Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Petrol prizes

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just a general question what the hell is going on with the Petrol prizes in this country?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

just the usual, the big companies are taking the piss and the goverment are just sitting back and letting them....

over a year ago

another 3p a litre duty to be added on the 1st april too

over a year ago

Think you will find the problem is that the Government takes a big slice of what we pay..Every time they add a bit to it we also pay VAT on it as well so more likely to be 4 p on a litre..

We pay about 119 at mo and something like 83% is duty and VAT.

over a year ago

just checked and this is the current tax the goverment take on fuel

2009 Fuel Tax Figures

as of 1 September 2009 in the United Kingdom is:

•56.19 pence per litre for main road fuels, unleaded petrol and diesel

•65.91 pence per litre for leaded petrol

•36.19 pence per litre for biodiesel and bioethanol

•22.16 pence per kg for road fuel natural gas

•27.67 pence per kg for road fuel liquefied petroleum gas ('LPG')

On 1 December 2008 a permanent 2p increase in fuel tax was introduced to offset the rate cut in VAT from 17.5% to 15% bringing the duty rate for the main road fuels up to 52.35p per litre.

On 1 April 2009 the duty rate for unleaded petrol and diesel was icreased by 1.84 ppl to 54.19p per litre and again on 1 September 2009 by 2 ppl to reach the current level of 56.19 per litre. These rates will be increased further on 1 April 2010 to 2013 by 1% above inflation each year.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I get that.what i dont understand is that every country pays the same for a barrel of oil and every where else in Europe is cheaper.So it is true what ppl are saying that the Britsh will never do anything?

over a year ago

"just checked and this is the current tax the goverment take on fuel

2009 Fuel Tax Figures

On 1 December 2008 a permanent 2p increase in fuel tax was introduced to offset the rate cut in VAT from 17.5% to 15% bringing the duty rate for the main road fuels up to 52.35p per litre.

On 1 April 2009 the duty rate for unleaded petrol and diesel was icreased by 1.84 ppl to 54.19p per litre and again on 1 September 2009 by 2 ppl to reach the current level of 56.19 per litre. These rates will be increased further on 1 April 2010 to 2013 by 1% above inflation each year.

"

You haven't mentioned the VAT rise back up to 17.5% and that the 2p increase to offset the VAT reduction has not been reduced so the real price rise is a lot higher.

It's 116.9ppl at our local Shell garage and that has crept up slowly over the past couple of months. The petrol companies do this when there are much more important news items making daily headlines, like a lil ole war on two fronts against muslim extremists - who wants to hear about an iddy biddy increase in the cost of fuel when there's death & destruction to keep us entertained.

over a year ago

mmmmm maybe if we all got together like the French & kicked up a pile of doo doo... the government might just realise the voters are sick of the sight of profiteering companies & MP`s

Having said that.... the average British Voters, cud`nt stand together long enuf to get a group photograph...

A day of inaction wud be a good way to start off a fuel protest...

hope no one reads this i will end up on a government security list....& i ain`t kidding... they get everywhere...

over a year ago

Standing together against the might of conglomerates is just waaaaay to unBritish. Far better to suck it up and take it on the chin like we've always done!

over a year ago

we agree, the government and these petrol companies like distraction.

All fuel prices, petrol, electricity and gas ect are unreasonably high when you actually look at the profit these companies are making.

But we are sort of held to ransom? as these are fuels we need in everyday life and the government and these companies are well aware of this.

over a year ago

What do you win?

over a year ago

Goverment have us by the balls.

Why

Because we are all too lilly livered to stand up, protest and do something about it, but it's high time something was done, I'm sick to death of having it stuck up me.

Sooner or later it won't be worth my while going to work, I simply won't be able to afford to do so.

Every day fuel creeps up a penny here, a penny there and no-one bothers to say a thing about it.

It's time we had a revolution in this God forsaken country

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"Just a general question what the hell is going on with the Petrol prizes in this country?"

it might help if you did 7 miles a week less , and that would help reduce carbon emmisions that is causing climate change

anyway thats what it says on the tv advert :-z

over a year ago

"Standing together against the might of conglomerates is just waaaaay to unBritish. Far better to suck it up and take it on the chin like we've always done! "

Yep Wishy, your right of course... but as you well know.... being from oop north... we do sometimes rebel... come the revolution...

over a year ago

"it might help if you did 7 miles a week less , and that would help reduce carbon emmisions that is causing climate change

anyway thats what it says on the tv advert :-z"

