Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Ashes (winter) 2013

Jump to newest

By *izzy Rascall OP   Man
over a year ago

Cardiff

ITS OK YOU DONT HAVE TO TELL US YOU HATE CRICKET - JUST LEAVE BY THE SAME DOOR YOU CAME IN WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING

OK, so thats that out the way.

The Ashes start again this evening in AUS, if your a cricket lover and English/South African this must excite you.

I think ENG will bring The Ashes back home but I dont think it will be a 5-0 whitewash, far from it.

I also think Mitchell Johnson will have a little bit more control with the ball.

Hopefully Cook can dominate again and if he fails the top order and middle order can sort it out.

Will be a good series I think

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

We will be up late watching it. The Aussies are improving under Lehman and it is going to be very close.

We hope Mitchell Johnson doesn't improve as the bar my army song for him is brilliant.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Why English & South African? Confused.com.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Why English & South African? Confused.com. "

My tongue in cheek humour.

Look at the history of some of the players born/brought up in SA, well I suppose you can add Ireland to that list too.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"We will be up late watching it. The Aussies are improving under Lehman and it is going to be very close.

We hope Mitchell Johnson doesn't improve as the bar my army song for him is brilliant."

I do fear Mitch a bit, he's due some revenge on us and I suppose now's his time.

I think we'll have too much for them but it will be close.

I dont have sky so might listen to the first few overs, see if anyone does a Harmy and stick it straight to 2nd slip

over a year ago

i cannot wait

its close now i can almost taste it

bring home the little urn boys (not morecambe & wise)

over a year ago

"We will be up late watching it. The Aussies are improving under Lehman and it is going to be very close.

We hope Mitchell Johnson doesn't improve as the bar my army song for him is brilliant.

I do fear Mitch a bit, he's due some revenge on us and I suppose now's his time.

I think we'll have too much for them but it will be close.

I dont have sky so might listen to the first few overs, see if anyone does a Harmy and stick it straight to 2nd slip"

i have sky but will still have test match special on the wireless with aggers etc.

its the only way watch cricket even live i have the tms on the radio in my ear piece

over a year ago

"Why English & South African? Confused.com.

Look at the history of some of the players born/brought up in SA, well I suppose you can add Ireland to that list too.

"

Sorry - blonde moment just then

over a year ago

Cardiff

While your waiting for it, to get you in the mood and to have a good laugh try and find 'The 12th Man' on youtube.

Its an aussie comic called Billy Birmingham who impersonates the Channel 9 commentators (Richie Benaud etc).

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Why English & South African? Confused.com.

Its The English and Wales cricket board but they wont pick any from this side of the bridge.

James Harris left Glammy last year to increase his chance of England caps and before he bowled a ball at Middlesex he got drafted into some squad

Sorry - blonde moment just then "

over a year ago

I will be up late watching. Had the pleasure of being there for the first day at Durham.

im more fearful of Haddin and Watson dont think our batsmen with struggle with there bowling attack.

3-1 England with a bore draw somewhere in the middle

over a year ago

Hope we stuff them in their own back yard

over a year ago

Cardiff

I was at The Swalec when we beat them in the ODI in September, completley off my face but I think it was a good game, 600 runs almost in total I think.

over a year ago

"ITS OK YOU DONT HAVE TO TELL US YOU HATE CRICKET - JUST LEAVE BY THE SAME DOOR YOU CAME IN WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING

The Ashes start again this evening in AUS, if your a cricket lover and English/South African this must excite you.

I think ENG will bring The Ashes back home but I dont think it will be a 5-0 whitewash, far from it.

I also think Mitchell Johnson will have a little bit more control with the ball.

Hopefully Cook can dominate again and if he fails the top order and middle order can sort it out.

Will be a good series I think"

Is this not just rounders wi a posh bat ?

over a year ago

Cardiff

I dont rate Steve Finn much he seems to have no aggresion what soever and I find that odd for a tall lanky (supposidly) quicky.

