Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Council tax

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Had the letter to say its yet gone up again but services reduced .

Then they try and justify the increases by saying we have to pay more for the ones we keep.

The services most needed have been cut yet again But i have noticed they have again revamped the main council building.

It now looks like a gents urinal

Im extremely hacked off.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

yes ive had me letter as well

and yes its gone up again

and yes they have cut the services

they carnt even empty our blue boxes propperly without making a mess

and yes the council building looks just like a mens urinal

all that green paint and glass

very fetching NOT

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"yes ive had me letter as well

very fetching NOT"

hope I find the right place to have a pee the next time I'm driving through Tamworth

over a year ago

Yes I was reading mine and and increase for police of £130 ? you should see the local cop shop is bristling with Mercedes and even a Lexus FFS.

All we ever seem to get is an increase in yobs getting away with things so cannot see why they need so much as they seem to be making more from motoring fines every year.

over a year ago

What really gets to me about local government is that we, the taxpayer, have absolutely no way of redressing the levies they put on us. We cannot go and argue with the councillors to justify the increases and we simply have to take it on the chin and pay up. Why even bother to tell us there is an increase or what they are wasting our money on, it's not like we can do fuck all about it, is it?

over a year ago

They are now talking about chipping our wheelie bins too so that if they're overweight they can bill us extra on top of council tax, fuck that i'm swapping with mr smith down the road so when i get a letter i'll say wrong house and if we all swap they can't do sod all

over a year ago

Even easier would be to say, "Not my rubbish. When I put my bin out it was half empty so someone else must have put their crap in my bin. Now if your binmen came and collected our bin from our back garden like they used to in the old days....."

over a year ago

Yes they've increased mine too but no mention of the reduction i shall get to cover the constant repairworks for my car (and bicycle with a flat yet again) that is damaged by the shoddy roads i have to drive on, time our local councils were audited properly and they talk to us, the people that matter as we are the ones being ripped off for nearly a thousand bloody quid per year for rubbish service and that includes the new new food bins, dustmen coming fortnightly and the expectation that we should take rubbish to the local tip as we cant put black bags out so whatever you do, dont waste time redecorating nor springcleaning

over a year ago

My local police spent £30,000 on a suburu (i think) so that they can chase criminals etc in fast cars, but they smashed it up within a week, all paid for by hard working tax payers

over a year ago

"Yes I was reading mine and and increase for police of £130 ? you should see the local cop shop is bristling with Mercedes and even a Lexus FFS.

All we ever seem to get is an increase in yobs getting away with things so cannot see why they need so much as they seem to be making more from motoring fines every year. "

oops i saw your comment and left one but forgot to click quote

check out the £30,000 police car that lasted a week

over a year ago

Life is never fair, and if we truly believe we are hard done by it in this country, then we have the option to immigrate. The choice is ours.

over a year ago

"Life is never fair, and if we truly believe we are hard done by it in this country, then we have the option to immigrate. The choice is ours. "

been there tried it twice, america then australia, unless your rolling in money you aint got a chance

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Council tax is a rip off and its VERY frustrating that you cant do feck all about it.

Makes me laugh, if two adults are sharing, they pay full cost. If more are sharing - they still only pay full cost, but for a singleton - you gotta pay 3/4!!!

I dont NEED my bin collecting every fortnight as i dont generate that much rubbish. Once a month would be sufficuient - same for the recycling bin.

Yet the family across the road (Who DO use my bin and always ask) who have 5 kids, create lots of rubbish.

And the bin men usually come when it is time for us to go to work and their truck blocks us in our close so we gotta try beat them and leave for work early, or end up in a very bad mood when you have to sit there and wait til they done all the bins in the close

lol - i dont mind having to pay council tax, but make it fair!!!

over a year ago

We shouldn't have to leave the country to be treated with a bit of bloody respect from our government. I am so sick of bureaucrats thinking that I exist purely so that they can play their little power games with my life.

I've always been anti-establishment anyway and I've never trusted antone in offices of authority because I know just how twisted the human mind can become if given absolute power to do as they pleased. Hitler proves that point.

over a year ago

Come on guys, they need to pay for the shit loads of salt/grit they use on all the pavements, B-roads and side streets when it snows

You can always challenge your banding - see Martin Lewis's website.

over a year ago

I have always thought that you should pay based on what you use.

