FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What has caused society today to become more irritably ignorant with mental illness?

Jump to newest

By *emmefatale OP   Woman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Read about a lot of worrying incidents that seems to prove the above....maybe we haven't moved on at all, I thought society had gotten better at accepting, but now I am not so sure.....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

only reason i can think of is unlike most other things, you cant fix a broken mind like u could a broken leg, to some who hide away from it and deny the issues its potentially because they are ashamed of it.

Some people are being open and honest with it but others see it as a life failure and not being strong enough to survive events or situations.

over a year ago

"Read about a lot of worrying incidents that seems to prove the above....maybe we haven't moved on at all, I thought society had gotten better at accepting, but now I am not so sure..... "

I think we are getting better... But it's still early days... It is still something that's misunderstood and has a lot of stigma.. I got told with my mental health was I sure of my decisions last week... By mental health they meant the fact that last year I had anti depressants...

Lovely coming from someone in authority.. I had to put her straight lol

However I still think it's more acceptable than it was 20years ago.. but some bits seem to have got trendy..Ie loads of young people I've seen actually publishing self harm blogs and photos.. that's a little disturbing to be honest.

over a year ago

"Read about a lot of worrying incidents that seems to prove the above....maybe we haven't moved on at all, I thought society had gotten better at accepting, but now I am not so sure..... "

my brother had a mental illness and was never accepted by his so called friends once he was diagnosed. it was hard for all the family as we were constantly defending him. we accepted him for the person he was, and for that we suffered years of abuse. he sadly killed himself in august, and I still feel like I have to defend him. it shouldn't be like that, and I think people should be made aware of the hurt they can cause by their actions and words. think how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.......

sorry if I appear to be ranting, but it is very close to my heart and something I am passionate about.

Julie

over a year ago

It's a strange one this as Mental Illness or Mental Health issues aren't class related, income related region related and can get anyone at any time. Yet, we treat it as a failing or sign of weakness. Even yesterday the posts on Gazza who clearly has poor mental health were of the "pull yourself together" type along with he's got loads of money there's nothing wrong with him etc.

The other point is that the press focus on people with mental health problems who've committed crimes or murders. The reality is that you all probably work with or know someone with a serious mental health problem which is controlled by medication and have absolutely no idea what they're going through.

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"It's a strange one this as Mental Illness or Mental Health issues aren't class related, income related region related and can get anyone at any time. Yet, we treat it as a failing or sign of weakness. Even yesterday the posts on Gazza who clearly has poor mental health were of the "pull yourself together" type along with he's got loads of money there's nothing wrong with him etc.

The other point is that the press focus on people with mental health problems who've committed crimes or murders. The reality is that you all probably work with or know someone with a serious mental health problem which is controlled by medication and have absolutely no idea what they're going through."

The Paul Gasgoine thread partly prompted this thread, amongst other things...

over a year ago

I'm guessing this thread has been prompted because of the Asda news story?

Incidentally I don't feel they have actually done anything wrong. Their response is sensible and that should be the end of it.

We have become a nation of sensitive soles with far too much regulation.

Of course we must do our best to care for people with difficulties and help improve their lives. But let's stop being so sensitive about it all.

over a year ago

"It's a strange one this as Mental Illness or Mental Health issues aren't class related, income related region related and can get anyone at any time. Yet, we treat it as a failing or sign of weakness. Even yesterday the posts on Gazza who clearly has poor mental health were of the "pull yourself together" type along with he's got loads of money there's nothing wrong with him etc.

The other point is that the press focus on people with mental health problems who've committed crimes or murders. The reality is that you all probably work with or know someone with a serious mental health problem which is controlled by medication and have absolutely no idea what they're going through."

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I'm guessing this thread has been prompted because of the Asda news story?

Incidentally I don't feel they have actually done anything wrong. Their response is sensible and that should be the end of it.

We have become a nation of sensitive soles with far too much regulation.

Of course we must do our best to care for people with difficulties and help improve their lives. But let's stop being so sensitive about it all."

Actually no it wasn't....I don't think its being over sensitive at all, its about addressing very real issues that effects a lot of people.

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan
over a year ago

Glasgow West

I don't think that there is more intolerance, I think that due to social media, it's easier for people to spout their ignorance to the world.

over a year ago

"I don't think that there is more intolerance, I think that due to social media, it's easier for people to spout their ignorance to the world."

so true

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I don't think that there is more intolerance, I think that due to social media, it's easier for people to spout their ignorance to the world."
I think you may have something there......

By *_MariusMan
over a year ago

Currently Faraway

I think the issue is, we don't get educated at school about physical/biological conditions that are beyond our control and choice.

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

Think it is slightly better. People are at least more open about it and you are much more likely to know, or be related to someone with mental health problems.

With the openness comes a bit more understanding. Many people wish to deny that it could happen to them and see it as a failing and prefer to believe sufferers are at fault, for their own peace of mind.

They are wrong and ignorant, but may be happier?

over a year ago

It's a massively broad term to lump people under and it's one of those under which there are people with genuine issues and needs, but also people scurrying beneath it to excuse attitudes and behaviour. It's the latter that cause a lack of sympathy.

re. the Asda thing I guess it shows we're still too scared to debate it all like grown ups.

over a year ago

The problem is mental illness covers such a wide spectrum from bouts of depression thro to psychosis.

People hear the phrase 'mental illness' and it seems to trigger some innate fear n self safety mechanism in them. Perhaps it is because we all live alongside the cusp of having the potential to fall in2 the vacuum n therefore back away when the subject is raised

One should also remember it is not too long ago that for an admission fee one could have a guided tour n a good old laugh at the inmates chained to the walls in institutions such as bedlam etc

All these entrenched perceptions take a very long time to be eradicated in society n progress moves at a petty pace where fear enriches prejudice

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Well I've never hidden the fact I have severe bi polar with borderline personality disorder. When I was diagnosed at 15 (called manic depression in those days) there was a huge stigma, I was classed as a disruptive teenager, there was absolutly no help for me in those days. Since I had my son at 25 things couldn't be more different, fantastic support from family, friends, health professions, not being melodramatic. But only people close to me understand how hard it is for me to function in the "real world". What I have found, years ago when I told someone always the first question was "are you violent" no one has said that to me for years, I find now people are more interested in asking me questions. However, in some cases I think mental illness is seen as being "trendy". its not an easy life but I do think the stigma is getting less and less, most certainly since I was first diagnosed anyway.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patient

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patient"
Thats a fair point Diamonds.

over a year ago

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patient"

What is the asda story?

over a year ago

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patientThats a fair point Diamonds. "

Or a crippled one (as they used to label people) with a plastic leg caliper n crutch

over a year ago

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patientThats a fair point Diamonds.

Or a crippled one (as they used to label people) with a plastic leg caliper n crutch "

But you can get a pirate costume with a hook for a hand.

Maybe they should ban also ?

over a year ago

no your right because it would encourage kids to poke fun at people more as a lot of people who are mentaly handicaped are bullied and frightnened to leave there house in some places.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

Maybe they should ban also ?"