I think Rankin will do ok and Jimmy, Broad and Swann will do the usual and take it in turns to skittle them

over a year ago

Cardiff

"ITS OK YOU DONT HAVE TO TELL US YOU HATE CRICKET - JUST LEAVE BY THE SAME DOOR YOU CAME IN WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING

Will be a good series I think

Is this not just rounders wi a posh bat ? "

Nastiest game Ive ever played.

Tea and Sandwiches my arse,it can be pretty horrible.

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

Yup looking forward to it but won't be staying up all night watching it. More like a catch up first thing in the morning.

I'm not the biggest cricket fan by a long way but I do enjoy the ebb and flow of us vs the Aussies especially as we've won a lot in recent years, four out of 5 ashes if I'm right but 3 of them at home.

Tend to like the glen McGrath way of thinking so 5 - 0 series win to the England & Wales Cricket Board

over a year ago

"While your waiting for it, to get you in the mood and to have a good laugh try and find 'The 12th Man' on youtube.

Its an aussie comic called Billy Birmingham who impersonates the Channel 9 commentators (Richie Benaud etc)."

Geez - that's going back a bit; mid nineties? Wasi a crim? & a pint for me-and-dad etc........

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

He bowls it to the left........

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Yup looking forward to it but won't be staying up all night watching it. More like a catch up first thing in the morning.

I'm not the biggest cricket fan by a long way but I do enjoy the ebb and flow of us vs the Aussies especially as we've won a lot in recent years, four out of 5 ashes if I'm right but 3 of them at home.

Tend to like the glen McGrath way of thinking so 5 - 0 series win to the England & Wales Cricket Board "

Im sure TMS on 5 live extra are doing a thing where they will play the entire days (our nights) play, during the next day

over a year ago

Cardiff

"While your waiting for it, to get you in the mood and to have a good laugh try and find 'The 12th Man' on youtube.

Its an aussie comic called Billy Birmingham who impersonates the Channel 9 commentators (Richie Benaud etc).

Geez - that's going back a bit; mid nineties? Wasi a crim? & a pint for me-and-dad etc........"

Soon he'll have a scar

Theres a very good documentry on youtube to do with Bill Murray (think thats his name) and his love of pigeons too.

The best bit of the cd's was when Merv took a hattrick

over a year ago

Cardiff

"He bowls it to the left........"

KP joining in on the boundry doing it is class.

Also MJ having a bash at Jimmy saying how 'your not chirping now cos ya not taking wickets', Jimmy runs in and knocks the other guys off stump clean over haha.

Another good one was Freddie to Tino best 'Watch the windows' after a big swing and miss.

over a year ago

I think it'll be real close. The 3-0 summer series didn't exactly tell the story tbh - it all came down to a couple of sessions & a very handy bit of rain!

Boyd Rankin reminds me so much of a young ooooo aaaaa Glen McGrath!!

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

"He bowls it to the left........"

He bowls to the right........

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

Is anyone else watching tonight?

By *ittall2020Man
over a year ago

Norwich

Am listening.... 5 minutes to go....

over a year ago

I'm off to oz next week hope to catch a match or two

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

Great start!

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

watson won't last long, he'll get his legs in the way lol

By *heScotandthegirlCouple
over a year ago

London & Edinburgh

A confused Scot writes-

I thought the Ashes was played in the summer and England won?

By *horltzMan
over a year ago

heysham

Its gonna be closer than the english series , should / could be a nail biter , me dads going and not taking me !!!! Boohoo

Will be a good series I think"

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

it's a funny timing thing Oz have it over christmas during their summer and we'll have it over here again in summer 2015........... i think lol

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"He bowls it to the left........

KP joining in on the boundry doing it is class.

Also MJ having a bash at Jimmy saying how 'your not chirping now cos ya not taking wickets', Jimmy runs in and knocks the other guys off stump clean over haha.

Another good one was Freddie to Tino best 'Watch the windows' after a big swing and miss."

think it was rod marsh to botham, 'how's your wife and my kids?' so botham replies 'the wife is fine but the kids are retarded!'

over a year ago

Looks like it's going to be the tale of the summer, Aussie top order failing and there tail wagging and saving them from a complete collapse

By *ustmaybeMan
over a year ago

Northwood

A fired up Mitchell Johnson bowling to our top order could be interesting...and great to see Stuart Broad taking a 5fer. Good days(night) cricket.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"A confused Scot writes-

I thought the Ashes was played in the summer and England won?"

