Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

jon venerables

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

i know this might spark high emotion but just seen on the news that one of the boys who killed jamie bulger is back in prison after breaching bale?

i thought when they were released they were gettin sent out the country?

the bit i really dont understand is why he was freed?

i know there is a press ban on any coverage of him or the other one but as the public should we have the right to know ?? i think we do and think he should never have been released thats my personal opinion x

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

he is in australia - should have been shot in my opinion - don't know much more about this but Steve mentioned it earlier - Z

Reply privately

over a year ago

i just caught a wee bit o it on the news and im assumin they will have been told what they could and couldnt say. xx

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

should still be locked up in my eyes

however if we must let them out then we have to give them half a chance of a semi normal life.

cant help thinking a bullet each would have saved us a whole lot of trouble and money in the long run.

Steve

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"he is in australia - should have been shot in my opinion - don't know much more about this but Steve mentioned it earlier - Z"

If he has been recalled to jail he must be in the UK. Just seen it on the news and its disgusting.

Reply privately

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"however if we must let them out then we have to give them half a chance of a semi normal life"

Being released gave him the opportunity to prove he'd learnt from his crime, as he's ended up back inside, clearly he hasn't and therefore should remain in prison for the foreseeable future.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"he is in australia - should have been shot in my opinion - don't know much more about this but Steve mentioned it earlier - Z

If he has been recalled to jail he must be in the UK. Just seen it on the news and its disgusting."

i think it's a world wide thing that they can be put back in prison regardless of where they are -

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is something wrong with a society that calls for the bloodletting of two 10 year old boys. Yes, their crime was horrific and no excuses can be made for that, but how many of us are the same people as adults that we were as children? I have changed for sure.

It is interesting that the Detective involved with the case back in 1993, and who got to know both boys reasonably well, has recently stated that of the two, it was his opinion that Venebales would be the least likely to do anything that would incur him being sent back to jail.

Nobody knows what he has done to breach his licence but returning to Merseyside could be one of them, or contacting the Bulger family could be another. We can't judge as we don't know. But I certainly couldn't bloody my hands on a 10y/o boy as most people wanted to do back then, and if he's changed now he's a man, then he deserves a second chance at life - he'll never be entirely free of his past and that's something he'll always have to live with.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Having just listened to the news, he must have been in the uk as he is being held in the uk. He would be held in a foreign country if he was living abroad and whilst it is likely to be on the news if he was being held in oz, it would definately be mentioned (ie, 'venables is being held in prison in oz')

As for emotions, they have served their time, they should be entitled to go on with their lives (unless there is a further brush with the law, as there seems to be in this case). The crime was heinous, but i don't think they were evil, just messed up. I think it is an unfortunate function of society that these things happen (are still happening and have probably always happened).

Reply privately

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Well i would agree with Wishy on this one as blood letting is not the answer. Its the Bulger family i feel sorry for as all the media attention must be hurting her badly.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I think we need to be a tiny bit careful when we talk about this here...

this was 16 years ago... they would now be 27, they were allowed out on when they were 18.... so we are talking about at least 9 years of not doing anything wrong....

I am not being an apologist for them at all....

All that we know is that he breached a part of his bail conditions as part of the original release.... the Dept of Justice haven't said which one...

some of the bail conditions were for example:

No contact allowed with the Bulger family....

No Contact allowed with each other....

No allowed to step foot in merseyside....

there were others that were made public and others that were not.... we don't know which rule he broke or how serious it was.....

until we know what transgression he made I don't we gain anything by specualating.....

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Fabio I agree with you to some extent....No we can't judge on the breach cos we don't know what it was. Having said that the conditions of their release would have been to protect the Bulger family, themselves to some extent and the general public.

If he has made contact wit the family then IMHO he should rot behind bars. As he would have raised all the heartache and dispair to the family again and this as a so called man is dispicable and unforgiveable.

If he has breached a condition protecting himself, then more fool him.

If he has breached a condition against the general public, then he didn't learn much whilst inside.

Prisons have a rule called sect43 ( the numbers) This rule was brought in to protect prisoners from the general populace of prisons for their own protection and it is given primarily to sex offenders. EG Peter Sutcliffe, the Wests' ETC.

I really do hope that he is NOT given the numbers opportunity. Because conditions of licence are not given lightly, so there must have been a major breach.

Has Jamie Bulger got a second chance of life?

Right that me off my soap box now, wearing a tin hat as I expect a lot off flack but by the nature of the thread it always was going to be highly emotive.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"i know this might spark high emotion but just seen on the news that one of the boys who killed jamie bulger is back in prison after breaching bale?

i know there is a press ban on any coverage of him or the other one but as the public should we have the right to know ?? i think we do and think he should never have been released thats my personal opinion x"

I think to stop any speculation then people should be told or at the very least, Jamies parents.

At the moment everyone is probably assuming the worse, but as others have said, it might not be a crime like he did to Jamie.

I know they were children at the time and know why they were protected, but what about the protection of Jamies parents and families peace of mind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I know they were children at the time and know why they were protected, but what about the protection of Jamies parents and families peace of mind.

"

The killers and the Bulger family are inextricably linked and will be so foerever more. In the same way that the Moors Murderers are forever linked to their victims and their victim's families, you cannot speak of one without invoking the other.

I've often wondered what makes a person kill, ie murder (not self defence), in particularly, serial killers - do they do it to forever 'own' their victims?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The lads were 10 years old and spent 8 years in secure accommodation.

Their case went back to the Courts when they were nearing 18yrs of age. Lord Woolf decided that it would be of no benefit to either of them to spend any time in what he called the corrosive atmosphere of a young offenders institution.

They were subsequently granted parole on a lifelong licence and given new identities to try and protect them.

Whether the court was right to give them a chance to prove that the incident, as evil as it was, was just an abboration on their part as children, I'm not sure.

But young Mr Venables it seems has shown that he cannot keep himself out of trouble.

I hope that Robert Thomson has turned his life around, because he, like Jamie's family, have to live each day with what he and his friend did.

Reply privately

over a year ago

send the fuc kers to me fo a hour they will wish they never lived and after i hd seen them they whouldnt

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I know they were children at the time and know why they were protected, but what about the protection of Jamies parents and families peace of mind.

The killers and the Bulger family are inextricably linked and will be so foerever more. In the same way that the Moors Murderers are forever linked to their victims and their victim's families, you cannot speak of one without invoking the other.

I've often wondered what makes a person kill, ie murder (not self defence), in particularly, serial killers - do they do it to forever 'own' their victims? "

Well if they didn't, that is exactly how it sadly ends up.

I just think everytime any of these killers are in the limelight it must be a nightmare for the parents ( more so than usual ) so I think whoever is in charge should decide to keep the parents informed at least.

PS I spelt peace instead of piece .

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"send the fuc kers to me fo a hour they will wish they never lived and after i hd seen them they whouldnt "

So you beat one up and maybe he dies from his injuries.....how does that make you any better than him?

I am of the opinion if you want to fight join the army.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"send the fuc kers to me fo a hour they will wish they never lived and after i hd seen them they whouldnt "

What gives you the right to inflict violence on someone who has served their full time for there offences? More sense and less bravado would be better utilised.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

To be fair, even the people who havn't got a violent bone in their body would have probably said at the time, give them to me for a nano second and I will do some damage to them.

I am guessing even though the Bulgers and their families have acted with great dignity through all of this would have said the same thing at some point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

What gives you the right to inflict violence on someone who has served their full time for there offences? More sense and less bravado would be better utilised."

But surely 10 years for murder can never be classed as a fit and proper sentence for murder.

Reply privately

over a year ago

they were 10 years old at the time, just children, so how long is long enough until they are released?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Personally I think they should have served some in an adult prison....which in turn probably means for a longer sentance.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Personally I think they should have served some in an adult prison....which in turn probably means for a longer sentance."

I think that one of the reasons for them not being transferred to an adult prison would have been the almost inevitable violence that would have been dealt out to them, now some may think that would have been a good thing but where does it all end?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Personally I think they should have served some in an adult prison....which in turn probably means for a longer sentance.

I think that one of the reasons for them not being transferred to an adult prison would have been the almost inevitable violence that would have been dealt out to them, now some may think that would have been a good thing but where does it all end?"

They have segregation for murderers etc..

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Personally I think they should have served some in an adult prison....which in turn probably means for a longer sentance.

I think that one of the reasons for them not being transferred to an adult prison would have been the almost inevitable violence that would have been dealt out to them, now some may think that would have been a good thing but where does it all end?

They have segregation for murderers etc.."

Peter Sutcliffe was in segregation when he was blinded in one eye, by a prisoner also in segregation for murder.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

They have segregation for murderers etc..

Peter Sutcliffe was in segregation when he was blinded in one eye, by a prisoner also in segregation for murder.

"

But isn't that the chance they take if they kill someone? Sutcliffe did a hell of a lot more than blind people.

Yes I know they were kids at the time, and I like a lot of people cried at the thought of not only a small child being killed, but that they were children who actually did it.

But for me, the only punishment they served was not being able to go out at night. they lived in comfortable surroundings with all mod cons.....so for me, they should have sevred some time at least in a place where they probably wouldn't want to go back to.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Whats your view jane?

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Whats your view jane?"

It's a very difficult one, made more difficult because not only was poor Jamie a child but that he was also killed by children.

If they could have been kept safe from other prisoners then of course I would have personally liked to have seen them spend a further Ten years in an adult prison.

Unfortunately they would not have learnt a thing by being in Solitary Confinement for Ten years in an adult prison, it's not an easy one to answer really.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

In a juvenile secure unit they do indeed try and replicate a home ideal. The kids usually have their own room, are encouraged to bring some of their own belongings and will be in "units" of around 6 kids. They'll eat together, sit together and watch TV and during school hours will be educated.

Each child is assigned a Keyworker who will spend time with the child in an effort to engage the child. Everything is geared to behaviour modification. There should be a lot of support within this environment for both the children and the staff in order to best achieve this aim.

Once a child reaches 18 years of age they are no longer part of this system. The next step is to move them to a juvenile offenders institute. The level of support and staff commitment is not as great here and there is always the danger that the work done whilst a child was in a secure unit could be undone.

When Lord Woolfe, back in 2001, ruled on a minimum tariff for Venables & Thompson I believe he had this latter point in mind.

It's a difficult decision, do you keep the youngsters in the criminal detention system and risk undoing any good work done with them as they were growing up. Or, do you set a minimum tariff that allows parole at a far earlier age to give them a chance to prove themselves worthy of a chance to reintegrate into society.

Young Thompson appears to have kept his head down and made a go of it. Venables is obviously no rehabilitated and undoubtedly deserves to be back where a lot of people think he should have stayed.

Mary Bell was a child killer. If my recollection is correct she killed 2 children. Like the 2 boys she was released on a lifelong license with a new identity. To the best of my knowledge she has reintegrated herself into as normal a life as she can without any further signs of disturbance on her part.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Whats your view jane?

It's a very difficult one, made more difficult because not only was poor Jamie a child but that he was also killed by children.

If they could have been kept safe from other prisoners then of course I would have personally liked to have seen them spend a further Ten years in an adult prison.

Unfortunately they would not have learnt a thing by being in Solitary Confinement for Ten years in an adult prison, it's not an easy one to answer really.....

"

I agree to some extent with Jane but surely prison is a punishment as well as trying to rehabilitate? I think that solitary for them for at least 10 years would have been pretty apt - although they were young they perpetrated an 'adult' crime and they knew full well what they were doing - they planned it as they lured Jamie away from his mum with the sole intention of harming him - thats premeditated and wicked - I still think they should have been shot regardless of their ages - harsh I know and most won't agree with me but I could still cry when I think about that poor baby being tortured. Z

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Sorry Stu but we don't know for certain the extent of Mr Venables parole violation.

Could just be that he has attempted to return to live in the Merseyside area, until we know more details (and Jack Straw said that won't be made public) then we surely can only speculate?

Reply privately

over a year ago

He knew the terms of his parole. If returning to Merseyside was something he'd been caught doing sooner then would have had more sympathy with him.

The terms of the license regarding new identity etc must have been hard on each of them.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"He knew the terms of his parole. If returning to Merseyside was something he'd been caught doing sooner then would have had more sympathy with him.

The terms of the license regarding new identity etc must have been hard on each of them."

new identity - hard on them?????? what a shame - at least they're alive! Z

Reply privately

over a year ago

would be hard on any juvenile giving up their identity and everything and everyone they knew, forced to keep themselves, who they are and what they've done as a secret while they tried to move on with their own lives.

Re building what life they could for themselves is something that they should have been allowed to do.

