Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Drug addicts

Jump to newest

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

I think we should fund their habit - house them but prevent them from having children - keep them separate from the rest of society and provide rehab if they express a desire to get clean - this would stop some of the drug dealers making a lot of money but wouldn't be a complete solution I know but may help society as they wouldn't need to mug or burgle or prostitute themselves to get drugs - any ideas on this? Z

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

one half of me says no they chose to be an addict no one forced them but the other side says we need to do somethin the country overun its costin the tax payer a fortune and maybe in the long term thats the best idea.

there was thing in paper up here on sun about an american woman who pays them 200 pounds to be sterilised and i think she is doin sterling work. she was a foster mother to children with addict parents. xx

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

It's a nice thought but I'm not sure how you stop them having kids... especially when two methadone addicts had their fertility treatment funded not so long ago... there are some really stupid do-gooders around

over a year ago

If you want to stop drug dealers then the easiest way is to legalise all drugs and put contro of the sellers and proceeds in the hands of the government. They already do it with two of the worst drugs you can have, tobacco and alcohol, both of which are addictive and lethal in different ways. The biggest threat that some so called dangerous drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, and speed have are the way they are 'diluted' with other substances to increase profits for drug dealers who are can't be held responsible for their actions.

over a year ago

"one half of me says no they chose to be an addict no one forced them but the other side says we need to do somethin the country overun its costin the tax payer a fortune and maybe in the long term thats the best idea.

there was thing in paper up here on sun about an american woman who pays them 200 pounds to be sterilised and i think she is doin sterling work. she was a foster mother to children with addict parents. xx"

No-one chooses to be an addict. Very few substances are instantly addictive and every addictive substance starts off with a perceived benefit, otherwise no-one would ever take them again, or even try them to begin with. Many people turn to drugs in moments of stress, (most on here will go and get pissed when they feel down at some time), and while some substances are 'chemically' addictive, there are many seeminly innocent activities that can also become addictive to the point where they become a problem. Gambling is an obvious example, but something as simple as exercise can be difficult to let go off (just look at the footballers who suffer depression when their careers end). Many people make mistakes, turn down the wrong road, and then find it difficult to turn back. Drugs are just another wrong turning, but one that's more difficult to reverse back up

over a year ago

not being funny here, but everyone knows what happens if you take drugs, whether they be soft or hard drugs we all know the outcome !!!!!! yes

so my question is if you know you are most likely to end up with a habit, especially if you take the hard drug route then why take them in the first place !!! COZ YOU KNOW YOU ARE GONNA BE Addicted.

So you bring it on yourself free choice !!

me I would give them all a kneedle from which the high you got there was no way back.

My opinion only lost to many mates to drugs and have no time for them or the saddo's that use them.

I could go on !!! but won't

over to you guys

over a year ago

"not being funny here, but everyone knows what happens if you take drugs, whether they be soft or hard drugs we all know the outcome !!!!!! yes

so my question is if you know you are most likely to end up with a habit, especially if you take the hard drug route then why take them in the first place !!! COZ YOU KNOW YOU ARE GONNA BE Addicted.

me I would give them all a kneedle from which the high you got there was no way back.

My opinion only lost to many mates to drugs and have no time for them or the saddo's that use them.

over to you guys

"

My sister was a heroin addict for many years and took drugs because something terrible happened to her when she was young.

Drugs were her way of blanking what had happened to her.

She eventually got of the drugs after going into rehab and when she got out her partner took her out of the area she lived and away from her past so there was no temptation to go back to drugs,she lives on the western islands,Scotland,so there is absalutly no temptation there for her.

Now i have seen what drugs to a person and yes she probably did know she was going to be an addict,but people need to know not all addicts choose to be junkies.

over a year ago

And just for the record i have never touched drugs in my life,after seeing for myself what drugs do to you and what you will do for drugs.

over a year ago

Never touched a drug that wasn't prescribed by a doctor.

However I have always known what happens where drugs are concerned and although I have great sympathy for your sister and I really do!!! we all know the consequencers of drugs. So it is free choice and no matter what your state of mind you have all the facts and you make a choice !!

Unfortunately some people make the wrong choice and because of that wrong choice a lot more people have to suffer .. from family to the person who's car radio got robbed !!!

I may have views that are to draconian for a lot of people but I stand by them !!

I have seen so many lives wasted by drugs and I mean whole family's!!

that this blight on our I have no time for above all others.

So not really interested in the what about alchahol or fags brigade.

Again this is my own personal opinion and I dont wish to cause offfence to anyone.

Andy

over a year ago

"not being funny here, but everyone knows what happens if you take drugs, whether they be soft or hard drugs we all know the outcome !!!!!! yes

over to you guys

"

I've heard that "Lost mates to.....have no time for them" line before, usually by the kind of people who have never even smoked and so have no idea what an addiction is like. So many of these people need just a bit of support and encouragement from the people who can understand how far the fall from grace has been, who can see how 'sad' it is that someone who once had so much going for them is now lost, who would wish to see them become the person they once were again.

I saw a friend who was superfit, a great footballer, and never even smoked a cigarette, become a heroin addict, and because I knew what he could've have been I tried to help him pull away from it trying to get him to train with my team. I think some people just like to see a 'fall' like that, maybe from jealousy, or some kind of selfishness (one less person in their way)

over a year ago

You are free to express your view like i am mine and like i said i have seem first hand what drugs do,not just to that person but families too,and the other people who are affected by the crimes these people so to get hold of drugs.

But what you have got to realise is there are reasons why some people turn to drugs..

Yes these people have a choice,but they are not always in the right state of mind because of things that have happened to them have made them turn to drugs,that is why some of them do turn to drugs.

Dont get me wrong i do not condome drug use,have never or would never take drugs.

over a year ago

over to you guys

I've heard that "Lost mates to.....have no time for them" line before, usually by the kind of people who have never even smoked and so have no idea what an addiction is like. So many of these people need just a bit of support and encouragement from the people who can understand how far the fall from grace has been, who can see how 'sad' it is that someone who once had so much going for them is now lost, who would wish to see them become the person they once were again.

I saw a friend who was superfit, a great footballer, and never even smoked a cigarette, become a heroin addict, and because I knew what he could've have been I tried to help him pull away from it trying to get him to train with my team. I think some people just like to see a 'fall' like that, maybe from jealousy, or some kind of selfishness (one less person in their way)"

So I am jealous !!! sorry my friend but you are in cloud cuckoo land !!!!

It all comes down to free choice

and lets be honest everyone knows what happens if you drink,smoke or take drugs.

And for me the worst route to take is drugs.

And as I have never taken drugs what kind of person does that make me !!

I am not going to get in an arguement here as we all have our own opinions but for me at the end of the day we all have a choice and we all see what happens if we choose drugs !!!! end of.

over a year ago

"Never touched a drug that wasn't prescribed by a doctor.

However I have always known what happens where drugs are concerned and although I have great sympathy for your sister and I really do!!! we all know the consequencers of drugs. So it is free choice and no matter what your state of mind you have all the facts and you make a choice !!

Unfortunately some people make the wrong choice and because of that wrong choice a lot more people have to suffer .. from family to the person who's car radio got robbed !!!

I may have views that are to draconian for a lot of people but I stand by them !!

Again this is my own personal opinion and I dont wish to cause offfence to anyone.

Andy

"

If you're not interested in the 'what about alcohol/fags issue, and think that prescription drugs are different somehow to heroin, cocaine, etc then you have no idea what drugs really are.

Whether a subsatnce is deemed legal or not by the government has nothing to do with it. I don't think Heath Ledger was even taking them long enough to be addicted to what he took, but they had a much worse effect.

over a year ago

"If you're not interested in the 'what about alcohol/fags issue, and think that prescription drugs are different somehow to heroin, cocaine, etc then you have no idea what drugs really are.

Whether a subsatnce is deemed legal or not by the government has nothing to do with it. I don't think Heath Ledger was even taking them long enough to be addicted to what he took, but they had a much worse effect."

I'm with you on this one... I was taught in my forensics degree about the order of these things and alcohol and tabacco are actually way worse than some others such as cannabis, ecstacy... in fact they are so far up the list (particularly alcohol) they are right up the arse of some things like heroin.

Just because they are legal means nothing. If alchol had been invented in this day and age it would have instantly become illegal. It's just that it is such a simple and natural molecule that it was found ages ago and therefore has remained socially acceptable.

over a year ago

over to you guys

I saw a friend who was superfit, a great footballer, and never even smoked a cigarette, become a heroin addict, and because I knew what he could've have been I tried to help him pull away from it trying to get him to train with my team. I think some people just like to see a 'fall' like that, maybe from jealousy, or some kind of selfishness (one less person in their way)

and lets be honest everyone knows what happens if you drink,smoke or take drugs.

