Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Car Mechanics

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Any mechanics in here with sound knowledge!

Had a fuel filter replaced after it failing last week, today the powertrain warning light come on, is this coincidence or likely to be related to work on the fuel filter?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Any mechanics in here with sound knowledge!

Had a fuel filter replaced after it failing last week, today the powertrain warning light come on, is this coincidence or likely to be related to work on the fuel filter?

"

I teach mechanics, As long as the filter is not leaking and the car runs well I doubt it, has it been on since the change?

over a year ago

No, the filter was changed last tuesday, light has just come on. car was running ok and still drives but as per the manual lacks full power

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

sometimes theres two filters one near the fuel tank you need to have that one done as well what car is it ?

over a year ago

What type of car is it as you may be able to get a fault code up with out connecting it to a computer which will give you a rough idea if what is happening

over a year ago

"No, the filter was changed last tuesday, light has just come on. car was running ok and still drives but as per the manual lacks full power"

Why had it failed?

over a year ago

its a mazda 3. It just died on tuesday, RAC came and guy said filter was blocked by using supermarket bio fuel, had the filter swapped and it was fine after.

wehn it died this powertrain light did not come on. This is a new event today

over a year ago

and im sure mazda dealer will want big bucks just to get the fault codes..

over a year ago

Petrol or diesel?

over a year ago

Diesel

over a year ago

"its a mazda 3. It just died on tuesday, RAC came and guy said filter was blocked by using supermarket bio fuel, had the filter swapped and it was fine after.

wehn it died this powertrain light did not come on. This is a new event today "

Then that suggests its not the filter, but it does need some diagnostic kit on it to start to find out whats wrong,

Unless its drawing air in at the filter causing loss of fuel pressure

over a year ago

"and im sure mazda dealer will want big bucks just to get the fault codes.. "

Buy your own code reader, they can be had for as little as £15 but will only read the ECU faults (not ABS or airbag).

over a year ago

"Diesel"

My first port of call with any diesel would be the EGR valve, its probably filthy and jammed. They're usually a simple DIY job to clean, just google your car and EGR valve and there will most likely be a guide.

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

best thing to do is get it seviced by a good local mechanic

over a year ago

Egr valve my guess too!

over a year ago

Just did a quick google check, there's loads of guides on cleaning the EGR valve on the Mazda 3. It may nit be the source of the problem but its always a good idea to give them a good clean anyway.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Egr valve my guess too!"
not nescaseril

Y could be be injectors need re synching could be dmf filter or any number of things join a mazda owners site on line find someone with obd2 software close to you and get them to come and read your codes much cheaper than jumping to conclusions that are wrong ! One temporary fix is to disconect the battery (save all radio codes etc first ) for 30 mins this should re set ECU and clear it car will drive different whilst it re adjusts to your driving good luck tho

over a year ago

"Egr valve my guess too!not nescaseril

Y could be be injectors need re synching could be dmf filter or any number of things join a mazda owners site on line find someone with obd2 software close to you and get them to come and read your codes much cheaper than jumping to conclusions that are wrong ! One temporary fix is to disconect the battery (save all radio codes etc first ) for 30 mins this should re set ECU and clear it car will drive different whilst it re adjusts to your driving good luck tho "

Cleaning the EGR valve is free!

Surely you mean the DPF (diesel particulate filter) rather than the DMF (dual mass fly wheel) which is far from cheap and re-syncing the injectors us only usually necessary if they've been replaced. It could be the injector seals though, if its misfiring and there's black tar like goo on top of the engine around the injectors.

over a year ago

I've had the same issue for a couple of weeks on and off, I've had the egr valve changed, and they have plugged it into their computer but no idea what is wrong, in the last two weeks it has cost me over £300, so any one any ideas, its a Peugeot 307 2.00 hdi x

over a year ago

"I've had the same issue for a couple of weeks on and off, I've had the egr valve changed, and they have plugged it into their computer but no idea what is wrong, in the last two weeks it has cost me over £300, so any one any ideas, its a Peugeot 307 2.00 hdi x"

Egr faults can be caused by many things, or at least the egr unit showing an error code, something as simple as a misfire can be show up egr valve fault and oxygen sensor

Really you need to put the car into an auto electrician , let him do the diagnostics.

