Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

FUN TAX!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This article was in the paper yesterday...

Struggling family pubs are facing a "fun & games" tax bombshell which could drive many more out of business.

Landlords will be CLOBBERED by crippling new charges if they have a pool table, dartboard, kids' play area or show Sky Sports on TV.

Even those with a QUIZ machine will be hit with an extra £2,500 bill. Popular games based on TV hits like The Weakest Link will face the same levy as one-armed bandits.

The move will cost the industry £85million a year and could finish off quiz games - enjoyed in 35,000 pubs - as landlords opt for profitable fruit machines.

Publicans last night warned next month's business rate hikes, plus a Budget rise in beer tax, will be the final straw for many boozers. Already about 40 a week are closing - and 24,000 jobs have gone in the last year.

Shadow housing minister Grant Shapps said: "Gordon Brown has pushed local community pubs to the wall. Nice pubs are getting a kicking while nothing is done about the binge-drinking dens that have wrecked our town centres."

Brigid Simmons, of the British Beer & Pub Association, warned: "There will be more people gambling, as quiz machines vanish."

They go on and on about binge drinking yet they only penalise the family pubs leaving the town bars to carry on as they are!

Between the government, breweries and the supermarkets local family pubs will soon be a thing of the past!

what are they going to tax next, breathing? wouldn't surprise me!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

the pub trade has took a helluva battering and its not goin to get any better!!!

cheap supermarket drink that is the biggest cause of binge drinkin cause its not monitored whereas in a pub the staff should stop selling if someone had enough.

up here they closing at an awful rate and no one in government seems to care about the job losses and the impact its havin on communities.

rip the small village local xx

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"the pub trade has took a helluva battering and its not goin to get any better!!!

cheap supermarket drink that is the biggest cause of binge drinkin cause its not monitored whereas in a pub the staff should stop selling if someone had enough.

up here they closing at an awful rate and no one in government seems to care about the job losses and the impact its havin on communities.

rip the small village local xx"

No and i doubt very much they will do anything about it, as its one less meeting place for Joe public to meet.

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

I find it terribly sad that all the pubs are closing down.

One near me, he can only have 10 people in a night max, i dont know how he survives.

Firts they made em all samey samey with the beers, food and decor.

Then take away landlords choices and install many samey samey games machines.

Take away darts board and pool tables, takes up too much room.

Ban smoking.

Ban music cos need a liscence.

Ban talking - far too much entertainment.

Ban laughing - surely no-one goes out to actually enjoy themselves any more!!!

grrrr - far too much effort, lock the doors and go to the offy!

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

It’s a bitch and then some! For some reason the govt is intent on making it difficult for people to go out to the once available local. We had the same when they sold football pitches and playgrounds off in the past and we will never get them back . The local pub at this rate will be non existent while I see more McDonalds, and subways going up all over.

Post new Message to Thread