I am not going to get in an arguement here as we all have our own opinions but for me at the end of the day we all have a choice and we all see what happens if we choose drugs !!!! end of."

I also said before my sister became an addict that i would have no time for them untill it happened to us,she turned to drugs because she couldnt cope with what happened to her...

I think maybe you need to take your blinkers off..

over a year ago

"If you're not interested in the 'what about alcohol/fags issue, and think that prescription drugs are different somehow to heroin, cocaine, etc then you have no idea what drugs really are.

Whether a subsatnce is deemed legal or not by the government has nothing to do with it. I don't think Heath Ledger was even taking them long enough to be addicted to what he took, but they had a much worse effect.

I'm with you on this one... I was taught in my forensics degree about the order of these things and alcohol and tabacco are actually way worse than some others such as cannabis, ecstacy... in fact they are so far up the list (particularly alcohol) they are right up the arse of some things like heroin.

Just because they are legal means nothing. If alchol had been invented in this day and age it would have instantly become illegal. It's just that it is such a simple and natural molecule that it was found ages ago and therefore has remained socially acceptable."

how long does it take for someone who smokes to die of lung cancer.

How long is it before someone who drinks beer !!! not a bottle of scotch a day to become an alcholic...

A lot longer than someone who smokes crack cocaine !!!

I am not saying one is better than the other but we all know which one is worse.

And to be honest who brought the leagal thing into it legal or not drugs are by far the easiest to get addicted to.

As far as alchohol and tabacco are concerned I happen to agree.

over a year ago

Just because they are legal means nothing. If alchol had been invented in this day and age it would have instantly become illegal. It's just that it is such a simple and natural molecule that it was found ages ago and therefore has remained socially acceptable.

how long does it take for someone who smokes to die of lung cancer.

How long is it before someone who drinks beer !!! not a bottle of scotch a day to become an alcholic...

A lot longer than someone who smokes crack cocaine !!!

I am not saying one is better than the other but we all know which one is worse.

And to be honest who brought the leagal thing into it legal or not drugs are by far the easiest to get addicted to.

As far as alchohol and tabacco are concerned I happen to agree.

"

I wasn't disagreeing crack wasn't worse. But if you're getting into which are the most addictive that is a different matter altogether! I was more talking about their mean score of harm...

over a year ago

over to you guys

I am not going to get in an arguement here as we all have our own opinions but for me at the end of the day we all have a choice and we all see what happens if we choose drugs !!!! end of.

I also said before my sister became an addict that i would have no time for them untill it happened to us,she turned to drugs because she couldnt cope with what happened to her...

I think maybe you need to take your blinkers off.."

Sory pressed the wrong button twice there lol and guess what not a !!!! mmmm will leave it there lol.

However I am not nor have I ever been blinkered and if you think that then sorry.

I have no idea what horror turned your sister to drugs and I have nothing but kindness towards you.

But this is just about opinions,I have mine and you have yours and I respect your opinions and those of the other posters.

However I reiterate it's all about individual choice,

Andy

over a year ago

"And as I have never taken drugs what kind of person does that make me"

I just wanted to point out that both nicotine and alcohol are drugs...

over a year ago

"

I am not going to get in an arguement here as we all have our own opinions but for me at the end of the day we all have a choice and we all see what happens if we choose drugs !!!! end of."

I said 'some people' and i was referring to people I KNEW, I don't know you so it wasn't meant to include you.

Everyone knows what happens? If that were true there wouldn't be a problem. And If you have never taken drugs it simply makes you a person with only one point of view on the subject.

Who deserves more respect? Someone who has never taken a risk to learn more about the world and what's out there, or someone who has made a mistake, fallen, but then picked themselves back up.

Drugs are like cars. Very useful if used properly, very dangerous when used irresponsibly

We're having this debate on a site which encourages just that kind of adventure, but not everyone here wants the whole world to know what they get up to for kicks, because there are so many people who are quick to judge.

over a year ago

Also you guys may be interested to look at this article. Go to the graph on P176, very interesting indeed:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmsctech/1031/1031.pdf

over a year ago

"

I said 'some people' and i was referring to people I KNEW, I don't know you so it wasn't meant to include you.

Everyone knows what happens? If that were true there wouldn't be a problem. And If you have never taken drugs it simply makes you a person with only one point of view on the subject.

Who deserves more respect? Someone who has never taken a risk to learn more about the world and what's out there, or someone who has made a mistake, fallen, but then picked themselves back up.

Drugs are like cars. Very useful if used properly, very dangerous when used irresponsibly

We're having this debate on a site which encourages just that kind of adventure, but not everyone here wants the whole world to know what they get up to for kicks, because there are so many people who are quick to judge.

"

so taking drugs and realising they fucked up probably ruined a lot of other peoples lives in the process!!!

Then getting clean ...

deserves my respect more than someone who has never taken drugs never hurt anyone else or impacted on their lives.

Don't think so do you.

Personally I think it's more of a risk and a lot harder to square up to your responsibilities straight than to take the so called easy option.

And yes everyone knows what happens with drugs and thats something I will never understand.And yes there is still a problem !!!

As for judging the question was asked and I am giving my opinion and yes possibily a judgement.

But there is a long way to go with better arguements from peple who are a lot more learned than me.

over a year ago

Sex is an addiction all that adrenaline rush whos a sex addict on here own up. I am one.

By *cottishcoupleCouple
over a year ago

near irvine, ayrshire

my views as a sister who lost her kid brother 10 years ago now

at that time he was runnin wi the wrong crowd ended up going from hash to heroin eventually dying of blood poisioning at the age of 30

we fought with dr's to get help they couldnt offer us any they hadn't ever issued methadone at this time we had locks on all doors in my parents house to stop him stealing everything n anything to feed his addiction

there is only one way out of drugs i believe n thats eventually death as he told me when lyin in hospital !!

my brother wasnt scum he was a well brought up guy who played an instrument in the school band was a black belt in karate was a normal guy who was weak n lead down the wrong path in life gave the heroin for free the first few times cause the dealer knew he would be hooked n be back

so wanting to legalise any sort of drugs i think is bizarre my bother paid the price with his life his family are the ones who still suffer i think the solution is be harder on the drug dealers police know most of them give them LONG prison sentances they wont be long n thinking about what they are doin if they are spending most their lives in prison

over a year ago

"

so taking drugs and realising they fucked up probably ruined a lot of other peoples lives in the process!!!

Then getting clean ...

deserves my respect more than someone who has never taken drugs never hurt anyone else or impacted on their lives.

Don't think so do you.

Personally I think it's more of a risk and a lot harder to square up to your responsibilities straight than to take the so called easy option.

And yes everyone knows what happens with drugs and thats something I will never understand.And yes there is still a problem !!!

As for judging the question was asked and I am giving my opinion and yes possibily a judgement.

But there is a long way to go with better arguements from peple who are a lot more learned than me. "

I've tried a lot of drugs, only three with regularity, alcohol, cannabis, and tobacco if you count the tobacco in a joint (in fact it was the tobacco that I had the hardest time with). I enjoyed them, but I KNOW that heroin would feel better than any of those others I took, which is precisely why I never took any when I had the chance, because once I sampled it I would want to feel it again, thus starting the vicious circle that is addiction. That's making a choice!

I'm not the only one either, so where does that leave the 'everyone knows what happens' argument? It didn't happen to me. I'm completely clean of anything since the last glass I had from a bottle of Pernod a few weeks ago. Nobody has been hurt by anything I have done with drugs, no more than if I had chosen to go out and piss it up as often as normal people do (incidentally, at age 18 I was put in hospital by a d*unk 'friend' who took offence at something I said in total innocence).

Nobody knows what drugs do, most of us know what they CAN do if misused, and some people think that's what WILL happen. It depends on the person using them, but then we are all at the mercy of what other people do, it's part of life. Someone's 'mistake' tomorrow could end a life, or it could be their intention to do harm to somebody just for the hell of it, without caring.

Drugs, alcohol, cars, weapons, sex, gambling, fatty foods, work.....they all have the potential to ruin people's lives, if PEOPLE let them, and if you banned them all PEOPLE would find something else, or maybe die of boredom instead

over a year ago

"I think we should fund their habit - house them but prevent them from having children - keep them separate from the rest of society and provide rehab if they express a desire to get clean - this would stop some of the drug dealers making a lot of money but wouldn't be a complete solution I know but may help society as they wouldn't need to mug or burgle or prostitute themselves to get drugs - any ideas on this? Z"

I disagree with this strongly as for every druggie you cure another will take his place and I don't see why they should be given taxpayer's money for being weak.