They would have been released anyway at some point. The issue is how long do you keep them within a system that could criminalise someone who may have been able to reintegrate and be a useful member of society.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The Home Secretary has announced that the reasons will be made public at some point, but cannot be presently as it may prejudice any future criminal proceedings.

He also back the public's right to know why Venables has been sent back to prison but obviously details can't be aired at this time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Niether of them should have ever been released never mind getting a new identity.. this country's far to soft with to many bloody do gooders

Reply privately

over a year ago

in a caring humane society ,,should we condem children to a life behind bars ???? i think not ,,they were despite the horrid crime just children ,,,as for being back in prison ,, lets wait and see what hes back in for

Reply privately

over a year ago

Zoe_Steve wrote:

" I still think they should have been shot regardless of their ages - harsh I know and most won't agree with me but I could still cry when I think about that poor baby being tortured. Z"

If you're the sort of person that could pull the trigger on a 10y/o child - regardless of what they've done - then I'd be worried about leaving you alone with my children.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"in a caring humane society ,,should we condem children to a life behind bars ???? i think not ,,they were despite the horrid crime just children ,,,as for being back in prison ,, lets wait and see what hes back in for "

So that being the case what sort of message does this send out to other so called children? do want they want get afew years locked up for it and go on shopping trips while locked up (the trafford centre) then get a new life an identity.. surely not

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"Zoe_Steve wrote:

I still think they should have been shot regardless of their ages - harsh I know and most won't agree with me but I could still cry when I think about that poor baby being tortured. Z

If you're the sort of person that could pull the trigger on a 10y/o child - regardless of what they've done - then I'd be worried about leaving you alone with my children."

I don't know if i could actually pull the trigger, would be able to if it had been my baby though. I am one of the softest, biggest hearted people you could wish to meet and adore children, and am very caring in general - the things they did to that little boy were horrendous compunded that they seemed to go out that day with the intent to commit such a crime - it was premeditated. Z

Reply privately

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

On a positive note, it is great to hear that they're movements are being monitored. This is now obvious as how else would they know bail conditions had been broken. It was a terrible crime and this now comes on the back of another terrible crime that was recently committed by children against children. We don't know the facts in this instance and my thoughts are with Jamie's family.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The sickeningly liberal attitude towards this scum by many on here beggars belief!!!

God,no wonder society is in the state it is when yobs rule the streets with all these bleeding heart sentiments.

What these little bastards did wasn't just naughty it was outright evil.

They didn't pinch apples ffs,they tortured a poor little tot in ways too horrible to imagine and were well old enough to know exactly what they were doing.

If I were the Bulgers,how I'd so want either of them to get in touch.

I'd welcome them to my home with open arms and send them out in a zipped up bag,which is what they fully deserve!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The sickeningly liberal attitude towards this scum by many on here beggars belief!!!

God,no wonder society is in the state it is when yobs rule the streets with all these bleeding heart sentiments.

They didn't pinch apples ffs,they tortured a poor little tot in ways too horrible to imagine and were well old enough to know exactly what they were doing.

I'd welcome them to my home with open arms and send them out in a zipped up bag,which is what they fully deserve!"

You have not understood why people are posting the way they are. It is not in acceptance of their crimes or, in your words, their sickeningly liberal attitude, that many have posted on here saying how Venables & Thompson should be permitted to get on with their lives. It is because the laws of our land has stated that they can, and without the law we would truly become a society where murder, rape and mayhem were the order of the day and we'd live a dog-eat-dog existence. Without the law we'd have nothing. We may not always agree with it, but we have to support it all the way or not at all.

There is another quite chilling aspect to a lot of the posts made on this thread - many of the posts that have called for these boys to have been shot, either now or at the time of their offences, have been by women. That really surprises me.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Wishy and I have on occasion had massively differing opinions on things on these forums, we clash politically....but have to give him credit for his post, which I agree with completely.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The sickeningly liberal attitude towards this scum by many on here beggars belief!!!

I'd welcome them to my home with open arms and send them out in a zipped up bag,which is what they fully deserve!

You have not understood why people are posting the way they are. It is not in acceptance of their crimes or, in your words, their sickeningly liberal attitude, that many have posted on here saying how Venables & Thompson should be permitted to get on with their lives. It is because the laws of our land has stated that they can, and without the law we would truly become a society where murder, rape and mayhem were the order of the day and we'd live a dog-eat-dog existence. Without the law we'd have nothing. We may not always agree with it, but we have to support it all the way or not at all.

There is another quite chilling aspect to a lot of the posts made on this thread - many of the posts that have called for these boys to have been shot, either now or at the time of their offences, have been by women. That really surprises me. "

It may well be the law of the land but as Dickens wrote and which is certainly true of the Bulger case, "the law is an ass!" and often is.

After what they did they ceased to be impish little lads anymore and became vermin.

Which is probably why many women have empathy with Jamies mother.

It would be the same as stamping on a cockroach.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You watch the news tonight and watch how 'responsible men & women' try and attack the van carrying those boys to prison in 1993. It chills me to the bone to think what would have happened had those 'responsible men & women' actually succeeded in stopping the van and wrenching the doors open.

They were boys with a lack or moral code and no sense of right & wrong. The blame lies squarely with their parents. I watch my young son at 10mos old and he has absolutely no idea about what is safe for him and what will kill him - he'll put it in his mouth either way. It's up to me to teach him that.

Reply privately

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

But most kids of 10 years old are MORE than aware of what is right or wrong.

Just that many kids these days choose to ignore it.

Its not always the blame of the parents - as gangs at school can make kids act totally differnt to how they act in the home.

Reply privately

over a year ago

just finding it really hard to believe anyone anywhere would have any sympathy what so ever for these two scumbags! whats the world coming to?

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Not so sure that I have seen much sympathy for these two young men, just understandable reaction to some people on here who are advocating killing Ten year old boys for a crime, however hideous their crime was.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Not so sure that I have seen much sympathy for these two young men, just understandable reaction to some people on here who are advocating killing Ten year old boys for a crime, however hideous their crime was.

"

Two young men? surely 2 pieces of what you'd wipe of your shoe if you stood in it.. anyway atleast for now one of them is back where they belong!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just out of interest.... To those of you who would have 'shot' or 'beaten' to death the two culprits rather than them suffer punishment set out by the laws decided by our society, the society in which, through election and process you have a say... How would you feel if democracy was replaced by a dictatorship?

Or does that not apply to you? The laws are only laws if you agree with them?

You can't have it both ways.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just finding it really hard to believe anyone anywhere would have any sympathy what so ever for these two scumbags! whats the world coming to? "

It's not sympathy I have for them, it's pity. They know what they've done and will have to live with it all their lives. Ask me if I think they should have ever been released and I'll say 'No', but it's been decided that they posed no further threat to society and were released. I'm not privvy to the reports on both men so I cannot say that they aren't.

If you take the case of the Krays, many people saw them as glamorous gangsters and that they'd served enough time in jail, yet they both killed in quite horrific circumstances and deserved to die in jail. As did the Moors Murderers. But those criminals were grown adults who knew not only was it wrong to kill but the likelihood of what would happen to them when they were caught. These boys couldn't have possibly conceived of what a lifetime in jail actually meant.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"just finding it really hard to believe anyone anywhere would have any sympathy what so ever for these two scumbags! whats the world coming to?

It's not sympathy I have for them, it's pity. They know what they've done and will have to live with it all their lives. Ask me if I think they should have ever been released and I'll say 'No', but it's been decided that they posed no further threat to society and were released. I'm not privvy to the reports on both men so I cannot say that they aren't.

If you take the case of the Krays, many people saw them as glamorous gangsters and that they'd served enough time in jail, yet they both killed in quite horrific circumstances and deserved to die in jail. As did the Moors Murderers. But those criminals were grown adults who knew not only was it wrong to kill but the likelihood of what would happen to them when they were caught. These boys couldn't have possibly conceived of what a lifetime in jail actually meant. "

sorry but having a 10yr old son ourselves we firmly believe they know right from wrong!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You watch the news tonight and watch how 'responsible men & women' try and attack the van carrying those boys to prison in 1993. It chills me to the bone to think what would have happened had those 'responsible men & women' actually succeeded in stopping the van and wrenching the doors open.

They were boys with a lack or moral code and no sense of right & wrong. The blame lies squarely with their parents. I watch my young son at 10mos old and he has absolutely no idea about what is safe for him and what will kill him - he'll put it in his mouth either way. It's up to me to teach him that. "

Theres a deal of difference between 10 months and 10 years of age.

Think about the same thing happening to your child,Heaven forbid,I'd bet our mortgage you'd be first in line to be banging on the van,screaming for blood.

I also doubt very much if you'd care what 'history' the perpetrators had either.......whatever, it gave them no right to do what they did.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You watch the news tonight and watch how 'responsible men & women' try and attack the van carrying those boys to prison in 1993. It chills me to the bone to think what would have happened had those 'responsible men & women' actually succeeded in stopping the van and wrenching the doors open.

They were boys with a lack or moral code and no sense of right & wrong. The blame lies squarely with their parents. I watch my young son at 10mos old and he has absolutely no idea about what is safe for him and what will kill him - he'll put it in his mouth either way. It's up to me to teach him that.

Theres a deal of difference between 10 months and 10 years of age.

Think about the same thing happening to your child,Heaven forbid,I'd bet our mortgage you'd be first in line to be banging on the van,screaming for blood.

I also doubt very much if you'd care what 'history' the perpetrators had either.......whatever, it gave them no right to do what they did. "

Here! Here! our sentiments exactly

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

sorry but having a 10yr old son ourselves we firmly believe they know right from wrong!"

Because YOU taught him that. Clearly, Venables & Thompson were lacking that sense of right & wrong.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

sorry but having a 10yr old son ourselves we firmly believe they know right from wrong!

Because YOU taught him that. Clearly, Venables & Thompson were lacking that sense of right & wrong. "

sorry but we don't buy that as an excuse they'd have known right from wrong from school even if the parents didn't give a s**t.. Just our opinion and no one will change it. Imagine it was one of yours god forbid how would you feel then?

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

The law of the land states, that a child of 10 and under IS NOT, criminally reponsible for their actions.

Unfortnately, we all know that there are some 10 yr olds, that are fully aware of what they are doing and there are others who are not.

The Law has to draw a line somewhere and the Law Lords in their infinate wisdom declared it to be 10 and under.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Because YOU taught him that. Clearly, Venables & Thompson were lacking that sense of right & wrong.

sorry but we don't buy that as an excuse they'd have known right from wrong from school even if the parents didn't give a s**t.. Just our opinion and no one will change it. Imagine it was one of yours god forbid how would you feel then?"

Devastated, but it still wouldn't make me pick up a stick and bludgeon a 10y/o child to death with it. I have a sense of what's right and what's wrong, you see.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just out of interest.... To those of you who would have 'shot' or 'beaten' to death the two culprits rather than them suffer punishment set out by the laws decided by our society, the society in which, through election and process you have a say... How would you feel if democracy was replaced by a dictatorship?

You can't have it both ways."

By dictatorship,do you mean an unelected leader?

One who pays scant regard to the wishes of the people?

One who 'does his own thing' with little regard for the people?

Someone like Gordon Brown perhaps?

Britain has had a democratically elected dictatorship for years.

They're all democratic until they get into power and then become dictators!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Think when people voted at the last general election they voted labour, and not Tony bLiar

Reply privately

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

They should say what he has done to breach the terms of his release and why he is back in prison.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"They should say what he has done to breach the terms of his release and why he is back in prison. "

They can't at this time as it may prejudice any possible criminal proceedings being considered against him.

If and when he is charged with a crime they will undoubtably release that information.

Reply privately

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Fascinating responses.

Nice to see 'an eye for an eye' is alive and well as a system of justice - presumably those of you advocating violence towards children also back the return of corporal punishment? Teach your children that violence deserves more violence?

Other, more moderate people wanted them locked up for life. Fair enough, can we build a prison in your garden please? Because the ones we have are FULL, and that's letting murderers out after an average of about 15 years (which is a lesser sentence, proportionally, than these two got). Plus, if life means life, then attempted murder will go from 5 years to 20, ditto rape, etc. We'd need 10 new prisons...

Finally, a potentially controversial point. I would rather they were out contributing to society, producing something, paying taxes etc, than sitting needlessly in a cell at my expense...AS LONG AS they do so. Now that one of them has,nt, he goes back. Seems like a good example of a sensible system working correctly.

Reply privately

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

"Just out of interest.... To those of you who would have 'shot' or 'beaten' to death the two culprits rather than them suffer punishment set out by the laws decided by our society, the society in which, through election and process you have a say... How would you feel if democracy was replaced by a dictatorship?