I also think they should provide a bill each year something along the lines of:

You have X amount of people in you house creating X amount of rubbish cost £***

You get your path cleared/grass cut costing £***

You use subsidised bus services costing £***

And so on, now yes for some people it would be more expensive but for the people who are not council tenants and not really using council services it would work out cheaper.

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"Come on guys, they need to pay for the shit loads of salt/grit they use on all the pavements, B-roads and side streets when it snows

You can always challenge your banding - see Martin Lewis's website."

More like the big pay checks of the managers and hangers on in our local council.

over a year ago

"yes ive had me letter as well

very fetching NOT

hope I find the right place to have a pee the next time I'm driving through Tamworth "

Feel free to pee in the council building

As for emigrating because i dont like it. why the hell should i.

Born and bred here and have every right to moan about unfair costs put on those who dont use as many services as some.

And then feel we have to fight for the things we DO need.

over a year ago

Council Tax is one of the things that makes me rage around this time of year.

we have not had our letter yet, but i am expecting an increase.

I just find is so unfair that it is based on the value of the home rather than the amount of people or the use of the services.

We have already paid out more to buy our home, so why we are penalised for living in it i do not understand.

A single person with loads of children, living in a smaller house will get far more use from all the services than we will, but not only will they have a lower bill, but they will get a 25 percent discount too!

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"but not only will they have a lower bill, but they will get a 25 percent discount too!

"

I am single and my bill is not lower - apart from the fact i am in band D so others in higher bands will have bigger bills.

And i have to pay 75% of the full cost. There is one of me - HALF of a couple - so why should i pay 75%??????

TUT - cheeses me off

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Jay has to pay £2400 a year (it was that last year) and theres only him there

over a year ago

"but not only will they have a lower bill, but they will get a 25 percent discount too!

I am single and my bill is not lower - apart from the fact i am in band D so others in higher bands will have bigger bills.

And i have to pay 75% of the full cost. There is one of me - HALF of a couple - so why should i pay 75%??????

TUT - cheeses me off "

I said a single person in a smaller house.

However, if you live in a house alone - then fair do, you too are paying over the odds.

my example refered to a single person with lots ofchildren!

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

TUT - cheeses me off

However, if you live in a house alone - then fair do, you too are paying over the odds.

my example refered to a single person with lots ofchildren!"

oooooooooooooops- missed the bit of lots of children!!!

Well if they are single with lots of kids - they probably dont pay ANY council tax as would be on housing benefits etc.

Child benefit.

Working tax credit.

Family allowance.

Child care support.

What ever else they get free.

Council tax is just a small part of pissing me offness in those cases, lol

over a year ago

TUT - cheeses me off

Well if they are single with lots of kids - they probably dont pay ANY council tax as would be on housing benefits etc.

Child benefit.

Working tax credit.

Family allowance.

Child care support.

Council tax is just a small part of pissing me offness in those cases, lol"

lol that is a whole different rant of mine!

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"......................Child care support.

Council tax is just a small part of pissing me offness in those cases, lol

lol that is a whole different rant of mine! "

LOL

Me too!!!!! hehehehehehehe

Lets not get started eh x

over a year ago

It seems our local councils try and justify wasting money all the time with some feeble excuse.

We had some monstosity erected in the church square (big canopy) in order to attract visitors and provide shelter for any thing going on.

Its hardly used and looks an eyesore.

Maybe if previous councils hadnt ripped the heart out of the place years ago we would have something worth seeing .

But they went ahead and removed most of our ancient history.

Think they called it progress.

Love to see them do it in stratford etc.