Pirates aren't exactly a large group that needs protecting.

People needing treatment for mental health issues (i.e. 'mental patients') are.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"We have become a nation of sensitive soles with far too much regulation. "

No, we haven't. What's happening is that we are slowly waking up to the fact that a lot of casual, everyday, largely accepted attitudes in society are harmful and upsetting to minorities and vulnerable people.

It takes very little effort or sacrifice to fix these things.

Unfortunately there's a large number of people who think that just because something doesn't bother them, that everyone else is just being too sensitive.

over a year ago

"Read about a lot of worrying incidents that seems to prove the above....maybe we haven't moved on at all, I thought society had gotten better at accepting, but now I am not so sure.....

my brother had a mental illness and was never accepted by his so called friends once he was diagnosed. it was hard for all the family as we were constantly defending him. we accepted him for the person he was, and for that we suffered years of abuse. he sadly killed himself in august, and I still feel like I have to defend him. it shouldn't be like that, and I think people should be made aware of the hurt they can cause by their actions and words. think how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.......

sorry if I appear to be ranting, but it is very close to my heart and something I am passionate about.

Julie"

That is sad to hear. Sorry for your loss x

over a year ago

"Unfortunately there's a large number of people who think that just because something doesn't bother them, that everyone else is just being too sensitive.

"

There's also a large number directly affected by all sorts of things that can deal and discuss them in a mature way.

Watch any of the Paralympic coverage?

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"Unfortunately there's a large number of people who think that just because something doesn't bother them, that everyone else is just being too sensitive.

There's also a large number directly affected by all sorts of things that can deal and discuss them in a mature way.

Watch any of the Paralympic coverage?"

I have no idea what your point is.

Some people with disabilities take part in sports, therefore its not worth complaining about negative portrayals of mental health issues?

over a year ago

I've googled... apparently Tesco and Amazon have withdrawn certain costumes from sale. To me "Psycho" makes me think of Norman Bates, and the orange boiler suit (American convict?) is supposed to be Hannibal Lecter (I assume they cannot put that name on the costume due to patency laws). On this basis, are we not being overly sensitive? Dracula is also a fictional character depicted at Halloween, as is Jason Voorhees.

over a year ago

generally on the whole we are becoming more aware of mental health issues and people like Stephen fry and now frank bruno (daughters) are spot lighting them.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"I've googled... apparently Tesco and Amazon have withdrawn certain costumes from sale. To me "Psycho" makes me think of Norman Bates, and the orange boiler suit (American convict?) is supposed to be Hannibal Lecter (I assume they cannot put that name on the costume due to patency laws). On this basis, are we not being overly sensitive? Dracula is also a fictional character depicted at Halloween, as is Jason Voorhees."

The point on the Asda costume was that is was a blood spattered killer type of thing, labelled 'mental patient'

Call it 'serial killer' or whatever, but not that.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/09/13 12:28:48]

over a year ago

Watch any of the Paralympic coverage?

I have no idea what your point is.

Some people with disabilities take part in sports, therefore its not worth complaining about negative portrayals of mental health issues?"

I was primarily referring to The Last Leg.

If you have no idea it's better to ask than to jump to conclusions.

over a year ago

"I've googled... apparently Tesco and Amazon have withdrawn certain costumes from sale. To me "Psycho" makes me think of Norman Bates, and the orange boiler suit (American convict?) is supposed to be Hannibal Lecter (I assume they cannot put that name on the costume due to patency laws). On this basis, are we not being overly sensitive? Dracula is also a fictional character depicted at Halloween, as is Jason Voorhees.

The point on the Asda costume was that is was a blood spattered killer type of thing, labelled 'mental patient'

"

Absolutely

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I've googled... apparently Tesco and Amazon have withdrawn certain costumes from sale. To me "Psycho" makes me think of Norman Bates, and the orange boiler suit (American convict?) is supposed to be Hannibal Lecter (I assume they cannot put that name on the costume due to patency laws). On this basis, are we not being overly sensitive? Dracula is also a fictional character depicted at Halloween, as is Jason Voorhees."

According to Asda's description it was a " designed to look like a blood-splattered straitjacket with ragged edges"

I can understand characters in films even the Tesco one that I just looked up, but I am not sure what the above would be trying to copy ( although to be fair I don't watch many scary films so if there is one with a blood splattered straight jacket about I am sure someone will let me know )

By *tirling DarkCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

The asda out was called "mental patient fancy dress..." and depicted a man with a cleaver. Are people being over sensitive? No, the buyers for asda who put this forward really need to go on an awareness courses. Ignorance or stupidity?

over a year ago

Mental health treatment and understanding of, is still in its infancy as opposed to the knowledge and treatment of physical conditions. It is slowly improving. Depression is possibly the most highly diagnosed illness in modern society, 1 in 4 people will experience mental health problems a year, of course not all will seek medical help. Those who get prescribed anti-depressants to me are akin to those who have anaemia: iron supplements correct a deficiency, anti-depressants correct a chemical disturbance/imbalance. Neither illness can be seen with the naked eye, but each has physical symptoms. So, apart from one having a stigma attached and the other not, what is the difference?

over a year ago

"I've googled... apparently Tesco and Amazon have withdrawn certain costumes from sale. To me "Psycho" makes me think of Norman Bates, and the orange boiler suit (American convict?) is supposed to be Hannibal Lecter (I assume they cannot put that name on the costume due to patency laws). On this basis, are we not being overly sensitive? Dracula is also a fictional character depicted at Halloween, as is Jason Voorhees.

"

Oh I agree with that. It looks like they'll lose revenue simply due to poor labelling then. As you can see my argument was purely for fictional characters.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

there have been people on here who have exposed their current mental wellbeing & they have received a balanced response.

kindness & ravaged, usually dependant upon gender.

we are making progress in society, lots still to do.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I managed a supported housing scheme for men with schizophrenia and in my years there I only had to be part to 2 sections under the mental health act...I saw them as regular human beings...people used to take the miss with them and prey on their vulnerability. Its high profile suffers such as Steven fry and Kerry Katona who have come out with their diagnosis. I have only ever been attacked once because his mental health had broken down...people with mental health issues can function just as well probably better then the average Joe due to the insight they have with themselves. The stigma Will always be there but i think its about educating society...what i don't like is when someone commits a crime or something and its blamed on their mental health....Its that person that committed the crime not the mental health as sometimes they have it under control. I know that things are done when their mental health is completely broken down...as regard for the asda thing i don't think they thought about it toil much but what a silly thing calling it that.

over a year ago

"I managed a supported housing scheme for men with schizophrenia and in my years there I only had to be part to 2 sections under the mental health act...I saw them as regular human beings...people used to take the miss with them and prey on their vulnerability. Its high profile suffers such as Steven fry and Kerry Katona who have come out with their diagnosis. I have only ever been attacked once because his mental health had broken down...people with mental health issues can function just as well probably better then the average Joe due to the insight they have with themselves. The stigma Will always be there but i think its about educating society...what i don't like is when someone commits a crime or something and its blamed on their mental health....Its that person that committed the crime not the mental health as sometimes they have it under control. I know that things are done when their mental health is completely broken down...as regard for the asda thing i don't think they thought about it toil much but what a silly thing calling it that. "

i agree

over a year ago

I have a friend who has mental health issues. I don't know if it's bipolar disorder or something else. He tends not to talk to much about it.

