Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I am cheap ...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

... to feed!

5 portions of macaroni cheese made with lots of mushrooms and chorizos, and tubs of cream cheeses, and some sour cream, all of which would be binned if I did not use them up yesterday!

Cost me next to nothing except prep and cooking time, and they (had to be done in two glass dishes) out beautifully and extremely yummy!

Can't wait to have some tonight! Dinner is sorted, woo hoo!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

YUM!!!!

I always find using up the fridge contents and usuing a bit of imagination always creates yummy meals

Sounds lish. I really am gonna come raid your kitchen one of these days x

over a year ago

I have a very relaxed attitude to expiry date on food. If it smells and looks ok then I would use it.

I have cooked up opened packs of bacon that looked and started to smell a bit dodgy. However, with long cooking time and high wet heat, everything gets killed. And I am still alive to tell the tales!

I don't do this when I cook for other people though, and will always use the freshest produce.

I am sure I'll have a party one of these days and you can be sure to be invited!

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

can never accuse K of being cheap

( gonna go and hide now in case she reads this thread)

over a year ago

"can never accuse K of being cheap

( gonna go and hide now in case she reads this thread)"

I do have expensive tastes, Snoggy will tell you it's true!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Macaroni cheese for breakfast?

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Hee hee - i am the same with use by dates.

Ignore em - the food tells me when its no good anymore.

Again - wouldnt use old stuff on guests - fresh every time - and usually lots of left overs for me too hehe

When i was kid and did work experience at the milk factory - they said that the use by date was the shortest date that in normal conditions that the food would go off, but in reality that the food/milk was still very edible for many days after that.

Since then i have not taken the use by dates too seriously.

Esp when go supermarket late at night for things that are 50p etc - as are all going out of date TODAY. Well that lot usually lasts me a few days

over a year ago

What I meant was that, when it comes to food, I am quite economical and am quite easily pleased!

From time to time, I like to eat fancy food lovingly prepared by creative chefs in wonderful settings. However, I find it difficult to justify the cost.

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"Hee hee - i am the same with use by dates.

Again - wouldnt use old stuff on guests - fresh every time - and usually lots of left overs for me too hehe

When i was kid and did work experience at the milk factory - they said that the use by date was the shortest date that in normal conditions that the food would go off, but in reality that the food/milk was still very edible for many days after that.

Esp when go supermarket late at night for things that are 50p etc - as are all going out of date TODAY. Well that lot usually lasts me a few days "

Last time I blag me tea at yours then

over a year ago

When I remember back to being a child the things we used to eat days after buying them and all without a proper fridge (just a pantry) Bacon that these days peeps would turn up their noses up at but we never got sick as it was always cooked properly.

use by dates still only a guideline as far as I am concerned

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

Last time I blag me tea at yours then"

MY tea is always in date hun

hehehehehehe

over a year ago

Frugal and efficient but never cheap.

Why waste it I say, it's common practice in our house.

over a year ago

"Hee hee - i am the same with use by dates.

Esp when go supermarket late at night for things that are 50p etc - as are all going out of date TODAY. Well that lot usually lasts me a few days "

I have learnt through a training course that the initial microbial load on raw meat does not really matter so long as it is cooked long enough and at a high enough temperature to kill/destroy everything.

I love raiding the short-date stuff shelves late at night for bargains for myself as well as the pets. I tend not to go for ready meals though, as I do not know how the ingredients are handled.

Debs, if we live in the same town, we could raid supermarkets late at night together! There are a group of regulars who go into my local one every Thursday night, great fun as we tend to look out for each other!

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

What did we do before the sell by dates????? If it looked good and smelt good we ate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for canned products the mind boggles....Canning food was brought in in the 1800's by the Royal Navy originally so they could preserve meat etc.............Theoretically canned food should never go off as there is no air to contaminate it.