Yeah they did, rather than miss a year out they decided to have a go again.

The players will know each other even better again once the tour is over, 5 tests and a number of odi's and T20's.

over a year ago

Cardiff

Not a bad start for England, great for Stuart Broad who has been copping some right stick but England have let them off the hook a bit.

I wouldnt take too much notice of the first inning until ENG have had a go on it

over a year ago

"A confused Scot writes-

I thought the Ashes was played in the summer and England won?"

Yes - but this current series would normally be played next year - but it would be followed too closely by the world cup - so they brought it forward a year.

over a year ago

"Not a bad start for England, great for Stuart Broad who has been copping some right stick but England have let them off the hook a bit.

I wouldnt take too much notice of the first inning until ENG have had a go on it"

problem is, the pitch did nothing with the old ball, the bowlers just couldnt get anything from it.

nearly 40 overs without a wicket is usual at the Gabba, so 3 wickets from the new ball was a great return before the close of play.

hopefully, the early morning can get the new/old ball moving a little and get the last couple out cheaply

over a year ago

Unless your name happens to be Nasser Hussain, the team that wins the toss at the GABBA generally bats first & wins the test so, England did really well to win the first day 2-1, & in some ways, it's not such a bad thing that there's still three Ozzie's to bat first thing, but tomorrow could well be the key day in the 1st test; if England can get a lead with 3 or 4 wickets to spare, that could set up a victory, but if not, it's not easy batting last at the GABBA, especially if there's rain forecasted!

over a year ago

Bit of a sentimental day for me. 3 years ago today I was on the beach in Port Douglas, snorkelling at the barrier reef and drinking cold beer a week away from watching KP get a double hundred at Adelaide. Hmmmm memories....

over a year ago

"Bit of a sentimental day for me. 3 years ago today I was on the beach in Port Douglas, snorkelling at the barrier reef and drinking cold beer a week away from watching KP get a double hundred at Adelaide. Hmmmm memories.... "

Did you head across the ditch to the mainland?

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Not a bad start for England, great for Stuart Broad who has been copping some right stick but England have let them off the hook a bit.

I wouldnt take too much notice of the first inning until ENG have had a go on it"

All out for 136.

We had them on 6-136 and let them off the hook.

over a year ago

I'm not surprised that the Ozzie's have the lead but - a huge lead?

That has 'game over' written all over it!!

over a year ago

Whilst it was pretty horrendous today I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, England are notoriously poor in the first test of any series but come back to win far more often than not.

Besides we've already seen that Aussie batting still isn't up to much, the old addage of 'class is permanent, form is temporary' springs to mind

over a year ago

Cardiff

Just saw the wickets.

Shit Shot Selections, getting caught with a bouncer over leg stump, wtf, just let it go, getting caught on the legs from and Offy, far too many leg side catches.

I only saw one wicket where someone was having a go at a ball.

Pretty piss poor effort that as Richie would say

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Appalling lack of application by England. Too much believing our own hype.

Only real hope for us in this test is that weather intervenes.

Having played and watched cricket in Aus, (this is Mr!)I can tell you that the pitches are faster and the ball comes on with fairly consistent bounce, so I don't think we have many excuses , although credit to the Aussie bowlers.

It can hose it down in Brisbane and be dry in 20 mins so its a lottery really.

We have to stick with the batters as there's not a lot of alternative. If Bresnan is fit then he may give some control to the bowling but he's not had any game time and Adelaide will be a drop in pitch , so no one knows what it will do. By the way I'm really disappointed that the Adelaide Oval has been ripped apart for Aussie rules. I have always enjoyed watching cricket there.

Players have a "purple patch " and sometimes they get worked out by the opposition. Seems like Trott is finding that but he's not alone.

over a year ago

never been so angry as I was with Trott....total lack of discipline at a key moment in the match

By *rotic funMan
over a year ago

Pinner

funny enough England ware balled out for 136

over a year ago

Cardiff

Second test gets under way this evening.