I just know that he has bouts of rage if something pisses him off, followed by bouts of feeling low.

I've sat there and seen him in bits. I've wanted to do something but giving him a hug is something he'd not do.

I simply let him rant and calm down.

over a year ago

Exposure to their illness.

People with mental illness used to be cared for in a secure institute with specialist staff, so most people didn't come across them.

Now with care in the community, many people come across people with mental health issues and, rightly or wrongly they are causing a problem, so tolerance is reduced....

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/09/13 13:40:25]

over a year ago

"It's a strange one this as Mental Illness or Mental Health issues aren't class related, income related region related and can get anyone at any time. "

Partially correct.

over a year ago

Maybe we should get rid or sexy nurse outfits, sexualising such caring profession...

Witches too have feelings, especially with the fake crooked nose and other bits...

And.....bah blah...

Those who want to be offend, will be offended.

over a year ago

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patient

Maybe we should get rid or sexy nurse outfits, sexualising such caring profession...

Witches too have feelings, especially with the fake crooked nose and other bits...

And.....bah blah...

Those who want to be offend, will be offended."

over a year ago

It hasn't improved. The only thing that's changed is that we know more. Most people still don't give a s**t.

over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Read about a lot of worrying incidents that seems to prove the above....maybe we haven't moved on at all, I thought society had gotten better at accepting, but now I am not so sure.....

It hasn't improved. The only thing that's changed is that we know more. Most people still don't give a s**t. "

Do you really think they don't give a shit or that they don't know how to give a shit?

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Nothing's changed for me. With the advent of social networking we all have a voice, some of those voices are whack yo. But you don't have to listen to them if you don't want.

However the Asda thing is a farking joke! Where do you draw the line?

Mummy costume = An offence to dead Egyptians

Frankenstein costume = Offence againt religion and the sanctity of life

Ghost costume = Racist.

As a society people are rapidly disappearing up their own arseholes.

Take a chill pill innit.

By *he WolfsterMan
over a year ago

Swansea

ASDA and TESCO are only acting to try and stave off bad publicity which might affect sales.

If they left them on the shelves and the offended refused to buy them then they would still sell out.

over a year ago

"It's a strange one this as Mental Illness or Mental Health issues aren't class related, income related region related and can get anyone at any time.

Partially correct. "

Partially?

Which bit is incorrect? It isn't related to your class

It isn't related to your income

It isn't related to your region

and anyone can get a mental health problem at any time, mental illness perhaps not, but clinical depression can be brought on by life changing events such as death, divorce, child birth etc.

over a year ago

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patient

And.....bah blah...

Those who want to be offend, will be offended."

It's not about being offended, it's about how we treat people who struggle to fit in. Mental illness or being a "mental patient" is actually not much of a joke.

Nurses sexy or otherwise are not marginalised and real witches are a fictional group.

over a year ago

"ASDA and TESCO are only acting to try and stave off bad publicity which might affect sales.

If they left them on the shelves and the offended refused to buy them then they would still sell out.

"

They could keep them next to the wheelchairs, ku klux clan outfits etc.

Perhaps you could have a quick search on the history of who people with a mental health problem are treated and then speak again. You may not be offended, but then I'm assuming you don't have a mental health issue. If you did, perhaps your _iew would be different.

over a year ago

There's a lot of responses to this topic I didn't read, but I want to chip in. I have social anxiety but I have not been diagnosed with anything else yet. People I work with believe I might be bi-polar - Unfortunately, I used to self harm, and have suicidal thoughts. I personally feel as if a lot of people are ignorant. One mention of my negativity, people are either clueless or don't want to know.

over a year ago

"people are either clueless or don't want to know. "

I would say that covers quite a few people. You then get the ones who feel you should just get over yourself.

Sadly some of them seem to be cropping up here.

By *he WolfsterMan
over a year ago

Swansea

If they had not been labelled on the costumes as scarey mental person then noone would have moaned.

over a year ago

"people are either clueless or don't want to know.

I would say that covers quite a few people. You then get the ones who feel you should just get over yourself.

Sadly some of them seem to be cropping up here."

Its so frustrating when people are like that as well. I am not sure if I am more frustrated or upset that so many people are intolerant.

over a year ago

I cannot in this day and age believe no one thought during the purchasing and naming process that this is not acceptable.

Mental illness affects most families at some time so why did not one stop the naming process.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"We have become a nation of sensitive soles with far too much regulation. No, we haven't. What's happening is that we are slowly waking up to the fact that a lot of casual, everyday, largely accepted attitudes in society are harmful and upsetting to minorities and vulnerable people.

Unfortunately there's a large number of people who think that just because something doesn't bother them, that everyone else is just being too sensitive.

"

I think this is fairly spot-on, and there are some excellent posts here. People who are or have been less fortunate and able than others to protect themselves, have been widely put upon and abused very widely.

There scope of mental health issues is very wide, as posters point out - this doesn't mean that even what some may _iew as 'trivial' or 'minor' should be in any way fair play for others to poke fun at. This is serious stuff, as our minds are very delicate, and we know so little about them.

Even depression is basically not yet understood - the main causes aren't clear, and treatments aren't that effective, nor effective for everybody - and this affects millions around the world, every year.

The more we lose respect for each other, the greater the harm that we'll potentially cause to others. If we start teaching and building respect, then people are likely better able to empathise and be open to developing an understanding. And certainly not cause harm or suffering to others. I work in care, and look after people who are less fortunate and able to look care for themselves. Everybody deserves dignity and respect, and the more we demonstrate that anything else is intolerated, the better.

over a year ago

"If they had not been labelled on the costumes as scarey mental person then noone would have moaned. "

No they wouldn't and that's the point. They put a costume of a blood spattered outfit for sale and labelled it as a "mental patient". I work with Mentally Ill people who struggle in general with the fact that employers, the public, the media, their colleagues think they should be scared of them because they're "mental" when in fact, its them that are scared.

This may be a laugh to you, but to someone with who's already on the edge of society it's not the least bit amusing. Perhaps we should sell homeless outfits as well?

Laughing or finding others suffering amusing is sort of what the OP was worried about.

By *he WolfsterMan
over a year ago

Swansea

I think every post has respected the issue but opinions differ. One of the princes wore a nazi uniform at a fancy dress and it started a storm..

There is lots of talk of tolerance but we now have a sort of reverse intolerance. If someone wants to dress in nazi fancy dress then I say let them. They are not attending a nazi rally

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Thank you torjames, I have similar work, and fully agree.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"ASDA and TESCO are only acting to try and stave off bad publicity which might affect sales.