Does that sound a bit harsh? Yeah, so what if it does. Everybody knows the dangers of drugs and most listen to good advice and steer clear of them, but some think they are godamm invincible and dabble anyway. Before they know it they're hooked and so begins the spiral of depravity and criminality to obtain more drugs.

There is only one way to deal with the drugs issue and that's to make sure that every person who thinks of selling drugs, from the drug tzars right down the mules that carry them across borders, that the penalties will be harsh and swift.

Every penny they have should be confiscated and put towards assisting those dependant on drugs and long jail terms with no chance of parole should be mandatory. On a remote cold highland island preferably.

over a year ago

Bolton

"I think we should fund their habit - house them but prevent them from having children - keep them separate from the rest of society and provide rehab if they express a desire to get clean - this would stop some of the drug dealers making a lot of money but wouldn't be a complete solution I know but may help society as they wouldn't need to mug or burgle or prostitute themselves to get drugs - any ideas on this? Z

I disagree with this strongly as for every druggie you cure another will take his place and I don't see why they should be given taxpayer's money for being weak.

Does that sound a bit harsh? Yeah, so what if it does. Everybody knows the dangers of drugs and most listen to good advice and steer clear of them, but some think they are godamm invincible and dabble anyway. Before they know it they're hooked and so begins the spiral of depravity and criminality to obtain more drugs.

There is only one way to deal with the drugs issue and that's to make sure that every person who thinks of selling drugs, from the drug tzars right down the mules that carry them across borders, that the penalties will be harsh and swift.

Every penny they have should be confiscated and put towards assisting those dependant on drugs and long jail terms with no chance of parole should be mandatory. On a remote cold highland island preferably."

Yes, I agree to some extent but think about this - if you're a drug addict and have the choice of living in relative comfort, with free drugs or paying for your drugs by perhaps turning to crime etc to fund it - which would you go for? That would eventually get rid of the dealers - they'd have no customers. They wouldn't be getting youngsters hooked and 'new' customers. If these people are sterilised or given trestment to stop them having children there will be less young people growing up in this drug ridden environment therefore no 'second - third generation' addicts. There would be less crime from drug addicts - the long term picture would be much better! Z

over a year ago

Drugs are a huge problem in society but you’re a little way off the point as it is alcohol that causes the most problems. Most saterday violence is alcohol related, many acts of vandalism and a proportion of break-ins are alcohol fuelled. Now alcohol is a legal substance and it is under some guidelines by the govt on sale and use but still problems occur. As for the number of children who are battered or abused after an adult has been drinking well its not a small number. The problem with society is it’s a NIMBY culture. People are happy to limit illegal substances and target them but shy away from alcohol misuse in case it affects them.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 11/03/10 09:18:50]

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Wow, some very errmmm interesting views on that one.

I am with jimmy on this one. People have a choice of what they do in life, drugs don't "choose" a person.

We all know the dangers of drink drugs and smoking, but no one is forcing you to do it.

The excuse of " I was having a bad day so I needed drugs " doesn't wash with me. Most people have lots of bad days in their life but don't turn to drugs drink or even smoking and manage to live their life normally.

As for the question "who would you respect more, the person who had never tried anything out of the norm or the person who tried drugs and got off them" I am speechless that someone would think to gain respect you have to do something like be a heroin addict so you can show people you can beat it !

Do we respect that person when they are an addict too, before they get clean? when they are robbing their families last pennies to pay for their habit? or robbing car radios and tools out of a workmans van to pay for it ?

I think my respect would be with the person who is strong enough to say no to drugs.

By *aughty_kittyWoman
over a year ago

finger licking good

i wes reading about some bird in the USA who has set up some thing, she goes round to the druggys and pays them $200 to get sterelised.

i think its a great idea, when my daughter and son was in special care, there were many 'big' babys there screaming, shaking, jurking their body like they was having fits, nothing could ever settle these babys the screaming is so unreal not like a normal baby cry, even when they seem settled, they are gunting and the sadness you can see in these babys are scockin.... these babys are born addicted to drugs, and for the first couple of week these babys are injected with drugs to wean them off the drugs the mother took a two week old junkie huh, every single mother who baby is born addticed to drugs so go to prison for child abuse,.

if you have a baby or even child and feed them drugs, you will be arressted and go to jail, but cos the baby is inside you it dont matter.

i have seen the junkie mums, going out for their next fix only comein to see thir baby for a few mins at a time cos they are too high..

i HATE JUNKIE DRUGGY FEMALES WHO DO THIS TO THEIR CHILDREN take the fucking wombs out of the lot of them.

over a year ago

"Never touched a drug that wasn't prescribed by a doctor.

im sorry but you are wrong if you think that all addicts become addicts by choice yes some do choose to take drugs by choice but not all i think that before you express an opinion like that you ought to go sit through a few rehabbb sessions and listen to peroples storys just one example a prostitute lured into prostitution and a near fatal heroin habbit by her so called boyfriend or the guy addicted to heroin and methadone due to having morphine pumped into him daily for almost a year after a serious motorcycle accident. and presumably you've never been in a situation where your that traumatised that your not able to to rationalise and think about the future of your actions and but just need an escape .remember addictions come in many shapes and forms and for many reasons so your wrong people dont choose to become addicts

Andy

"

over a year ago

It is a basic human right to procreate. I'm against any regime of forced sterilisation and will argue tooth and nail against it. There are many ways of combatting drug abuse and sterilisation is not one of them. Yes we need to make some radical decisions and yes it will be tough on those on the receiving end of it but nobody forced them to put the fiurst drug they took in their veins or in their mouths, they made that decision all by themselves (obv I am not referring to people who have been adminstered drugs against their will, sex slaves etc but that's another thread). Many people have beaten their addictions and gone on to lead perfectly normal lives but if they had been subjected to sterilisation when they were addicts they have no chance of having a family once clean.

It's not a million miles from what the Nazis tried to do 65 years ago.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"If you want to stop drug dealers then the easiest way is to legalise all drugs and put contro of the sellers and proceeds in the hands of the government. They already do it with two of the worst drugs you can have, tobacco and alcohol, both of which are addictive and lethal in different ways. The biggest threat that some so called dangerous drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, and speed have are the way they are 'diluted' with other substances to increase profits for drug dealers who are can't be held responsible for their actions."

This would never work. Yes our Government control tobacco and alcohol and we pay massaive taxes on them. The same would happen if they took control of drugs.

The amount of black market tobacco and alcohol sold in this country is almost the same as "legal" products. To legalise drugs, you would only create another black market.

over a year ago

As for this American woman paying people to be sterilised, well that to me smacks of megalomania and undermines what it is to live in a free democratic society.

over a year ago

i would just like to add an account of drugs and what they do and the lasting consequences they have on other people, when i was younger a friend of mine, who had been dabbling in drugs on and off (and suffered from mental health problems because of this) and who came from a respectable loving family, continued to take concoctions of various drugs, now while he never stole or hurt anyone, how it ended left a lot of people in both grief and trauma, including those that didnt know him, by this i mean because of his actions (heart breaking though they were)

he took his own life, but before he did he rang up his closest friend to arrange to meet him, which i know left a mental scar on the friend as he knew he was the last person to speak to him before he went, and without being too graphic, how he chose to end his life brought lifelong trauma and memories for the people who witnessed it, he jumped off a bridge and under an oncoming train, and i can only imagine the horror the train driver must have felt and the other people who saw this happen

im not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone just giving my own personal account of how devastating drugs can be and the impact they have on the lives of those around them family and friends and indeed people who didnt even know the person

By *aughty_kittyWoman
over a year ago

finger licking good

when that druggy, has a child inside her, that body is no longer hers to abuse she is also abusing her baby... if a druggy cant/wont stop using while preg, then once that baby is born in pain and suffering like these babys always do, then the mother should no longer have the choice to have any more kids, yea she might change years down the line, but for that time she did not think about her child and she abused that baby...

its like saying if a bloke abuses a kid, oh its ok in a few years he can have another cos he might have learnt his lesson now...