You can't have it both ways."

Most of our laws are ancient and can be traced back to the times of master and serf. The whole legal system needs an overhaul and I agree the law is an ass.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The alternative is to build more prisons and sentence more people that are found guilty for crimes to incarceration in these prisons.

England and Wales sit about 10th in the International prisoners per head of population charts with 152 per 100,000 population....In the States it is an incredible 760 per head......that is FIVE times more.

It currently costs around £41,000 a year to keep a person in prison in England & Wales at a total cost in 2008 of £4.325 Billion.

If we followed the American model for imprisoning people we would have to find an extra £21 Billion per year to do so.

Still want to put more people in prison?

Reply privately

over a year ago

was he actually in austrailia or have the public been lied to again?

what is the solution? he is now a 27 year old adult and to be honest i cant see him gettin taken back to prison for somethin trivial.

we only know what we are being told but it still makes you think where was he and what has he done and just how many chances should people get and raises the question of rehabilitation does it work?

my heart really goes out to the bulger family what that poor baby suffered at the hands of those two is utterly horrific and for that babys mum to live with the fact that they are out and about is more of a nightmare than any parent could imagine.xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"he is in australia - should have been shot in my opinion - don't know much more about this but Steve mentioned it earlier - Z"

Can you back up that he was in Oz and be for sure that it was Jon Venables.

Reply privately

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

"he is in australia - should have been shot in my opinion - don't know much more about this but Steve mentioned it earlier - Z

Can you back up that he was in Oz and be for sure that it was Jon Venables. "

- said this last night - thought steve said he was in Australia - bit off the cuff response with very little info at that time - Z

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've avoided this on the news and in the papers best I can, I've not read much of this thread either.

When it happened I had a small one the same age as James Bulger, it shocked me to the core, as with many others of course, but I really don't want to start thinking about it at all, I just caught the old footage on the news of James being led out of the shopping area and it brought all those feelings back for a moment.

I know we can't all go about not thinking about such things, but my thoughts would not help anyone surrounding this case, and would in fact only bring me down, so for your sake I avoid it, for those of you I bug, you don't want to experience me on a downer. lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" By dictatorship,do you mean an unelected leader?

They're all democratic until they get into power and then become dictators! "

You actually believe a law is passed as simply as a prime minister saying it is law? I think maybe you are being a tad subjective.

Mind you, if you are one of the 'take the law in my own hands and kill them' types, how can you complain if a prime minister seems to do only what you would do if you had that power? Again, you can't have it both ways.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" Most of our laws are ancient and can be traced back to the times of master and serf. The whole legal system needs an overhaul and I agree the law is an ass."

Can MOST of our laws really be traced back to the times of 'master and serf' (whenever that specifically is)... Can you give me a more accurate figure? A percentage say?

If the law needs an overhaul, who would do that? An elected body maybe? Maybe one that is voted for by the adult population of the country the laws are destined for?

If the law is an ass, maybe we should all be eating straw for breakfast?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh, and further to my last posting, how about this... We have a regular review, say every five years, where the adult population get a say in their opinion of the executive body they elected by having re-elections?

Reply privately

By *eprobatepairCouple
over a year ago

london

The fact is we don't know what Venables did to breach the terms of his licence, so how can we comment?

The act of killing Jamie Bulger was horrific. Did they mean to do so? Did they act with the intent to kill him? We don't know. Only they know.

Were they punished sufficiently? Who can "reasonably" answer that? The law of the land works on precendent. There was no precedent of a similar nature at the time. Tragically in South Yorkshire recently there has been a similar case.

In Africa children are forced to join Militia Groups after having been traumatised. How do you judge something so appalling?

No matter what we say, or what opinions we hold, it can't assuage the grief of the Bulger family or indeed the parents of the two boys who murdered Jamie.

Wishy was stating an opinion that in a democratic society advocating the death penalty on two juveniles would most likely be regarded as abhorrent to most people. He was not defending Venables. I have friend who works in Wakefield Prison guarding some of the most notorious criminals in the country like Shipman, Huntley, Bronson, Neilson et al. His opinion is that they are all pitiful creatures. Perhaps they should have been sent to Broadmoor indefinitely. Without knowledge we are just banging our gums.

In the Ascent of Man series in the 70s Bronowski talks of 4 million Jews flushed into a pond. He says:- It was not done by Arrogance. It was done by Dogma. It was done by Ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods. In the word of Oliver Cromwell:-

'I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken.'

Reply privately

over a year ago

By dictatorship,do you mean an unelected leader?

They're all democratic until they get into power and then become dictators! "

So do you have a problem with child murderers, children murderers, politicians, Gordon Brown or the whole fookin world in general?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The fact is we don't know what Venables did to breach the terms of his licence, so how can we comment?

The act of killing Jamie Bulger was horrific. Did they mean to do so? Did they act with the intent to kill him? We don't know. Only they know.

Were they punished sufficiently? Who can "reasonably" answer that? The law of the land works on precendent. There was no precedent of a similar nature at the time. Tragically in South Yorkshire recently there has been a similar case.

In Africa children are forced to join Militia Groups after having been traumatised. How do you judge something so appalling?

No matter what we say, or what opinions we hold, it can't assuage the grief of the Bulger family or indeed the parents of the two boys who murdered Jamie.

Wishy was stating an opinion that in a democratic society advocating the death penalty on two juveniles would most likely be regarded as abhorrent to most people. He was not defending Venables. I have friend who works in Wakefield Prison guarding some of the most notorious criminals in the country like Shipman, Huntley, Bronson, Neilson et al. His opinion is that they are all pitiful creatures. Perhaps they should have been sent to Broadmoor indefinitely. Without knowledge we are just banging our gums.

In the Ascent of Man series in the 70s Bronowski talks of 4 million Jews flushed into a pond. He says:- It was not done by Arrogance. It was done by Dogma. It was done by Ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods. In the word of Oliver Cromwell:-

'I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken.'"

Absolutely top post btw. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Reply privately

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

What i find ludicrous in this instant - is not that people stick up for these boys - but the fact they stick up them NOT knowing right from wrong!!!

Of course they knew!!!

ok - wishy saying that their van should not have been overturned by the GOOD people - how would those GOOD people feel if that van WAS overturned and that they had actually killed thoise boys??????????

It would not have brought Jamie back.

All it would have done would have added to the horrors that they would have been already suffering.

Its shit what those boys did - without a doubt - but WHATEVER happens to them - the families are never going to be at rest.

They were KIDS. Yes they knew right from Wrong. But at the end of the day - THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF THEIR ACTIONS would be.

And that is the differnce

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"The law of the land states, that a child of 10 and under IS NOT, criminally reponsible for their actions.

Unfortnately, we all know that there are some 10 yr olds, that are fully aware of what they are doing and there are others who are not.

The Law has to draw a line somewhere and the Law Lords in their infinate wisdom declared it to be 10 and under."

Sorry i apologise if I have mislead you.

A child is not criminally resposible until his/her tenth birthday

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Most of our laws are ancient and can be traced back to the times of master and serf. The whole legal system needs an overhaul and I agree the law is an ass."

I contest what you're saying here. Yes our legal system does go back to the Magna carter BUT the laws are reviewed as society changes. I have been working in the legal profession for the last 20 odd yrs and the amount of change to the statute is staggering even in my time.

Yes there are stupid laws that are still on the statute eg an Englishman is still legally bound in certain parts of the country to carry a bow, (as in bow and arrow). The death penalty was only fully repealed about 10-15 years ago now, as until then it was still a Capital offence to commit treason, or cause arson in HM dockyard.

AT the end of the day without these Laws we would have anarchy. I know where I would be better protected!

For all but serious offenders, we should make them work the most menial tasks, which the migrants are coming over for. This way it stops the migrant workers and it helps overcrowding in the prisons and it saves the country £42,000 per prisoner per year keeping them there. The money saved could be better spent on the NHS education and public services.

Getting back to the thread Venables must have breached a major condition of his licence or it has been a culmination of minor breaches and the authorities have said enough is enough.

Yes we all want to know but it is all sub judice at the moment. I would suggest that we all want the justice system to run it's true course.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd welcome them to my home with open arms and send them out in a zipped up bag,which is what they fully deserve!"

SO,, reading your post correctly ,,,,,, You would execute a ten year old child ???? or two ,,, hmmmmm ,,, would be nice to know if your in a position of responsibility ??

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

sorry but having a 10yr old son ourselves we firmly believe they know right from wrong! "

They knew right from wrong, that was accepted by the court or they wouldn't have stood trial, but that doesn't mean there reasoning was fully formed or they weren't suffering from some psychosis, which is highly likely.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"in a caring humane society ,,should we condem children to a life behind bars ???? i think not ,,they were despite the horrid crime just children ,,,as for being back in prison ,, lets wait and see what hes back in for

So that being the case what sort of message does this send out to other so called children? do want they want get afew years locked up for it and go on shopping trips while locked up (the trafford centre) then get a new life an identity.. surely not"

Fortunately most young children dont need the deterrent effect of being imprisoned to stop them committing murder, it's a very very rare occurence, when it happens it makes us examine ourselves and the society we live in, but to be honest I dont think it says much about either.

Ps: being taken out of their domestic environment, even if its an abusive one, away from their homes,, friends and schools, is very distressing for young children, so yes they will have felt it be 'punishment'.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Venables is apparently in custody for violently attacking a work colleague.

He has habitually used drugs like ecstacy and cocaine since his release, and still shows violent tendencies.

All this after being released as a supposed rehabilitated individual.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" All this after being released as a supposed rehabilitated individual."
I dont think anybody believed he'd leave custody and devote his life to the priesthood laine! This is an individual whose had a dysfunctional life from a very early age, it's been nearly 10 years since his release so he's not been in trouble for that period of time, the fact he's been recalled illustrates the system working and if the claims that are being made are true rather than speculation, then he'll probably find himself in difficulty trying to get past the Parole Board for a second time

Reply privately

over a year ago

" All this after being released as a supposed rehabilitated individual.

I dont think anybody believed he'd leave custody and devote his life to the priesthood laine! This is an individual whose had a dysfunctional life from a very early age, it's been nearly 10 years since his release so he's not been in trouble for that period of time, the fact he's been recalled illustrates the system working and if the claims that are being made are true rather than speculation, then he'll probably find himself in difficulty trying to get past the Parole Board for a second time "

prisons are suppsed to have four objectives: retribution, deterrence, rehabilitation and incapacitation.

In my humble opinion unless all four are applied equally and are shown to balance out then release is not an option.

Millions of pounds have been spent on Venables and Thompson's rehabilitation, yet as you say Venables has repeatedly shown violence and drug abuse, why wasn't he pulled off the street and incarcerated earlier?

This time though it is as an adult, and in an adult prison... how long will they be able to keep his identity hidden there?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

" it's been nearly 10 years since his release so he's not been in trouble for that period of time, "

Or he just hasn't been caught and convicted of anything.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He's had near brushes over the years due to drug addiction and violence, on one memorable occasion a police officer even put him over the bonnet of his car. I do think that they have been asked to turn a blind eye to 'slight' misdemeanours to give him a sporting chance... or is it just to let the 'rehabilitation' look to have worked?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Been reading this thread with some interest.

In 1993 these 2 boys were found guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment with a recommendation they serve a minimum of 8 years due to their ages at the time.

This was later increased to 10 and then 15 years, however these increases were adjudged to be wrong and the original sentence stood.

8 years later both were released and given anonimity to live out their respective lives on a life long licence, this meant if they broke ANY law therefore after they would be recalled and could serve the rest of their natural life behind bars.

Now reading the papers this morning the "RUMOUR" is that Jon Venables has developed a serious drug addiction since his release and is not adjusting to this new setup. He apparently was involved in a scuffle at work and was suspended. This in turn has been reported to the Courts and he was picked up.

His anonimity has gone out of the window now and whatever prison he is in will have details of his former life, this will in turn spread like wildfire around the prison.

Unless the officers of that particular prison keep him under 24hr supervision he will end up the victim of people showing the same violent tendencies as some posters to this thread.

Jon Venables was 10yrs old when he and Robert Thomson abducted and murdered Jamie Bulger, this nation was appalled by what they did and by the sentence imposed.

He was released at 18yrs old and has had severe troubles trying to remain anonymous and has since developed a dependancy to drugs. The paper I read did not mention what he is dependant on. This could be prescribed pills for stress related illness for all we know.

Remember, since 2001 there have been groups trying very hard to uncover the anonimity of both boys, one in particular lead by Ralph Bulger himself.

Yes as a father I would want retribution but 17 yrs later I think I would have buried it in the past with my son.