Thinking about it tho I wouldn't like to try some corned beef which was canned in the 1800's tho

over a year ago

Peeps need to realise there is a lot more to food safety than the sell by date!

Good food handling (no mixing of clean/dirty, raw/cooked etc.) and cleaniless of equipment are also very important.

By *entadreadMan
over a year ago

Essex

Cheap? I think you are smart!

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

I have learnt through a training course that the initial microbial load on raw meat does not really matter so long as it is cooked long enough and at a high enough temperature to kill/destroy everything.

I love raiding the short-date stuff shelves late at night for bargains for myself as well as the pets. I tend not to go for ready meals though, as I do not know how the ingredients are handled.

Debs, if we live in the same town, we could raid supermarkets late at night together! There are a group of regulars who go into my local one every Thursday night, great fun as we tend to look out for each other! "

Ready meals are EWWWWWWWW anyway!!!

Its funny that you have regulars that raid the end of date shelf

over a year ago

"Frugal and efficient but never cheap.

Why waste it I say, it's common practice in our house."

Indeed, why waste something when it is still perfectly edible?!

It pains me that supermarkets cannot give/donate their "expired" food to those in need, as they could turn round and sue them if they fall ill after eating them.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

over a year ago

I don't know what it says about me but I cannot decide which gives me the greater thrill - a message on here from a single female saying she likes the look of me and let's meet OR the big yellow half price sticker on a Tesco Finest or M&S gourmet meal.

over a year ago

"Ready meals are EWWWWWWWW anyway!!!

Its funny that you have regulars that raid the end of date shelf

"

Concur re: ready meals are pants! Except for oriental snacks like dim sums and garlic bread IMHO!

Mind you, I make better garlic bread, however, the shop-bought stuff will fill a hole in the stomach!

Yup, there is a group of saddos who go in Thurdsay evenings, and the staff would comment if I turn up on different days!

over a year ago

"Cheap? I think you are smart! "

Thank you!

over a year ago

"I don't know what it says about me but I cannot decide which gives me the greater thrill - a message on here from a single female saying she likes the look of me and let's meet OR the big yellow half price sticker on a Tesco Finest or M&S gourmet meal. "

Awwww!

Assuming you have tried and liked Tesco Finest or M&S gourmet meal, then I would say the food, as they are of known quality and are more likely to satisfy your needs.

Whereas meeting a new person, although exciting indeed, could turn out to be an utter disappointmet.

over a year ago

"It pains me that supermarkets cannot give/donate their "expired" food to those in need, as they could turn round and sue them if they fall ill after eating them.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! "

A good few years ago (when I still lived in Edinburgh) I heard about a homeless group that asked went round asking the supermarkets for the supposedly out of date/use by that day stuff.

The council vetoed the plan by upping the rent for the (empty) building that the shelter used, saying all the people preparing the food (who gave their time for free, didnt even get travel expenses) had to have food hygene certs and so on.

So now a couple of cafes open the back doors and feed the homeless with the leftovers made during the day. Saves waste for them and people get fed.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

Sooner or later, we'll be asked to have basic hygiene training before we can make anything for school fates/charity events etc...

What next after that, a HACCP plan for our kitchens?!

over a year ago

Well I never got mine Pearl so you will just have to share your mac and cheese its my fave you know so coff up some

Ohh and some of that cheesecake you made would be nice

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"Well I never got mine Pearl so you will just have to share your mac and cheese its my fave you know so coff up some

Ohh and some of that cheesecake you made would be nice

Shona

x x x "

I have not got mine either, and I am unlikely to venture into the food industry again for the near future.

Snoggy is not keen on my cheesecake, and prefers the chocolate mousse and Tiramisu instead.

Lucky for me, as I prefer cheesecake to the others!

over a year ago

Im the only one in my house that like cheesecake so I rarely buy it and I never make it cos it falls apart the rest of them like stodgy puddings with loads of sugar

I much prefer something light and savoury with just a touch of sweet - best is lemon cheesecake

I have worked in the food service industry for years (I met hubby thru it) but about 9 years ago I took a break and went to cleaning cos it was less back breaking work, less lifting and so on.

