence?

over a year ago

Barnstaple

Btw, I think further education should be FREE, OVER THE WHOLE OF THE UK.

over a year ago

from the figures iv seen there no actually that much of a difference financially.

i dont know why they want it as im not really an snp supporter and dont think full independence would do scotland any favours to be honest.

but we do seem to be better off with some aspects in scotland such as the abolition of prescription charges free eyetests free personal care for the elderly etc but we have this because people stood up for it as did the welsh assembly!

the problem appears to be no one wants to stand and be counted but will willingly moan and whinge about it but dont want to be part of the solution or change xx

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"

Isn't there a thread knocking about where people are stating how well their kids are doing? Straight 'A' students?

over a year ago

yes and the teacher has asked the parents not to help their own kids anymore, as they are too far ahead.

That what they said...

over a year ago

Some of you are being ridiculous . When did I say Thatcher Left us in the land of milk an honey ! very good financial position me thinks! Yes North Sea oil has played a major part in keeping this nation afloat and in the main has been squandered , but Thatcher cannot be blamed for todays woes .

On education the people with kids now have been brought up by a nanny state a lot ,not all ,ill educated themselves .

Risky frisky what ever your name is your nit pickin cause you know your talkin .................k's

over a year ago

Susie Babe When Thatcher came to power the country was near to bankrupt The "silverware" so to speak was sold as a last resort to avoid more debt! When labour took office it was the !st time since the !before the 1st world war that power had been handed to opposition with uk finances in a half decent state !

My oppinion 's your all entitled 2 yours

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"Here's an interesting article on the history of the UK Economy:

-------------------

UK Economic History

The UK was once the largest economy in the world. At its peak during the nineteenth century it ran the British Empire - and one quarter of the world. Its global mercantile system transported people, resources and capital, generating vast profits for the Empire.

Since the end of World War II the UK has been weakened by the costs of war, the end of the Empire and the Republic of Ireland leaving the United Kingdom.

In recent times, there have been two periods of strong economic performance. The first resulted from the Prime Ministership of Margaret Thatcher, who famously broke the unions and ushered in free market reforms that helped the UK to shed its ‘Sick Man of Europe’ mantle.

The second came about when the ‘New Labour’ government came to power in 1997, with Gordon Brown serving as both Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown and later Prime Minister, inheriting and expanding a period of continuous economic growth from 1992 to 2007.

~

UK Economy 2001-2007

The UK experienced a double bubble in both housing and the stock markets from 2001 - 2007.

Credit was cheap and easy, regulation lax and rules broken. Fuelled by mortgages of up to 125 per cent, house prices tripled in some areas during that period and the London Stock Exchange (LSE) reached record highs.

Home prices peaked in the third quarter of 2007 and the long decline set in. Unable to get wholesale funding UK bank Northern Rock was forced to turn to the Bank of England as lender of last resort in September 2007. This led to the first run on a British bank in generations, and forced the government eventually to nationalise the bank.

~

UK Economy 2008

Northern Rock did not mark the end of the British government’s involvement in the financial sector.

It was forced to nationalise Bradford & Bingley, help Alliance & Leicester and HBOS get bought, and provide capital, funding and underwriting worth more than 400 billion GBP to both over-leveraged giants like RBS and Lloyds TSB, and relatively stronger groups like Barclays, HSBC and Standard Chartered.

By Q2 2008 the UK was officially in recession and Sterling had dropped more than 30 per cent against the other main currencies.

With consumer confidence dropping and unemployment rising, the auto and retail sector were the next victims of recession. Household names in the High St including Woolworths, Zavvi (the former Virgin Megastores), MFI, Adams and Waterfords Wedgewood went into receivership by Christmas 2008.

~

UK Economy 2009

The British economy in 2009 was declining at an even quicker rate than originally suspected.

All sectors of the UK economy seem to be struggling, with consumer confidence, the housing market, employment and manufacturing either at the lowest point, or dropping faster than ever previously recorded.

Seeking to overcome blame for the recession and the fall out from his previous statements that he had tamed the ‘Boom and Bust’ cycle, Prime Minster Gordon Brown announced a major economic stimulus package. It will add to already high debt levels above 40 per cent of GDP, leading to speculation that Britain’s sovereign debt ratings would be downgraded and to further slides int eh value of sterling.

By the end of 2009, the UK economy is expected to have contracted 3.2 per cent (although some economists are revising that figure further downwards), with UK public debt rising to a staggering 70 per cent.

~

UK Economy 2010 Forecast

Forecasting in the midst of such economic uncertainty and financial upheaval is, to put it mildly, a challenge.

The consensus for 2010 has now shifted to flat to negative growth. Forecasts range from 0 per cent to -5 per cent growth, with the median in the -1 to -2 per cent range, although most economists state that major downside risks remain.

The Bank of England Interest Rate, Inflation and the three month Treasury rate are expected to stay low at under 1 per cent, under 1 per cent and 1.3 per cent respectively.

The budget balance is forecast to grow dangerously to -13 per cent of GDP, which would take UK national public debt above 70 per cent of GDP.