There is the old saying let the punishment fit the crime, but the UK has become a "Nanny" state and too many people are getting away with too much these days.

We abolished capital punishment in the 60's as it wasn't working, and the nlater we abolished corporal punishment as it wasn't working either.

Neither have been replaced with anything stronger than community service or a short prison sentence.

So where do we go from here.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"He's had near brushes over the years due to drug addiction and violence, on one memorable occasion a police officer even put him over the bonnet of his car. I do think that they have been asked to turn a blind eye to 'slight' misdemeanours to give him a sporting chance... or is it just to let the 'rehabilitation' look to have worked? "

If that is true, then yes, it looks like a cover up to pretend the "rehabiliation" worked.

The Bulger family must feel great knowing all that time and justifiying that was spent " rehabiliating" them worked

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

Remember, since 2001 there have been groups trying very hard to uncover the anonimity of both boys, one in particular lead by Ralph Bulger himself.

Yes as a father I would want retribution but 17 yrs later I think I would have buried it in the past with my son.

"

I think no one could ever know what they would do if they had been in that situation to be honest.

Reply privately

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

"in a caring humane society ,,should we condem children to a life behind bars ???? i think not ,,they were despite the horrid crime just children ,,,as for being back in prison ,, lets wait and see what hes back in for

So that being the case what sort of message does this send out to other so called children? do want they want get afew years locked up for it and go on shopping trips while locked up (the trafford centre) then get a new life an identity.. surely not"

dont forget the football matches as well i think they should have been left to rot in prison what they did to that child was worse than murder

Reply privately

over a year ago

None of my kids were brutally murdered but 15 years ago my 13yr old daughter was attacked and raped, her brother was beaten up by the same guy and his mates.

For the next 4 years of her life she was continually bullied daily at school by this persons friends.

The Police did f**k all about it and neither did the school.

I was not aware of any of this until she tried to commit suicide when she was 21 yrs old and dependent on drugs.

I have tried to track the guy down myself but he has disappeared.

I have had 7 years now to let it sleep. What good would it do to my daughters welfare if the only man left in the world she trusts was bangedup in jail for the senseless murder of a piece of scum who will get his day.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"None of my kids were brutally murdered but 15 years ago my 13yr old daughter was attacked and raped, her brother was beaten up by the same guy and his mates.

For the next 4 years of her life she was continually bullied daily at school by this persons friends.

The Police did f**k all about it and neither did the school.

I was not aware of any of this until she tried to commit suicide when she was 21 yrs old and dependent on drugs.

I have tried to track the guy down myself but he has disappeared.

I have had 7 years now to let it sleep. What good would it do to my daughters welfare if the only man left in the world she trusts was bangedup in jail for the senseless murder of a piece of scum who will get his day. "

I am not trying to trivialise what you have written but your last sentance says " what good would it do my daughter " There is a difference , your daughter is still here to watch you.

I know the dad has a new family now and everyone would hope he can live his life as near normal as he can, but I still think no one would know what they would do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Or he just hasn't been caught and convicted of anything."

That's true, but it's a sentiment that could be equally applied to anybody we chose to point the finger at though couldn't it?

The fact is juveniles released on license from an indeterminate sentence are closely supervised by the probation service and you can imagine the police might have a natural interest in them too.

None of us as yet knows what the breach is or how this individual has been living post release since any reference to who he is or his activities in the media would breach an active court order.

But what we do know is he's subject to recall if he breaches a wide range of conditions from reoffending to failure to attend interviews with the people who are supposed to be supervising him.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anton, i'm so sorry to hear about what your family has had to endure, I hope your daughter and yourself are now getting the support and help to enable you to move on and put those horrible incidents the past.

Best wishes for your family and yourself,

PS, I hope you can continue with the mature attitude in putting your daughters wellfare ahead of your desire for vengance.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Or he just hasn't been caught and convicted of anything.

That's true, but it's a sentiment that could be equally applied to anybody we chose to point the finger at though couldn't it?

."

Of course, goes without saying, but most of us are not on licence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i personally believe there should be no segregation if all prisoners whatever their crime had to serve their time with the general prison population without the protection of segregation maybe just maybe they would think twice kev

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course, goes without saying, but most of us are not on licence."

I agree which is why he's supervised in the community and we're not, so I'd say the chances of him re offending and getting away with it are probably the same as Joe Public's.

The fact he's been recalled suggests that supervision is working, if he has been doing what has been suggested it's unlikely a future Parole Board will look on his appplication favourably, which would be a good outcome from my point of view

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Been reading this thread with some interest.

In 1993 these 2 boys were found guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment with a recommendation they serve a minimum of 8 years due to their ages at the time.

This was later increased to 10 and then 15 years, however these increases were adjudged to be wrong and the original sentence stood.

8 years later both were released and given anonimity to live out their respective lives on a life long licence, this meant if they broke ANY law therefore after they would be recalled and could serve the rest of their natural life behind bars.

Now reading the papers this morning the "RUMOUR" is that Jon Venables has developed a serious drug addiction since his release and is not adjusting to this new setup. He apparently was involved in a scuffle at work and was suspended. This in turn has been reported to the Courts and he was picked up.

His anonimity has gone out of the window now and whatever prison he is in will have details of his former life, this will in turn spread like wildfire around the prison.

Unless the officers of that particular prison keep him under 24hr supervision he will end up the victim of people showing the same violent tendencies as some posters to this thread.

Jon Venables was 10yrs old when he and Robert Thomson abducted and murdered Jamie Bulger, this nation was appalled by what they did and by the sentence imposed.

He was released at 18yrs old and has had severe troubles trying to remain anonymous and has since developed a dependancy to drugs. The paper I read did not mention what he is dependant on. This could be prescribed pills for stress related illness for all we know.

There is the old saying let the punishment fit the crime, but the UK has become a "Nanny" state and too many people are getting away with too much these days.

We abolished capital punishment in the 60's as it wasn't working, and the nlater we abolished corporal punishment as it wasn't working either.

Neither have been replaced with anything stronger than community service or a short prison sentence.

So where do we go from here.

"

17 days months years or decades as a father i would still want retribution and if it took my dying breath i would get it as for a nanny state i totally agree eye for an eye im my opinion

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

As stated in a previous thread. He would have been under countless conditions, some minor and some major.

A minor one for example might be to report to his probation officer a major one would be not to contact the Bulger family.

The courts would not recall him for 1 breach of a minor condition but they would recall him for a breach of a major one.

I see that the Daily Mirror has printed that he was recalled for a scuffle and that he was abusing drugs.

Fine recall the bastard and throw away the key if this is true.

My only hope is that the Daily Mirror has not jeopadised the case against him as it is all Sub Judice at the moment.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Of course, goes without saying, but most of us are not on licence.

I agree which is why he's supervised in the community and we're not, so I'd say the chances of him re offending and getting away with it are probably the same as Joe Public's.

The fact he's been recalled suggests that supervision is working, if he has been doing what has been suggested it's unlikely a future Parole Board will look on his appplication favourably, which would be a good outcome from my point of view "

I would half agree with that.

I agree that when he was arrested his name must have flagged up that he was on licence, so yes, that has worked...but would someone on licence be supervised whatever they do?

Would they be supervised while out on the falling down juice on a saturday night etc? I can't see anyone being supervised 24 hours a day. So I suppose if he was to do anything against the rules of his licence and there was no one there to wtiness it or for him to be arrested, then he could have been getting away with lots of things for years.

On another note....the News just this minute has just said that although not confirmed by the powers that be.....he was arrested for having a scuffle at work with a colleague and was suspended from work.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i know this might spark high emotion but just seen on the news that one of the boys who killed jamie bulger is back in prison after breaching bale?

i know there is a press ban on any coverage of him or the other one but as the public should we have the right to know ?? i think we do and think he should never have been released thats my personal opinion x

I think to stop any speculation then people should be told or at the very least, Jamies parents.

At the moment everyone is probably assuming the worse, but as others have said, it might not be a crime like he did to Jamie.

I know they were children at the time and know why they were protected, but what about the protection of Jamies parents and families peace of mind.

"

i wholeheartedly agree (joe)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I agree that when he was arrested his name must have flagged up that he was on licence, so yes, that has worked...but would someone on licence be supervised whatever they do?"

No they wouldn't but believe me, someone on a life license is highly likely to behave themselves because theoretically they can be returned to prison, immediately with no further court case, to serve out the balance of their sentence, it's an extremely hazardous privilege to abuse.

"

Would they be supervised while out on the falling down juice on a saturday night etc? I can't see anyone being supervised 24 hours a day. So I suppose if he was to do anything against the rules of his licence and there was no one there to wtiness it or for him to be arrested, then he could have been getting away with lots of things for years."

No, they're not supervised 24 hours a day, probably nothing like it, I'd guess he has reporting restrictions and the probabtion service have the right to call on him whenever they want to. But if I was released from prison on a life sentence I'd make sure I wasn't involved in criminal behaviour which would mean an immediate recall to prison, it's a very good way of motivating them to behave as you can imagine.

"

On another note....the News just this minute has just said that although not confirmed by the powers that be.....he was arrested for having a scuffle at work with a colleague and was suspended from work."

Well if that's the case it's a fairly minor misdemeanor, assuming it hasn't resulted in charges, but it's landed him back in prison nonetheless.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

I agree that when he was arrested his name must have flagged up that he was on licence, so yes, that has worked...but would someone on licence be supervised whatever they do? No they wouldn't but believe me, someone on a life license is highly likely to behave themselves because theoretically they can be returned to prison, immediately with no further court case, to serve out the balance of their sentence, it's an extremely hazardous privilege to abuse.

Would they be supervised while out on the falling down juice on a saturday night etc? I can't see anyone being supervised 24 hours a day. So I suppose if he was to do anything against the rules of his licence and there was no one there to wtiness it or for him to be arrested, then he could have been getting away with lots of things for years. No, they're not supervised 24 hours a day, probably nothing like it, I'd guess he has reporting restrictions and the probabtion service have the right to call on him whenever they want to. But if I was released from prison on a life sentence I'd make sure I wasn't involved in criminal behaviour which would mean an immediate recall to prison, it's a very good way of motivating them to behave as you can imagine.

On another note....the News just this minute has just said that although not confirmed by the powers that be.....he was arrested for having a scuffle at work with a colleague and was suspended from work. Well if that's the case it's a fairly minor misdemeanor, assuming it hasn't resulted in charges, but it's landed him back in prison nonetheless."

Yeah you would hope that was a deterrent and would frighten most people off wanting to go into prison. ...but it might not of frightened him enough by the sounds of it.

I am hoping the supervision is more than other supervision that has been reported of late, about SS etc ( although thats a whole different debate)

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Thinks we're going round in circles now.

Can I sum this up.......... WE'RE ALL GLAD THE BASTARDS WHERE HE BELONGS, BEHIND BARS

IMHO

Reply privately

over a year ago

As far as I understand, when you are released early, it under licence, and can be recalled back to Prison at any time if you breach any conditions placed on you and if you are deemed to be safe...

All to do with making room, and giving people a chance to prove they have learnt from their mistakes.

Also cheaper to have them out of prison than in....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I see. So you like to kill people then ? And you especially like to kill people who have killed because killing people is wrong ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My only hope is that the Daily Mirror has not jeopadised the case against him as it is all Sub Judice at the moment.

"

Is there a case against him ? It's just a recall to prison, I thought. And therefore not sub judice either ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"send the fuc kers to me fo a hour they will wish they never lived and after i hd seen them they whouldnt

I see. So you like to kill people then ? And you especially like to kill people who have killed because killing people is wrong ?"

Is that a rhetoric question? lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"send the fuc kers to me fo a hour they will wish they never lived and after i hd seen them they whouldnt

I see. So you like to kill people then ? And you especially like to kill people who have killed because killing people is wrong ?

Is that a rhetoric question? lol "

don't know, I'd kill for an answer !

Reply privately

over a year ago

seems like we have a few homocidal nutters on here ,,, thank fuck its a forum and not a jury ... i find it hard to comprehend folks ( adults ) who think is ok to kill ten year old kids ,,,, not a world i,m happy living in ,,, I'm a numpty ,,,, get me outa here

Reply privately

over a year ago

"seems like we have a few homocidal nutters on here ,,, thank fuck its a forum and not a jury ... i find it hard to comprehend folks ( adults ) who think is ok to kill ten year old kids ,,,, not a world i,m happy living in ,,, I'm a numpty ,,,, get me outa here "

Would you think that way if it was your toddler they tortured and killed?

