Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bad grammar and spelling.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is it just me that finds this to be a turn off on profiles?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

No, if you do a forum search for the same subject, there will be quite emotive answers.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's just you, you're the only one

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"It's just you, you're the only one "

Where's your full stop?

over a year ago

"It's just you, you're the only one

Where's your full stop? "

On:my"keyboard@;/?!(@ somewhere ... There it is .

over a year ago

I hate it too!.

over a year ago

Yeah wateva!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Nah not really. People are more than their ability to spell or construct sentences and paragraphs correctly.

over a year ago

I think your being judge mental;* somme people reely straggle with there speeling and gramma and us that cannwe shuld not get so wind up abou tit,

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Nah not really. People are more than their ability to spell or construct sentences and paragraphs correctly. "

If that's the case, why do so many people choose not to?

over a year ago

It's the battle of typing on a mobile phone keypad, makes for all sorts of mistyped words. No excuse for grammar, although I suspect few know what an auxiliary model is and whether we should, could or would use them appropriately.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Nah not really. People are more than their ability to spell or construct sentences and paragraphs correctly.

If that's the case, why do so many people choose not to?"

Chose not to what?

By *olly_1983TV/TS
over a year ago

there

Correctly written text is somewhat essential. For example the exclusion of a comma from a sentence can lead to all kinds of misunderstanding:

"A few of my interests are; to fuck, kangaroos, etc"

Omit the puntuation and it reads:

"A few of my interests are to fuck kangaroos etc"

It's plain to see how this can be an off put when reading messages.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Nah not really. People are more than their ability to spell or construct sentences and paragraphs correctly.

Chose not to what? "

This is funny

over a year ago

Does the ability to use correct Grammer and punctuation at all times make for a more interesting person i wonder ?

We prefer to look for people with similar interests who can hold a conversation and have a sense of Humour.

But each to their own.

Gary

over a year ago

It's as valid a preference as any other.

Just like the people who say no *insert ethnicity/sexuality/trait/circumcision status* it's our preference.

You're equally entitled to say you prefer not to swing with people who can't spell or write properly

over a year ago

"It's as valid a preference as any other.

Just like the people who say no *insert ethnicity/sexuality/trait/circumcision status* it's our preference.

You're equally entitled to say you prefer not to swing with people who can't spell or write properly"

over a year ago

"Correctly written text is somewhat essential. For example the exclusion of a comma from a sentence can lead to all kinds of misunderstanding:

It's plain to see how this can be an off put when reading messages."

Off putting? ..........Don't knock it untill you've tried it!!

Possums are good too - but very good climbers, unfortunately!

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

"Correctly written text is somewhat essential. For example the exclusion of a comma from a sentence can lead to all kinds of misunderstanding:

It's plain to see how this can be an off put when reading messages."

Extremely well put! It's clear that there are those who are pedantic about grammar and spelling, which is rightly what people are arguing against. However there is a point where clarity is important.

Text speak has its place but shows a lazy attitude to communication when trying to convey ideas and opinions. Spelling may occasionally confuse but some semblance of sentence structure and some punctuation indicates an adult mind capable of mature interactions.

I know people say it doesn't matter as long as you get your message across. And it's your problem if you don't understand what's being said. Really? And what if the message was written in German? Is it then your problem for not being able to speak German?

By *eepsouthCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Is it just me that finds this to be a turn off on profiles? "

Don't forget we are not all English on here. How many languages do you speak?

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

I think as long as the person writing is understood, it don't make too much difference to us.. Is actually the contents of what they are saying, rather than the way they portray it! I am crap at spelling, and often write exactly how i speak! ... Aint never no probs for me/us....

over a year ago

Men who can't spell should be banned from Fab.

More women for me

over a year ago

I think using correct English indicates a level of intelligence and some might find it useful to establish whether or not a new contact could be their type. I confess to - but don't apologise for - being very sniffy about it. Having said that , I have had great times with appalling spellers and text speakers !

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I think it's more useful than not to be able to spell and structure a sentence, but it's not essential

over a year ago

"I think it's more useful than not to be able to spell and structure a sentence, but it's not essential "

over a year ago

It's Christmas, give everybody a break ffs

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

doesn't bother me

over a year ago

I'm not looking for an english tutor for my kids !! So no as long as we have some fun chats and we understand what each other are trying to say ! Then its all good !!! And my spelling is bloody atrocious !!!!! So would be a tad hypocritical to complain ..... Get more pissed of if they don't get my sarky jokes

over a year ago

"I think using correct English indicates a level of intelligence and some might find it useful to establish whether or not a new contact could be their type. I confess to - but don't apologise for - being very sniffy about it. Having said that , I have had great times with appalling spellers and text speakers ! "
I have Dyslexia and yes had all the tests and 3 of my four children have this very very intelligence doing well in life . Now a lot of very famous people have this who have done very well in life like Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, Richard Branson theres 1000s who have done so well. Dyslexia manifests primarily as a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading and spelling.