"

can you explain in more detail pls

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

lmao

over a year ago

"Risky frisky what ever your name is your nit pickin cause you know your talkin .................k's"

My original post

"

You're original post

It's clear to me who's talking what, so ill ask again, who said most parents are bad? you're clearly reading something that has never been written, and keep mentioning it on every post you've made.

Life's too short,

Have fun, have to go, have a weekend to enjoy!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/03/10 17:28:01]

over a year ago

"uk finances in a half decent state !"

As you say opinions differ. All I did was quoute figures and they said the finances were far from decent considering as you say the amount of silverware sold off.

National debt is nothing new the UK was built on it, as a matter of of trivia in the height of the Empire around 1816 it was 237 % of GDP.

A little history of debt an public spending is here http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/debt_brief.php

It might be "an inconvenient truth* for some.

I've got no party affiliations and that helps me look at figures not rhetoric. Blaming the goverment is a human trait.

over a year ago

we all entitled to an opinion whether some like it or not!

personally iv found it a very interesting thread as i am in the middle of doing an economics essay so a few of you may be able to help me!

each new government is handed the previous governments problems.

we had recessions in the 30s, early 80's and 90;s and early 2000 and now we in one again.

personally i could blame thatcherism on everythin from grey hair to shoogly bones and guess what!! thats MY opinion!! x

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

[Removed by poster at 26/03/10 20:04:32]

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Rushden

Sorry, gotta say this...Bit of a donkey statement, that! I can't believe that you are so blinkered, you would elect a government on that one issue alone!

I love wildlife and hate foxhunting, but there is a bigger picture here. So make your choice, save foxes or save the young an old?

over a year ago

Barnstaple

Who said people aren't interested in politics any more??? What a great thread.

over a year ago

It doesn't matter which party is in power. Do you really believe that making a vote made any difference they would allow the populace to use it??Well i will be voting Labour again,if the tories get in they will hold another vote and allow the scum to go back out Hunting With Dogs,something i have been waiting years to be banned,it is barbaric,cruel and unnecessary.Now look what you have done talking politics.

Sorry, gotta say this...Bit of a donkey statement, that! I can't believe that you are so blinkered, you would elect a government on that one issue alone!

I love wildlife and hate foxhunting, but there is a bigger picture here. So make your choice, save foxes or save the young an old? "

sorry i was just stating that if the tories get in then they will definately bring back Hunting With Dogs.Of course i am interested in the NHS,schools,pensions etc.Whether my attitude is wrong i dont know but i put all creatures on the same par with humans.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The Tories cannot just bring back hunting with dogs, you can't just abolish an act of Parliament...

What the Tories have promised is a free vote amongst their MP's on the subject of foxhunting as they attempt to overturn the present law with an admendment.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Some of you are being ridiculous . When did I say Thatcher Left us in the land of milk an honey ! very good financial position me thinks! Yes North Sea oil has played a major part in keeping this nation afloat and in the main has been squandered , but Thatcher cannot be blamed for todays woes .

On education the people with kids now have been brought up by a nanny state a lot ,not all ,ill educated themselves .

Risky frisky what ever your name is your nit pickin cause you know your talkin .................k's"

The only reason Thatcher left the economy in a half decent state is because the receipts of the sweeping privatisation of our industries and Nationalised Utilities were absolutely massive, as were the better years of North Sea Oil and North Sea Gas.

What also helped Thatcher was the ability she gave herself to manipulate interest rates for her own needs.

I believe the main reasons for our current financial woes, apart from the world wide recession, are New Labours attempts to keep the NHS afloat with ridiculous sums of money being thrown at it....along with their ridiculous target on having 50% of young people attend Univerity, far too many people out there with pointless degrees that they will never get to use.

over a year ago

"The Tories cannot just bring back hunting with dogs, you can't just abolish an act of Parliament...

What the Tories have promised is a free vote amongst their MP's on the subject of foxhunting as they attempt to overturn the present law with an admendment."

well seeing most tory mps are your typical upper class and openly admit to supporting fox hunting it is a forgone conclusion that they will overturn the bill

over a year ago

"Some of you are being ridiculous . When did I say Thatcher Left us in the land of milk an honey ! very good financial position me thinks! Yes North Sea oil has played a major part in keeping this nation afloat and in the main has been squandered , but Thatcher cannot be blamed for todays woes .

Risky frisky what ever your name is your nit pickin cause you know your talkin .................k's

The only reason Thatcher left the economy in a half decent state is because the receipts of the sweeping privatisation of our industries and Nationalised Utilities were absolutely massive, as were the better years of North Sea Oil and North Sea Gas.

What also helped Thatcher was the ability she gave herself to manipulate interest rates for her own needs.

I believe the main reasons for our current financial woes, apart from the world wide recession, are New Labours attempts to keep the NHS afloat with ridiculous sums of money being thrown at it....along with their ridiculous target on having 50% of young people attend Univerity, far too many people out there with pointless degrees that they will never get to use.

"

some kids are never designed for uni and the money would be better spent learning them a trade such as electrician or plumbers.

i have a sister with an honours accountancy degree and cant get a job she either over qualified or they want her to work on minimum wage.

a cousin with an arts degree she working in a dvd rental shop.

a nephew on a youth employment scheme learning car mechanics and making a bomb doin home jobs for people who cant afford garage fees. xx

Post new Message to Thread