Reply privately

over a year ago

my info is that the person in question was living and working near warrinton and got involved in a fight with another guy and once arrested was then taken back to prison,,,, i must add this cant be confirmed

Reply privately

over a year ago

"seems like we have a few homocidal nutters on here ,,, thank fuck its a forum and not a jury ... i find it hard to comprehend folks ( adults ) who think is ok to kill ten year old kids ,,,, not a world i,m happy living in ,,, I'm a numpty ,,,, get me outa here

Would you think that way if it was your toddler they tortured and killed?"

Yes ,,, i would think the same way ,,,, just interested ,, how would you feel after killing two ten year old boys ?? would you shoot them ?? kick them to death ?? hang them ?? please ... tell me how you would prepare your self for the act ,,, would you take drugs first ? maybe have a few drinks ,,, invite ya friends over ?? come on ,, talk me through how you would kill two TEN year old boys ????

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think this thread has proven beyond all doubt that unless you are defending yourself in a life or death situation it is wrong to kill, which is why we - Yes, WE - repealed capital punishment.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial and that's what those boys got. They were convicted and jailed for their crimes and served the sentence that was meted out to them. Then they were released under special conditions and now one of them has broken some of those conditions and is back in jail.

What further proof do you need that the system we have works, and it works well.

How the Bulger family feel about Venables & Thompson is a matter for them and them alone and nothing will ever assuage the anger they feel towards those who murdered Jamie, even, I suspect, long after Venables & Thompson have departed this world themselves.

I know I shall sleep soundly tonight safe in the knowledge that if someone accused me of a crime I did not commit that I won't be executed for it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

explain how 2 10 year olds could kill a baby??

i can understand why people see the death penalty as sufficient in cases like this , cases which seem pure evil and removing them from society by death would maybe serve as a warning or put others off or make people feel better knowing they couldnt do it again.

but on the other hand they are children and to kill a child seems evil .

i honestly dont know where i stand with this as one side of me says they should have hung, the other side says they should have had the chance to prove they could manage in society after intensive rehabilitation but as he has breached the conditions, the lock up and throw away the key seems the best option x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"seems like we have a few homocidal nutters on here ,,, thank fuck its a forum and not a jury ... i find it hard to comprehend folks ( adults ) who think is ok to kill ten year old kids ,,,, not a world i,m happy living in ,,, I'm a numpty ,,,, get me outa here

Would you think that way if it was your toddler they tortured and killed? Yes ,,, i would think the same way ,,,, just interested ,, how would you feel after killing two ten year old boys ?? would you shoot them ?? kick them to death ?? hang them ?? please ... tell me how you would prepare your self for the act ,,, would you take drugs first ? maybe have a few drinks ,,, invite ya friends over ?? come on ,, talk me through how you would kill two TEN year old boys ????"

Nah would be stone cold sober pull the trigger then do my time like any loving parent would do for their child... eye for an eye

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is something wrong with a society that calls for the bloodletting of two 10 year old boys. Yes, their crime was horrific and no excuses can be made for that, but how many of us are the same people as adults that we were as children? I have changed for sure.

It is interesting that the Detective involved with the case back in 1993, and who got to know both boys reasonably well, has recently stated that of the two, it was his opinion that Venebales would be the least likely to do anything that would incur him being sent back to jail.

Nobody knows what he has done to breach his licence but returning to Merseyside could be one of them, or contacting the Bulger family could be another. We can't judge as we don't know. But I certainly couldn't bloody my hands on a 10y/o boy as most people wanted to do back then, and if he's changed now he's a man, then he deserves a second chance at life - he'll never be entirely free of his past and that's something he'll always have to live with."

I couldn't agree with you more!

What he did as a child was henious and I have no idea how the Bulger family got over their terrible loss.

That said I'm a different person today compared to the meek woman who finally left her husband seven years ago let alone how I was at 10!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Nah would be stone cold sober pull the trigger then do my time like any loving parent would do for their child... eye for an eye"

So those that wouldn't do it love their children less than those that would?

Your argument is so full of holes that if it was a boat it would sink in seconds.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/03/10 22:56:53]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Nah would be stone cold sober pull the trigger then do my time like any loving parent would do for their child... eye for an eye

So those that wouldn't do it love their children less than those that would?

Your argument is so full of holes that if it was a boat it would sink in seconds."

Ok then how could you live your life knowing you did nothing? I would die of shame... the memory of that incident would be with you till the day u die and if you did nothing you can think to yourself before u go oh well if only I could have gone bk in time... who's point would sink in seconds??? On a lighter note am gona go and kiss my kids (cause I can...) and go to my bed nite all xxx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think this thread has proven beyond all doubt that unless you are defending yourself in a life or death situation it is wrong to kill, which is why we - Yes, WE - repealed capital punishment.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial and that's what those boys got. They were convicted and jailed for their crimes and served the sentence that was meted out to them. Then they were released under special conditions and now one of them has broken some of those conditions and is back in jail.

What further proof do you need that the system we have works, and it works well.

How the Bulger family feel about Venables & Thompson is a matter for them and them alone and nothing will ever assuage the anger they feel towards those who murdered Jamie, even, I suspect, long after Venables & Thompson have departed this world themselves.

I know I shall sleep soundly tonight safe in the knowledge that if someone accused me of a crime I did not commit that I won't be executed for it."

Excellent post wishy, what happened to James was horrendous and shocking, but executing his murderers doesn't bring him back, in fact it wouldnt even act as a deterrent for crimes of that nature committed by children-all it would achieve is more blood letting and provide an opportunity for some members of the general public, with no connection to James to beat their chests in indignation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"my info is that the person in question was living and working near warrinton and got involved in a fight with another guy and once arrested was then taken back to prison,,,, i must add this cant be confirmed "

If that is correct who in there right mind decided it would be ok for him to live near Warrington?????????

It is not exactly a million miles away from Merseyside from which as part of his parole he is barred from.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think this thread has proven beyond all doubt that unless you are defending yourself in a life or death situation it is wrong to kill, which is why we - Yes, WE - repealed capital punishment.

I know I shall sleep soundly tonight safe in the knowledge that if someone accused me of a crime I did not commit that I won't be executed for it.

Excellent post wishy, what happened to James was horrendous and shocking, but executing his murderers doesn't bring him back, in fact it wouldnt even act as a deterrent for crimes of that nature committed by children-all it would achieve is more blood letting and provide an opportunity for some members of the general public, with no connection to James to beat their chests in indignation."

You miss understand I said that is what I would do if it was my child they tortured and killed but as it has turned out this pervert has app "seriously sexually assulted" someone.... says it all really doesn't it... wonder how old they were?...

Reply privately

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

10 years old or not should of executed them. have we all forgot what they did to james?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"10 years old or not should of executed them. have we all forgot what they did to james?"

Pray, please tell, what method would you use to execute a ten year old boy? Cut his head off? Stab him? Who will hold him down for you to stop him struggling while you slit his throat? Or beat him to death with a brick?

If you could do any of those things to a ten year old child then you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children!

Reply privately

By *ones_BoothCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

the system lets us down all the time, but in the extreme circumstances of these two boys and what they did to Jamie, they shouldnt have been let out, they should have had a supervision order on them for life, or prison/borstol what ever, but it goes to show that not many offenders go 'straight'

Reply privately

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Apparently hes been back in prison for child pornography offences. Ten year olds couldn't have been put to death I agree, despite how we all felt they should be. Both Venanbles and Thompson are adults now so I think they should be shot thats my opinion. Why should they be allowed to get on with their lives, poor little Jamie can't?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Excellent post wishy, what happened to James was horrendous and shocking, but executing his murderers doesn't bring him back, in fact it wouldnt even act as a deterrent for crimes of that nature committed by children-all it would achieve is more blood letting and provide an opportunity for some members of the general public, with no connection to James to beat their chests in indignation.

You miss understand I said that is what I would do if it was my child they tortured and killed but as it has turned out this pervert has app "seriously sexually assulted" someone.... says it all really doesn't it... wonder how old they were?... "

Sorry hot/horny, but I wasn't responding to your post.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Apparently hes been back in prison for child pornography offences. Ten year olds couldn't have been put to death I agree, despite how we all felt they should be. Both Venanbles and Thompson are adults now so I think they should be shot thats my opinion. Why should they be allowed to get on with their lives, poor little Jamie can't? "

So they should be shot for crimes they committed when they were children? Should we hold all adults responsible for the crimes they committed when they were children?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Apparently hes been back in prison for child pornography offences. Ten year olds couldn't have been put to death I agree, despite how we all felt they should be. Both Venanbles and Thompson are adults now so I think they should be shot thats my opinion. Why should they be allowed to get on with their lives, poor little Jamie can't? "

i woudnt shoot them but i would have kept them locked up for a lot longer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The problem is those boys were evil and it looks like one still is so what do you do with people like that?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wonder if government will eventually cave in and tell us why he's been recalled to prison ?

Many _umours abound, but it would be nice to be told the truth, or will it all be covered up so he can be released again and given another new identity in order to protect him

Reply privately

over a year ago

No doubt it will it all be covered up so he can be released again and given another new identity in order to protect him! again with the cost past onto us as the tax payers! Bloody discusting...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Radio 4 said that it was to do with child pornography on the computer and have to say we trust them. Thought we would never say this but think maybe the idea that prison is seen as "less eligible" ie worse than anything on the outside may act as more of a detterant unfortunately it appears we have a society that knows all of its rights and none of its responsibilities

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Radio 4 said that it was to do with child pornography on the computer and have to say we trust them. Thought we would never say this but think maybe the idea that prison is seen as "less eligible" ie worse than anything on the outside may act as more of a detterant unfortunately it appears we have a society that knows all of its rights and none of its responsibilities"

Does this tell us a leopard cannot change it's spots?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"10 years old or not should of executed them. have we all forgot what they did to james?

Pray, please tell, what method would you use to execute a ten year old boy? Cut his head off? Stab him? Who will hold him down for you to stop him struggling while you slit his throat? Or beat him to death with a brick?

If you could do any of those things to a ten year old child then you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children!"

I would have shot them both - stone cold sober and then would have done my time with my head held high. As pointed out they are both now grownups - does that change your view on getting justice for what they did? (serving 8 years with playstations/tv/etc is not justice in my eyes) or you quite happy for them to be walking around beasting whoever they want to cause "its ok" in your opinion for what they did? to my mind and most other peoples minds its not ok to be honest a bet you anything it is just more than a few pics on his pc - time will tell. I also bet you anything peeps like Ian Huntley will be watching this with great interest cant have one rule for one and not the other - as a grown man his identity should not now be hidden and very much look forward to hearing about what the other cell mates will do to him! he was given a second chance and blew it shows it is in his genetic make up. Therefore he can't help himself just put him down and do the world a favour!!!

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Funny how the reason why Venables was recalled from prison has changed three times in as many days, first of all we had the 'Exclusive' that he had attacked a colleague in the workplace, the next day the 'Exclusive' changed to an assault on an unknown person outside a nightclub, then the latest 'Exclusive' by the Sun cites Child Pornography as the reason.

One has to wonder what tommorrow will bring in the way of 'Exclusives' in the tabloids.....

The reason that the government cannot legally state the reason is because it will possibly prejudice any future prosecution, absolutely no use taking this murderer to court for a new offence if it is thrown out because they cannot swear in a jury of Twelve people who haven't been influenced by a frenzied tabloid press.

It's time the newspapers showed some sense and stopped all the speculation so this convicted murderer can be tried and punished in open court without the fear of the case being deemed unjust.

Reply privately

over a year ago

if it has been child porn plus all these other things at are comin out such as the drugs and assaults etc has the authorities and government decided it is time for this piece of scum to be back in jail for public safety? personally and i dont care who i offend when i say this, if it was child porn then he should be shot he is an ADULT now and knows the consequences. he will have had every form of help going and its now showing that he cant live in normal society.

What would the upcry have been if he had done something to another child would we be able to shoot the scumbag yet? would we blame the government, prison system and everyone else instead of the person who did it and had all the chances. let the bastard rot somewhere away from the rest of society but not at the cost to us he is not a child anymore.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He is no longer a child at 10 he is an adult and as a result of breaking his licence should loose all rights to his freedom and not the public but jamies parents have the right to know who he is. What is wrong with this country when all the government does is protect the criminals and not the victims.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No doubt there will be quite a few 27 year old scousers in prison shitting themselves, and watching their backs.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"He is no longer a child at 10 he is an adult and as a result of breaking his licence should loose all rights to his freedom and not the public but jamies parents have the right to know who he is. What is wrong with this country when all the government does is protect the criminals and not the victims. "

Not sure if you are a mother yourself, but being the mother of two sons I can say hand on heart that at the age of Ten my sons were very much children.....