Heroin use can have a severe impact on a baby. It may even cause chromosome changes. Babies born addicted to heroin experience typical withdrawal symptoms including, respiratory problems, vomiting, diarrhea, jaundice, convulsions and hyperventilation. According to the American SIDS Institute, these babies are also much more likely to die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. (thanks to google)

if a mother is able to do this to her child before its even born. she sould never be allowed another. OMHO

over a year ago

some people choose not to smoke some choose not to drink some choose not to take drugs.

iv tried the so called recreational drugs from hash to cocaine to everythin in between in my younger years but never would i have touched heroin and never will no matter how shite my life is at that point nor to escape from trauma that has plagued me for years. the answer for me wasnt lyin in a syringe.

iv watched heroin rip my family to shreds iv watched new born babies go through withdrawel because their selfish cow of a mother decided that a baby was a great way to get extra money.

iv been kept up for nights in a row with that baby howling the place down screaming for heroin that it didnt choose to take that is mother took while she lay out her face more concerned where her next hit was coming from than her child. iv fed and clothed and cared for that child because her mother couldnt but she was sure capable of spendin the money meant for the child. why because that child was my niece.

if i could have persuaded my sister to get sterilised or the 5 year implant i would have to save the poor child the agony of what she went through and what she goin through now with illness etc caused by her mother. i would drive her personally to the doctors and fuck her freedom of choice or so called democracy that child never got the chance to choose not to be born addicted to drugs.

over a year ago

I have a new found respect for you after reading this, but think upon this for a moment please.

With forced sterilisation you wouldn't have the niece you so obviously care about.

Children can't choose their parents but once they are born they deserve every chance to reach maturity intact. You gave that child just such a chance. Well done, I applaud you.

over a year ago

its not forced its an option the 5 year implant in my opinion would have been the best for her as it would have gave her 5 years to sort out her life and saved the trauma my neice went through. i wouldnt swap her for the world but her quality of life has been comprimised through her mums lifestyle she is developmentally behind other kids and has a lot of behavioural and health issues caused by the drugs her mother took.

im not sayin force every addict for the full hysterectomy but a long term contraception not enforced but through consultation with medicals may save some kids from dyin or havin these problems and also more stress for addict parents x

over a year ago

A sort of 'time out' from reproducing you mean, while they sort themselves out? It doesn't sound so bad putting it like that and so long as it's voluntary I wouldn't have a problem with it.

over a year ago

aye. that woman from america who was offering the sterilisation she was offering she wasnt goin round the streets kidnappin them and removin wombs.

she had been a foster parent to addict babies so was highly experienced in dealing with addicts and the situations they find themselves in.

obviously american healthcare system different from ours so maybe she was offering a service that people could access if they wanted. x

By *iker BullMan
over a year ago

leeds

By far and away the biggest drug problem this country has is alcohol abuse,,,there is more money spent due to alcohol abuse than all the other illegal drugs put together fact!

over a year ago

"Wow, some very errmmm interesting views on that one.

I am with jimmy on this one. People have a choice of what they do in life, drugs don't "choose" a person.

We all know the dangers of drink drugs and smoking, but no one is forcing you to do it.

The excuse of " I was having a bad day so I needed drugs " doesn't wash with me. Most people have lots of bad days in their life but don't turn to drugs drink or even smoking and manage to live their life normally.

As for the question "who would you respect more, the person who had never tried anything out of the norm or the person who tried drugs and got off them" I am speechless that someone would think to gain respect you have to do something like be a heroin addict so you can show people you can beat it !

Do we respect that person when they are an addict too, before they get clean? when they are robbing their families last pennies to pay for their habit? or robbing car radios and tools out of a workmans van to pay for it ?

I think my respect would be with the person who is strong enough to say no to drugs."

What she said!!

Interesting comments indeed!

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

By far and away the biggest producer of Opiates that flood this country is Afghanistan.

To stop the amount of Drugs entering this country in my view would be to burn all the poppy fields and offer the farmers a subsidy to grow crops instead.

This subsidy in itself would be at a much lower cost to the millions we spend on supporting the druggies on the NHS and other rehabs.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"By far and away the biggest drug problem this country has is alcohol abuse,,,there is more money spent due to alcohol abuse than all the other illegal drugs put together fact!"

I'm sorry but what a load of twaddle. Yes more money may be spent on alcohol.

BUT there is more money spent on investigating the ancillary crimes committed by the druggies and all the heartache of the victims of these crimes is immeasurable.

over a year ago

yes, your talking absolute bollocks. Fund them, you had a bang on yer head.Are you a tax payer or what?

I would take them on day out to Blackpool Tower where i would drop each and everyone of them off Blackpool Tower. Job done. Community safer and we can save the tax payer some money and I would enjoy doing it.

over a year ago

Bolton

"yes, your talking absolute bollocks. Fund them, you had a bang on yer head.Are you a tax payer or what?

I would take them on day out to Blackpool Tower where i would drop each and everyone of them off Blackpool Tower. Job done. Community safer and we can save the tax payer some money and I would enjoy doing it."

Yes, i am a tax payer - pay a bloody lot as well!! If you care to read the whole post and the subsequent follow up post it may become a little clearer! I'm looking long term etc and not just pamdering to drug addicts addictions! Z

over a year ago

poor blackpool

the strategies we have just now arent working. rehab places are scarcer than a virgin on here and the methodone programme just isnt working.

the dealers are gettin richer at the expense of everyone not just the addicts the rest of the population too.

maybe a community set up out in the arse end of nowhere where it is all addicts and away from dealers etc for say a 2 year spell till clean but a community where everythin is done by them ie growin food the shops etc but with support services. i

it might sound crazy but it might just work too and financially in the long run cost less that what is gettin paid out just now xx

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

I think he was answering to Brets post. Not yours hun xx

over a year ago

Bolton

"I think he was answering to Brets post. Not yours hun xx"

oh right! Z

By *iggles and BeardyCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Everything in life is a choice, we all know the risks and it is upto each person to choose thier path.. Sadly it's so bloody easy to say "I was led"

Done some bad shit in my life and had some very hard times, but when it came down to it, everything I did was out of choice, wow it would be so easy to say "I fell in with a bad crowd and was led astray" but that would just be a lie to myself.

Have tryed a few drugs, not becaus I was forced or led, but because they were there and I had a choice (examply my stag nite, had drank soooo much, that i realized I wasn't likely to walk if I drank more, so tryed cocain)

As to the legalize all the drugs and let the goverment tax it, it's totaly an idea of fiction with no base in reality.. Drugs eveolve, for each one thats legalized a more potent version will become availible, not just for its effect but simply to feed humanitys desire for risk, to do what simply you are told you arn't allowed too.

over a year ago

House them? we already do. stop them from having children- against human rights. I dont think you have thought this threw. This has to be the worst thread you could have put in a forum, some people are passionate about the community they live in, especially when it affects their children. I dont do politics and it sounds like your in above your head with this one. leave the politics for the thieving councillours. Its what they do best.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"House them? we already do. stop them from having children- against human rights. I dont think you have thought this threw. This has to be the worst thread you could have put in a forum, some people are passionate about the community they live in, especially when it affects their children. I dont do politics and it sounds like your in above your head with this one. leave the politics for the thieving councillours. Its what they do best. "

Most subjects are welcome on the forums, and this is as good as any.

It might be helpful when you are getting your point across to respect what other people write without suggesting they have had a bang to the head because it isn't the same opinion as yours

over a year ago

"yes, your talking absolute bollocks. Fund them, you had a bang on yer head.Are you a tax payer or what?

I would take them on day out to Blackpool Tower where i would drop each and everyone of them off Blackpool Tower. Job done. Community safer and we can save the tax payer some money and I would enjoy doing it."

Hey smilesbetter don't be dumping them on our doorstep! lol... drop them from somewhere else please

over a year ago

i wont sammi. im a good shot. i look after the better people of the world. You wont even know ive been. There will be a skip at the bottom of the tower.

over a year ago

Sometimes, just sometimes, for a brief moment, I kind of wish life was like the movies. We could have a covert government agency (not the sort which has holiday photos posted on facebook) who infiltrates the major drug cartels to cut some really bad batches of brown and kill off masses of druggies in a short space of time. The druggie death phenomenon would scare the living shit out of many of the curious to try as a next step and what the fuck would the dealers do after such a rapid decline in customer base.

Shame we're stuck with real life.

over a year ago

"i wont sammi. im a good shot. i look after the better people of the world. You wont even know ive been. There will be a skip at the bottom of the tower. "

Aww Gee thanks! so considerate! don't ya just love great people!

over a year ago

Bolton

"Sometimes, just sometimes, for a brief moment, I kind of wish life was like the movies. We could have a covert government agency (not the sort which has holiday photos posted on facebook) who infiltrates the major drug cartels to cut some really bad batches of brown and kill off masses of druggies in a short space of time. The druggie death phenomenon would scare the living shit out of many of the curious to try as a next step and what the fuck would the dealers do after such a rapid decline in customer base.

Shame we're stuck with real life."