"

And regardless of public opinion about mental illness or the appropriateness of the 'outfits', people will still shop where it's cheapest - if they can get there.

over a year ago

I (f) had this arguement on the bbc post this morning, i am on anti-depressants because my life in the last year has taken a nose dive i am known in my family as the strong one, but after losing 6 family members including my mum in quick succession it became too much along with the health issues i already have, so yes i have a mental health issue (i am far better than i was this time last year)

You cant just look at someone and brand them as mental as thats really not the way it works, we dont look like mass murderers, some illnesses are worse than others of that there is no doubt but in all seriousness who in the joe public would look at a halloween costume and automatically go mad about it?

Society is waking up to mental health issues but it does need wider coverage so more people can understand it

I am honestly not going to be running around the streets with a meat cleaver chopping people up I'll leave that to the likes of freddie kruger, jason and their ilk

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Well I've never hidden the fact I have severe bi polar with borderline personality disorder. When I was diagnosed at 15 (called manic depression in those days) there was a huge stigma, I was classed as a disruptive teenager, there was absolutly no help for me in those days. Since I had my son at 25 things couldn't be more different, fantastic support from family, friends, health professions, not being melodramatic. But only people close to me understand how hard it is for me to function in the "real world". What I have found, years ago when I told someone always the first question was "are you violent" no one has said that to me for years, I find now people are more interested in asking me questions. However, in some cases I think mental illness is seen as being "trendy". its not an easy life but I do think the stigma is getting less and less, most certainly since I was first diagnosed anyway.

"

Hi! Hope your feeling happy

Now my turn...

I'm also a manic depressive, I have the added fun of rapid cycling. However I have to say of all the mental illnesses out there I think ours is best!

I have mild asperger's add-on (this I could do without but I was not consulted). I know I upset people because I am very literal in my use of language thanks to the above, but at least I know why I wind them up now.

My experience of mental health treatment in the UK has not been good up till 5/6 years ago. In fact I have had some very bad and extremely frightening experiences at the hands of mental health professionals. And although the NHS has improved its treatment of mental illness there is little doubt in my mind that Mental Health is still a "Cinderella" service. My experience being that having diagnosed my illness and prescribing a whole life medication treatment I have been left to my own devices with no specialist safety-net to fall back on. I just happen to be lucky in finding a GP with an interest in mental health.

To say this has made my life chaotic is a bit of an understatement. I have spent most of my life hiding and disguising my illness from those around me because of the fear and stigma attached to any mental illness. And to be perfectly honest I still fear loosing friends who think I'm just the ex commando "nut job" with the unquenchable thirst for an adrenalin filled life that they want a bit of. But I feel sure if they knew my real condition they would run a mile.

over a year ago

"I think every post has respected the issue but opinions differ. One of the princes wore a nazi uniform at a fancy dress and it started a storm..

There is lots of talk of tolerance but we now have a sort of reverse intolerance. If someone wants to dress in nazi fancy dress then I say let them. They are not attending a nazi rally"

And when the nazis become a group who are vulnerable in society I'd agree with you. Personally fancy dress does nothing for me, however, there is a world of difference between nazi, nurses, fireman outfits and the one we're talking about.

Are you asking those with mental illness/health issues to be tolerant of being mocked by one of the largest retailers in the world Asda/WalMart?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Just an aside. I learned yesterday that a chum of 30 years + has recently been diagnosed as having Asbergers.

What's a bit worrying is that he was only diagnosed when he took his son along for an assessment.

By *he WolfsterMan
over a year ago

Swansea

[Removed by poster at 26/09/13 16:51:49]

By *he WolfsterMan
over a year ago

Swansea

I dont think anybody should be mocked.

The fact that this retailer is so big probably means these things are more likely to happen and be highlighted. They feel they made a mistake and withdrew the product.

I think they probably acted responsibly by withdrawing

over a year ago

"I dont think anybody should be mocked.

The fact that this retailer is so big probably means these things are more likely to happen and be highlighted. They feel they made a mistake and withdrew the product.

I think they probably acted responsibly by withdrawing "

Absolutely

I agree that the only thing they could do in the circumstances, is what they did do. I suspect the buyer will be having their wrists slapped, but that to me isn't the point.

over a year ago

"As for the asda story, I don't think its being over sensitive. There wouldn't be a costume of a cancer patientThats a fair point Diamonds.

Or a crippled one (as they used to label people) with a plastic leg caliper n crutch

Maybe they should ban also ?"

Pirates more popular than ever today c/o Johnny Depp maybe. Most 'baddies' in children's fiction have a physical and/or mental disorder. All reinforcing negative ideas of disabled in society. Time for more good guys and gals in literature and fiction

over a year ago

"Nothing's changed for me. With the advent of social networking we all have a voice, some of those voices are whack yo. But you don't have to listen to them if you don't want.

Ghost costume = Racist.

Take a chill pill innit."

I give them out most mornings to people with mental health issues. Can I have my money back coz none of them have bid knives or are covered in blood please?

over a year ago

Thanks, Femme, for this wonderful post.

I could write a book on it but I'd rather just simply quote something a total prick once said to my face:

"I don't know how you haven't killed yourself, I would if I were you!"

Over 15 years I was suicidal, but if I had succumbed to the urges;

a.) I'd never live to see the biggest abusive scumbags I ever knew suffer a fraction of what I did (and smile on the inside because they can't even handle that)

and

b.) I'd never know how to help others that do experience what I do

People that have a problem with mental illness sufferers had better fucking recognise. The numbers are growing fast and despite the answers being right in their face (usually looking back at them in the mirror), when it hits them, the people with the solutions will be the people they ridicule (refer to options a.) and b.) fucksticks)!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Well asda have made a "sizable" donation to mind and if it gets mental illness in a positive light then maybe some good will come from it

over a year ago

"Well asda have made a "sizable" donation to mind and if it gets mental illness in a positive light then maybe some good will come from it"

Awareness isn't a bad thing and if ASDA has made a donation good on them although all this PX stuff is taken out of context at times.

over a year ago

"Thanks, Femme, for this wonderful post.

I could write a book on it but I'd rather just simply quote something a total prick once said to my face:

a.) I'd never live to see the biggest abusive scumbags I ever knew suffer a fraction of what I did (and smile on the inside because they can't even handle that)

and

People that have a problem with mental illness sufferers had better fucking recognise. The numbers are growing fast and despite the answers being right in their face (usually looking back at them in the mirror), when it hits them, the people with the solutions will be the people they ridicule (refer to options a.) and b.) fucksticks)!"

Don't ever be surprised if your mental health care professional has been on the receiving end too .

Look at Carl Jung, now he suffered during his life...

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".............

Don't ever be surprised if your mental health care professional has been on the receiving end too .

Look at Carl Jung, now he suffered during his life..."

And RD Laing.

over a year ago

remember there is a fine line between genius and insanity

most of the greatest minds in the 20th century were accused of being insane during their moments of brilliance

over a year ago

"It's a strange one this as Mental Illness or Mental Health issues aren't class related, income related region related and can get anyone at any time.

