Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Happy Commonwealth Day (belated)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It's a day late but I forgot about it until just now when I was reminded whilst having a dump reading my 'Dangerous Book for Boys'.

Yesterday was Commonwealth Day. The Commonwealth is an organisation of 53 nations. (The word 'British' was dropped from the description so that India could remain members when it became an independant republic).

With the exception of Mozambique, which joined at the end of the 20th Century, the other 52 were all part of the British Empire. In fact, the Commonwealth was created as the peaceful twilight organisation of that empire. It has been largely successful, remaining a surprisingly influential group today. More than 1.8 billion people live in Commonwealth countries and Queen Elizabeth II broadcasts an address to them on Commonwealth Day (the 2nd Monday in March) each year. All 53 take part in the Commonwealth Games. The Commonwealth promotes democracy, equality and good governance not only amongst its own members, but also throughout the world. It gives aid and disaster relief to its members and provides funds for development and the eradication of poverty.

As a patriotic Brit, I wish you all a belated Happy Commonwealth Day.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Damn....spent so much time going through my obituaries that I missed it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
Post new Message to Thread