I understand that sentiment but even that wouldn't work I don't think. There was something a few years ago where there was a really pure load of heroin or and they were over dosing by the dozen - the government put out loads of warnings for them to be careful! Z

over a year ago

'house them but prevent them from having children - keep them separate from the rest of society and provide rehab if they express a desire to get clean'

I'm sorry- I had to say something.... this sounds a little judgmental! A lot of us have been dealt a pretty good hand in life... and couldn't begin to understand what some people have been through before they turn to drugs in desperation. I'm not saying it doesn't cause problems in society... but I think a lack of understanding and compassion is just as harmful...

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"Sometimes, just sometimes, for a brief moment, I kind of wish life was like the movies. We could have a covert government agency (not the sort which has holiday photos posted on facebook) who infiltrates the major drug cartels to cut some really bad batches of brown and kill off masses of druggies in a short space of time. The druggie death phenomenon would scare the living shit out of many of the curious to try as a next step and what the fuck would the dealers do after such a rapid decline in customer base.

Shame we're stuck with real life."

Hear Hear............or cut it with rat poison

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

I understand that sentiment but even that wouldn't work I don't think. There was something a few years ago where there was a really pure load of heroin or and they were over dosing by the dozen - the government put out loads of warnings for them to be careful! Z"

Another waste of tax payers money

over a year ago

I should've known better than to get involved in this discussion because it just winds me up to see how people can show so little of the objectivity that's needed for this topic, and a lot of others.

Too many of you use phrases like 'druggies' or use the word drugs without being specific, so all drugs get tarred with the same brush, which does no good at all.

Not all drugs are the same, in the same way not all people are the same

Any kind of addict whether it's of alcohol, gambling, tobacco, or heroin will go to extreme lengths to feed their habit. If alcohol was banned then there would be plenty of people willing to make their own or smuggle it, because the demand would make it profitable.

You all seem to think that heroin is so much worse than alcohol, that it kill people, but most of the deaths you here of are from things like infected needles. Yeah they wouldn't die if they hadn't been injecting heroin, but it's not usually the heroin itself that is the cause, whereas alcohol, especially in the form of spirits can be lethal because of it's effect on the body. I know heroin can be overdosed in a similar way, but heroin addicts rarely have access to such quantities and would know better than to do it if they did. How many young people really know what quantity of vodka is too much? We laugh and joke about people consuming 'bottles' of vodka, in fact we brag about it if we can consume more than another person.

People will always experiment, and it's because someone was willing to do so that we have all the technology and culture we have today, without it we would still be living in trees. You can't take the choice away, you can only try to help people learn from those choices. All the talk about lives being ruined is bollocks, there are people out there who either don't care if they ruin someone's life or actually take pleasure in it. Drugs may have all kinds of consequences and effects but essentially it's only about self pleasure at no-one else's expense, what exactly is wrong with seeking a bit of pleasure?

over a year ago

Cameraplay: thank you!!

Nice to see someone who doesn't generalise or judge people...

over a year ago

Gotta say its hilarious mothers saying this and that about people using and having kids yet say it with a fag in the hand and a bairn in the belly. Nicotine is one of the biggest problems with unborn babies still.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"I should've known better than to get involved in this discussion because it just winds me up to see how people can show so little of the objectivity that's needed for this topic, and a lot of others.

Too many of you use phrases like 'druggies' or use the word drugs without being specific, so all drugs get tarred with the same brush, which does no good at all.

Any kind of addict whether it's of alcohol, gambling, tobacco, or heroin will go to extreme lengths to feed their habit. If alcohol was banned then there would be plenty of people willing to make their own or smuggle it, because the demand would make it profitable.

You all seem to think that heroin is so much worse than alcohol, that it kill people, but most of the deaths you here of are from things like infected needles. Yeah they wouldn't die if they hadn't been injecting heroin, but it's not usually the heroin itself that is the cause, whereas alcohol, especially in the form of spirits can be lethal because of it's effect on the body. I know heroin can be overdosed in a similar way, but heroin addicts rarely have access to such quantities and would know better than to do it if they did. How many young people really know what quantity of vodka is too much? We laugh and joke about people consuming 'bottles' of vodka, in fact we brag about it if we can consume more than another person.

People will always experiment, and it's because someone was willing to do so that we have all the technology and culture we have today, without it we would still be living in trees. You can't take the choice away, you can only try to help people learn from those choices. All the talk about lives being ruined is bollocks, there are people out there who either don't care if they ruin someone's life or actually take pleasure in it. Drugs may have all kinds of consequences and effects but essentially it's only about self pleasure at no-one else's expense, what exactly is wrong with seeking a bit of pleasure?"

I can't say what I want to say cos I'll be banned.

We need a muzzled icon Grrrrrrrrr

I'm not against anyone having pleasure each to there own, but when it effects other people then there pleasure as you call it. Is another persons displeasure. I do not know or know of an alcoholic theiving or burglaring to pay for their habit. As stated previously the cost of ancillary crimes to innocent victims is imeasurable. I know of a guy that had all his war medals stolen in a burglary. The offender was caught and guess what, he did so he sell them at a pawn shop for £10 for his next fix. The medals were never recovered. This guy put his life on the line so some moron could come along and nick them for a fix.

over a year ago

"I should've known better than to get involved in this discussion because it just winds me up to see how people can show so little of the objectivity that's needed for this topic, and a lot of others.

People will always experiment, and it's because someone was willing to do so that we have all the technology and culture we have today, without it we would still be living in trees. You can't take the choice away, you can only try to help people learn from those choices. All the talk about lives being ruined is bollocks, there are people out there who either don't care if they ruin someone's life or actually take pleasure in it. Drugs may have all kinds of consequences and effects but essentially it's only about self pleasure at no-one else's expense, what exactly is wrong with seeking a bit of pleasure?

I'm not against anyone having pleasure each to there own, but when it effects other people then there pleasure as you call it. Is another persons displeasure. I do not know or know of an alcoholic theiving or burglaring to pay for their habit. As stated previously the cost of ancillary crimes to innocent victims is imeasurable. I know of a guy that had all his war medals stolen in a burglary. The offender was caught and guess what, he did so he sell them at a pawn shop for £10 for his next fix. The medals were never recovered. This guy put his life on the line so some moron could come along and nick them for a fix."

You want to go into supermarkets and ask them about alcoholics thieving booze. They will tell you different.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"

I'm not against anyone having pleasure each to there own, but when it effects other people then there pleasure as you call it. Is another persons displeasure. I do not know or know of an alcoholic theiving or burglaring to pay for their habit. As stated previously the cost of ancillary crimes to innocent victims is imeasurable. I know of a guy that had all his war medals stolen in a burglary. The offender was caught and guess what, he did so he sell them at a pawn shop for £10 for his next fix. The medals were never recovered. This guy put his life on the line so some moron could come along and nick them for a fix.

You want to go into supermarkets and ask them about alcoholics thieving booze. They will tell you different. "

Point taken but supermarkets are hardly affected personally as a result

over a year ago

"

You want to go into supermarkets and ask them about alcoholics thieving booze. They will tell you different.

Point taken but supermarkets are hardly affected personally as a result"

Houses burgled all the time round by us with winos looking for spirits. Garages are a big favourite ask your local old bill.

By *eorge17Man
over a year ago

Leven

You want to go into supermarkets and ask them about alcoholics thieving booze. They will tell you different. "

you will probably find that the majority of shoplifters are drug addicts who sell their ill gotten gains to buy their fix.

how many alcoholics do you read about are forced into prostitution to buy booze?

how many gamblers mug old ladies so they can have a bet?

how many smokers do you read about breaking into homes to get money for fags?

illegal drugs are the scourge of modern society and desperate measures are needed to try stop more young people getting hooked.

what these measures are I don't know but something has to be done and soon!

over a year ago

you will probably find that the majority of shoplifters are drug addicts who sell their ill gotten gains to buy their fix.

how many alcoholics do you read about are forced into prostitution to buy booze?

how many gamblers mug old ladies so they can have a bet?

how many smokers do you read about breaking into homes to get money for fags?

illegal drugs are the scourge of modern society and desperate measures are needed to try stop more young people getting hooked.

what these measures are I don't know but something has to be done and soon!"

Not as many alcoholics these days as they get a daily allowance if they are a registered alcoholic to satisfy cravings. An addict is an addict and they all steel to feed a habit.

over a year ago

So every heroin/drug addict is a thief and a burglar, and every thief and burglar is a heroin/drug addict? And no unemployed & skint alcoholic or gambling addict would resort to stealing?

And it's always the case that using drugs always harms someone else? In order to gain anything there invariably has to be someone or something losing, so it's kind've a hypocrital argument, a creature died so I could eat my dinner today, DIED!