I hope the players don't calm themselves down as Cook has suggested, keep the insults flowing, they are all grown men.

Hopefully England can win this one and pull it level, hopefully Mitch trods on a ball in the warm up

By *ustmaybeMan
over a year ago

Northwood

If Eng are relying on an Aus player to hurt himself in the warm up, doesn't say much about their chances!

Bresnan in, Root at 3 and Ballance at 6.

Win the toss and bat for 2 days!

over a year ago

Cardiff

"If Eng are relying on an Aus player to hurt himself in the warm up, doesn't say much about their chances!

Bresnan in, Root at 3 and Ballance at 6.

Win the toss and bat for 2 days!"

I'd just like to point out the opinions expressed here are mine and nothing to do with The ECB

Ballance wont play I dont think, that would be launching him in at the deep end.

Win the toss and bat win the toss and bat

over a year ago

just hope Bresnan is fit enough as he is our lucky mascot.We have never lost when he is playing in the side.

over a year ago

Bresnan in pietersen to 3 bell in at 4

Cook

Carberry

Pietersen

Bell

Root

Prior

Bresnan

Broad

Swann

Anderson

Tremlet

over a year ago

Cardiff

Alastair Cook (C)

Michael Carberry

Joe Root

Kevin Pietersen

Ian Bell

Ben Stokes

Matt Prior (W)

Stuart Broad

Graeme Swann

James Anderson

Monty Panesar

Not a bad days play, would be even better if we could catch the fricking ball

over a year ago

Cardiff

Forget it we've had it, The Strayens made 570-9.

Unless it pisses it down we are going to lose this one, I cant see us batting for long enough

over a year ago

They just have to bat all day tomorrow/tonight and the match is a draw they aren't going to get 2 innings in in 2 days

over a year ago

"They just have to bat all day tomorrow/tonight and the match is a draw they aren't going to get 2 innings in in 2 days"

Oh and obviously have enough runs to avoid the follow on

over a year ago

What a utterly gutless performance that was last night. No passion hustle pace aggression or venom in the bowling.

Haddin hitting Swanny for numerous 6s with ease.

It's time for our batsman to pull the bowling line up out the sticky stuff for a change.

Nice flat wicket is screaming for runs from KP Bell and Stokes.

We need a good 500 on the board or its over for us.

DIG IN LADS!

over a year ago

Right another shoeing at the hands of the Aussie's, but let's look at the positives, 2nd innings over 300 runs eventually in the series and all our top 6 batsmen have all got scores over 50 now so maybe a bit of form going into the 3rd test on Friday, just need the bowlers to pick it up now

over a year ago

"Right another shoeing at the hands of the Aussie's, but let's look at the positives, 2nd innings over 300 runs eventually in the series and all our top 6 batsmen have all got scores over 50 now so maybe a bit of form going into the 3rd test on Friday, just need the bowlers to pick it up now"

hopefully the 300 runs is a sign of some hope heading into the next match on Friday- need some more disciplined batting still

over a year ago

Cardiff

Another positive - No one else has gone home, this isnt Anti Trott by any means.

We are not going to win the next test either, the pitch is too quick and our track history is poor there; I stand to be corrected

over a year ago

Have been sobbing in my Tetley's bitter since day 2 of the first Test....will be a raving alcoholic by the end of the final Test if England don't make a decent fist of at least on match.....even one innings......

over a year ago

How did that song about Mitchell Johnson go, again?

Ashes to ashes?

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

*ahem*

OP you may have been right when you said 5-0 whitewash but think it'll be us coming back with our tails between our legs especially after last nights performance

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

ooops .. i dont think they all turned up ... just sent some ringers to fill the spaces

over a year ago

Mentally, the Aussies have it over England & I'd be surprise if it isn't 4-0 by tomorrow morning!

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

"Mentally, the Aussies have it over England & I'd be surprise if it isn't 4-0 by tomorrow morning!"

I think you're right. The Aussies seemed to have a greater hunger & venom in them to regain it. Our approach seemed a bit limp & to be honest crossing the line from confident to arrogant at times

Post new Message to Thread