But I still love pottering about in my (tiny) kitchen concucting stuff and making the kids try it

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

If they like stodgy sweet puddings, then I would highly recommend the puddings in Lidl's, especially their syrup sponge pudding, very moreish with cream, and only takes 1 minute in the microwave.

Too big for me to eat one of my own, so I split it into two portions!

over a year ago

It pains me that supermarkets cannot give/donate their "expired" food to those in need, as they could turn round and sue them if they fall ill after eating them.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! "

Lidl's give stuff away free at the end of the day, my daughter introduced me to that in her local store.

After coming through the till area there was a box of help yourself stuff!

over a year ago

"Lidl's give stuff away free at the end of the day, my daughter introduced me to that in her local store.

After coming through the till area there was a box of help yourself stuff! "

Mine only does it on 24 Dec and 31 Dec, and it is only for a very short time window.

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Pearl, get your sexy ass to Scotland and make my dinner please xxxx

over a year ago

"Pearl, get your sexy ass to Scotland and make my dinner please xxxx"

Any good campsites about by any chance, as Snoggy and I could do a BBQ!

over a year ago

Lidl's give stuff away free at the end of the day, my daughter introduced me to that in her local store.

After coming through the till area there was a box of help yourself stuff! "

Lidls not being a shop I use I didnt know that but I will be sending hubby for a looky see - god what a cheap skate I sound

I will also be passing the info on to family who are feeling the pinch for the first time now

Now a question for all you foody people . . . . I have a triangle of soft Brie type cheese in the fridge can I use it in mac & cheese, or am I better using the cheddar for the sauce like normal??

Its all Pearls fault I now want some mac & cheese

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"Pearl, get your sexy ass to Scotland and make my dinner please xxxx

Any good campsites about by any chance, as Snoggy and I could do a BBQ! "

I dont know of any campsites hun but I have a huge field over the back from me wanna cook up a storm??

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"Lidls not being a shop I use I didnt know that but I will be sending hubby for a looky see - god what a cheap skate I sound

I will also be passing the info on to family who are feeling the pinch for the first time now

Now a question for all you foody people . . . . I have a triangle of soft Brie type cheese in the fridge can I use it in mac & cheese, or am I better using the cheddar for the sauce like normal??

Shona

x x x"

Get him to bring back some syrup sponge pudding to try!

I use any cheese to hand when making a cheese sauce, so yes to the brie. However, I would leave the rind off though, as I find it does not melt properly. Enjoy!

over a year ago

"I dont know of any campsites hun but I have a huge field over the back from me wanna cook up a storm??

Shona

x x x "

We may take you up on that!

over a year ago

I love Lidl's and shop there regularly too for the stuff that I cannot find in my local Morrisons, or for the cheaper alternatives.

over a year ago

I dont know of any campsites hun but I have a huge field over the back from me wanna cook up a storm??

Shona

x x x "

Cracking campsite at billings aquadrome . northants.

Had some good swinger camping socials there .

Got everything you need

over a year ago

After coming through the till area there was a box of help yourself stuff!

Lidls not being a shop I use I didnt know that but I will be sending hubby for a looky see - god what a cheap skate I sound

Shona

x x x"

if i had to chose a last ever meal it would be macaroni cheese ...all that lovley cheese bubbling and golden on top ...i want it now !!!!!and ive just chucked a chicken in (half price special offer in the Co-op)..that will last me for about 5 meals plus some lovely soup with the bones .......one of the bonusses about being single its so cheap to feed just the one person ....