The story about the medals is bad I agree, but is it only heroin addicts that resort to such terrible things, but you could win any argument with a guilt trip like that. It won't get to the heart of the matter though, heroin is basically opium, which has been around a long time and many have been addicted to opium as well, in fact Heroin itself has been around since the 19th century. How come it wasn't a problem until recent decades?

over a year ago

"So every heroin/drug addict is a thief and a burglar, and every thief and burglar is a heroin/drug addict? "

No................BUT,

Every person who deals them a rap is a CRIMINAL.

Every person who supplies the dealer is a CRIMINAL.

Crime funds the drug trade… not just at user level.

Internet fraud, identity theft, card cloning…. not exclusive to funding drug deals at the higher end of the drug supply hierarchy but connected never the less.

The list to the crime connection is a pretty long one and includes forced prostitution, people trafficking (that’s polite for slavery btw) and a number of other seriously unsavoury dealings.

People don’t generally take heroin by accident… accidentally tighten the tunicae, accidentally mix it and heat it, draw it into a syringe and accidentally whack it in a vein.

They choose to do it... and they fecking well know what they are getting into.... they've seen TrainSpotting!

There are some people who are druggies I do have empathy for…. people who become hooked on prescribed pain killers for example… but they usually stick to the same DoA.

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

ask the hospitals which drugs cause most damage !!!! ALCOHOL , by far is the worst drug in society today it puts ALL other drugs legal or not into the minor damage league. cant stand people who preach about drug and substance abuse and ignore the real killers .

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

btw its worth noting that swinging is not condoned by society either are all you do gooders gonna get your pitch forks and torches out on us next lmao

over a year ago

"ask the hospitals which drugs cause most damage !!!! ALCOHOL , by far is the worst drug in society today it puts ALL other drugs legal or not into the minor damage league. cant stand people who preach about drug and substance abuse and ignore the real killers ."

It's not just about the amount of alcohol related cases they treat either, what about the EFFECTS on other people who are ill.

On the weekend my mother died from emphysema (she smoked) we had to wait for hours for an ambulance because it was a Friday night and they were busy with the pissheads. Those hours waiting, struggling for breath, getting weaker and weaker, could have made the difference between her making it out of hospital alive or not.

over a year ago

I understand that sentiment but even that wouldn't work I don't think. There was something a few years ago where there was a really pure load of heroin or and they were over dosing by the dozen - the government put out loads of warnings for them to be careful! Z"

Yeah but it was only a dozen or so deaths when that happened.

Ahhhhhh back to the film.... 200,000 needle pushing heroin addicts dropping dead within a matter of weeks. The conspiracy theory used to manipulate the media and the minds of those involved in the drug scene. Speculation from unknown sources saying crack is being targeted next. Cartels infighting and killing each other for the millions lost in fucked-up product.

Anyone know which profile name Quentin Tarantino uses?

over a year ago

"btw its worth noting that swinging is not condoned by society either are all you do gooders gonna get your pitch forks and torches out on us next lmao"

I know some single guys can get pretty desperate for a meet, but not many mug a granny to get one.... sex between adults isn't illegal.

over a year ago

"btw its worth noting that swinging is not condoned by society either are all you do gooders gonna get your pitch forks and torches out on us next lmao

I know some single guys can get pretty desperate for a meet, but not many mug a granny to get one.... sex between adults isn't illegal."

Earlier in this thread I mentioned being put in hospital by a d*unk 'friend' who did 6 months for it. That same guy did another spell in prison for raping a granny.

over a year ago

"btw its worth noting that swinging is not condoned by society either are all you do gooders gonna get your pitch forks and torches out on us next lmao

I know some single guys can get pretty desperate for a meet, but not many mug a granny to get one.... sex between adults isn't illegal.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned being put in hospital by a d*unk 'friend' who did 6 months for it. That same guy did another spell in prison for raping a granny."

Was he a swinger?

By *lgernonMan
over a year ago

cupar

Gotta add my tuppence.

In the words of Bill Hicks (roughly):

" I had a great time on drugs. No really. Never shot anyone, never robbed anyone, never used the emergency services, never got arrested.

LAUGHED MY ASS OFF, danced like a crazed idiot.....and went about my day.

Sorry. Um...yeah....sorry that I went out and enjoyed myself responsibly."

Life is full of wankers. Doesnt matter if you take drugs or not - if you were a twat before you took drugs you will just be a bigger twat on them. Likewise, drugs are a reasonable alternative means of recreation for people that can cope with them. Why should I be judged for not being into ciggies or booze?

That said, I dont have a solution for the section of society that cant control themselves.

*Dons flame proof suit and stands back obligatory 25ft.

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

I know some single guys can get pretty desperate for a meet, but not many mug a granny to get one.... sex between adults isn't illegal."

you totally missed the point eh !!!!!

over a year ago

"Crime funds the drug trade… not just at user level. Internet fraud, identity theft, card cloning…. not exclusive to funding drug deals at the higher end of the drug supply hierarchy but connected never the less. The list to the crime connection is a pretty long one and includes forced prostitution, people trafficking (that’s polite for slavery btw) and a number of other seriously unsavoury dealings"

That many crimes are connected is no big revelation. The biggest most profitable period of crime that ended with gangsters gaining immense power and influence through profits was over a little thing called prohibition. As soon as you make something that's sought after illegal, you hand over power to people willing to fill the niche that is created. You've actually just added weight to my side of the argument with that.

Most of what you have said is really part of the misinformation and scare stories that get banded about by people who have they own agendas. Does anyone remember Leah Betts, the girl who died after taking ecstasy? She was used in the campaign to have the drug reclassified, and yet the coroner actually concluded that she died because she overloaded her kidney's by drinking so much water, but his testimony didn't get a lot of publicity.

Most of us are too weighed down with our own family and work life to stop, step back, and see the situation as a whole. In fact that's the problem for pretty much everything in this world, too much kneejerking and hate mobbing, instead of people making up their own minds based on real facts.

over a year ago

many people have an addictive personality some addicted to cigarettes some alcohol some gambeling some whatever.

cocaine and other drugs are seen more as a status thing and appear more acceptable than your average smack head junkie addict whatever you want to call them.

alcohol does do a lot of damage in the public sphere and private and through long term health issues etc but the difference being alchohol is legal and enjoyed by many but some become addicted and then the major problems start.

either way no matter what someone does someone will judge it and not see it as acceptable because of their own beliefs but there will always be addicts of some form and problems in society, its how we deal with these problems that remains the issue xx

over a year ago

you totally missed the point eh !!!!!"

Nope... I just didn't think it was a very good point. There is a world of difference between moral disapproval and the law.

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

and the law is allways correct eh ??? get real

over a year ago

""Crime funds the drug trade… not just at user level. Internet fraud, identity theft, card cloning…. not exclusive to funding drug deals at the higher end of the drug supply hierarchy but connected never the less. The list to the crime connection is a pretty long one and includes forced prostitution, people trafficking (that’s polite for slavery btw) and a number of other seriously unsavoury dealings"

That many crimes are connected is no big revelation. The biggest most profitable period of crime that ended with gangsters gaining immense power and influence through profits was over a little thing called prohibition. As soon as you make something that's sought after illegal, you hand over power to people willing to fill the niche that is created. You've actually just added weight to my side of the argument with that.

Most of what you have said is really part of the misinformation and scare stories that get banded about by people who have they own agendas. Does anyone remember Leah Betts, the girl who died after taking ecstasy? She was used in the campaign to have the drug reclassified, and yet the coroner actually concluded that she died because she overloaded her kidney's by drinking so much water, but his testimony didn't get a lot of publicity.

Most of us are too weighed down with our own family and work life to stop, step back, and see the situation as a whole. In fact that's the problem for pretty much everything in this world, too much kneejerking and hate mobbing, instead of people making up their own minds based on real facts."

proven that extacy cause the body to heat up and puts pressure on the kidneys along with the heat and dancing of the taker makes them feel thirsty excessively then they drink to much water and its goodnite vienna, if she hadnt took it she wouldnt have died. some people react in different ways to these things and yes i do have personal experience of e i dabbled heavily in it when i was younger as did many people my age. and many died from things they wouldnt have died with if they hadnt took it x

over a year ago

""Crime funds the drug trade… not just at user level. Internet fraud, identity theft, card cloning…. not exclusive to funding drug deals at the higher end of the drug supply hierarchy but connected never the less. The list to the crime connection is a pretty long one and includes forced prostitution, people trafficking (that’s polite for slavery btw) and a number of other seriously unsavoury dealings"

Most of us are too weighed down with our own family and work life to stop, step back, and see the situation as a whole. In fact that's the problem for pretty much everything in this world, too much kneejerking and hate mobbing, instead of people making up their own minds based on real facts."