If egr valve is faulty generally the car still runs ok, but it may not be the sender itself, it could be a wire, or losse connection.

My advice would be buy a diagnostic of ebay , plug it in and google the results , a lot of faults on cars these days are really simple yet immensely difficult to find.

When you have an idea take it to a garage one that does free fault diagnosis like formula one or my purple garage .

In the olden days, us mechanics used to be able to listen to an engine and know exactly what is wrong , nowadays it's all computers and electrics.

over a year ago

"I've had the same issue for a couple of weeks on and off, I've had the egr valve changed, and they have plugged it into their computer but no idea what is wrong, in the last two weeks it has cost me over £300, so any one any ideas, its a Peugeot 307 2.00 hdi x"

Could be mass air flow meter or even the dpf at fault hard to say without looking on a computer and see what readings you get.... And nice to see there are quite a few of us mechanics on here... Maybe we should arrange a get together lol

over a year ago

Would not advise anyone buying a code reader, as I have seen far too many people misinterpreting the codes and wasting money

over a year ago

"I've had the same issue for a couple of weeks on and off, I've had the egr valve changed, and they have plugged it into their computer but no idea what is wrong, in the last two weeks it has cost me over £300, so any one any ideas, its a Peugeot 307 2.00 hdi x

Could be mass air flow meter or even the dpf at fault hard to say without looking on a computer and see what readings you get.... And nice to see there are quite a few of us mechanics on here... Maybe we should arrange a get together lol "

That's a good idea, we could meet at mine and gas flow the head on my mg with vvc whilst my girl dresses as a bunny girl bringing us beer and blowjobs

over a year ago

"I've had the same issue for a couple of weeks on and off, I've had the egr valve changed, and they have plugged it into their computer but no idea what is wrong, in the last two weeks it has cost me over £300, so any one any ideas, its a Peugeot 307 2.00 hdi x

Could be mass air flow meter or even the dpf at fault hard to say without looking on a computer and see what readings you get.... And nice to see there are quite a few of us mechanics on here... Maybe we should arrange a get together lol

That's a good idea, we could meet at mine and gas flow the head on my mg with vvc whilst my girl dresses as a bunny girl bringing us beer and blowjobs

"

Do we have to look at the car

over a year ago

Do we have to look at the car "

And you Call yourself a mechanic lol

over a year ago

Could be mass air flow meter or even the dpf at fault hard to say without looking on a computer and see what readings you get.... And nice to see there are quite a few of us mechanics on here... Maybe we should arrange a get together lol "

Yup, usually one of the two main causes of faults, the MAF or EGR, both, thankfully, are easy DIY fixes. You can also try to force a regen of the DPF by giving it a good run along the motorway at 70 in 4th gear. You'll know when it starts the regen because the revs will drop slightly and it'll chuck a bit of soot out the exhaust, once its started its important that you don't stop or the regen will fail and you'll need to start the process again. Another top tip I had with my Renault is the oil seperator bottle, they can get clogged and mimic the symptoms of turbo failure, takes ten minutes to clean.

over a year ago

Yup, usually one of the two main causes of faults, the MAF or EGR, both, thankfully, are easy DIY fixes. You can also try to force a regen of the DPF by giving it a good run along the motorway at 70 in 4th gear. You'll know when it starts the regen because the revs will drop slightly and it'll chuck a bit of soot out the exhaust, once its started its important that you don't stop or the regen will fail and you'll need to start the process again. Another top tip I had with my Renault is the oil seperator bottle, they can get clogged and mimic the symptoms of turbo failure, takes ten minutes to clean."

I've done that and it worked for all of two days starting to stress me now x

over a year ago

"Egr valve my guess too!not nescaseril

Y could be be injectors need re synching could be dmf filter or any number of things join a mazda owners site on line find someone with obd2 software close to you and get them to come and read your codes much cheaper than jumping to conclusions that are wrong ! One temporary fix is to disconect the battery (save all radio codes etc first ) for 30 mins this should re set ECU and clear it car will drive different whilst it re adjusts to your driving good luck tho "

Lol. EGR!

over a year ago

And you Call yourself a mechanic lol "

Nope I call myself a Motor Vehicle Lecturer

over a year ago

is it safe to potter about in it now?