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

Shona

x x x "

I'm up for that - tell Steven I'll wear my Hearts top, lol

over a year ago

Fmuma he says he will join you and he has plenty beer I have vodka too lol so all we need is Pearl to cook

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

Pearl its a bit rainy the now but by the time you get the car packed and collect Snoggy drive up Im sure we will have a tiny little bit of sunshine

Ohh we will even break out the leccy for you just pick up the other hungry people on you way please and I will bake up a storm of biccies

Altho Steven says no veg but he will share his rolls

Shona

x x x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im making chicken soup, i bought a whole chicken thursday and making soup out of it now, my son used to love it when he was at home. If ive got bits of left overs i quite often make fratata.

I do buy packets of things rather than whole things cause in the long run it works out cheaper when you live on your own. Yesterday i got 8 cans of tuna for the price of 4 and will stock up with more tomorrow

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"I love Lidl's and shop there regularly too for the stuff that I cannot find in my local Morrisons, or for the cheaper alternatives. "

Lidls is better for stuff like Choritzo and Salami and at decent prices

Does offers on good wines sometimes to - just to complement the meal of course

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"I love Lidl's and shop there regularly too for the stuff that I cannot find in my local Morrisons, or for the cheaper alternatives.

Lidls is better for stuff like Choritzo and Salami and at decent prices

Does offers on good wines sometimes to - just to complement the meal of course"

I used to refuse to go through the door of lidls being a snob lol then i went somewhere shopping with mother and they had one there i went in with her just to look round and had to borrow £40 as thats how much i spent lol. We dont have one here but when mother goes i always get her to get me loads of tins of tomatos and kidney beaans ect

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"I used to refuse to go through the door of lidls being a snob lol then i went somewhere shopping with mother and they had one there i went in with her just to look round and had to borrow £40 as thats how much i spent lol. We dont have one here but when mother goes i always get her to get me loads of tins of tomatos and kidney beaans ect"

It is good for tinned stuff like that

I think the cheapest worst one is Netto!!!!

HAhaha - i keep threatening to take my sister shopping there and she would rather walk around naked in the town centre than bee seen going into Netto, lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"I used to refuse to go through the door of lidls being a snob lol then i went somewhere shopping with mother and they had one there i went in with her just to look round and had to borrow £40 as thats how much i spent lol. We dont have one here but when mother goes i always get her to get me loads of tins of tomatos and kidney beaans ect

HAhaha - i keep threatening to take my sister shopping there and she would rather walk around naked in the town centre than bee seen going into Netto, lol"

Its the carrier bags with the name on that get me lol. Ive never been in a netto. But i live in tescos as you well know its an annex of my house

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

Its the carrier bags with the name on that get me lol. Ive never been in a netto. But i live in tescos as you well know its an annex of my house"

Heeheee.

Out of the big chains i prefer Tesco over Asda or Sainsburys anyway. Always seems better quality food and veg.

Had to do an Asda shop today...couldnt find a local Tesco

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"

Its the carrier bags with the name on that get me lol. Ive never been in a netto. But i live in tescos as you well know its an annex of my house

Heeheee.

Out of the big chains i prefer Tesco over Asda or Sainsburys anyway. Always seems better quality food and veg.

Had to do an Asda shop today...couldnt find a local Tesco "

Should of come to my house then lol, im sure that woman thinks im a lesbian

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

Heeheee.

Should of come to my house then lol, im sure that woman thinks im a lesbian"

hahahahaha

Thats cos SHE is!!!!

WIll come to yours next weekend then chick - its a DATE!!! hahagahhahaha xxx

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"

Heeheee.

Should of come to my house then lol, im sure that woman thinks im a lesbian

hahahahaha

Thats cos SHE is!!!!

WIll come to yours next weekend then chick - its a DATE!!! hahagahhahaha xxx"

Thats a date then

over a year ago

"I used to refuse to go through the door of lidls being a snob lol then i went somewhere shopping with mother and they had one there i went in with her just to look round and had to borrow £40 as thats how much i spent lol. We dont have one here but when mother goes i always get her to get me loads of tins of tomatos and kidney beaans ect

HAhaha - i keep threatening to take my sister shopping there and she would rather walk around naked in the town centre than bee seen going into Netto, lol"

Netto.......scandinavian for CRAP

Told a mate once that was it meant and she went and asked them....ahem !!!

over a year ago

Oh lidl....