And we had to pay for it out of our own pockets.

over a year ago

council tax always gets me in a rage!!

i live alone with one child get 25% reduction im never in to flush the bloody toilet and my bin lasts me a month as i recycle a lot.

next door has 4 adults all working they usually use my bin i dont mind i recycle a lot for them but its the amount i pay and the amount they pay.

im exempt this year cause im a student but when i was working i still had to pay when i was on working tax and child tax

they really need to overhaul the full system and make it fairer x

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

it is not just your own tax you should consider

just think when you walk down the road and pass another house every few seconds

they get say £1200 each one you pass

and thats road after road after road

look in your local A to Z at all the roads in your borough and the total income they must get is astronomical

i think they also rake in money from parking fines etc

i wonder what they do with it all

i guess it like the BBC who rake in £3,500,000,000

yes thats three and a half billion pounds

and roll out dads army and murder she wrote repeats

council tax does seem expensive just so your bin is emptied once a fortnight , and a police car drives by at 90 miles an hour 5 times a year

oh......... dont forget the dog eared books in the library

over a year ago

"council tax always gets me in a rage!!

i live alone with one child get 25% reduction im never in to flush the bloody toilet and my bin lasts me a month as i recycle a lot.

next door has 4 adults all working they usually use my bin i dont mind i recycle a lot for them but its the amount i pay and the amount they pay.

im exempt this year cause im a student but when i was working i still had to pay when i was on working tax and child tax

they really need to overhaul the full system and make it fairer x"

How can the council decide what's fair when they don't know you let other people fill your bin up. They can only assume that the refuse in your bin is your refuse. I'm not having a pop, just pointing out that a council can only act upon what it finds and set their charges accordingly. They have neither the time nor the inclination to knock on everyone's door and ask, "Did you pack this bin yourself?"

over a year ago

How can the council decide what's fair when they don't know you let other people fill your bin up. They can only assume that the refuse in your bin is your refuse. I'm not having a pop, just pointing out that a council can only act upon what it finds and set their charges accordingly. They have neither the time nor the inclination to knock on everyone's door and ask, "Did you pack this bin yourself?" "

They should ya know as we pay enough for that privilage

over a year ago

TUT - cheeses me off

Child benefit.

Working tax credit.

Family allowance.

Child care support.

Council tax is just a small part of pissing me offness in those cases, lol"

Thats a bit harsh you can't tar all single people with lots of kids with the same brush, my brother-in-law was killed and my sister ended up (a single mother with 3kids) she gets working tax yes and child tax but cuz she works she isn't entitled to housing benefit or council tax benefit. any parent of any income can apply for working tax whether there is one or 2 parents, up to a nth amount of cash, u can't tar all single parent families with the same brush, my sister and brother-in-law both grafters until he died they paid tax in so only fair my sister gets it back to pay for her kids nursery so she can go to work

over a year ago

How can the council decide what's fair when they don't know you let other people fill your bin up. They can only assume that the refuse in your bin is your refuse. I'm not having a pop, just pointing out that a council can only act upon what it finds and set their charges accordingly. They have neither the time nor the inclination to knock on everyone's door and ask, "Did you pack this bin yourself?" "

well they can stop chargin me council tax and il take my rubbish to the dump myself or burn what little amount i have out the back lol !

my point is the amount i pay and they amount they pay for services used. i dont use the library so shouldnt need to pay for that and other services i dont use my point is once again its an unfair system of taxation xx

over a year ago

"It seems our local councils try and justify wasting money all the time with some feeble excuse.

We had some monstosity erected in the church square (big canopy) in order to attract visitors and provide shelter for any thing going on.

Its hardly used and looks an eyesore.

Maybe if previous councils hadnt ripped the heart out of the place years ago we would have something worth seeing .

But they went ahead and removed most of our ancient history.

Think they called it progress.

Love to see them do it in stratford etc.

And we had to pay for it out of our own pockets. "

aaarrr yes the giant canopy

a waiste of time money and effort

the only time it yets used is twice a week when the market is on

by 2 stall holders

its a flamin eyes and should never have been out up

but its seen as progress in the eyes of our council

tamworth is a pretty little town with tons of history

well it would have been a pretty little town if the council hadnt ripped the heart out of it and out up all those 60's builds

just makes it look ugly

but the council think they are in proving the town and no dought its the same in many towns up and down the country

nice to know what our council tax is being spent on

it would have been nicde to be asked

sorry rant over

over a year ago

We had a fairer system .It was called poll tax..

Worked lovely. Each adult paid the same.

But seems people did`t like that and we had riots.

So we went back to a house tax and people still do`t like it.

Local elections due soon so vote in the next lot of money wasters.

Been paying one tax or another on my house for over 20 years and the services always cost more for less.

Nothing we can do about it.

Post new Message to Thread