I'll remember that next time I'm sitting in on a DAT meeting...

btw... how did I add weight to your arguement as I haven't followed the whole thread and just cherry picked a comment which caught my eye?

over a year ago

Dont people think that if the government controlled it and sold it in special shops! not tlaking about heroin or nasty drugs just the recreational, that would stop more than just putting them in prison where a job needs filling someone will always take it!! may be biast from someone that smokes cannabis but it annoys me that people are stereotypical and put people in groups that do or do not do DRUGS!!

over a year ago

"and the law is allways correct eh ??? get real"

When it comes to drug dealing ... it's better than nothing.

over a year ago

"Gotta add my tuppence.

In the words of Bill Hicks (roughly):

" I had a great time on drugs. No really. Never shot anyone, never robbed anyone, never used the emergency services, never got arrested.

LAUGHED MY ASS OFF, danced like a crazed idiot.....and went about my day.

Sorry. Um...yeah....sorry that I went out and enjoyed myself responsibly."

Life is full of wankers. Doesnt matter if you take drugs or not - if you were a twat before you took drugs you will just be a bigger twat on them. Likewise, drugs are a reasonable alternative means of recreation for people that can cope with them. Why should I be judged for not being into ciggies or booze?

That said, I dont have a solution for the section of society that cant control themselves.

*Dons flame proof suit and stands back obligatory 25ft."

Spot on with the bit about wankers. I think I was trying to something like that earlier, but I hadn't thought to use Bill Hicks' wisdom. Can I join you on the suit? (maybe too late though)

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

my point is dont blanket condemn all drug users WITHOUT targeting the biggest killer alcohol. walk down any high street at the weekend and do you see druggies fighting , throwing up ,arguing with police , causing untold damage to themselves and others NO.

our youth today is in more need of education towards alcohol than any other drugs

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

The youth of yesterday were educated about drugs, but it seems it didn't work

By *iker BullMan
over a year ago

leeds

"By far and away the biggest drug problem this country has is alcohol abuse,,,there is more money spent due to alcohol abuse than all the other illegal drugs put together fact!

BUT there is more money spent on investigating the ancillary crimes committed by the druggies and all the heartache of the victims of these crimes is immeasurable."

rubbish check your figures,when you include exrta policing for every town and city in the land every weekend,the cost of vandalism due to alcohol,the cost to the nhs due to alcohol related illness there is no comaprison,,as for villans getting rich from drug dealing,the only obvious action should be to legalise the lot and let the junkies wipe themselves out,,seen as every other route we have taken clearly doesnt work,,one other point there are just as many criminals making a fortune out of bootleg alcohol,,just as nasty just as and just as greedy as the drug dealers,,and unfortunately just as many customers

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 11/03/10 20:17:00]

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

"By far and away the biggest drug problem this country has is alcohol abuse,,,there is more money spent due to alcohol abuse than all the other illegal drugs put together fact!

BUT there is more money spent on investigating the ancillary crimes committed by the druggies and all the heartache of the victims of these crimes is immeasurable."

lmao ffs m8 where do you get your statistics the dandy or the beano

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

BUT there is more money spent on investigating the ancillary crimes committed by the druggies and all the heartache of the victims of these crimes is immeasurable. rubbish check your figures,when you include exrta policing for every town and city in the land every weekend,the cost of vandalism due to alcohol,the cost to the nhs due to alcohol related illness there is no comaprison,,as for villans getting rich from drug dealing,the only obvious action should be to legalise the lot and let the junkies wipe themselves out,,seen as every other route we have taken clearly doesnt work,,one other point there are just as many criminals making a fortune out of bootleg alcohol,,just as nasty just as and just as greedy as the drug dealers,,and unfortunately just as many customers"

Contrary to popular belief, there are no extra patrols brought on at weekends. They just overlap their shifts to be able to cope. The only extra's that are brought in are Specials who are not paid.

And to the rest you have contradicted yourself so many times I don't know which point you're trying to argue !!!!

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

lol pz male ur funny lol

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"lol pz male ur funny lol "

Funny Haha or funny peculiar

over a year ago

"my point is dont blanket condemn all drug users WITHOUT targeting the biggest killer alcohol. walk down any high street at the weekend and do you see druggies fighting , throwing up ,arguing with police , causing untold damage to themselves and others NO.

our youth today is in more need of education towards alcohol than any other drugs "

I don't dismiss the damage of alcohol on society... I have no tolerance of pissheads!

But this is a thread about drug addicts of the illicit kind and I personally think taking a stance that there are more pissheads than heroin addicts (which is correct) is a poor argument to use… it implies we should ignore the problematic heroin addicts and their impact on the rest of society.

And heroin addicts get pissed too!

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

lol you work it out !!!!

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

"my point is dont blanket condemn all drug users WITHOUT targeting the biggest killer alcohol. walk down any high street at the weekend and do you see druggies fighting , throwing up ,arguing with police , causing untold damage to themselves and others NO.

our youth today is in more need of education towards alcohol than any other drugs

I don't dismiss the damage of alcohol on society... I have no tolerance of pissheads!

But this is a thread about drug addicts of the illicit kind and I personally think taking a stance that there are more pissheads than heroin addicts (which is correct) is a poor argument to use… it implies we should ignore the problematic heroin addicts and their impact on the rest of society.

"

and just while am on my high horse what about the people that died for that wee diamond on yer finger too lol

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

and just while am on my high horse what about the people that died for that wee diamond on yer finger too lol "

As polo said, this thread is a subject on addicts. Using any other subject to justify drug addicts doesn't help any argument you might want to put across.

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

jeeeeez alcahol is a drug ffs

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

A legal one if it is.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"jeeeeez alcahol is a drug ffs "

No more than chocolate, I go feckin crazy after eating a bar of Bovetti Pistachio White....mmmmm

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

"jeeeeez alcahol is a drug ffs

No more than chocolate, I go feckin crazy after eating a bar of Bovetti Pistachio White....mmmmm"

lol can just see headlines now!! chocolate junkies cause mayhem at footy match lol

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"jeeeeez alcahol is a drug ffs

No more than chocolate, I go feckin crazy after eating a bar of Bovetti Pistachio White....mmmmm"

I've got 3 bars here.....What are they worth

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Funnily enough I have loads already, helps that I sell it...

over a year ago

I think most people are aware that heroin addicts can seek help and be prescribed (free of charge) methadone (or one of a few other synthetic opioids). Many community pharmacies provide supervised methadone services…. and a lot of the time you’d never know unless you are curious as to why the person in front of you has been taken to the side to down some bright green liquid. People don’t need to wait on a never ending waiting list to get a place in a rehab centre to get help with heroin addiction.

What less people are aware of is… your GP can register to prescribe bona fide heroin (not cut with shite like on the street… but the real shit)… again free of charge to heroin addicts. They can do this because it is perceived there are many benefits to the addict in terms of health (and keeping them off other crap), their families and the community… crime rates.

Yet heroin addicts being prescribed heroin or methadone are in the minority; and even then a significant number of those who do receive their fix, free on prescription, continue to be classed as problematic as they are only partaking in the scheme as a result of a Court judgement.

over a year ago

and just while am on my high horse what about the people that died for that wee diamond on yer finger too lol "

It must be wee... as I can't see one. Keep it up and soon you'll be bringing up speeding drivers, DIY injuries and mosquitoes.... none of which are relevant to the subject of illicit drug users.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"I think most people are aware that heroin addicts can seek help and be prescribed (free of charge) methadone (or one of a few other synthetic opioids). Many community pharmacies provide supervised methadone services…. and a lot of the time you’d never know unless you are curious as to why the person in front of you has been taken to the side to down some bright green liquid. People don’t need to wait on a never ending waiting list to get a place in a rehab centre to get help with heroin addiction.

What less people are aware of is… your GP can register to prescribe bona fide heroin (not cut with shite like on the street… but the real shit)… again free of charge to heroin addicts. They can do this because it is perceived there are many benefits to the addict in terms of health (and keeping them off other crap), their families and the community… crime rates.

Yet heroin addicts being prescribed heroin or methadone are in the minority; and even then a significant number of those who do receive their fix, free on prescription, continue to be classed as problematic as they are only partaking in the scheme as a result of a Court judgement.

"

Methadone and subutex are widely available down here. Shit shouldn't have said that!!!!! As a means to weaning them off. The majority of users are buying sreet drugs as well, because they cannot cope (BLESS). So what is the point in us tax payers paying for their script???