I expect to find frank spencer there....

"Its a lidl shop" said in a frank spencer voice

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

Netto.......scandinavian for CRAP

Told a mate once that was it meant and she went and asked them....ahem !!! "

That has just made me LOL.

Now i want to go in one and see for myself!!!!

Been in both Aldi and Lidl - they are much the same really i think. Tho Lidl does have more variety with things like sausages and cheeses and stuff

Yum. Fancy some cheesy Choritzo now

over a year ago

Im NOT a sausage eater

By *oobCouple
over a year ago

Netherlands

........... anyone have experience with the "use by" date on condoms, btw ?

Got some from 1998.

( apologies in advance if this derails the thread in anyway )

By *oobCouple
over a year ago

Netherlands

..... no no, I meant 2008

over a year ago

"..... no no, I meant 2008"

Well it goes nicely with the sausage comment

But no.mine dont last that long if im lucky

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"Im NOT a sausage eater "

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"........... anyone have experience with the "use by" date on condoms, btw ?

Got some from 1998.

( apologies in advance if this derails the thread in anyway )"

I did go thru a spell a few years ago where i wasnt getting any - and yes, my big supply of condoms DID go out of date.

But once i started shagging again there were so many new and exciting condoms on the market

over a year ago

Got some from 1998.

I did go thru a spell a few years ago where i wasnt getting any - and yes, my big supply of condoms DID go out of date.

But once i started shagging again there were so many new and exciting condoms on the market

"

That long eh !!!

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Got some from 1998.

That long eh !!! "

Never EVER again!!!!

PMSL xx

over a year ago

I can emphasise....i went 11yrs once

But now the famine is over

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"I can emphasise....i went 11yrs once

But now the famine is over "

OMG!!!!!

I not been that long!!!!

Was about 18months but it FELT like a lifetime!!!!

Suddenly feels very lucky

over a year ago

OMG!!!!!

I not been that long!!!!

Suddenly feels very lucky "

Made up for it since

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

OMG!!!!!

I not been that long!!!!

Suddenly feels very lucky

Made up for it since "

Good woman!!!!

over a year ago

Got some from 1998.

( apologies in advance if this derails the thread in anyway )"

These are tested and they have to conform to the applicable standards for medical devices.

The expiry date is indicative of the effectiveness of the spemicide and the physical attributes such as elasticity of the plastic used to make the condoms.

Therefore, they may not be as effective as they are in date, in the sense that the spermicide may not kill the sperms and the plastic may break during coitus etc., etc...

The microbial load should still be low though if the packaging is still intact.

over a year ago

"I used to refuse to go through the door of lidls being a snob lol then i went somewhere shopping with mother and they had one there i went in with her just to look round and had to borrow £40 as thats how much i spent lol. We dont have one here but when mother goes i always get her to get me loads of tins of tomatos and kidney beaans ect"

Some of the shoppers at mine were definitely out of place early last year, and I could tell they did not usually shop at Lidl's, being too well dressed and all that!

I subscribe to their news letter so I get informed about forthcoming goodies, food and non-food wise.

Can't wait for the French food week again, as the frozen scallop gratins are really nice indeed!

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"

Some of the shoppers at mine were definitely out of place early last year, and I could tell they did not usually shop at Lidl's, being too well dressed and all that!

I subscribe to their news letter so I get informed about forthcoming goodies, food and non-food wise.

Can't wait for the French food week again, as the frozen scallop gratins are really nice indeed! "

oooooooooooooh whens that then????

LOL

i am starving here- can smell dinner cooking nect door and you lot all talking of food!!!!

LOL

Post new Message to Thread