Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Apologies.......

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So...Gordon Brown, as Prime Minister, has made an apology to child migrants who were sent out to Australia, often against their will.

Some of these children suffered abuse, and some were put to work, unpaid.

This child migrants policy was ended 40 years ago and this is the latest in a long line of apologies being made by governments around the world for acts carried out decades, and sometimes centuries before.

Is there any relevance to these apologies, can they have any meaning or sincerity?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i seen a bit on the news about it this morning and the lady was sayin how she was told her mother was dead then shipped off years of abuse then found out her mother alive and 6 half sisters. she said an apology would maybe help heal some of the wounds.

very heartbreaking stuff xx

By *woBiTwoCouple
over a year ago

north manchester

Whilst I am cynical about any public actions like this is the run up to an election , I do agree that it probably means something to the victims and their relatives.

M

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Absolutely no point to them at all!! I agree the whole situation at the time was utterly heartbreaking and to have these families torn apart only to suffer horrid abuse must have been unbearable at the time BUT.........this is now 40 years down the road, no one involved had anything to do with government at the time and therefor apologising is a response to heading off a potential political problem rather than apologising from the bottom of their hearts. Pointless!!

Post new Message to Thread