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

* hottie pops in, realises this thread isn't about hot mechanics in greasy overalls and leaves again

over a year ago

Nope I call myself a Motor Vehicle Lecturer "

Paula is always lecturing me about my cars , two nags would be a bit much sorry lol

over a year ago

Nope I call myself a Motor Vehicle Lecturer

Paula is always lecturing me about my cars , two nags would be a bit much sorry lol"

Hahaha sounds interesting and done a lot on the vvc engine as ex rover mechanic lol

over a year ago

"Hahaha sounds interesting and done a lot on the vvc engine as ex rover mechanic lol "

I am ex Rover, but left not long after the VVC came out and no one was allowed to touch the heads, thye used to send there peps out if the was a problem

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/11/13 14:50:38]

over a year ago

"is it safe to potter about in it now? "

If the car isn't in 'limp mode' (restricted performance) then it should be ok, just get it looked at.

over a year ago

Yup, usually one of the two main causes of faults, the MAF or EGR, both, thankfully, are easy DIY fixes. You can also try to force a regen of the DPF by giving it a good run along the motorway at 70 in 4th gear. You'll know when it starts the regen because the revs will drop slightly and it'll chuck a bit of soot out the exhaust, once its started its important that you don't stop or the regen will fail and you'll need to start the process again. Another top tip I had with my Renault is the oil seperator bottle, they can get clogged and mimic the symptoms of turbo failure, takes ten minutes to clean.

I've done that and it worked for all of two days starting to stress me now x"

Did they write the codes down for you when they plugged it in, they really should have? If not give them a call and get them to tell you. Post them here and it'll give us a good idea of a starting point.

over a year ago

"Hahaha sounds interesting and done a lot on the vvc engine as ex rover mechanic lol

I am ex Rover, but left not long after the VVC came out and no one was allowed to touch the heads, thye used to send there peps out if the was a problem"

Never sent anyone out to us and had the tools for holding and setting up the vvc

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"Would not advise anyone buying a code reader, as I have seen far too many people misinterpreting the codes and wasting money "
And I've seen people ripped off royally by main dealers charging a fortune to read the codes.

This whole thread is pointless without knowing what the fault code is.

over a year ago

"Would not advise anyone buying a code reader, as I have seen far too many people misinterpreting the codes and wasting money And I've seen people ripped off royally by main dealers charging a fortune to read the codes.

This whole thread is pointless without knowing what the fault code is."

Have you seen how much Renault charge for a quick diag? £105+vat! I bought a £15 code reader from eBay and it did the job perfectly, it also reset the codes too.

At least Alfa/Fiat/Lancia did the right thing and made their diagnostic programs available online for free, you just pay £10-£20 for the correct ELM cables...

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

Which is why I quoted the "don't buy a code reader bit"

I would never go to a main dealer (they are called Stealers for a reason). But without the code we are all pissing in the wind. A good way, if you have an Android phone is to get an Elm327 dongle from Ebay for about a tenner and download an app called Torque which will tell you what codes are stored. Like any codereader it will give you the generic codes then you need to Google to find the manufacturer specific stuff.

over a year ago

"Hahaha sounds interesting and done a lot on the vvc engine as ex rover mechanic lol

I am ex Rover, but left not long after the VVC came out and no one was allowed to touch the heads, thye used to send there peps out if the was a problem

Never sent anyone out to us and had the tools for holding and setting up the vvc "

You were not allowed to touch the head, that was very early days

over a year ago

Never sent anyone out to us and had the tools for holding and setting up the vvc

You were not allowed to touch the head, that was very early days"

I had the coupe vvc and even 8-9 year ago I had mine in getting the head done and they couldn't set it up and had to get someone else to come in to do it.

I've had 216, 218, 220 and the 220t over the past 8 year and the only one I wish I hadn't bought was the 220t

over a year ago

You were not allowed to touch the head, that was very early days"

I have put a. K&n with cold air feed,throwing out the resonator and original air box and a 52 mm throttle body , i looked at the specs of the tf and the only difference seems to be the combustion chambers shape .