Partially correct.

Partially?

and anyone can get a mental health problem at any time, mental illness perhaps not, but clinical depression can be brought on by life changing events such as death, divorce, child birth etc.

"

You're absolutely correct that anyone can get a mental health problem at any time. Let's take depression and look at the causes: biology, psychology and environmental. The problem is what is THE cause. Did the loss of one's job cause the depression, or the loss of one's identity which was based around the job, or were there factors present which affected job "employability". There are far too many scenarios to state on a simple post, but what I am trying to get at is the egg and bird question which came first?

It doesn't matter because they are all inextricably linked which is why treatments not only try to counteract common symptoms of the illness but also to prevent further spiralling, and correct what we know to be the disturbance of the chemicals in the brain.

Biology we have the disturbances of, for example, serotonin (treated with SSRIs) and norepinephrine (treated with SNRIs). We may also have the genetic predisposition for depression. Psychology is all about the way you think and this comes from genetics and socialisation (biology and environment). The present environment very much includes your status, your income and your region so these factors are very relevant to one's personal experiences of depression and, I've read recently, that treatment efficacy can be affected by such factors.

Bottom line is that we should be treating people through the biopsychosocial method as ALL factors are relevant, whether it is in the trigger of the depression, the spiralling or the treatment of.

over a year ago

"I think every post has respected the issue but opinions differ. One of the princes wore a nazi uniform at a fancy dress and it started a storm..

There is lots of talk of tolerance but we now have a sort of reverse intolerance. If someone wants to dress in nazi fancy dress then I say let them. They are not attending a nazi rally"

Yes maybe u do say that but that is a crass comment (imo) then again unlike myself u are not Jewish I assume n even the sight of a Nazi costume stirs up feelings of fear still in many of us. It is easy for people (n I'm not saying YOU) to say all that was years ago get a grip n move on. I've NOT been to Auschwitz (nor intend to) but I HAVE been to the underground hospital on jersey n that was frightening enough. History is not wiped away in the click of fingers especially when there are still people alive who can remember.

My apologies this deviates from the mental health issue folks altho I did add my 6 pen'north to that much earlier on

over a year ago

Greed.

over a year ago

Having lived for the summer in a third world country and encountered the prejudices and problems faced by someone with serious mental health problems- untreated bilpolar in a young, intelligent person, we as a country have come on by leaps and bounds from that situation but individually, are still in the dark ages or very slightly,light-on the distant-horizon dark ages. Or in plainer words, better than it was but soooo far to go

over a year ago

Society has never been accepting.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Society has never been accepting. "
Now thats the truth!

over a year ago

Partially correct.

Partially?

You're absolutely correct that anyone can get a mental health problem at any time. Let's take depression and look at the causes: biology, psychology and environmental. The problem is what is THE cause. Did the loss of one's job cause the depression, or the loss of one's identity which was based around the job, or were there factors present which affected job "employability". There are far too many scenarios to state on a simple post, but what I am trying to get at is the egg and bird question which came first?

It doesn't matter because they are all inextricably linked which is why treatments not only try to counteract common symptoms of the illness but also to prevent further spiralling, and correct what we know to be the disturbance of the chemicals in the brain.

Biology we have the disturbances of, for example, serotonin (treated with SSRIs) and norepinephrine (treated with SNRIs). We may also have the genetic predisposition for depression. Psychology is all about the way you think and this comes from genetics and socialisation (biology and environment). The present environment very much includes your status, your income and your region so these factors are very relevant to one's personal experiences of depression and, I've read recently, that treatment efficacy can be affected by such factors.

Bottom line is that we should be treating people through the biopsychosocial method as ALL factors are relevant, whether it is in the trigger of the depression, the spiralling or the treatment of."

Ok I get where you're coming from but in terms of the statistics of who has a mental health issue it's spread across all social, financial and class structures fairly equally, the outcomes might be different and the access to treatment may also be hugely different and indeed the way it's perceived may be different but if you're on £250 k or £2k the potential for it isn't much different.

over a year ago

"Nothing's changed for me. With the advent of social networking we all have a voice, some of those voices are whack yo. But you don't have to listen to them if you don't want.

Ghost costume = Racist.

Take a chill pill innit."

I'm especially looking forward to making a full sized model man with my kids and then watching it slowly burn to death.

By *icoupleforfunz27Couple
over a year ago

liverpool

"We have become a nation of sensitive soles with far too much regulation.

No, we haven't. What's happening is that we are slowly waking up to the fact that a lot of casual, everyday, largely accepted attitudes in society are harmful and upsetting to minorities and vulnerable people.

"

Do you no what this person has just made me think, normally I would say it's only a costume, but just stopped and thought despite the country getting to OTT with every little thing, i think most including me how these little things hurt so many people who suffer from this problem that has enough stigma attached.

Some times it takes a wake up call to realise this.

When the guy said about the pirate hook hand thing, i thought yes that's the Sam. But then thought no, would it be ok to walk upto someone with mental illness and shout at them nasty things? No it wouldn't, just the same as you would not to it to someone suffering from cancer.

Tears ago people would be scared of people with a mental illness, now thankfully there is a lot more understanding around.

over a year ago

Ghost costume = Racist.

Take a chill pill innit.

I'm especially looking forward to making a full sized model man with my kids and then watching it slowly burn to death."

If the Government dont put an emergency bill through to stop us remembering the Gunpowder Plot on the grounds that it was wholly indecent, treasonous and a litany of terrorism against the nation.

over a year ago

Ghost costume = Racist.

Take a chill pill innit.

I'm especially looking forward to making a full sized model man with my kids and then watching it slowly burn to death.

If the Government dont put an emergency bill through to stop us remembering the Gunpowder Plot on the grounds that it was wholly indecent, treasonous and a litany of terrorism against the nation.

"

And increasingly tempting to repeat.

over a year ago

There is lots of talk of tolerance but we now have a sort of reverse intolerance. If someone wants to dress in nazi fancy dress then I say let them. They are not attending a nazi rally

Yes maybe u do say that but that is a crass comment (imo) then again unlike myself u are not Jewish I assume n even the sight of a Nazi costume stirs up feelings of fear still in many of us. It is easy for people (n I'm not saying YOU) to say all that was years ago get a grip n move on. I've NOT been to Auschwitz (nor intend to) but I HAVE been to the underground hospital on jersey n that was frightening enough. History is not wiped away in the click of fingers especially when there are still people alive who can remember.

My apologies this deviates from the mental health issue folks altho I did add my 6 pen'north to that much earlier on"

No need for apology, you've demonstrated mental health admirably.

over a year ago

On the Asda story, one has to question the mental health of a nation if the best thing that people have to spend £20 on is a cheap tacky costume in which to go begging.

over a year ago

Partially correct.

Partially?

Bottom line is that we should be treating people through the biopsychosocial method as ALL factors are relevant, whether it is in the trigger of the depression, the spiralling or the treatment of.