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"He is no longer a child at 10 he is an adult and as a result of breaking his licence should loose all rights to his freedom and not the public but jamies parents have the right to know who he is. What is wrong with this country when all the government does is protect the criminals and not the victims. "

Do you mean at 10yrs they have reached the age of criminal responsibility rather that adult???

Reply privately

over a year ago

No think she's saying he's 27 now and no longer a child, or that how i'm reading it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"He is no longer a child at 10 he is an adult and as a result of breaking his licence should loose all rights to his freedom and not the public but jamies parents have the right to know who he is. What is wrong with this country when all the government does is protect the criminals and not the victims.

Not sure if you are a mother yourself, but being the mother of two sons I can say hand on heart that at the age of Ten my sons were very much children....."

I think there's been a misunderstanding here, I took it to mean, he is no longer a child at the age of 10, he is now an adult.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

She is taking the letter of the law literally, once a child reaches the age of Ten they can be classed as an adult for the charge of Rape or Murder.

My argument is that I doubt any mother would look back at when their son was Ten and say he was anywhere near an adult in his development.

Of course these two evil lads deserved imprisonment, so might say (including myself) that they were almost certainly released far too early for their crime.

But it is the lack of alternatives to sending a young man of 20 to a high security prison when their youth custody is finished that is where the problem lies.

Some of the vitriolic chest banging on here is very troubling, there is enough waste of life and hatred in this country without executing Ten year old children.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"if it has been child porn plus all these other things at are comin out such as the drugs and assaults etc has the authorities and government decided it is time for this piece of scum to be back in jail for public safety? personally and i dont care who i offend when i say this, if it was child porn then he should be shot he is an ADULT now and knows the consequences. he will have had every form of help going and its now showing that he cant live in normal society.

What would the upcry have been if he had done something to another child would we be able to shoot the scumbag yet? would we blame the government, prison system and everyone else instead of the person who did it and had all the chances. let the bastard rot somewhere away from the rest of society but not at the cost to us he is not a child anymore."

Well spoken!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"She is taking the letter of the law literally, once a child reaches the age of Ten they can be classed as an adult for the charge of Rape or Murder.

My argument is that I doubt any mother would look back at when their son was Ten and say he was anywhere near an adult in his development.

Of course these two evil lads deserved imprisonment, so might say (including myself) that they were almost certainly released far too early for their crime.

But it is the lack of alternatives to sending a young man of 20 to a high security prison when their youth custody is finished that is where the problem lies.

Some of the vitriolic chest banging on here is very troubling, there is enough waste of life and hatred in this country without executing Ten year old children.

"

No No No.

The point is He is NO longer 10 years old, but now much older, and now an adult, therefore his mistakes he has made recently as an adult, can't be excused the same.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Of course they can't....whatever the charges he now faces (and lets wait to see what is tabloid crap and what is fact) then he will rightly face them as an adult.

I don't think anyone on here is saying otherwise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Of course they can't....whatever the charges he now faces (and lets wait to see what is tabloid crap and what is fact) then he will rightly face them as an adult.

I don't think anyone on here is saying otherwise."

Allow me to recap.

I took it that you, and others misunderstood what swingershaz was actually saying, I was simply expressing that I believe swingershaz was trying to say that he is no longer 10 and is indeed now an adult. Not that as a 10year old, we are adults and should be treated like one. That's all I was saying, not entering into the discussion on this lad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He has had 17 years with the best help and it looks like he is still a wrong one so lock him up if he is proved guilty and throw the key away as they cant help him reform.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I just hope that the Sun newspaper have got it 100% right about the child pornography report, the thought of this little shit succesfully sueing them for what would be tens of thousands of pounds is almost unbearable.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I agree, if he is indeed guilty of anything major then I fully expect to see him in prison for a long long time.

Reply privately

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

These boys didn't get put away for stealing sweeties from a shop, they were guilty of a vicious unspeakable crime against an innocent 2 year old, they new exactly what they were doing to that poor little boy. People like that are just evil through and through and nothing will change that, no amout of rehabilitation will make them any different.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I just hope that the Sun newspaper have got it 100% right about the child pornography report, the thought of this little shit succesfully sueing them for what would be tens of thousands of pounds is almost unbearable.

"

Totally agree

Reply privately

over a year ago

we are told what the government wants us to be told, we were told on release he was to be sent to austrailia and that was a load of bullshit so what else wont we be told?

can any of you honestly say if that if it comes out that he lived near to you you would be happy in the knowledge he could have been near your kids, grnadkids, neices or nephews etc seeing how he been apparently rehabilitated?

where do we say that rehabilitation isnt working for some people?? xx

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

The other boy seems to have kept his head down so much so that I never remember his name

So what did'nt work in the way of rehabilitation for one of them worked for the other?

Reply privately

By *arracks7Couple
over a year ago

Now in Warrington

jon thomson was the other boy xx

Reply privately

By *riendlyfunfemWoman
over a year ago

A world of my own

Robert Thompson

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Thanks

Reply privately

over a year ago

Whatever he may or may not have been sent back to prison for i feel that because of his name and his past that his new name should not be known untill after any court case in order for him to be given a fair hearing, which wouldnt happen if his identity was known before hand. this is what British justice is all about.innocent untill proven guilty. saying that if he is found guilty then the book should be thrown at him.

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Who is to say that Thompson has kept his head down........He may have flirted with his conditions but not enough to have him recalled.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Funny how the reason why Venables was recalled from prison has changed three times in as many days, first of all we had the 'Exclusive' that he had attacked a colleague in the workplace, the next day the 'Exclusive' changed to an assault on an unknown person outside a nightclub, then the latest 'Exclusive' by the Sun cites Child Pornography as the reason.

One has to wonder what tommorrow will bring in the way of 'Exclusives' in the tabloids.....

The reason that the government cannot legally state the reason is because it will possibly prejudice any future prosecution, absolutely no use taking this murderer to court for a new offence if it is thrown out because they cannot swear in a jury of Twelve people who haven't been influenced by a frenzied tabloid press.

It's time the newspapers showed some sense and stopped all the speculation so this convicted murderer can be tried and punished in open court without the fear of the case being deemed unjust."

Absolutely spot on!

We need to wait for a trial not try this in the court of public opinion then there be no trial as an unbiased jury can't be found!

That said I don't know WHAT they were thinking in releasing him to put the Bulger family through this again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Funny how the reason why Venables was recalled from prison has changed three times in as many days, first of all we had the 'Exclusive' that he had attacked a colleague in the workplace, the next day the 'Exclusive' changed to an assault on an unknown person outside a nightclub, then the latest 'Exclusive' by the Sun cites Child Pornography as the reason.

It's time the newspapers showed some sense and stopped all the speculation so this convicted murderer can be tried and punished in open court without the fear of the case being deemed unjust.

Absolutely spot on!

We need to wait for a trial not try this in the court of public opinion then there be no trial as an unbiased jury can't be found!

That said I don't know WHAT they were thinking in releasing him to put the Bulger family through this again. "

His defence team are going to grin ear to ear with all these whispers. “ohh he cannot receive a fair trial” will be what is said you watch. When did selling papers become more important than justice.

Reply privately

By *aughtyNurse999Woman
over a year ago

Fabville !!!

Jamie's parents are the ones with the life sentence, they will never get their child back and they have to live with what happened, all be it years back.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"we are told what the government wants us to be told, we were told on release he was to be sent to austrailia and that was a load of bullshit so what else wont we be told?

can any of you honestly say if that if it comes out that he lived near to you you would be happy in the knowledge he could have been near your kids, grnadkids, neices or nephews etc seeing how he been apparently rehabilitated?

where do we say that rehabilitation isnt working for some people?? xx"

When were we ever told they would be sent to Australia on release?, it may have escaped you but Australia long ago stopped being a British colony where jailbirds could be sent!

What on earth makes you think that Australia would even want a convicted child murderer....let alone be told they had to have one like it or not!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"we are told what the government wants us to be told, we were told on release he was to be sent to austrailia and that was a load of bullshit so what else wont we be told?

When were we ever told they would be sent to Australia on release?, it may have escaped you but Australia long ago stopped being a British colony where jailbirds could be sent!

What on earth makes you think that Australia would even want a convicted child murderer....let alone be told they had to have one like it or not!

"

it was well publicised at one point when they were being released that was were they were being sent?? i dont understand why austrailia was to be the place just remember reading it somewhere?? sorry i cant remember source of information but dont really have the time or inclination to use the harvard referencing system here xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

it was well publicised at one point when they were being released that was were they were being sent?? i dont understand why austrailia was to be the place just remember reading it somewhere?? sorry i cant remember source of information but dont really have the time or inclination to use the harvard referencing system here xx"

I think Australia was a red herring to fool us all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

it was well publicised at one point when they were being released that was were they were being sent?? i dont understand why austrailia was to be the place just remember reading it somewhere?? sorry i cant remember source of information but dont really have the time or inclination to use the harvard referencing system here xx

I think Australia was a red herring to fool us all."

the government mushroom system. keep us in the dark and feed us a lot of bullshit! x

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

As I said, the British government has no legal right to send ANYONE to Australia and I don't think they have had this right since 1901......

Australia is not a dumping ground for Britains filth

Reply privately

over a year ago

Like I say all about protecting the criminals and NOT the victims.

Reply privately

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

Looking at the posts on here and I have read them all, I can't help but be disgusted by the apparent support for this animal!

I don't care if he was only ten years old, but I'll bet if it was the child of any Venables apparent supporters that was murdered in so brutal a way, there would be a very different attitude!

What a politically correct hell hole we live in!

Reply privately

over a year ago

well after 1901 they were still sendin children there.

as i said i read it somewhere and as another poster said it was maybe released this way to put people off from finding where he was to be released to x

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Looking at the posts on here and I have read them all, I can't help but be disgusted by the apparent support for this animal!

I don't care if he was only ten years old, but I'll bet if it was the child of any Venables apparent supporters that was murdered in so brutal a way, there would be a very different attitude!

What a politically correct hell hole we live in!"

Just because some members don't agree with hanging or shooting Ten year old boys, you shouldn't assume that they condone the crime that they committed. Calling people supporters of Venables because they don't agree with executing children is ridiculous.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"well after 1901 they were still sendin children there.

as i said i read it somewhere and as another poster said it was maybe released this way to put people off from finding where he was to be released to x"

The Australian government were actively encouraging the British to boost emigration to Australia up until the 60's, this included sending orphans over there both pre war and post war in their thousands.....not quite the same as forcing the Australians to accept a pair of convicted murderers though

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its not about executing them they commited a crime and brutally murdered a young boy and there has to be concequences for there actions 8 years being "reabilitated" is a cop out. And a poor excuse for what they did. Leopards do not change their spots what they did was pure evil.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"well after 1901 they were still sendin children there.

as i said i read it somewhere and as another poster said it was maybe released this way to put people off from finding where he was to be released to x

The Australian government were actively encouraging the British to boost emigration to Australia up until the 60's, this included sending orphans over there both pre war and post war in their thousands.....not quite the same as forcing the Australians to accept a pair of convicted murderers though"

well as i dont work in whatever government department deals with this kinda stuff i just go by what is published in the media same as the rest of people i imagine and yes i am fully aware that the media isnt always reliable and i dont read the daily mail!! but definately remember seeing it published somewhere x

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

As I have said earlier in the thread I don't think that the sentence they served was anywhere near enough, to me life should have been life in their case.

But released they were, for better or for worse, it's been done. What is dangerous is for the press to risk messing up any criminal case against Venables....they may actually be giving him the key to the door to walk again if their actions prejudice a case against him.

The press needs to be reeled in a little, we are now in danger of Venables getting away with another crime if the Sun and the Mirror papers don't put their foot in their mouth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i was thinkin about that bear with me as it seems a bit complicated!!

what the government releases to the media regarding this recall is covered under law as there is a gaggin order??

but people want to know but the government isnt telling??

so there is loads of speculation and no one knows the truth?

now obviously when this goes to court as it will need to if he has broke the law will the jury know his true identity that has cost thousands and what he did before?

bloody complicated stuff!! just easier to throw key away!! x

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think I am right in saying that as they were released on lifelong licenses in 2001, they can be recalled to serve out their original sentence if they have broken the terms of their probation.

That could mean either of them having to serve out the remainder of their original life sentence, subject to future parole hearings of course.

Reply privately

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

"Looking at the posts on here and I have read them all, I can't help but be disgusted by the apparent support for this animal!

Just because some members don't agree with hanging or shooting Ten year old boys, you shouldn't assume that they condone the crime that they committed. Calling people supporters of Venables because they don't agree with executing children is ridiculous.

