Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bravery

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’ve just heard an interview on Radio 4 with a 91 year old ex solider called Denis Avey. He was captured and held in a POW camp next to Auschwitz extermination camp. Somehow he got himself inside, stole a stripey uniform from a corpse and then returned on a regular basis to bring food and other supplies to the Jews. He even lost an eye on one occasion when he tried to prevent an SS guard beating a child.

What a guy and what bravery! He was so ‘matter-of-fact’ when interviewed, saying that he was afraid but he was able to sleep at night. I’m a coward and would probably not intervene in a fight (see Fight thread), and I’m pretty sure that, faced with the SS, I would have hidden myself away shaking with fear, but I’m glad there are people like Denis Avey in the world. Anyway I’ve just googled Denis Avey at there’s loads of stuff on the bbc website if anyone is interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8382457.stm

Tim

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's thanks to guys like him that we all have such freedom today, we owe all our service men and women, a never ending thank you. xxxxx

over a year ago

"I’ve just heard an interview on Radio 4 with a 91 year old ex solider called Denis Avey. He was captured and held in a POW camp next to Auschwitz extermination camp. Somehow he got himself inside, stole a stripey uniform from a corpse and then returned on a regular basis to bring food and other supplies to the Jews. He even lost an eye on one occasion when he tried to prevent an SS guard beating a child.

What a guy and what bravery! He was so ‘matter-of-fact’ when interviewed, saying that he was afraid but he was able to sleep at night. I’m a coward and would probably not intervene in a fight (see Fight thread), and I’m pretty sure that, faced with the SS, I would have hidden myself away shaking with fear, but I’m glad there are people like Denis Avey in the world. Anyway I’ve just googled Denis Avey at there’s loads of stuff on the bbc website if anyone is interested.

Tim

"

Just looked and it really makes you think about that generation.

over a year ago

Unfortunately there are not many People like that left and it makes me sad to think of some of the People we have to replace them.

My Grandad served for his Country but not in the same way as this Gentleman but he was a true Gentleman who treated People with respect, he was a tough Man but never even raised his voice to Nan but did clip me around the Ear for misbehaving.

We could certainly do with more of there type being around now.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

HUH??? What about all the guys and girls in the forces now ???

Big respect to them all

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

When I see the word 'Hero' being used to describe overpaid footballers I fume!

Men like Dennis hugely deserve the plaudit but it's over-use denies him the adulation he really does deserve. Like most outstanding men and women Dennis will quietly go about his life without crowing about his past exploits.

An admirable example of humanity.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

A young soldier just been in the news, a grenade got thrown at him and some mates, so he grabs it and throws it back, thinking "I might as well give it a go, as I will get hurt anyway, and I dont want my mates getting hurt".

True bravery.... taking action even when expecting to get hurt (or die), just like the bloke in the OP.

over a year ago

Many many Hero's walk among us daily, just going about their ordinary lives with extraordinary humility. xxxxx

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

For those interested I have a cross on my proile in respect of our brave soldiers, copy and paste if you want to put it on yours.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

I have something similar but it's in words

over a year ago

"I’ve just heard an interview on Radio 4 with a 91 year old ex solider called Denis Avey. He was captured and held in a POW camp next to Auschwitz extermination camp. Somehow he got himself inside, stole a stripey uniform from a corpse and then returned on a regular basis to bring food and other supplies to the Jews. He even lost an eye on one occasion when he tried to prevent an SS guard beating a child.

Tim

"

heard that interview too ,what a great guy he sounded ,so humble ..so brave .

hats off to him and huge respect to him .

Post new Message to Thread