Ok I get where you're coming from but in terms of the statistics of who has a mental health issue it's spread across all social, financial and class structures fairly equally, the outcomes might be different and the access to treatment may also be hugely different and indeed the way it's perceived may be different but if you're on £250 k or £2k the potential for it isn't much different. "

•There is a strong inverse association between depression and socioeconomic status. Research has shown that even though there are differences in definitions and measurements of socioeconomic status, the likelihood of developing depression in the lowest socioeconomic group is twice as likely as in the highest socioeconomic group.

I quote.

over a year ago

Some are genuine. Some are over exaggerated to make it sound like it is an illness. Some cases can be avoided as laziness/stupidity have played a part. This is why its harder to accept mental illnesses. The genuine ones I feel sorry for as no matter what experts say. No one is a clear expert on these things are the brain/mind is so compliment. They haven't even touched the surface compared to all the other organs.

over a year ago

"Thanks, Femme, for this wonderful post.

and

People that have a problem with mental illness sufferers had better fucking recognise. The numbers are growing fast and despite the answers being right in their face (usually looking back at them in the mirror), when it hits them, the people with the solutions will be the people they ridicule (refer to options a.) and b.) fucksticks)!

Look at Carl Jung, now he suffered during his life..."

How very true, society loves to frown upon, doesnt it?!

over a year ago

people either hide their heads down and ignore it or are very ignorant about mental health.

mine comes and goes, since my miscarriage 4 years ago I have good days bad days and days where I want to hide in bed.

since seeing a counsellor which is private I have got stronger i know triggers and symptoms now. gradually im getting there

if someone has mental health issues dont shy sway. treat them like normal dont pussy foot around them as trust me they know.

over a year ago

Partially correct.

Partially?

Ok I get where you're coming from but in terms of the statistics of who has a mental health issue it's spread across all social, financial and class structures fairly equally, the outcomes might be different and the access to treatment may also be hugely different and indeed the way it's perceived may be different but if you're on £250 k or £2k the potential for it isn't much different.

•There is a strong inverse association between depression and socioeconomic status. Research has shown that even though there are differences in definitions and measurements of socioeconomic status, the likelihood of developing depression in the lowest socioeconomic group is twice as likely as in the highest socioeconomic group.

I quote."

Can I just say here that clinical depression is recognised as the monster it is because it eats away at your identity between a few months and a lifetime.

Yes, you can be left with it when your life is fucked up for some huge lasting reason, but depression is the real identity thief.

It takes your joys, your highs, your impulses, your rational fears, your emotions and your desires and it leaves you with confusion, irrational rages, broken memory and the inability to feel emotion when it's the ability to feel emotions that generally heals you.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"

On the Asda story, one has to question the mental health of a nation if the best thing that people have to spend £20 on is a cheap tacky costume in which to go begging.

"

I bet you piss on people's bonfires too don't you

over a year ago

"people either hide their heads down and ignore it or are very ignorant about mental health.

mine comes and goes, since my miscarriage 4 years ago I have good days bad days and days where I want to hide in bed.

since seeing a counsellor which is private I have got stronger i know triggers and symptoms now. gradually im getting there

if someone has mental health issues dont shy sway. treat them like normal dont pussy foot around them as trust me they know.

"

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy/Talking Therapy/my Counsellor saved my life. Twice.

over a year ago

"people either hide their heads down and ignore it or are very ignorant about mental health.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy/Talking Therapy/my Counsellor saved my life. Twice."

and me x

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Mental health is a vast area of illness and one that still has a stigma to it. I bet I'd you asked a bunch of people who are on anti depressants if they feel they have mental health issues most will say no because they don't want to be labelled as having it.

I think society is getting better at accepting it but I also think that the past stereotyping of mentally ill people as dangerous and unfit to do anything etc is very deep rooted.

More education is needed and better systems of support for those suffering as well

over a year ago

"Mental health is a vast area of illness and one that still has a stigma to it. I bet I'd you asked a bunch of people who are on anti depressants if they feel they have mental health issues most will say no because they don't want to be labelled as having it.

I think society is getting better at accepting it but I also think that the past stereotyping of mentally ill people as dangerous and unfit to do anything etc is very deep rooted.

More education is needed and better systems of support for those suffering as well "

true

I admit im on antidepressants for stress snd anxiety

its helping me switch off my brainso I can sleep

get my health back

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ......

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy/Talking Therapy/my Counsellor saved my life. Twice."

Those sound like the tracks on side 2 of Leonard Cohen's last ever album.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

We all have mental health but not all of us have good mental health. I think about wellbeing now, rather than mental health/illness.

I do think there has always been a bit of a class difference in attitudes to some ill health behaviours: the rich and flamboyant are eccentric when they are bi-polar and the poor are just mad (and often bad).

I do think wellbeing should be taught in schools. The work I have seen with young people who have been through wellbeing training is amazing. One young woman told me that she no longer takes the piss out of people who are different as having met some mental health service users she has been able to realise they are just people after all and some of them are people she can and does like.

I do think we can do more to support young people through the big transitions from primary to secondary and from secondary to tertiary or work. Critical points like this are where it can all go wrong from some young people. Our systems don't help either. Young people are suddenly dropped at 18 as they move into Adult Mental Health Services and lose most, if not all, of the support they have had.

I gave an inter_iew many years ago about my clinical depression and how it is still possible to function at a high professional level. I did say that it is easier to tell people that you are an axe murderer than to say that you're a bit mad. I am open about my mental wellbeing and that helps me to be honest with myself about when I need help and when I need to look after myself.

Depression can be short term, reactive and one off or it can be a lifetime battle and everything inbetween.

Licketysplits was born after a very dark time for me when I got through a weekend of wanting to end my life. I never act on those desires but they are there all the time.

People who have good mental wellbeing and resilience find it hard to understand how tiring it is to be unwell in this way. Others are a little scared that they may teeter off the edge and join us bonkers people. Both can be prone to being intolerant to what they cannot grasp.

over a year ago

" ......

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy/Talking Therapy/my Counsellor saved my life. Twice.

Those sound like the tracks on side 2 of Leonard Cohen's last ever album."

I could write that song lol I made a punk metal/hip hop song about riding a bicycle!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"We all have mental health but not all of us have good mental health. I think about wellbeing now, rather than mental health/illness.

I do think there has always been a bit of a class difference in attitudes to some ill health behaviours: the rich and flamboyant are eccentric when they are bi-polar and the poor are just mad (and often bad).

I do think wellbeing should be taught in schools. The work I have seen with young people who have been through wellbeing training is amazing. One young woman told me that she no longer takes the piss out of people who are different as having met some mental health service users she has been able to realise they are just people after all and some of them are people she can and does like.

I do think we can do more to support young people through the big transitions from primary to secondary and from secondary to tertiary or work. Critical points like this are where it can all go wrong from some young people. Our systems don't help either. Young people are suddenly dropped at 18 as they move into Adult Mental Health Services and lose most, if not all, of the support they have had.