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

the thread dont say illicit it says drug addicts

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"the thread dont say illicit it says drug addicts "

It is entitled DRUG ADDICTS but it is blatantly obvious that the OP is talking about illicit drugs if you read what she says in her opening thread

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

"the thread dont say illicit it says drug addicts

It is entitled DRUG ADDICTS but it is blatantly obvious that the OP is talking about illicit drugs if you read what she says in her opening thread"

lol nope never read that bit lol

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"I think we should fund their habit - house them but prevent them from having children - keep them separate from the rest of society and provide rehab if they express a desire to get clean - this would stop some of the drug dealers making a lot of money but wouldn't be a complete solution I know but may help society as they wouldn't need to mug or burgle or prostitute themselves to get drugs - any ideas on this? Z"

Here you are. Save you having to scroll back to the top

By *ountrypairCouple
over a year ago

edinburgh

awww cheers pz wat a pal lol

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"awww cheers pz wat a pal lol "

I know it was along away away but hey thats the kinda guy I am

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

maybe if people were told the truth about drugs.instead of exagerating the dangers, of some drugs.when people find out you are lying about one.your credibility tends to go out the window with that lie.why should they believe anything else you say.my own sister died through heroin use.prior to heroin,she had tried many other drugs.drugs that according to govt advice,were addictave.she found they were not .had she been told the truth,she may still have taken heroin.but at least on information based on truth.one of the greatest dangers,is when drug advise loses credibility

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"maybe if people were told the truth about drugs.instead of exagerating the dangers, of some drugs.when people find out you are lying about one.your credibility tends to go out the window with that lie.why should they believe anything else you say.my own sister died through heroin use.prior to heroin,she had tried many other drugs.drugs that according to govt advice,were addictave.she found they were not .had she been told the truth,she may still have taken heroin.but at least on information based on truth.one of the greatest dangers,is when drug advise loses credibility"

You have kind of lost me here, are you saying that your sister tried all the drugs she could before she found one that she could get addicted to?

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

she tried soft drugs, all were meant to be addictive,none were,this made her blase towards heroin,which is addictive.hope this helps

over a year ago

Bolton

Thanks to everyone who contributed and there are some really interesting points - I don't advocate sterilising people against their will - neither do I advocate murdering people who have a drug habit as one person in particular did! I just think that if you deny drug dealers of customers, reduce crimes associated with the abuse of drugs etc it has to be a positive step. It is everyones right to do as they please and if that includes taking drugs then so be it - but why should it detrimentally affect so many other people? If you were a seriously addicted person and had the chance to go to - lets call it a commune - where the drugs were available etc - surely you'd go? I also stated that if that person decided that they wanted to come off them then they should be given all the help they need to do so. Z

over a year ago

I don’t feel there is a one size fits all answer to this as there are far too many factors to deal with… the cartels, the dealers, the pushers, the current addicts and the next generation of addicts.

To help deter the next generation of addicts… I think kids of a certain age should be shown more pictures and footage of people laying dead in their own vomit. Videos of addicts begging for money, selling themselves, the places they live and most of all… cold turkey in prison. I think we pussyfoot around too much with details which go in one ear and out the other as soon as their mates turn up. I also think there could be some benefit in taking a few junkies into school. Not reformed ex-junkies who can only tell people how bad it was for them, because that gives too much of a mixed message as they are not fucked up now. Take in a proper screwed-up scumbag junkie…. just make sure they are a good 24hrs into the pain zone. Give kids something real and tangible standing in front of them. Show them what addiction can look (and smells) like in the flesh.

A scenario which is fairly common….

Person ‘A’ starts off with a few seemingly harmless recreational drugs because their mates are taking them… I say ‘seemingly’ harmless as for the majority of people in small quantities they do no lasting damage… but I know two people (I went to the same junior school as both of them) who are now seriously fucked up from smoking . I did know three but one topped himself when the voices in his head told him he should. Oh and a friend I grew up with, her ex-husband has amphetamine psychosis… he’s major league fucked up.

Anyway, person ‘A’ scores a bit of billy for the weekend and a bag of skunk to chill out with when they come down. The mate they get it off offers them a line of … you know the sort of thing…. one thing leads to another… person ‘A’ is introduced to new friends, they all say “yeah it’s great” and before you know it they are chatting to a few smackheads. The smackheads, like many smokers, all say “I can take it or leave it anytime I want”…. (like fuck can they). And before long person ‘A’ is sitting in a loo whilst some normal looking scumbag shoots up.

Many heroin addicts (when they are feeling no withdrawal symptoms) will tell people how in control they are, how the stuff they teach you about addiction is all bollox and how they could stop tomorrow if they wanted. Person ‘A’ is now faced with the dilemma of either believing something they have been told or believing something real and tangible standing in front of them… surely the person taking it knows more about it than any teacher or government leaflet.

It is also true that some people can take some really serious drugs and not become addicted, so may be it is not a typical scumbag junkie who is telling them “I can take it or leave it” and may be it is true they are not noticeably effected by any withdrawals… but then there is a difference between people ‘wanting a high’ and people ‘needing a high’… the latter being far more susceptible to manipulation and long-term addiction.

The people person ‘A’ surrounds themselves with influence their beliefs and behaviours; and the more time spent surrounded by the wrong people the more the ‘wrong’ becomes the norm…. they need something tangible and real to balance their decisions against.

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

original polo if more people were open minded on this issue, like you.instead of burying thier heads in the sand.we would maybe make some progress.imho

over a year ago

Bolton

Yes - i also think that a harder line approach to educate would be better than pussy footing about - polos post was spot on - people (older as well as kids) need to be shown the horrors that addiction will bring - Z

over a year ago

iv always used the hard approach with my nephews and neices when talkin about drugs to them. unfortunately they seen it from a very young age with the heroin addiction of some family members and i think its scared them.

i know they will still come across the recreational drugs its part and parcel of growing up but hopefully they have the sense to remember what it was like watchin a loved one go through cold turkey and the hearbreak they caused the family xx

By *lgernonMan
over a year ago

cupar

Spot on polo. As someone that (enjoys recreactional substances and) saw what heroin does to people, fuck that. Dragging a mumbling, puking mess cuffed to two coppers into school would do far more than the twee little Drug Morality Discussion Cards we were given to play with.

By *eppoch1970Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I was a registered nurse in kidney dialysis before I retired from nursing so I have seen the effects of what these things can do on the individual let alone the family and wider society.

From my own experience, my mother used alcohol "anaesthetically" due to giving up 2 children before she was 21 because the father was "putting it around", as his son now is on this very website, and then having a cot-death when I was 7yr old & also having mental health problems. I also used to go on alcohol binges when much younger to block out flash-backs & nightmares I would have because of being raped and abused as a kid/teenager(outside the family) & the difference between my darling mother (R.I.P.) and myself is that I went for help to deal with, and get over the past. People use alcohol, nicotine, marijuana and the other drugs for one reason and that is as a "crutch". I do not have a drink before having a "gentleman caller" visit. If you cannot have sex without alcohol or drugs, why do it??

& NO, I do not believe in 12-step recovery fellowships. They are Satanic.

over a year ago

"If you want to stop drug dealers then the easiest way is to legalise all drugs and put contro of the sellers and proceeds in the hands of the government. They already do it with two of the worst drugs you can have, tobacco and alcohol, both of which are addictive and lethal in different ways. The biggest threat that some so called dangerous drugs like cannabis, ecstasy, and speed have are the way they are 'diluted' with other substances to increase profits for drug dealers who are can't be held responsible for their actions."
at least if the government legalized cannabis and other drugs the would have control on what they are cut with and would be safer than street drugs and less crime cos you could get it without getting involved with dealers and legalization would also create more jobs for the country it works with cannabis in amsterdam cant see why it wouldn't here

over a year ago

Most of us are too weighed down with our own family and work life to stop, step back, and see the situation as a whole. In fact that's the problem for pretty much everything in this world, too much kneejerking and hate mobbing, instead of people making up their own minds based on real facts.

proven that extacy cause the body to heat up and puts pressure on the kidneys along with the heat and dancing of the taker makes them feel thirsty excessively then they drink to much water and its goodnite vienna, if she hadnt took it she wouldnt have died. some people react in different ways to these things and yes i do have personal experience of e i dabbled heavily in it when i was younger as did many people my age. and many died from things they wouldnt have died with if they hadnt took it x"

its not just about how the individual reacts it about what the dealers have put in it i only ever took one and i later found out it was ketamine i thought i was gonna die it was the worse 24hrs of my life so never again but if it hadn't been cut with anything i would have probably been fine

Post new Message to Thread