FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Google maps,arguements and getting lost!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Had enough of that so have finally ordered a sat nav

I know I must be the last person in the country to get one

Are they any good though or will I be posting about the sodding sat nav getting it wrong

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

They're great till they get confused, then it's like having a dysfunctional Dalek in your car with you. Mine has a habit (only in Bristol city centre, for some reason) of suddenly launching into a chorus of "Recalculating.. do a U-turn.. recalculating.. recalculating.. do a U-turn.. recalculating..."

All this as I drive straight along one fairly major road..! Tsk, bah and tish to all this technology, I'm going to throw it all out and navigate by the stars. Of course that means I can't go out in daylight, but, hey, I'm handsomer in the dark..

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Waves to HP I dont have a sat nav - but then I dont drive so I dont need one

My father in law got a sat nav a few years ago and was programming it when it piped up with "turn righ turn right" would have been ok but it was on his bed at the time

Shona

x x x

Forum Mod

over a year ago

OMG I can't cope with a confused sat nav.......I may use the stars too,they're normally out by the time we get where we're going anyway

over a year ago

I always swore if Steven learnt to drive I would buy him a sat nav cos according to him I cant navigate

This from the man who doesnt know one end of a map from the other and worse we have lived in the same town for almost 4 years and he still doesnt know the name of the street over the back from us

Shona

x x x

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Lol @ Shona,was your mum in the room at the time as Rob wonders just what address he had entered into it,he reckons fanny street

over a year ago

They are great but there's nothing as satsfying as when she gets confused and starts trying to direct me into the middle of a field.

She's a bit stern when I miss a turn aswell!

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

They are great if you know where you are going

By *istress-MazikeenWoman
over a year ago

bolton

I am a navigator for a mate when we do car rallies, and he readily admits I am the better map reader, do need sat nav...

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Never needed one.

Google maps are great - and the fact you can visualise the larger area at once reather than looking at a blue (i think its blue) line and nowt else is more appealling.

What i dint understand is when peoplehave them on all the way up the motorway,

Surely you can turn it off at J1 and turn it back on again at j36 if you wanna get off at j37....????

Or is it a lot of fun listening to "go straight ahaid, go straight ahead, dont turn off at this junction you fuckwit you got 5 more to go!!!"

LOL

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I have used one before and it got on my tits by repeating itself all the time

I do need one though we have exhausted the men in the near vicinity and are travelling further afield

over a year ago

Which one?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Which one?"

Oooh let me check ive reserved it from halfords

over a year ago

"Lol @ Shona,was your mum in the room at the time as Rob wonders just what address he had entered into it,he reckons fanny street "

Shona

x x x

Forum Mod

over a year ago

NDrive touch if that makes any sense?

It was a bargain so you'll prob say its crap

over a year ago

I do have a sat nav but i do drive approx 50k miles a year.

Only on the one occasion the sat nav took me to a road which was closed permanently due to an unsafe bridge but that was my fault as i never updated the software but apart from that i would be lost without it.

over a year ago

I love my sat nav. I bought Hubby a Garmin one but also have one on my phone which is pretty good too.

Only once have we ended up driving along a private road without a suitable place to turn around and detour. Worked out OK in the end although the people in the house at the end of the private road did give us a funny look as we went past!

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I`ve not got one either. I`ve got Autoroute 2006 loaded onto my lappy and have a good look at that before I go. If I`m not sure I take the lappy with me which is always handier if you hear of your route ahead being blocked some distance in advance. A good example of this was last year when I was going from Bournemouth to Stafford. Coming up the A34 there were messages that it was blocked, so I diverted onto the M4 then turned onto the A338, missing the blockage!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Coming back from Brum a couple of weeks ago I went the wrong way up the M6

Another reason for having one I think had to pay to get off the bloody thing

Toll booths were nice though

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"Coming back from Brum a couple of weeks ago I went the wrong way up the M6"

Ah ha, it was you coming towards me the wrong way was it!

Women!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Coming back from Brum a couple of weeks ago I went the wrong way up the M6

Ah ha, it was you coming towards me the wrong way was it!

Women! "

I do remember a screaming face at the wheel of a car coming at me now I think about it it

over a year ago

i dont have one!

i dont have the time or patience and if i got lost it would get launched out the window!!

il stick to aa autoroute and the google map thingy in my phone if im really stuck!! xx

over a year ago

oor wee jane (tom tom) has never took us a wrong turning yet

having said that we once borrowed a garmin one from a friend before we bought it and it went haywire just past Leeds, telling us to do U turns on the motorway lol, it eventually got us there though, even if it was by a single lane farm road.

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"Never needed one.

Google maps are great - and the fact you can visualise the larger area at once reather than looking at a blue (i think its blue) line and nowt else is more appealling.

What i dint understand is when peoplehave them on all the way up the motorway,

Surely you can turn it off at J1 and turn it back on again at j36 if you wanna get off at j37....????

Or is it a lot of fun listening to "go straight ahaid, go straight ahead, dont turn off at this junction you fuckwit you got 5 more to go!!!"

LOL"

lol , your right , but we leave it on so we dont fall asleep and go past the turning we want

it also give a warning if you go too much over the speed limit x

over a year ago

Don't trust it 100%, and remember you still need to read the road signs etc...

Local knowledge beats the nav when it comes to route planning. And the sat nav route may not be the most scenic and interesting.

Remember a post code can cover quite a large area!

Apart from that, sat nav is great, and I won't travel to unfamiliar place without mine!

over a year ago

love my sat nav wouldnt go anywhere without it but always check a map before u head off...u have to have someidea of where u are going !! my fiend has one where u can get different voices downloaded for fun ... there is one with a sexy ladies voice that says "you have reached your destination now pull up and shag me over the bonnet "...he doesnt use it when his mum is in the car !!

Post new Message to Thread