Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Self Value

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

On another thread one of the comments that struck a nerve was the concept of self worth or value.

I'm always amazed at how some of the most talented/ beautiful / entertaining just don't see what we see. Telling them is like water off a ducks back and often reinforces their lack of worth. Some have been to counselling and some haven't. What shocks me above all is somehow there's a lack of empathy from members of their own family/community and society.

Question is, perhaps those who've successfully dealt with this could share how they've done it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lackshadow7Man
over a year ago

Toronto

Some of the most talented/ beautiful / entertaining often go through periods in their life where they get put down by jealous individuals or groups. In some cases, they endure this to the point where they believe the things said about them.

Takes a strong individual to remain appreciative of their self worth, and yet stay humble.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

We Scots have a phrase 'he has a guid conceit of hisself' which, contrary to some opinions, doesn't mean he's right up his own arsehole.

It's much more about having a genuinely positive opinion about yourself, your talents and abilities and your general worth to society and your friends.

Each of us has something going for us. That's no bad thing.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Self worth's easy.

Simply fuck the people who don't matter off and get on with your life.

My attitude is if you don't like me it's not going to make any difference to my life.

If you do like me then stay loyal. You get 1 bridge. Betray my trust you'll never get it back. I never give second chances. (Every day stuff's fine, everyone fucks up, but it's the trust).

You kind of whittle down your friends to the ones that matter then.

Job done

over a year ago

its often said the british sensibility is to be self deprocating.

also, with the famous, we are very quick to build people up, and then equally quick to knock them back down again.

is it any wonder those in the public eye have a percieved lack of self esteem when faced with the reality of fame, outside of the money.

and, i suppose, its the same on here.

those that put themselves out there to be adored, are, to some extent, but it only takes one negative comment to ruin it for some people, and thats all they focus on

i wouldnt be famous for anything, not a chance.

over a year ago

"We Scots have a phrase 'he has a guid conceit of hisself' which, contrary to some opinions, doesn't mean he's right up his own arsehole.

It's much more about having a genuinely positive opinion about yourself, your talents and abilities and your general worth to society and your friends.

Each of us has something going for us. That's no bad thing."

Seconded

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

A lot of your self worth, resilience and ability to weather the knocks is developed very early in childhood. The confident persona you build and present may be a little deeper than skin but probably isn't embedded in your core if you have had bad childhood experiences.

The external validation from others can't ever replace that early experience and you can't self-validate until you work through that and continue to spend time on your wellbeing.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Self worth's easy.

My attitude is if you don't like me it's not going to make any difference to my life.

If you do like me then stay loyal. You get 1 bridge. Betray my trust you'll never get it back. I never give second chances. (Every day stuff's fine, everyone fucks up, but it's the trust).

Job done "

Scorpio I bet.....

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"A lot of your self worth, resilience and ability to weather the knocks is developed very early in childhood. The confident persona you build and present may be a little deeper than skin but probably isn't embedded in your core if you have had bad childhood experiences.

The external validation from others can't ever replace that early experience and you can't self-validate until you work through that and continue to spend time on your wellbeing.

"

over a year ago

"Self worth's easy.

Job done "

Post new Message to Thread