I am sure I could make paula do a deal if you knew how to set the cams properly .and can bleed the cooling a system correctly

I know from past experience she will do anything to get engines, outboard motors, wood chippers etc from the kitchen and front room lol

over a year ago

Peugeot 307 HDi, suffer commonly from injector tip seals failing, injectors failing, diesel particulate filer blockage often caused by other faults rather than DPF failure... You really need to get car properly diagnoised by someone with genuine Peugeot system, either the Diagbox or Peugeot planet systems as often the fault codes thrown up on after market systems are either wrong or very often don't even show up as a fault thinin the engine management system ! My qualification is electronic diagnostic technician for past 15 years so have a great deal of experience...

If you would like to know more feel free to PM me !

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

Rockies your man, main dealers are crap charge a fortune all on bonus don't know how to use there brains if it don't come up on there screen charged me a fortune when my Renault espace used to cut out for no apparent reason warning light would come on saying see dealer just had to turn key off and on and away it went for a bit they changed sensors etc several times eventually I could tell them how to drive it and make it happen, said they had another one the same did not know what fault was had spent several thousands trying to mend the other one, told them not to carry on, got fed up one day thought lets look at it myself took filter off blocked solid fitted new one never stopped again, wankers and they had been servicing at correct times so called.

over a year ago

No sorry electrical engineer here

over a year ago

Peugeot 307 HDi, suffer commonly from injector tip seals failing, injectors failing, diesel particulate filer blockage often caused by other faults rather than DPF failure... You really need to get car properly diagnoised by someone with genuine Peugeot system, either the Diagbox or Peugeot planet systems as often the fault codes thrown up on after market systems are either wrong or very often don't even show up as a fault thinin the engine management system ! My qualification is electronic diagnostic technician for past 15 years so have a great deal of experience...

If you would like to know more feel free to PM me !"

Injector seals appears to be common on all French diesel engines I had to do the Renault back in March and since then done several more for friends. It's a nice, cheap and simple job once you can get the injector free (thank dog for slide hammers and injector pullers ).

over a year ago

Codes -

Fuel pressure

Diesel particulate filter regeneration

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

"

The DPF either needs a forced regen or replacing. Personally I'd have it removed and remapped by a good diesel specialist, it will cost you several hundred pounds less than a new DPF, while you're getting that done have the EGR valve blanked and deleted from the map too, you'll have more power and better economy. Do a google search for "DPF and EGR remap" in your area.

The low fuel pressure could be the high pressure pump inside the engine (modern common rail diesels have two pumps), its not a cheap, easy job I'm afraid.

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

The DPF either needs a forced regen or replacing. Personally I'd have it removed and remapped by a good diesel specialist, it will cost you several hundred pounds less than a new DPF, while you're getting that done have the EGR valve blanked and deleted from the map too, you'll have more power and better economy. Do a google search for "DPF and EGR remap" in your area.

The low fuel pressure could be the high pressure pump inside the engine (modern common rail diesels have two pumps), its not a cheap, easy job I'm afraid."

I should have said you can force a regen yourself. Get the car warmed up then get on the motorway, drive for 20-30 miles at 70 in 4th gear. You'll notice a sudden loss of performance and some black smoke/soot this should last 10-15 mins, its just the DPF burning off the particulate matter it has trapped.

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

The low fuel pressure could be the high pressure pump inside the engine (modern common rail diesels have two pumps), its not a cheap, easy job I'm afraid.

I should have said you can force a regen yourself. Get the car warmed up then get on the motorway, drive for 20-30 miles at 70 in 4th gear. You'll notice a sudden loss of performance and some black smoke/soot this should last 10-15 mins, its just the DPF burning off the particulate matter it has trapped."

Car has gone into safe mode with the powertrain lihgt on and now the engine light. Ive sorted it tho, traded the fucker in! Get a nice shiny new one next week with a petrol engine, more suited to my/our driving use of the car

thanks for all the advice everyone.

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

I should have said you can force a regen yourself. Get the car warmed up then get on the motorway, drive for 20-30 miles at 70 in 4th gear. You'll notice a sudden loss of performance and some black smoke/soot this should last 10-15 mins, its just the DPF burning off the particulate matter it has trapped.