HAW HAW HAW!!! Climate change bollocks. Just another way of getting us to fork out extra cash to keep the planet 'green' - anyone looked at the lastest satellite photos recently? Apart from the seas and the deserts the Earth looks pretty fookin green to me!!

over a year ago

"just checked and this is the current tax the goverment take on fuel

2009 Fuel Tax Figures

"

you have forgotten that the goverment also take vat on top of fuel duty making the figurthat they acualy take higher that stated we are not being ripped of by fuel companies but by the goverment

over a year ago

"I get that.what i dont understand is that every country pays the same for a barrel of oil and every where else in Europe is cheaper.So it is true what ppl are saying that the Britsh will never do anything?"
having just driven to amsterdam via dover/calais then through belgium and holland fuel prices in europe are on par with ours and in belgium was actualy about 2 p per litre dearer

over a year ago

"you have forgotten that the goverment also take vat on top of fuel duty making the figurthat they acualy take higher that stated we are not being ripped of by fuel companies but by the goverment"

Lol Fuel companies are just as bad as the goverment these companies make billions in profit every year

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

Caracas, Venezuela. 17 cents per gallon!

wonder what that is per litre

what the hell , lleno el tanko por favor

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Its all supply and demand for the oil companies and if we pay what they demand they supply. The price does vary throughout the world as transportation costs and refining costs come into it along with insurance etc. Now if Saddam had got his way it would be well over £2 a litre

By *ickedWWoman
over a year ago

Chester

"What do you win? "

I was gonna say that but thought I might get shouted at

over a year ago

"What do you win?

I was gonna say that but thought I might get shouted at

"

Yup - me too.

Yes our Government do see to stand back and let the big companies shaft us.

I think that there are also big international speculators like hedge funds and other shady outfits who force up oil prices.

over a year ago

"having just driven to amsterdam via dover/calais then through belgium and holland fuel prices in europe are on par with ours and in belgium was actualy about 2 p per litre dearer"

I will agree and disagree with this.

Petrol is more than 2p a litre in Belgium and Holland.

Diesel however can be a fair bit cheaper if you turn off the motorway for a minute or two.

over a year ago

Just another rip of from our government and we're all stupid and timid enough to put up with it! Bring on another fuel protest and lets all stand up together against the government! Not sure if i'm allowed to say that or not? but hey its too late i did..

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"I get that.what i dont understand is that every country pays the same for a barrel of oil and every where else in Europe is cheaper.So it is true what ppl are saying that the Britsh will never do anything?"

Not entirely true about other countries in Europe. We are based in Germany and the petrol/diesel prices are just as high over here as they are in the UK.

over a year ago

Oil company profits are a world wide group profit from the sale of billions of gallons of fuel. A small profit is made on each gallon ,yes it adds up to an enourmous profit but nothing compared to the money the goverment charge in duty !

Get off your arse's and rebel against this 3rd rate goverment!

Bet you will still vote for them!!!!!!!!

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"having just driven to amsterdam via dover/calais then through belgium and holland fuel prices in europe are on par with ours and in belgium was actualy about 2 p per litre dearer

I will agree and disagree with this.

Petrol is more than 2p a litre in Belgium and Holland.

Diesel however can be a fair bit cheaper if you turn off the motorway for a minute or two."

It actually says 2p per litre dearer .... not 2p per litre.

over a year ago

Dammit ! I was getting ready to nip over to Belgium with a couple of 5gal cans

over a year ago

£1.20 and rising they say by April! I can see people picking closer meets.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Much of Europe is now as expensive if not more expensive on unleaded fuel, their governments may take less duty per litre but the reality is that in many European countries the petrol companies makes up to 20% more profit per litre of fuel sold than in the UK.

But those amongst us that believe that voting out the present government in favour of Mt Cameron will make any difference at all in petrol price rises in the future are guilty of wishful thinking, after all it was the Tories who brought in the Fuel Duty Escalator scheme in the first place.

We need to wake up to the fact that the only people making real money out of petrol and diesel are the speculators in the stock exchanges around the world, when OPEC output goes up and base oil prices drop they buy (or pledge to buy) billions of barrels of promised production and hold onto it until production drops and they can then earn their 10-12 points on the barrel.

It is the same speculators that drive up Gas prices the same way, price drops rarely get passed on to the public when there are a few greedy companies like Schroeder Wagg making money out of our misery.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Two reasons for it being high at the moment:-

Unfavourable pound/dollar conditions.

Speculaters

At one time there was about 10 supertankers fully laden lying off Rotterdam and a few in the English Channel waiting for the crude price to go up before they unloaded.

Post new Message to Thread