"

Read it again Jane... The point is not about punishment. It IS about the apparent support for these two animals, such as

"but how many of us are the same people as adults that we were as children"

"What gives you the right to inflict violence on someone who has served their full time for there offences?"

"they were 10 years old at the time, just children, "

"in a caring humane society ,,should we condem children to a life behind bars ?"

I could quote loads more, but for me.... I am still disgusted by what has been typed and want no further part in it!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Read it again Jane... The point is not about punishment. It IS about the apparent support for these two animals, such as

"but how many of us are the same people as adults that we were as children"

"What gives you the right to inflict violence on someone who has served their full time for there offences?"

"they were 10 years old at the time, just children, "

"in a caring humane society ,,should we condem children to a life behind bars ?"

I could quote loads more, but for me.... I am still disgusted by what has been typed and want no further part in it!"

You have missed the point entirely about this thread. It is NOT about support for a convicted criminal who has served his time nor it is about support for a crime committed by a child who is now an adult. It is about not executing children. It is about due process of the laws under which we all must live. It is about raising ourselves so that we are above the people who committed this most horrible of crimes.

You cannot apply the law retrospectively, it has to be applied at the time of the trial and any punishment meted out has to stand as it is. As it turns out, Venables has back in jail where he belongs and I should hope that it will be a very long time before he sees the light of day again.

As one of the people you have quoted above ("but how many of us are the same people as adults that we were as children"), I hope you now realise that I do not support Venables or Thompson but I do believe in the law being applied as and when it is needed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Looking at the posts on here and I have read them all, I can't help but be disgusted by the apparent support for this animal!"

Others are equally disgusted by the mediaeval attitude of people who dont appreciate why there's a difference between the punishment of adults compared to that of children. Nobody is supporting Venables, and certainly not the crime he committed.

"

I don't care if he was only ten years old, but I'll bet if it was the child of any Venables apparent supporters that was murdered in so brutal a way, there would be a very different attitude!"

It's for that reason, the trial and punishment of offenders is put into the hands of people who are impartial, if it was any other way you'd have people hanging children for letting down the tyres on their car.

"

What a politically correct hell hole we live in!"

I dont know if a 'politically correct hell hole' is an accurate description, but if there didn't exist people who wanted an equitable, fair society, then chldren would still be being shoved up chimneys or forced to work down the pit and denied an opportunity to receive a free education.

Thankfully crimes like the Bulger case are very much a minority, its an aberration on society, but not a reflection on it. In my opinion many negative influences came to bear on these two individuals during their lives and on that fateful day.

They certainly deserved to be punished, and probably were released far too early (if they should have been at all), but it seems to me that many believe their punishment should have been more severe because they were children, rather than taking account of their immature & dysfunctional minds.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The problem now is the fact that because the media are printing so many different allegations at this point we don't know which to believe... but heck.. mud sticks and all that....

I don't see how now if you name him that there is anyway he can get a fair trial....

the Dept of Justice have gotten this all wrong in the way this has been handled.......

They could have gone to the bulger family and told them privately that he was back inside and instructed them not to tell anyone publically...

Then they could have tried this 27 year old on his crimes without people knowing who it was... if he was then found guilty, Then I think the nation had a right to know who he use to be.... if he was found innocent then he could go back to the new life that he led.....

if he can't get a fair trial.... what do we do now????

Reply privately

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

"10 years old or not should of executed them. have we all forgot what they did to james?

If you could do any of those things to a ten year old child then you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children!"

In an answer to your question if jamie was my son and i knew all the disguting crimes those devils sons did to my beautifull boy . I would of done all the above to them . But he was not my son so i would put a bullet through their head while they cried with fear . Then sleep soundly

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"

In an answer to your question if jamie was my son and i knew all the disguting crimes those devils sons did to my beautifull boy . I would of done all the above to them . But he was not my son so i would put a bullet through their head while they cried with fear . Then sleep soundly "

Just love an armchair warrior....

Reply privately

By *eakcoupleCouple
over a year ago

peak district

Bring back hanging (despite what our EU masters say) for all murders. Hang all the murderers doing life in UK prisons. Hang all terrorists. Problem solved.

Reply privately

over a year ago

hes not in australia and never has been

Reply privately

over a year ago

" In an answer to your question if jamie was my son and i knew all the disguting crimes those devils sons did to my beautifull boy . I would of done all the above to them . But he was not my son so i would put a bullet through their head while they cried with fear . Then sleep soundly "

Personally I think the Bulger killing arouses such emotion because of the extreme nature of it-but if we denounce children who behave that way, surely adults who are prepared to do the same are worse??

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Bring back hanging (despite what our EU masters say) for all murders. Hang all the murderers doing life in UK prisons. Hang all terrorists. Problem solved."

So what about cases such as the 'M25 Three'? Totally innocent yet imprisoned for Ten years before they were released and declared not guilty of the crimes, under your way of thinking they would have been hung and dead for Ten years before it was proved that the police had falsified the evidence in court.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Bring back hanging (despite what our EU masters say) for all murders. Hang all the murderers doing life in UK prisons. Hang all terrorists. Problem solved."

Hanging was abolished in 1969 following a free vote of British MPs, it had nothing to do with 'our EU masters', I wouldn't be so confident that British MPs would endorse its re introduction.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you could do any of those things to a ten year old child then you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children!

In an answer to your question if jamie was my son and i knew all the disguting crimes those devils sons did to my beautifull boy . I would of done all the above to them . But he was not my son so i would put a bullet through their head while they cried with fear . Then sleep soundly "

Then you also should never be let anywhere near children.

Reply privately

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

In an answer to your question if jamie was my son and i knew all the disguting crimes those devils sons did to my beautifull boy . I would of done all the above to them . But he was not my son so i would put a bullet through their head while they cried with fear . Then sleep soundly

Then you also should never be let anywhere near children. "

what do you suggest ? give them a cuddle say it will be ok and beg god to forgive them.

How dare you say i should not be let anywere near children are u implying i am a preditor? i would hope not

do you know exactly what they did to that beautifull innocent 2 YEAR old boy? I DO

SAY I SHOULD NOT BE AROUND CHILDREN AGAIN.

I have children of my own who are loved and looked after. I do not welcome a personal attack this a forum to post views on the subject

Reply privately

By *mcouple1Couple
over a year ago

nr warrington

to all posters on this subject i apologise if i have offended anyone but i know every detail of the events on the day that boy was taken from his family if you also knew everything not just what was in the media?

anyhow it is time i stopped posting sorry but this crime still feels like yesterday to me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

what do you suggest ? give them a cuddle say it will be ok and beg god to forgive them. "

I dont think anyone's suggesting that, but how do you end up in a position where you want to put a bullet in the head of a 10 year old child 'whilst they cried in fear'?

Yes they should be severely punished but deriving pleasure from their suffering is not far removed from what they did to James Bulger.

Personally I dont feel anger, what does that achieve? This is an extreme crime the likes of which we see once a decade thankfully. All I feel is overwhelming sadness at the outcome for poor James, and his Mum & Dad. I dont need to hijack their grief to justify doing evil things to the children who murdered him, what's the point?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Then you also should never be let anywhere near children. "

I personally think that is a bit strong.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As is putting a bullet through the head of a 10y/o child. I feel as strongly about this as those who have expressed their inclinations to executing children.

There are two issues being discussed on this thread, although linked, they probably each warrant a separate thread. One is the Bulger case and the other is how to deal with child-murderers and enforcing the law. It would appear that those advocating Venables & Thompson's execution are allowing their emotions to get in the way of the other important aspect of applying due process and allowing it to run it's course.

Reply privately

over a year ago

For years the media industry denied the effect sick violent films had on kids and people with impaired judgement.On numerous occasions we have evidence to the contrary with real life victims and emulated horror.

From kids who jump off multi story car parks emulating on screen heroes then wondering why a bone is sticking out of there leg, to the tragic stories Jamie and the other 2 recent victims of child on child violence going way beyond the kiddy scrap.

To me if you allow kids to watch this chucky et-al vicious imagery and take a hands off approach as our society has through deregulation of censorship.Then we reap what we sow ,out of control kids with no grip on reality ,a thorough disdain for authority as they emulate the "hidden hero" in modern scripts and the glorification of evil.

Make it illegal to allow any minor to see this rubbish and those that are allowed to see it an imediate place of safety order.

just my tuppence worth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good post. You echo my own sentiments there with regards to violent video/arcade style games. By permitting these ever increasing levels of violence/gang warfare etc the shock level of the children playing those games decreases and eventually leads to a dehumanisation of those acts.

I'm sure most kids use them for what they are, a game, but there is evidence linking violent games to actual physical violence in the real world.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i agree to a point but its parents who let them watch it and buy the video games etc and the majority of children do know right from wrong and reality from fantasy but there is definately a link between violence and the stuff xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i agree to a point but its parents who let them watch it and buy the video games etc and the majority of children do know right from wrong and reality from fantasy but there is definately a link between violence and the stuff xx"

I agree with what you say ,however all modern dvds + games machines have child locks on now its just it does not come enabled and requires a concious effort from parents to activate it. I think it should be activated as you buy it and parental consent be required before each showing or running of a game .If the parent accepts an item they know is on a banned list it is an illegal act.

Its time parents started to get a grip of this pollution of our kids and started to undo some of the "moral decline" messages our kids face growing up .

I think constant blood and horror on the lounge carpet from TV definitely desensitizes people.

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

Thinks censorship should be a completely different thread.

But point taken as in the context used.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Jack Straw is to make a statement to the House at 15.30 about the matter....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i agree to a point but its parents who let them watch it and buy the video games etc and the majority of children do know right from wrong and reality from fantasy but there is definately a link between violence and the stuff xx

I agree with what you say ,however all modern dvds + games machines have child locks on now its just it does not come enabled and requires a concious effort from parents to activate it. I think it should be activated as you buy it and parental consent be required before each showing or running of a game .If the parent accepts an item they know is on a banned list it is an illegal act.

Its time parents started to get a grip of this pollution of our kids and started to undo some of the "moral decline" messages our kids face growing up .

I think constant blood and horror on the lounge carpet from TV definitely desensitizes people.

"

its the parents that buy it and lack of parental control of what they can and cant watch or play. many video games come with an age limit and anyone buyin it for a minor should face prosecution but they dont they wait till little cherub does somethin wrong then shout from the hills its thats fault not theirs. chucky was incited in that case and banned in this country for a while. we can say every way possible but the parents of those two let them watch it i still say the parents should have been prosecuted too xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

"i agree to a point but its parents who let them watch it and buy the video games etc and the majority of children do know right from wrong and reality from fantasy but there is definately a link between violence and the stuff xx

its the parents that buy it and lack of parental control of what they can and cant watch or play. many video games come with an age limit and anyone buyin it for a minor should face prosecution but they dont they wait till little cherub does somethin wrong then shout from the hills its thats fault not theirs. chucky was incited in that case and banned in this country for a while. we can say every way possible but the parents of those two let them watch it i still say the parents should have been prosecuted too xx"

totally agree it should be like supplying drink or drugs to a minor.

Reply privately

over a year ago

its the parents that buy it and lack of parental control of what they can and cant watch or play. many video games come with an age limit and anyone buyin it for a minor should face prosecution but they dont they wait till little cherub does somethin wrong then shout from the hills its thats fault not theirs. chucky was incited in that case and banned in this country for a while. we can say every way possible but the parents of those two let them watch it i still say the parents should have been prosecuted too xx"

People download stuff and with ebay it would be hard if not impossible to prosecute though. Surely common seance should prevail? I know some parents just don't care though.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"As is putting a bullet through the head of a 10y/o child. I feel as strongly about this as those who have expressed their inclinations to executing children.

There are two issues being discussed on this thread, although linked, they probably each warrant a separate thread. One is the Bulger case and the other is how to deal with child-murderers and enforcing the law. It would appear that those advocating Venables & Thompson's execution are allowing their emotions to get in the way of the other important aspect of applying due process and allowing it to run it's course."

Yes I agree, it is an emotive subject and one where all parents would probably die for their kids so in turn would want to hurt anyone who hurt them or at least say they would...but I doubt if anyone would actually go through with it, but I suppose us lucky parents who have not been in this situation can't really say what we would do.

I just thought you comment sounded just as extreme.

I also agree there are two debates going on here, and as this is getting too big to load, maybe start another thread , will keep this open too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Denise Fergus told "NO" by justice secretary

Reply privately

By *aughty_kittyWoman
over a year ago

finger licking good

they were ten, not 15 nor 18 just ten.... i know when my children reach that age i will still be responsible for them...

if two ten year old hurt my 2 year old, would i want to kill them? would i want to shoot them while they whimper in fear? no, i would want to know what has gone wrong in their lifes to make a ten year old act like that.

one thing i would not be doing is wishing murder on another child.

