Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

hd telly

Jump to newest

By *ortheastcoupleuk OP   Couple
over a year ago

easington were the sun dont shine

any one on here got hd is it worth the extra tena to get it ,was talking to shy guy in toon the day and after i told him we have the full package he told me to ring sky tell them you wana cancel and they try to talk you out of it and offer you free new sky hd box to keep you ,any one on here done that.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

At the moment you can get a free sky+ HD box and free installation anyway so why threaten to leave??

I got mine installed a week ago, and it is (for me) worth the extra tenner a month but I also got multi room at the same time also for free.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

says existing customers but the sky rep says you have to pay £60 for the new box just saying what the lad told me

By *eorge17Man
over a year ago

Leven

[Removed by poster at 19/03/10 18:58:10]

By *eorge17Man
over a year ago

Leven

"says existing customers but the sky rep says you have to pay £60 for the new box just saying what the lad told me"

I'm getting multiroom installed on Tuesday for £30 installation fee but the new sky hd box is free.

I've had hd for over a year and it is well worth the extra tenner.

Sky will usually do you a good deal but you have to ask for it.

over a year ago

aye thats what the shy rep said in the town like ive had sky since if fust come out to ,ive got a sky eye for the bedroom so aint to bothered boot multi room so might see what can get off them ill let the mrs she could sell sand to the arabs

over a year ago

"says existing customers but the sky rep says you have to pay £60 for the new box just saying what the lad told me"

As far as I'm aware, the sky HD box is free now, it was for us anyway.

Give sky a call to see what they say.

To answer your question, I personally believe it's worth the extra £10, the picture is much more clear, some films look great in HD, the likes of Transformers ad so on.

over a year ago

Only got Sky+ but I have got one of those ultra skinny Samsung LED TVs and that's brilliant. I had guests the other day and they thought it was HD as it looks sharper and more colourful than the LCD sets.

over a year ago

The hd box is deff free I even saw it advertised on the sky website as free, so methinks the rep was trying to make you pay for something the rest of us are getting for free

I would call them up and ask what the deals are.

If you live in a house or ground floor flat it should be free installation as well, I had to pay cos I live in a top floor flat but paying £30 was worth it cos I got to spent half an hour perving a couple of very nice young men

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"£30 was worth it cos I got to spent half an hour perving a couple of very nice young men

Shona x x x"

Oooh YOUNG MAN!!!

over a year ago

You have to remember though, HD is only available on the TV set connected directly to the Sky box via the HDMI cable, so if you have an extension, say into a bedroom, the output will be a standard composite (Normal def) signal.

The HD Box is now the only box which Sky are supplying to new installs, so once the stocks of refurbed Sky + boxes are exhausted, even a replacement box (if yours goes faulty whilst under warranty) will be an HD box (although you'll still have to pay extra for the HD subscription f you want it)

Even with an HD box and standard subscription, the HD box has a bigger hard drive so you can record more than you can on a standard Sky+ box, and you get a posher remote control, although if you know the secret, you can get the 'posh' HD remote control to work a standard Sky+ box

Is it worth the extra cash ?

Depends upon how much you watch TV, and what you watch - not all channels are transmitted in HD format, but an HD picture compared to a normal CVBS/RGB picture is like chalk and cheese - the difference is very very noticable

over a year ago

"At the moment you can get a free sky+ HD box and free installation anyway so why threaten to leave??

I got mine installed a week ago, and it is (for me) worth the extra tenner a month but I also got multi room at the same time also for free.

Shona

x x x "

its only free if you take out the multiroom option, we only wanted the box and are existing customers so they wanted £60...

i was so wound up as ive been a customer for years so i did ask to cancel and guess what i got it installed for £15 so explain how they can charge £60 in the first place...

and yes the HD is fab and so easy to use...

over a year ago

When I was a service engineer for Sky, all manner of concessions were allowed if the customer kicked up a fuss.

I always advised them to kick up a fuss lol, unless they were pains in the arse in which case I just let them get on with moaning

over a year ago

right im a bit thick with these things so someone explain slowly!!please?

its an ordinary tv i got but plannin on hd later in year, i have sky old box but fancy multiroom so i can put it either in my room or kiddos. suggestions please on is it worth upgrading? xx

over a year ago

Yup you can.

When sky install your HD, they'll fit a quad LNB to the dish, 2 of the outputs will feed the HD box' leaving 2 spare, one of which you can use to feed the old Sky box in the Kid's room.

If you don't want to fork out a 2nd subsciption (10 quid I think) just buy a Freesky card for 20 quid and it'll give him all the free to air channels - a bit like Freeview.

Is it work upgrading ??

If you get a HD or Sky+ Box, you'll no longer need aVCR to record your tele - it's all done inside the box on a hard drive.

Wether you take the HD option really depends firstly if you have an HD television and secondly what and how much TV you watch and how much you care about the quality of the picture.

Personally, although HD is super sharp, I'm happy with standard definition, but it's horses for courses really

over a year ago

i dont mind the extra 10 quid a month as we had the discussion and agreed if we got it and went in her room she would pay the 10 quid off her pocket money.

i do watch a lot of tv and the existin box is 9 years old so maybe time to join modern tv!! xx

over a year ago

Well we got the HD box and paid the extra £10 a month and to be honest would have been better saving the £10 a month as the difference isn’t too noticeable, suppose it might be if we had a 50” TV but its only 37” that’s him though, spent £300 on a blu-ray player and only have two films, a dvd will do me fine thanks

over a year ago

"At the moment you can get a free sky+ HD box and free installation anyway so why threaten to leave??

Shona

x x x its only free if you take out the multiroom option, we only wanted the box and are existing customers so they wanted £60...

i was so wound up as ive been a customer for years so i did ask to cancel and guess what i got it installed for £15 so explain how they can charge £60 in the first place...

and yes the HD is fab and so easy to use..."

Im scratching my head here cos I was sent a generic leaflet saying "get a Sky+HD box for free standard installation included" I called up cos I got my normal sky box November 07 so was no longer under warrenty.

I was told cos I needed the heights team out (living in a top floor flat dish just under the kitchen window 2 flights up) I would have to pay £30 for insallation, THEN I asked if I could have the normal box put in my bedroom, I was told that would also be done at no extra cost. I never asked for the multi room first and at no point was I told it would be free if I took the multi room.

A week ago 2 nice fit young men turned up and didnt object to me perving them while they changed what needed to be changed and installed my sky+hd and multiroom.

I pay and extra £20 per month a tenner for multi room and a tenner for hd.

I honestly think someone somewhere is pulling a fast one and trying to part people with money when there is no need.

Shona

x x x

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

can u get hd in black n white x lol

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

got a cheeky box all channels for nought

By *eorge17Man
over a year ago

Leven

"got a cheeky box all channels for nought"

if thats with cable make the most of it coz virgin are changing the encryption and will render all these boxes useless

over a year ago

Don't have Sky and I don't know if any programmes I am receiving are in HD or not, and to be honest, I don't believe I can tell the difference!

over a year ago

We had a free HD box and have the HD package. To be honest although you can notice the difference between HD and normal sky or digital, it's not like wow look at that! If it was free then yeah it's cool but not really worth the extra money xxx

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It will be Sky 3D by the summer...

over a year ago

HD is great if you have a 1080p tv but a waste of time if you don't. On a large screen you can see a big difference with the sport and movies.

Post new Message to Thread