Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Changing thermostatic shower cartridge

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The one on my shower panel has packed up, and have ordered one with the aim to change it myself.

Managed to take down the panel last night and had a good look, and discovered the importance of turning off the water supply prior to doing any work on it.

Need to get the right tools like a suitable size spanner and screw driver, clips for the hoses etc.

It does not look too difficult to take out the temperature and flow assembly, just need to dismantle the faucet and flow regulator in the front.

I shall remember to cover the waste outlet to prevent the nuts and screws from being lost.

I believe I have it all covered, based on my research using the web last night.

Until it is fixed next Wednesday, it will be lukewarm hair washing using the hand held shower spray, and clothe-washing using the sink or bidet.

Wish me luck with my DIY attempt, and any advice from residence plumber will be much appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"The one on my shower panel has packed up, and have ordered one with the aim to change it myself.

Managed to take down the panel last night and had a good look, and discovered the importance of turning off the water supply prior to doing any work on it.

Need to get the right tools like a suitable size spanner and screw driver, clips for the hoses etc.

It does not look too difficult to take out the temperature and flow assembly, just need to dismantle the faucet and flow regulator in the front.

I shall remember to cover the waste outlet to prevent the nuts and screws from being lost.

Until it is fixed next Wednesday, it will be lukewarm hair washing using the hand held shower spray, and clothe-washing using the sink or bidet.

Wish me luck with my DIY attempt, and any advice from residence plumber will be much appreciated.

"

Good for you and good-luck.......

over a year ago

Remember to disconnect from the mains.

over a year ago

Thanks Soxy, and the need to disconnect from the water supplies is already on the list as the first thing to do after taking down the panel.

over a year ago

"The one on my shower panel has packed up, and have ordered one with the aim to change it myself.

"

Just got a semi reading all that technical stuff from a lady

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

"Thanks Soxy, and the need to disconnect from the water supplies is already on the list as the first thing to do after taking down the panel. "

Are you sure there isn't a valve allowing you to isolote the supply?

Generally looks like a screw thread with is on the mains pipe feed and is purely a half turn to switch off - sorry best way i can think of trying to describe it.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

put a plug in the plughole so if you do drop a screw it won't get lost .. and put an old towel on the tray or bath so you don't scratch it

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

[Removed by poster at 15/12/13 10:47:16]

By *igjob01Man
over a year ago

near newtownards

Some shower manufactures require a special tool( no I'm not being funny) to remove the cartridge so be careful but good luck.

over a year ago

"Thanks Soxy, and the need to disconnect from the water supplies is already on the list as the first thing to do after taking down the panel.

Generally looks like a screw thread with is on the mains pipe feed and is purely a half turn to switch off - sorry best way i can think of trying to describe it."

Not a single valve, but a screw on each of the hot and cold inlet.

I can always turn off the inlet to the entire house by shutting off the supply using the stop cock under the kitchen sink.

over a year ago

"put a plug in the plughole so if you do drop a screw it won't get lost .. and put an old towel on the tray or bath so you don't scratch it "

Already considered covering the waste grill.

Nothing to scratch as it is a wet room and tiled. I shall be standing with my back to the glass panel, like I did when I took the shower panel down to have a look.

Thanks for the advice though.

over a year ago

"Some shower manufactures require a special tool( no I'm not being funny) to remove the cartridge so be careful but good luck."

I have contacted the manufacturer for advice, however, I cannot see any special tool being required, as the temperature and flow assembly is a sealed unit.

Just need to dismantle the faucet and the thermostatic control in the front of the panel, unclip/unscrew the hoses that are attached to assembly in order to take it out.

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

"Thanks Soxy, and the need to disconnect from the water supplies is already on the list as the first thing to do after taking down the panel.

Generally looks like a screw thread with is on the mains pipe feed and is purely a half turn to switch off - sorry best way i can think of trying to describe it.

Not a single valve, but a screw on each of the hot and cold inlet.

I can always turn off the inlet to the entire house by shutting off the supply using the stop cock under the kitchen sink.

"

0nly dabbled a little with a shower but i found that the valves are sufficient Pearl on both to isolate the water supply.

I looked on a certain well known site for DIY videos - not sure if i am allowed to mention it but there is a good tutorial and all he used was a standard opened ended wrench.

You seem well prepared good luck and let us all know how you get on.

over a year ago

The replacement part is:

Hudson Reed A398 Temperature and Flow Assembly

Google it and one should be able to see what it looks like.

3 hoses to attach. One is plastic for the water once mixed, and needs to be tightened using a hose grip; the other two are connect to the hot and cold inlets using flexible metal hoses, and I need to buy the right size wrench for it, as the one I use for my bike maintenance is too small.

I struggled to dismantle the thermostatic control until I watched some vids on the net for similar issues, and managed to find the concealed screw that was holding the housing in place. So the WWW did help!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"...........

"

I'm not a plumber but I like to take things apart.

I now take photographs of each stage of the dismantling. Makes it easier to put things back together.

Good luck.

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

"The replacement part is:

Hudson Reed A398 Temperature and Flow Assembly

Google it and one should be able to see what it looks like.

3 hoses to attach. One is plastic for the water once mixed, and needs to be tightened using a hose grip; the other two are connect to the hot and cold inlets using flexible metal hoses, and I need to buy the right size wrench for it, as the one I use for my bike maintenance is too small.

I struggled to dismantle the thermostatic control until I watched some vids on the net for similar issues, and managed to find the concealed screw that was holding the housing in place. So the WWW did help!

"

You could always get an adjustable wrench i'm certain they still make them.

If i lived closer would let you borrow mine

over a year ago

"

"

I'll be getting an adjustable spanner of the appropriate size, yes.

By *ercedes62Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

"

I'll be getting an adjustable spanner of the appropriate size, yes.

"

Perfect if not a rather nice plumber to assist

By *igjob01Man
over a year ago

near newtownards

Sounds like you have done the homework and know what your doing ok good luck .

By *atelotmanMan
over a year ago

Chatham

Have spoken to my brother-inlaw who`s a plumber of 37 yrs and he`s says you seem to know you have made sure of what to do ok,ie water off,electric off and all the right tools.So just take your time an every things should go well.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/12/13 12:02:06]

over a year ago

"Have spoken to my brother-inlaw who`s a plumber of 37 yrs and he`s says you seem to know you have made sure of what to do ok,ie water off,electric off and all the right tools.So just take your time an every things should go well."

Thanks for checking with your bro-in-law the plumber.

And thanks everyone for your good wishes!

over a year ago

Quick update, I have finally succeeded in changing the temperature and flow assembly on my shower panel.

Needed to get more tools, and a lot of patience and quite a bit of strength.

However, I have done it, and celebrated with a piping hot shower, naturally.

Feeling very smug for having done it all by myself.

It is a significant milestone, as I am determined to do more DIY on the house without resorting to external help next year.

By *allieJWoman
over a year ago

East Lancashire

Well done you.

over a year ago

Yes well done you, have a little drink to celebrate

over a year ago

I had full confidence in your ability to accomplish this task……..

But well-done anyway

Post new Message to Thread