I gave an inter_iew many years ago about my clinical depression and how it is still possible to function at a high professional level. I did say that it is easier to tell people that you are an axe murderer than to say that you're a bit mad. I am open about my mental wellbeing and that helps me to be honest with myself about when I need help and when I need to look after myself.

Depression can be short term, reactive and one off or it can be a lifetime battle and everything inbetween.

Licketysplits was born after a very dark time for me when I got through a weekend of wanting to end my life. I never act on those desires but they are there all the time.

People who have good mental wellbeing and resilience find it hard to understand how tiring it is to be unwell in this way. Others are a little scared that they may teeter off the edge and join us bonkers people. Both can be prone to being intolerant to what they cannot grasp.

"

that is one of the most open, honest and accurate posts I have ever read on this site..

over a year ago

Don't we have others things to worry about other than a pathetic costume?

Ffs. Some people need a reality check

over a year ago

"Don't we have others things to worry about other than a pathetic costume?

Ffs. Some people need a reality check"

Too right Bluey

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The OP wasn't about the costume, that has arisen in the thread. The reality check is that those that don't know any better are being presented with a terribly offensive _iew of "mental patients" by literally labelling a costume in this way.

Just as with other inequalities, these messages stick and us "over sensitive killjoys" will keep pointing out that it's not acceptable.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

There's a whole bunch of people out there whose job is to complain about stuff.

over a year ago

Too right Bluey"

Glad it's not just me then

over a year ago

The OP wasn't about the costume, that has arisen in the thread. The reality check is that those that don't know any better are being presented with a terribly offensive _iew of "mental patients" by literally labelling a costume in this way.

Just as with other inequalities, these messages stick and us "over sensitive killjoys" will keep pointing out that it's not acceptable.

"

Come on, who really thinks of people in these institutions are like the costume portrays? No one does.

over a year ago

asda selling mental patient costumes shows some backward thinking

thankfully theyve pulled them!

over a year ago

Come on, who really thinks of people in these institutions are like the costume portrays? No one does. "

How many people actually know what these institutions look like on the inside anyway?

Are they thinking of the Halloween films? Hellraiser? One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest? These places aren't prisons for the deranged and murderous. A costume ought to be easily seperable from fact!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Come on, who really thinks of people in these institutions are like the costume portrays? No one does. "

No one with any sense but mental health charities get so few opportunities to be on the telly ( for reasons see above), that they grasp every opportunity, however silly some might see it.

As we sit here there'll already be a funding application being drafted for some spurious reason in connection with today's events.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

You'd be surprised. I have spoken to people who think mental health service users are straitjacketed and sitting in padded rooms, rocking backwards and forwards. These are adults. What will children think?

I don't have a problem with the costume but I do with the labelling. It could have been labelled axe murderer and fulfill it's brief as a Halloween costume. Why should mental health be associated with Halloween anyway?

over a year ago

Come on, who really thinks of people in these institutions are like the costume portrays? No one does.

How many people actually know what these institutions look like on the inside anyway?

Are they thinking of the Halloween films? Hellraiser? One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest? These places aren't prisons for the deranged and murderous. A costume ought to be easily seperable from fact!"

The fact is this I've seen this costume about for a while and nothing happened.

I've also seen the Jimmy Saville costume on sale. Any news about that?

Nope.

over a year ago

No one with any sense but mental health charities get so few opportunities to be on the telly ( for reasons see above), that they grasp every opportunity, however silly some might see it.

As we sit here there'll already be a funding application being drafted for some spurious reason in connection with today's events."

Sadly agreeable. I dont want mental health issues to end up like gay rights issues is to Stonewall.

As a lifelong depressive, I know that when someone grants me the time to talk about it, it's like opening the floodgates. There is too much to process and it will overwhelm people to the point that just like with everything else that gets sensationalised, the majority will just turn a blind eye.

over a year ago

"

Nope. "

...FUUUUCK... YOU SERIOUS???

over a year ago

25 years ago I was diagnosed with depression, and have seen changes. General awareness of the broad spectrum of mental health is better thanks to media - Eastenders a prime example. Sadly general ignorance is much the same, the good old 'can't see it so it's not real' attitude is still there. Empathy is hard to find, even in today's world.

Mental health services are better in essence, yet have been reduced to a service that is so very overstretched.

over a year ago

Ill tell you what's mental about the whole thing!! The bloody price!!

Daylight robbery!! Asda price my arse!!

over a year ago

"

Nope.

...FUUUUCK... YOU SERIOUS??? "

Yeah. It was just after the whole investigation on him.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

[Removed by poster at 27/09/13 07:20:52]

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of sympathy for mental health issues here from those who have had direct contact with mental illness, but very little from those still have to have the pleasure.

I dont know about other illnesses but I have a very strong interest in Bipolar disorder being a manic depressive myself. Most manic depressives kill themselves before the age of 50 while in a state of depression.

In learning about the side-effects of depression and how it affects others I discovered the following 3 related facts that have stopped me from killing myself on many occasions and forced me to seek medical help 5 years ago:

1/ If you suicide there is a 50% chance that one of your siblings will suicide within 2 years, and a 25% that one of your friends will do the same unless there is medical intervention.

This is the reason why we get clusters of suicides (especially in teenagers)(do you really believe that all these car loads of young people dying in cars that loose control on straight roads are accidents?) That is why whenever there is a suicide or sudden violent death family and friend are given grief counseling, and that when it involves children/teenagers schools are closed. Its to stop the grief feeding on its self and causing feelings of guilt!

2/ The rates of suicide in ex service personal who have seen active service are much higher (the actual figures are classified and not available).

3/ All Coroners have standing orders issued by the HO to exclude suicide as a cause of death in ex servicemen unless there is an unambiguous suicide note and are advised to use the same standard in all self killing guiding juries to return miss-adventure or open verdicts.

Guilt is a terrible thing and guilt causes depression and guilt kills.

We all really need to become more aware of the killer in the corner that is depression and how it can effect all of us.

over a year ago

"I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of sympathy for mental health issues here from those who have had direct contact with mental illness, but very little from those still have to have the pleasure."

Runs right through my family on both sides. My father died an alcoholic when I was a toddler.

So maybe I'm just waiting my turn but for now I prefer to go with the 'pick yourself up' crowd. Life's too short.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of sympathy for mental health issues here from those who have had direct contact with mental illness, but very little from those still have to have the pleasure.

Runs right through my family on both sides. My father died an alcoholic when I was a toddler.

So maybe I'm just waiting my turn but for now I prefer to go with the 'pick yourself up' crowd. Life's too short."

Pick yourself up is good! Positive thought is a great shield against the blues!

over a year ago

I hope so

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of sympathy for mental health issues here from those who have had direct contact with mental illness, but very little from those still have to have the pleasure.

So maybe I'm just waiting my turn but for now I prefer to go with the 'pick yourself up' crowd. Life's too short."

I hope you maintain your resilience and wellbeing.