Although dyslexia is the result of a neurological difference, it is not an intellectual disability. Dyslexia occurs at all levels of intelligence, average, above average, and highly gifted. So not everyone who find it hard to spell are thick . And some may not have been as lucky as me to get the tests done if age over 30 here .

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I think the question people need to ask is if they had a badly spelt message that they had to decipher from someone who is HOT, would they turn them down because the message was a bit rum?

I wouldn't.

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"I think the question people need to ask is if they had a badly spelt message that they had to decipher from someone who is HOT, would they turn them down because the message was a bit rum?

I wouldn't. "

By *unknSoulCouple
over a year ago

Dumfriesish see

And there's me thinking this is a site for swingers and putting some fun in our life. Well im off to join a proper english spelling forum and have a rant about how shite alot of them are at being swingers. Hope they dont think im being trivial.

over a year ago

This is a thread to strut around like a peacock of grammar. Language evolves and many words that were seen as slang or Incorrect spellings have been added to the dictionary. lets face it we have an unequal society and with variations in the quality of education, you obviously get a range of results. At some schools if you want to learn you get punched in the head at others the social pressure is to learn. In addition the main aim at some schools is just to get passes and not fail! Others the goal is to break the A* record.

We won't actually need to spell soon as autocorrect will be perfected.. We won't even need to think once computers are integrated into our brains. Natural intelligence will become more irrelevant as we transition to biological computers.

Google's glasses are the start, it's happening now.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Extremely well put! It's clear that there are those who are pedantic about grammar and spelling, which is rightly what people are arguing against. However there is a point where clarity is important.

Text speak has its place but shows a lazy attitude to communication when trying to convey ideas and opinions. Spelling may occasionally confuse but some semblance of sentence structure and some punctuation indicates an adult mind capable of mature interactions.

I know people say it doesn't matter as long as you get your message across. And it's your problem if you don't understand what's being said. Really? And what if the message was written in German? Is it then your problem for not being able to speak German?"

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

over a year ago

No and I'm certain many more people would be turned off by your avatar pic,than any spelling mistakes mate.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

does my head in when I see, 'bcos' or 'ur' on a 24 yr olds profile. They are stood there looking tight as can be, but you're sat there thinking - she's gonna be one dull fucking meet.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Sorry, bad grammar doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Our six year old is being taught good grammar, so it's not an intelligence thing, well that is unless you have an I.Q. less then a six year old

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"Sorry, bad grammar doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Our six year old is being taught good grammar, so it's not an intelligence thing, well that is unless you have an I.Q. less then a six year old "

This is meant with tongue firmly placed.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"This is a thread to strut around like a peacock of grammar. Language evolves and many words that were seen as slang or Incorrect spellings have been added to the dictionary. lets face it we have an unequal society and with variations in the quality of education, you obviously get a range of results. At some schools if you want to learn you get punched in the head at others the social pressure is to learn. In addition the main aim at some schools is just to get passes and not fail! Others the goal is to break the A* record.

We won't actually need to spell soon as autocorrect will be perfected.. We won't even need to think once computers are integrated into our brains. Natural intelligence will become more irrelevant as we transition to biological computers.

Google's glasses are the start, it's happening now. "

I find that rather sad.

By *rincessKinkyWoman
over a year ago

Basildon

I find text speak a complete turn off. For me attraction starts in the mind, so a badly written message is a major turn off! I love the written word so to see it butchered does make me sad!

However I understand that some struggle with spelling etc. If I can see that some effort has been made then thats fair enough.

over a year ago

"This is a thread to strut around like a peacock of grammar. Language evolves and many words that were seen as slang or Incorrect spellings have been added to the dictionary. lets face it we have an unequal society and with variations in the quality of education, you obviously get a range of results. At some schools if you want to learn you get punched in the head at others the social pressure is to learn. In addition the main aim at some schools is just to get passes and not fail! Others the goal is to break the A* record.

Google's glasses are the start, it's happening now.

I find that rather sad.

"

Me too! I hate autocorrect, it stops anyone trying to spell ! But hey you can't stop progress apparently.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I find text speak a complete turn off. For me attraction starts in the mind, so a badly written message is a major turn off! I love the written word so to see it butchered does make me sad!

However I understand that some struggle with spelling etc. If I can see that some effort has been made then thats fair enough."

Yes.

It's the 'Can't be bothered' attitude that is the biggest turn-off for me. What else can't you be bothered to do?

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"Does the ability to use correct Grammer and punctuation at all times make for a more interesting person i wonder ?

We prefer to look for people with similar interests who can hold a conversation and have a sense of Humour.

But each to their own.

Gary"

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"I find text speak a complete turn off. For me attraction starts in the mind, so a badly written message is a major turn off! I love the written word so to see it butchered does make me sad!

However I understand that some struggle with spelling etc. If I can see that some effort has been made then thats fair enough.

Yes.

It's the 'Can't be bothered' attitude that is the biggest turn-off for me. What else can't you be bothered to do?"

Laziness is not a good bedfellow - so to speak.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Chose not to what? "

..... finish a sentence.

over a year ago

It is just you, your speshall.

its a sex site in syber space, not sunday skool.