Car has gone into safe mode with the powertrain lihgt on and now the engine light. Ive sorted it tho, traded the fucker in! Get a nice shiny new one next week with a petrol engine, more suited to my/our driving use of the car

thanks for all the advice everyone."

Good move .

People often think diesel is better because of the fuel economy it offers over petrol, sadly its kinda misinformed. If you drive less than 15,000 miles a year and little motorway/dual carriageway driving a diesel engine will quickly start having problems and the mpg will start to drop radically.

My advice to anyone who owns a diesel and drives less than 15k miles a year is to cut the service schedule in half (so service the car at half the specified mileage) and take it for regular runs up the motorway.

over a year ago

I have always had Ladas, never had a problem in 35 years, and when they do die, they are great for growing tomato's and chillies. My 5 look great on the front lawn.

over a year ago

"I have always had Ladas, never had a problem in 35 years, and when they do die, they are great for growing tomato's and chillies. My 5 look great on the front lawn."

lol

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

Good move .

People often think diesel is better because of the fuel economy it offers over petrol, sadly its kinda misinformed. If you drive less than 15,000 miles a year and little motorway/dual carriageway driving a diesel engine will quickly start having problems and the mpg will start to drop radically.

My advice to anyone who owns a diesel and drives less than 15k miles a year is to cut the service schedule in half (so service the car at half the specified mileage) and take it for regular runs up the motorway."

That was our reasoning, we maybe do one long trip a month, 90miles there and back, everything else is short hops round town, dropping kids off etc, just seemed the right thing to do and we got a good deal.

over a year ago

"I have always had Ladas, never had a problem in 35 years, and when they do die, they are great for growing tomato's and chillies. My 5 look great on the front lawn."

I had a Lada convertible while living in Austria and it was a great car, the seats converted into a double bed!!!

By *ndy_mandyCouple
over a year ago

Tredegar

"Diesel

My first port of call with any diesel would be the EGR valve, its probably filthy and jammed. They're usually a simple DIY job to clean, just google your car and EGR valve and there will most likely be a guide."

This is what i was going to say, this is quite a common fault on most engines.

By *ndycambs81Man
over a year ago

peterborough

for the dpf problem i would reconmend

Wynns dpf cleaner. It makes the dpf burn off at a lower rate

As for the fuel pressure fault have they told you weather its the pressure in the fuel rail or from the low pressure pump

over a year ago

Had same issue 2 yrs ago with our 307 HDI, we solved it simply and permanently. we had the egr removed and blanked off, we had the exhaust de-catted, we had the DPF system fully reoved and the whole lot reprogrammed to reoved the software controlling all these item.....and got a tune up giving a significant power increase by contacting Hdi-tuning(dot)co(dot)uk.

The car drove hugely better we owned it until recently and it never had an issue again.

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

Good move .

My advice to anyone who owns a diesel and drives less than 15k miles a year is to cut the service schedule in half (so service the car at half the specified mileage) and take it for regular runs up the motorway."

Glad you have said this as been considering a diesel if I can but now given what you have said I am not so sure now. How does that equate to someone who has two jobs and doesn't use motorways (other than meets)or are you saying one has to do 15,000 miles or more on or off motorways?

over a year ago

"Codes -

Fuel pressure

Good move .

My advice to anyone who owns a diesel and drives less than 15k miles a year is to cut the service schedule in half (so service the car at half the specified mileage) and take it for regular runs up the motorway.

Glad you have said this as been considering a diesel if I can but now given what you have said I am not so sure now. How does that equate to someone who has two jobs and doesn't use motorways (other than meets)or are you saying one has to do 15,000 miles or more on or off motorways?"

Short answer is, if you're willing to service the car twice a year and get your hands dirty cleaning the EGR valve then I wouldn't bother. If you're doing short journeys and town driving a small petrol engine will be more reliable and much more forgiving. A diesel engine will start presenting problems fairly quickly.

I can give you a full run down of the problems you can expect if you like but its mostly what I said above regarding the EGR valve and DPF along with oil breather and turbo problems.

Post new Message to Thread