Reply privately

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Hi all, I think that there are 2 separate issues here. One deals with secrecy and the need to control access to some information mainly arms, military and economically sensitive material, and secondly an issue of censorship for sociological reasons.

In the first case I am in total favour of secrecy and censorship. However there is a question about who watches the watchers?

In the second case there has to be some limited censorship, after all we all have the right of not being named by the police (unless there is an arrest warrant issued for a specific charge) until the person has been charged and taken in front of a magistrate at which point their names and charges come into the public domain unless the charged or victim is a minor or the offence is covered by other confidentiality requirements (official secrets, terrorism or rape).

Now in the case of jon venables I believe he has the same right to privacy until he is charged, if that happens he should loose all rights to secrecy, that means his name now and his birth name should become non privileged and he and the crimes he is accused of should be placed in the public domain, after all he was granted a new secret ID because he was 10 when he committed murder. He is now 27 and must be treated like any other criminal, and that means he must also take his chances in the prison system. Finally it must also be remembered that he may never be charged because of a lack of evidence but still not be re-released as he has been convicted of murder and is therefore only out on licence and may be recalled to prison at any time on the recommendation of his supervisor and without provable reason.

Reply privately

By *im53Man
over a year ago

Boldon

thats this thread for the deleat button soon

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok, putting peoples names on here who you THINK might be the new name of one of the bulger killers is a no go.

Imagine if it was the wrong person you were naming?

Sorry to anyones post that I deleted if you had quoted it.

Reply privately

By *aughty_kittyWoman
over a year ago

finger licking good

"Ok, putting peoples names on here who you THINK might be the new name of one of the bulger killers is a no go.

Imagine if it was the wrong person you were naming?

Sorry to anyones post that I deleted if you had quoted it."

i am glad u delete names, its stupid people who post names with no proof who can get inocent people hurt.

Reply privately

By *UNCHBOXMan
over a year ago

folkestone

As my orignal post was deleted because i quoted a poster who named the person they thought Jon Venables was on facebook, i will post again. I hope the person who was wrongly named on facebook sues facebook and who started the group naming him, for defamation. Did anyone think to ask why he is still in his house if Jon Venables has been recalled to prison?. Not exactly rocket science.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As my orignal post was deleted because i quoted a poster who named the person they thought Jon Venables was on facebook, i will post again. I hope the person who was wrongly named on facebook sues facebook and who started the group naming him, for defamation. Did anyone think to ask why he is still in his house if Jon Venables has been recalled to prison?. Not exactly rocket science. "

So you hope the person named sues huh?

Yet you thought it was ok to say his name AGAIN in a totally unrelated place to where it was first mentioned... that's how _umours start.

"

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

"

Reply privately

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

[Removed by poster at 09/03/10 22:32:05]

Reply privately

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

I have a few concerns, if Venables is tried under his real name, we'll have a human rights outcry that he didn't receive a fair trial. All this press speculation is and will potentially be damaging any trial that may take place and I believe there will also be some lawyer out to make a name for themselves to act on his behalf. My major concerns are that money seems to count above all else from the CPS to Prison. We've had numerous incidents where people have been released early and go on to re-offend before the ink is dry on their parole paperwork. Sentences these days are so much different from the sentences meted out on the likes of the Krays, Train Robbers, Hindley, Brady etc etc etc. My fear about re-introducing the death sentence is the corruption at all levels of the justice system and the well documented cases of wrongful imprisonment over the years.

Reply privately

By *aughtyNurse999Woman
over a year ago

Fabville !!!

All i can say is after working for quite some time at crown court, I have seen justice done and unjustice.

I have sat with grieving relatives and the alledged offenders have walked away scott free.

what worries me with the system today and for many many years is, the jury, members of the public who have had no training in how the system works, they are expected to come to a decision after hearing the evidence and the arguments from both sides. Are they/we really equipped to decide who is guilty or who is innocent ??

I could go on forever. lol and i apologise for really going offtrack on the main subject of this thread..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"what worries me with the system today and for many many years is, the jury, members of the public who have had no training in how the system works, they are expected to come to a decision after hearing the evidence and the arguments from both sides. Are they/we really equipped to decide who is guilty or who is innocent ??.."

I've never agreed with Jury Service in principle as I have no legal training to anable me to decode all the legal jargon that both prosecuting and defence laywers use to confuse you. I think it's deplorable that they will insist on a 'Yes' or 'No' answer where it is evident that it requires much more.

I much prefer the magistrates system of appearing before 3 judges who then decide your outcome but that has it's flaws also. I appeared in court many years ago over poll tax evasion and the three judges were: a lesbian man-hating commie bitch, a retired old sailor with a foot long beard, and a liberal let's-all-be-equal snotty nosed little twerp of a man.

The dyke and the twerp both wanted to send me to prison but the old boy saved my bacon. He overuled the other two and said, "Pay up over three months or it's off to jail with you, deal?"

"Done", says I.

I guess he remembered times when young men like me went of to war with him and people weren't assaulted by a myriad of unfair taxes, and, well, I think he thought I deserved a break. Lovely old fella.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Who is to say that Thompson has kept his head down........He may have flirted with his conditions but not enough to have him recalled. "

By the same token who's to say you, me or anyone else hasn't flirted with criminality? You can't censure people for things they haven't done or think they might do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"All i can say is after working for quite some time at crown court, I have seen justice done and unjustice.

I have sat with grieving relatives and the alledged offenders have walked away scott free.

what worries me with the system today and for many many years is, the jury, members of the public who have had no training in how the system works, they are expected to come to a decision after hearing the evidence and the arguments from both sides. Are they/we really equipped to decide who is guilty or who is innocent ??

I could go on forever. lol and i apologise for really going offtrack on the main subject of this thread.."

Have faith in your fellow 'man' naughty! Legal arguments in court are intended to protect the interests of all concerned, they might be confusing, but it's for the judge/court clerk to advise the jury/magistrates how the legal-ese is relevant to the case.

I think most juries take their responsibilities seriously and get it right, although some might be caught nodding off and drooling down their neighbours shoulder

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sentences these days are so much different from the sentences meted out on the likes of the Krays, Train Robbers, Hindley, Brady etc etc etc. "
Did you hear about the recent life sentence handed to the 'Facebook murderer', Peter Chapman-the mimimum tariff is 37 years, and on current form is unlikely to ever be released.

"

My fear about re-introducing the death sentence is the corruption at all levels of the justice system and the well documented cases of wrongful imprisonment over the years."

Would agree with that

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"what worries me with the system today and for many many years is, the jury, members of the public who have had no training in how the system works, they are expected to come to a decision after hearing the evidence and the arguments from both sides. Are they/we really equipped to decide who is guilty or who is innocent ??..

I've never agreed with Jury Service in principle as I have no legal training to anable me to decode all the legal jargon that both prosecuting and defence laywers use to confuse you. I think it's deplorable that they will insist on a 'Yes' or 'No' answer where it is evident that it requires much more.

I much prefer the magistrates system of appearing before 3 judges who then decide your outcome but that has it's flaws also. I appeared in court many years ago over poll tax evasion and the three judges were: a lesbian man-hating commie bitch, a retired old sailor with a foot long beard, and a liberal let's-all-be-equal snotty nosed little twerp of a man.

The dyke and the twerp both wanted to send me to prison but the old boy saved my bacon. He overuled the other two and said, "Pay up over three months or it's off to jail with you, deal?"

"Done", says I.

I guess he remembered times when young men like me went of to war with him and people weren't assaulted by a myriad of unfair taxes, and, well, I think he thought I deserved a break. Lovely old fella. "

Really?????

The 3 judges as you put it are all members of the public who have been chosen to become JP's (Justice of the peace) They have no legal training. The are guided in the legal side of things by the clerk of the court, who is a trained barrister.

At least in a Crown court the evdence is presented in front of a team legally trained people.

The jury are guided through the law and it is explained to them what is and is not acceptable as evidence.

The only problem I have with the jury system is when it's a case of multi million pound fraud cases. These can be a absolute minefield. Even the Police will use specially trained people to collate the evidence and specialised advocates are used to prosecute and defence the case. To the Layman it is fraught.

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"Who is to say that Thompson has kept his head down........He may have flirted with his conditions but not enough to have him recalled.

By the same token who's to say you, me or anyone else hasn't flirted with criminality? You can't censure people for things they haven't done or think they might do."

I agree with you but you have taken my quote out of context.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"what worries me with the system today and for many many years is, the jury, members of the public who have had no training in how the system works, they are expected to come to a decision after hearing the evidence and the arguments from both sides. Are they/we really equipped to decide who is guilty or who is innocent ??..

"Done", says I.

I guess he remembered times when young men like me went of to war with him and people weren't assaulted by a myriad of unfair taxes, and, well, I think he thought I deserved a break. Lovely old fella.

Really?????

The 3 judges as you put it are all members of the public who have been chosen to become JP's (Justice of the peace) They have no legal training. The are guided in the legal side of things by the clerk of the court, who is a trained barrister.

At least in a Crown court the evdence is presented in front of a team legally trained people.

The jury are guided through the law and it is explained to them what is and is not acceptable as evidence.

The only problem I have with the jury system is when it's a case of multi million pound fraud cases. These can be a absolute minefield. Even the Police will use specially trained people to collate the evidence and specialised advocates are used to prosecute and defence the case. To the Layman it is fraught."

I stand corrected, thank you for the guidance. He was still a lovely old bloke anyway lol

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"I stand corrected, thank you for the guidance. He was still a lovely old bloke anyway lol "

LOL

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Who is to say that Thompson has kept his head down........He may have flirted with his conditions but not enough to have him recalled.

By the same token who's to say you, me or anyone else hasn't flirted with criminality? You can't censure people for things they haven't done or think they might do.

I agree with you but you have taken my quote out of context."

Apologises, could you tell what the context was please?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Really?????

The 3 judges as you put it are all members of the public who have been chosen to become JP's (Justice of the peace) They have no legal training. "

Sorry Im going to get pedantic again! Magistrates are members of the public, but they are very well trained, what they lack are legal qualifications

"

The are guided in the legal side of things by the clerk of the court, who is a trained barrister."

Most are qualified solicitors or barristers, but not all of them.

"

The jury are guided through the law and it is explained to them what is and is not acceptable as evidence."

That would be the function of a court clerk in a magistrates court.

"

The only problem I have with the jury system is when it's a case of multi million pound fraud cases. These can be a absolute minefield. Even the Police will use specially trained people to collate the evidence and specialised advocates are used to prosecute and defence the case. To the Layman it is fraught."

Agree with that.

Reply privately

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"

Really?????

The 3 judges as you put it are all members of the public who have been chosen to become JP's (Justice of the peace) They have no legal training. Sorry Im going to get pedantic again! Magistrates are members of the public, but they are very well trained, what they lack are legal qualifications

The are guided in the legal side of things by the clerk of the court, who is a trained barrister. Most are qualified solicitors or barristers, but not all of them.

The jury are guided through the law and it is explained to them what is and is not acceptable as evidence. That would be the function of a court clerk in a magistrates court.

The only problem I have with the jury system is when it's a case of multi million pound fraud cases. These can be a absolute minefield. Even the Police will use specially trained people to collate the evidence and specialised advocates are used to prosecute and defence the case. To the Layman it is fraught. Agree with that."

I thought thats what I said ????

But as you're a very nice lady I'll let you be as pedantic as you want

Reply privately

By *exeteraWoman
over a year ago

Bridgend

"Sentences these days are so much different from the sentences meted out on the likes of the Krays, Train Robbers, Hindley, Brady etc etc etc. Did you hear about the recent life sentence handed to the 'Facebook murderer', Peter Chapman-the mimimum tariff is 37 years, and on current form is unlikely to ever be released.

My fear about re-introducing the death sentence is the corruption at all levels of the justice system and the well documented cases of wrongful imprisonment over the years.

Would agree with that "

Unfortunately, this is the exception rather than the rule. I believe imho that we need clarity and parity, I know that each case is different but there seems to be such huge differences in sentencing and this then leads to public outcry and misunderstanding. There are so many victims of this crime, James, his parents and extended family and also dare I say it, the families of Robert Thomson and Jon Venables. I could never begin to imagine how the families of those who commit such heinous crimes must feel about someone they carried in their womb for nine months. I get shivers just thinking about it. I really hope the press will behave and not prejudice any future actions that may be needed in respect of Jon Venables.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I thought thats what I said ????

But as you're a very nice lady I'll let you be as pedantic as you want "

Nearly, but not close enough Pzmale

Reply privately