By *anyoufeelmeMan
over a year ago

near you

personally i focus on how people look and behave before their ability to spell

i have a very attractive Spanish lady friend who fucks like a rabbit and sucks cock better than a Dyson …

Her English spelling is apualing but wow what a lover !

over a year ago

Does that mean you won't meet a woman who has bad English and grammar, or will you make an exception if you get your end away

Just curious

over a year ago

Are you seeriusli saying yu wood turn down a fick bi paw spilling?

over a year ago

If you can tell by reading the profile that the person probably genuinely struggles a little, then no. But when it just appears as lazy, then yes.

We can't all be good at everything. My son struggles a little with reading and writing, but can turn his hand to so many other things, with skill that amazes me. Winston Churchill was dyslexic and he won the Nobel prize for literature !

over a year ago

"It's Christmas, give everybody a break ffs

"

And?

I will not adjust my standards due to a couple of public holidays.

It's easy to make a typo error but using the wrong word or not knowing that there is an alternative.... Instant delete.

That's my choice.

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

For me, pronunciation has never been my forty

over a year ago

Some think if a high IQ can spell without a mistake it makes them super intelligent. Well I hate to tell them its only part of what makes a person being intelligent . You learn until you go to the grave. No one know it all and no one is perfect and some are better at other things People are different and a intelligent person should know that .

over a year ago

" Some think if a high IQ can spell without a mistake it makes them super intelligent. Well I hate to tell them its only part of what makes a person being intelligent . You learn until you go to the grave. No one know it all and no one is perfect and some are better at other things People are different and a intelligent person should know that ."

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Is it just me that finds this to be a turn off on profiles?

Don't forget we are not all English on here. How many languages do you speak? "

The first message I sent in reply to the man I'm seeing now was along the lines, hold on, I'm feeling faint, I'm not used to messages in English with punctuation and no text speak!

The irony is English is not his first language, he's Dutch.

I don't like text speak or messages littered with lol, pmsl etc. I don't make a fuss about it I use it as another filter. Drawing attention to it is as off putting as those complaining about "professionals!"

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Not wishing to be overly pedantic, but don't you mean "Is it just me who ..", not ".. that .."?

over a year ago

If it's interesting and understandable I'm happy.

Although I enjoy watching some attempt to pick holes in nets. They don't look so bright as they hope they might.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"If it's interesting and understandable I'm happy.

Although I enjoy watching some attempt to pick holes in nets. They don't look so bright as they hope they might."

By *eepsouthCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Not wishing to be overly pedantic, but don't you mean "Is it just me who ..", not ".. that .."?

"

Loved that reply, suck that

over a year ago

You know, up until 11 years old i believed my maternal grandma was an evil witch.

Then she bought me a bike.

By *errynjuneCouple
over a year ago

Barnsley

Yeah, my grammar not bad either, it is just nobody understands her anymore. x

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

I know people say it doesn't matter as long as you get your message across. And it's your problem if you don't understand what's being said. Really? And what if the message was written in German? Is it then your problem for not being able to speak German?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

"

By *lack_BoltMan
over a year ago

oxford

Yes.

It's the 'Can't be bothered' attitude that is the biggest turn-off for me. What else can't you be bothered to do?"

Agreed!

over a year ago

I'm good with spelling and grammar but have made mistakes on phone keypad before so I'm not perfect, sometimes it's cute if a guy has made a cock-up

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"

Drawing attention to it is as off putting as those complaining about "professionals!""

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

I like to see good use of language but I'm not pedantic about it. An imaginative mind and the right choice of words can result in a very erotic build up to a meet.

I really don't like text speak, its fine for texting but not if you really want to communicate effectively in my opinion.

over a year ago

Doesnt put me off as such, but theres lots of people who cant spell nowadays.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

hoo jives a fuk

By *eeriseWoman
over a year ago

Manchester and that's all you need to know

Ditto

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hey, my fellow grammatical perfectionist.

I'm in Spinningfields, where are you? X

over a year ago

"

is it a turn off ,

over a year ago

Correct if am wrong can't recall being taught how to write using a penis or vagina ha he ho ho xx

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

is it a turn off , "

I'd always make an exception for you Jo

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

i had a bad grammar ... she couldnt spell

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

I find,the hotter you are,the less important your grammar,and spelling become.

( )

over a year ago

"I find,the hotter you are,the less important your grammar,and spelling become.

( )"

Found the opposite to be honest!

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

this old chestnut again!!

over a year ago

No not me why do you fuck someone who sends you a perfect application? Ugly people are a turn off and assholes.

over a year ago

I find some assholes a turn on. Depends where they are.

over a year ago

Maybe you need to get out more .

over a year ago

No I do too!

over a year ago

Grammar, the difference between knowing you're shit and knowing your shit.

over a year ago

The only ones that put me off are the ones that I can't read properly or the content consists of only a couple of lines. But not everyone is good at grammar, like mr notts. I'm definately not a " well you can't spell that right or punctuate properly so sod off" critique

Post new Message to Thread