Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cameron vs Salmond

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Shouldn't Cameron debate Salmond to make the case for keeping Scotland as part of the UK? He is the head of the government and will still be at the time of the vote (unless they don't make it to the full 5 years).

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i agree with cameron on this.

the debate should be between the YES and NO campaigns.

when we came to the vote for the government, Salmond wasnt involved with that cuz, quite frankly, it had nothing to do with him, as this hasnt really got anything to do with Call me Dave.

Scotland either want it or not, so let Scots debate on it.

Salmond only wants Call me Dave to argue the point because he knows most Scots dont like the tories.

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"i agree with cameron on this.

when we came to the vote for the government, Salmond wasnt involved with that cuz, quite frankly, it had nothing to do with him, as this hasnt really got anything to do with Call me Dave.

Salmond only wants Call me Dave to argue the point because he knows most Scots dont like the tories."

Do you feel it doesn't affect the rest of the UK then?

By *nfieldishCouple
over a year ago

Enfield

Though this was a footy match.....

over a year ago

its not a UK decision.

the rest of the UK didnt have a say on devolution, so why would this be different? we cant vote on whether Scotland stays in the Union, only voice an opinion, and this is all Cam can do.

as said, Salmond only wants the tories involved because Scots hate the tories (possibly rightly so, who knows) so it will give his yes campaign a boost.

no matter what he says, as long as he scores points against the 'enemy' he will win.

face facts, would you want people in Birmingham having a say how your local council runs its affairs?

over a year ago

Salmond only wants Call me Dave to argue the point because he knows most Scots dont like the tories."

Nailed it ! Salmond looking to mobilise the anti english waverers. Without it, he's fucked, poisonous little shite, as his political career has been built solely on devolution, lets hope he does the honourable thing and leap into loch ness when his motion to split is soundly refused, as it will be.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Of course he should stay well out!

A Tory leader telling the Scots that its wrong to leave the UK

Not the best of plans if we want to stay united.

over a year ago

Salmond only wants Call me Dave to argue the point because he knows most Scots dont like the tories.

Nailed it ! Salmond looking to mobilise the anti english waverers. Without it, he's fucked, poisonous little shite, as his political career has been built solely on devolution, lets hope he does the honourable thing and leap into loch ness when his motion to split is soundly refused, as it will be. "

it may well be, but history doesnt show that people take the publics answer as final.

just across the water the Irish voted the Euro down, only to be asked again because the vote was too close (think it was 55% no) the final vote was about 52% yes on the second count, and that was accepted

although i am here to be corrected on the exact details

over a year ago

Personally I'd love to see b_nny wee Scotland breakaway from the union.

If they manage to create a state that is totally politically transparent, then that can only be good for Scotland, England, Wales & NI.

I strongly believe that!!!

over a year ago

I'm NOT Scottish nor have I - at this -point paid much attention to the for n against devolution rationale, but I can comprehend why there is a section of Scottish society that would wish to break away. As did India, Rhodesia etc etc.

Proximity is not a valid reason to stay conjoined n I'm sure Scotland will b welcome as a member of the commonwealth

over a year ago

Common Wealth; is such a ghastly repressive term in itself - don't you agree?

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple
over a year ago

markinch

Nailed it ! Salmond looking to mobilise the anti english waverers. Without it, he's fucked, poisonous little shite, as his political career has been built solely on devolution, lets hope he does the honourable thing and leap into loch ness when his motion to split is soundly refused, as it will be. "

Dear o dear thats a bit bitter,

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Shouldn't Cameron debate Salmond to make the case for keeping Scotland as part of the UK? He is the head of the government and will still be at the time of the vote (unless they don't make it to the full 5 years).

"

no.... he is not the leader on the no campaign in scotland... alistair darling is....

salmond wants to make it a scots vs tories thing.

over a year ago

No.

Let the Jocks make their own mind up, then the can't blame Parliament when independence goes tits up and they become a third world country

By *tirling DarkCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

And Cameron is such a lovely chap? One Scottish tory mp in London, that speaks volumes!

By *tirling DarkCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

"No.

Let the Jocks make their own mind up, then the can't blame Parliament when independence goes tits up and they become a third world country "

"Jocks"? are the Irish all paddys and Welsh taffs? How about all the non 'jocks' voting?

And what happens if it doesn't go tits up? Now what will we call the English?

over a year ago

"No.

Let the Jocks make their own mind up, then the can't blame Parliament when independence goes tits up and they become a third world country "

Can i just say as a scottish person i hate getting called a "jock". Grrrr

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Shouldn't Cameron debate Salmond to make the case for keeping Scotland as part of the UK? He is the head of the government and will still be at the time of the vote (unless they don't make it to the full 5 years).

"

No. This a wholly Scottish issue and should be debated and decided upon wholly in Scotland.

Salmond is only looking for an opportunity to appear on camera with with is, for all I dislike Cameron, a world leader and as someone on STV news last night pointed out - the last person to unite the whole of Scotland on anything was Thatcher.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"No.

Let the Jocks make their own mind up, then the can't blame Parliament when independence goes tits up and they become a third world country

Can i just say as a scottish person i hate getting called a "jock". Grrrr "

The only acceptable uses of 'Jock' are 1)an infantryman in a Scottish regiment and

2)a Scottish educated lawyer at the English Bar.

over a year ago

"No.

The only acceptable uses of 'Jock' are 1)an infantryman in a Scottish regiment and

2)a Scottish educated lawyer at the English Bar."

Being neither it gets right on my tits!!

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan
over a year ago

Glasgow West

Cameron is shitting himself, because he knows Salmond is smarter, and would talk rings round him.

over a year ago

"No.

2)a Scottish educated lawyer at the English Bar."

Another acceptable time to use the word 'jock ' is when it immediately precedes the word 'strap' !

By *tirling DarkCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

"Cameron is shitting himself, because he knows Salmond is smarter, and would talk rings round him. "

Not keen on Salmond but he is very politically astute. Cameron is running scared, he knows his party is hated in Scotland and that he would simply alienate thousands more with his smarmy presentation.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Cameron is shitting himself, because he knows Salmond is smarter, and would talk rings round him. "

Salmond wouldn't be content with just a debate.

He'd want to control the location (obviously he'd want it in Scotland), the time and date (he was angling for St Andrew's Night) and he'd want an invited audience as well as a suitable location for this throne.

over a year ago

"Cameron is shitting himself, because he knows Salmond is smarter, and would talk rings round him.

Salmond wouldn't be content with just a debate.

He'd want to control the location (obviously he'd want it in Scotland), the time and date (he was angling for St Andrew's Night) and he'd want an invited audience as well as a suitable location for this throne."

Absolutely spot on and the childish assumption that Cameron is running scared is exactly that, childish.

Cameron is nobody's fool and by refusing to rise to Salmonds bait he proves that conclusively.

The saddest aspect of all this is that the vote could well be swung by the 16-17 years olds who will be no doubt whipped into a Nationalist fervour as the time to vote approaches.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ...........

The saddest aspect of all this is that the vote could well be swung by the 16-17 years olds who will be no doubt whipped into a Nationalist fervour as the time to vote approaches.

"

Surveys (I'm always a bit suspicious of surveys and polls, but anyway) surveys suggest this may backfire on Eck.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I'd rather watch a Salmond/Cameron debate than watch Strictly Come Dancing.

Post new Message to Thread