Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Online Child Protection - A Solution?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It's become blatantly obvious that more needs to be done to protect our children whilst they are online. Whose responsibility is it though, the parents? the child? the ISPs/SocNets?

I think it should be a combination of all parties to ensure a child's safety. We'd never let our children wander off with a stranger would we? We'd always vet those who look after our children while we go to work, wouldn't we?

The internet is no different.

So here's my solution:

The government has decreed that the ability to go online is now a human right, which means that everybody - including children - should not be denied access to the internet. But how do we protect children from the darker side of humanity whilst still allowing them freedom to roam the net conducting research for homework or using any of the many SocNets that are springing up daily?

As we all know, every person in the UK is issued a National Insurance number that is unique to them and held centrally on government databases. I propose a modified version of the N.I. number system whereby the parents of every child born in the UK is issued an Online Protection Identity number (OPI), which is also held centrally on govt databases. The OPI is valid from the moment the child is born until their 18th birthday, after which this unique number is permanently deleted or disabled.

Internet sites, services or SocNets that wish to allow children to use their online facilities MUST apply for a licence to access the OPI database and are issued with a Trusted Vendor Licence. NetNanny software can be programmed to accept access requests from TVL websites and the child can proceed to log in.

This sort of system prevents adults creating child accounts and then targetting children for grooming whilst still allowing children to use the internet safely. The OPI number is known to the parents but never to the child, who may inadvertently make their OPI number known, exposing it to abuse.

That's the outline of it, I'm sure it can be improved upon

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Thought you were heading towards the MP's ID cards there, but good recovery!

Not a bad idea at all, but then how do you stop children just using their parents computers, or signing up on sites intended for adults that don't require this OPI thingy-mi-jig, and pretending to be over 18 themselves?

over a year ago

"Thought you were heading towards the MP's ID cards there, but good recovery!

Not a bad idea at all, but then how do you stop children just using their parents computers, or signing up on sites intended for adults that don't require this OPI thingy-mi-jig, and pretending to be over 18 themselves?"

The protection of a child whist online is very much down to the parent to ensure that the sites they visit and register with are ok to use. Obviously, no system is foolproof and some smart kids are bound to make it a mission to slip through the net and some parents simply don't give a damn about what their kids do - you cannot legislate for that eventuality, only penalise those caught doing it.

What I'm saying is that a general policy of blanket protection for all children will ensure that peados won't be able to groom youngsters for whatever sick fantasy they have in mind for them. It requires an enormous effort of will on the part of content providers to make it work but I see no reason why it couldn't happen. Once a child has been identified as a child, filtering out adult accounts and making sure that they can only 'talk' to a minor after parental approval is a relatively easy thing to do. After all, with a system of this kind, OPIs will not be issued to adults, so if they don't have one associated with their account they can't chat to youngsters without someone else knowing about it.

I think it could work, and work well, but no system is infallible and some will always get through.

over a year ago

good post wishy.

there is software you can download that acts as a nanny and restricts access to unsuitable sites i use it for my daughters laptop plus the security filters built in to it.

when she is online her safety and exposure is my main concern so she is very closely monitored and her msn and that the conversations are saved and her social network site i have the password so i can check who she has as friends etc.

i have a friend who works in child protection and some of the stories she has told me how internet predators work scare the shit out of me .

im lucky im computer and net savvy but many parents arent xx

over a year ago

The recent case of the young girl murdered by a perv proves that although net nanny software does do a good job, it isn't enough by itself to protect young, inexperienced children to be safe online.

As internet access is now considered a 'must have' so should internet security be also considered a 'must have'. I wouldn't let my children speak to people I didn't know, didn't trust or hadn't vetted offline so why let them do it online.

over a year ago

Being open and honest with our children about the dangers of the internet is a must for all parents. Show an interest in what they are using the net for,be it chatting on facebook ect or googling for things. Parents themselves should make themselves aware or grooming and how to spot the danger signs.There are a few very good websites that can help you spot grooming and what to do if you suspect your child is in danger.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"It's become blatantly obvious that more needs to be done to protect our children whilst they are online. Whose responsibility is it though, the parents? the child? the ISPs/SocNets?

I think it should be a combination of all parties to ensure a child's safety. We'd never let our children wander off with a stranger would we? We'd always vet those who look after our children while we go to work, wouldn't we?

The internet is no different.

So here's my solution:

The government has decreed that the ability to go online is now a human right, which means that everybody - including children - should not be denied access to the internet. But how do we protect children from the darker side of humanity whilst still allowing them freedom to roam the net conducting research for homework or using any of the many SocNets that are springing up daily?

As we all know, every person in the UK is issued a National Insurance number that is unique to them and held centrally on government databases. I propose a modified version of the N.I. number system whereby the parents of every child born in the UK is issued an Online Protection Identity number (OPI), which is also held centrally on govt databases. The OPI is valid from the moment the child is born until their 18th birthday, after which this unique number is permanently deleted or disabled.

Internet sites, services or SocNets that wish to allow children to use their online facilities MUST apply for a licence to access the OPI database and are issued with a Trusted Vendor Licence. NetNanny software can be programmed to accept access requests from TVL websites and the child can proceed to log in.

This sort of system prevents adults creating child accounts and then targetting children for grooming whilst still allowing children to use the internet safely. The OPI number is known to the parents but never to the child, who may inadvertently make their OPI number known, exposing it to abuse.

That's the outline of it, I'm sure it can be improved upon"

Bloody hell that sounds suspiciously like an identity card!!!!!

*sits down in shock at whishys proposal*

over a year ago

Sure, the comparison can be made to ID cards but let's face it, we're all going to have them sooner or later whether it's in the form of a combined ID card - Driving Licence - Banker's Card - Tax Card, call it what you will, but it's going to happen. But it's only going to happen to adults, children need something to protect them too and an ID number (not a physical card) that is unique to the individual for online verification purposes only is one solution. If it saves one child from the clutches of perverts and paedos then it's worth it.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Sure, the comparison can be made to ID cards but let's face it, we're all going to have them sooner or later whether it's in the form of a combined ID card - Driving Licence - Banker's Card - Tax Card, call it what you will, but it's going to happen. But it's only going to happen to adults, children need something to protect them too and an ID number (not a physical card) that is unique to the individual for online verification purposes only is one solution. If it saves one child from the clutches of perverts and paedos then it's worth it."

Well i never i am shocked at you! IDENTICARD pro man now

You are right of course though the perverts need a dam close eye keeping on them alas

Post new Message to Thread