The 'life is too short' line is really difficult for me. I think life, my life, is too long. I have come close to death, not just at my hands, several times but somehow I keep surviving and that's tiring at times too.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"The 'life is too short' line is really difficult for me. I think life, my life, is too long. I have come close to death, not just at my hands, several times but somehow I keep surviving and that's tiring at times too."
You have my sympathy, I have been there when everything gets a very angry dark red and the space around me gets is big and small at the same time and the only way out I can see is to call time and end it all. It's then I find the strength to tough it through by remembering that if I kill myself I will piling so much guilt on my brothers and friends that at least 1 of them will not be able to cope and will kill themselves too.

At my worst I place little value on my life, but that gives me no right to devalue others! And that little bit of whatever keeps me strong.

over a year ago

"

At my worst I place little value on my life, but that gives me no right to devalue others! And that little bit of whatever keeps me strong. "

This is the thing for me, no matter how little you value yourself there's normally someone who will value you more. The difficulty is that many who are in this position where they don't value themselves don't realise how important they are and being told doesn't make any difference. It's an ever decreasing circle where the smallest change has the most profound effect.

over a year ago

"The 'life is too short' line is really difficult for me. I think life, my life, is too long. I have come close to death, not just at my hands, several times but somehow I keep surviving and that's tiring at times too.You have my sympathy, I have been there when everything gets a very angry dark red and the space around me gets is big and small at the same time and the only way out I can see is to call time and end it all. It's then I find the strength to tough it through by remembering that if I kill myself I will piling so much guilt on my brothers and friends that at least 1 of them will not be able to cope and will kill themselves too.

At my worst I place little value on my life, but that gives me no right to devalue others! And that little bit of whatever keeps me strong. "

Whatever gets you through your bleakest hours, hold on to it.

I've known those who haven't wanted the stigma of a suicidal parent to land onto their children. The call of death and an end of suffering was so great they tried to find ways of ending their life without it looking like a suicide.

Apparently killing yourself is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"The 'life is too short' line is really difficult for me. I think life, my life, is too long. I have come close to death, not just at my hands, several times but somehow I keep surviving and that's tiring at times too.You have my sympathy, I have been there when everything gets a very angry dark red and the space around me gets is big and small at the same time and the only way out I can see is to call time and end it all. It's then I find the strength to tough it through by remembering that if I kill myself I will piling so much guilt on my brothers and friends that at least 1 of them will not be able to cope and will kill themselves too.

At my worst I place little value on my life, but that gives me no right to devalue others! And that little bit of whatever keeps me strong.

Whatever gets you through your bleakest hours, hold on to it.

I've known those who haven't wanted the stigma of a suicidal parent to land onto their children. The call of death and an end of suffering was so great they tried to find ways of ending their life without it looking like a suicide.

Apparently killing yourself is not the easiest thing in the world to do."

It really isn't.

I know it would hurt my sister and the boys so I don't try. They do value my life even when I don't.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ...........

It really isn't.

I know it would hurt my sister and the boys so I don't try. They do value my life even when I don't.

"

Isn't that what causes stress and possible psychological trauma?

People feeling obliged to do (or not do) what others want of them, rather than doing what they choose for themselves?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

" ...........

It really isn't.

People feeling obliged to do (or not do) what others want of them, rather than doing what they choose for themselves?"

Yes but they don't pressure me and support me at my worst. I don't feel it's necessary to stay for anyone else.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Dont feel sorry for me, I am lucky!

For all the depressions and the deep downs I have incredible highs!

Most people have depression, they only have the downs and that is so much harder to deal with.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ...........

It really isn't.

People feeling obliged to do (or not do) what others want of them, rather than doing what they choose for themselves?

Yes but they don't pressure me and support me at my worst. I don't feel it's necessary to stay for anyone else.

"

The fact you know it would hurt them is pressure in itself.

over a year ago

Isn't killing yourself kind of like losing your temper. "Just because some people do it. It doesn't mean they think less of the people that care. For that split second they just lash out and they think the lashing out makes them feel better". Whoever says its sellfish/cowardly is stupid. As it takes tremendous amount of guts to do it. Also how many people can say when they have lost their temper and they hit someone/something they thought of a loved one. Not many, if any I can tell you.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Isn't killing yourself kind of like losing your temper. "Just because some people do it. It doesn't mean they think less of the people that care. For that split second they just lash out and they think the lashing out makes them feel better". Whoever says its sellfish/cowardly is stupid. As it takes tremendous amount of guts to do it. Also how many people can say when they have lost their temper and they hit someone/something they thought of a loved one. Not many, if any I can tell you. "

If it were like losing my temper it would be much easier.

over a year ago

Some people plan suicide for a long time, many months, years even.

I wouldnt agree that this is particularly lashing out, as much as someone who has run out of options and genuinely feels that those around them would be better off if the suicide victim were dead.

This may or may not be the case. But that's how it is in that persons head. That they are totally alone and a burden on those around them, a let down, useless, and they should remove themselves to make life better.

Depression is a terribly lonely illness. And so left behind when it comes to funding and service.

The mentally ill are not a cinderella project.

over a year ago

"Isn't killing yourself kind of like losing your temper. "Just because some people do it. It doesn't mean they think less of the people that care. For that split second they just lash out and they think the lashing out makes them feel better". Whoever says its sellfish/cowardly is stupid. As it takes tremendous amount of guts to do it. Also how many people can say when they have lost their temper and they hit someone/something they thought of a loved one. Not many, if any I can tell you. "

I don't think that's a good comparison - lashing out vs the effort it takes to prepare for suicide.

And I think it takes far more guts not to do it. If that makes me stupid in your opinion I'm quite happy with that.

over a year ago

On this subject, & lets face it, you can hardly get a more emotive subject; For fuck sake, if you don't know about it - just listen!...............why not learn something rather than post utter shit????

This is much closer to millions of hearts than you realise!!! Get it?

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

There are a couple of us here who have stuck our head over the wall and said we have been and probably will be suicidal again.

We are the lucky ones, we have admitted to ourselves and others we have a problem and have support if we want it.

There are many out there who are struggling with demons on their own, as we sit here somewhere someone is sitting in a dark and very lonely place looking at the tool that will end their life and in such despair that the only answer they can see is to turn the switch off. There are others who are so deep in denial that they have no idea that the decision has already been made subconsciously and as a result they are totally out of control and a danger to others as well as themselves. I am talking from experience, I have been both of the above. The only reason I am here now is that friends recognized my state of mind and didn't leave me alone for 6 months at one point. And that a neighbor called the police on the second occasion (they broke down my front door and had me sectioned).

I have been very lucky most are not.

over a year ago

I think alot of people have bad periods in their lifetime, could be a horrible childhood, loosing a baby, a cheating partner, money worries, health concerns.

Some people are able to bounce back easier than others, some people cope better than others, in my job I see that some let it rule their lives as others deal with it and put it behind them. I believe the stronger ones have less sympathy for the weaker ones as "they" have been through the shit too and come out the other end ok.

Personally I think as mental health is becomming more acceptable.... more people are going under the "umberella" when infact they dont have a mental health problem they are just having a shit time of it.

Post new Message to Thread