Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Money saving tips

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

With all the talk about benefits, necessities and luxuries of late, it seems many people are in the same boat: working or not they need their £ to stretch.

So have you any good ideas?

Considering we are now on the approach to Christmas, we need help from any quarter.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Collecting your used ear wax and storing it safely, means you can re-use it as ear plugs on plane trips.

over a year ago

I live in a village so shopping means fuel costs (it probably would make sense if I was to use online shopping but I like to see bargains first hand). I work in the city, therefore I tend to shop after work. Loyalty to certain shops is history as I now shop where the best offers are.

As for Christmas, well I have bought my first two luxury food items, whilst on offer of course . So the tip is to start early. As for Christmas cards, I bought them last year in the sales .

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

A next door neighbour's car aerial, carefully folded, makes an ideal coat hanger in an emergency.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Teach your dog to beg for food from strangers to help lower your dog food bill.

Tie them up outside a busy shopping centre but obviously watch from a distance so he doesn't get dognapped.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I hand make all my cards, saves a fortune and people love them. I collect tesco stamps through out the year, I have a coin jar that I empty my purse into when I've been shopping.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Cut all your electrical appliance's cables down to 2 inches. You will need less electricity to fill them up this way.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"I collect tesco stamps through out the year, "

I spend a small fortune on food at Xmas, always add something to my Asda gift card when doing shopping throughout the year just for this....

over a year ago

Funky and Ryan you need slapping. Humour is priceless though, so carry on

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"............. I collect tesco stamps through out the year, I have a coin jar that I empty my purse into when I've been shopping."

I'm a bit guilty of that too.

Tesco stamps with all the £1 coins in my pocket after I've bought stuff (although 95% of my groceries are delivered.

20p pieces in one jar. Coppers in another.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My suggestion is corporate theft and then share the wealth.

over a year ago

Whats the point of trying to save pennies when the bastard price of everything keeps going up anyway.

If wages were linked to the Retail Price Index, we would all have 6 figure salaries

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

teach your hamster to use a snorkel and then put it inside the washing machine to rotate the drum

saves on having to use electricity

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Always poo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid for it.

over a year ago

"teach your hamster to use a snorkel and then put it inside the washing machine to rotate the drum

saves on having to use electricity"

I don't think my hamster would wear a snorkel

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Always poo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid for it.

"

and if you cut your own hair while having the said poo at work its a double win win

save on the cost of the haircut and get paid for doing it...result

over a year ago

let friends and family know that your not sending cards this year as you are doing your bit to lower your carbon footprint, and with the money you save you can have a long weekend in Tenerife x

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"teach your hamster to use a snorkel and then put it inside the washing machine to rotate the drum

saves on having to use electricity

I don't think my hamster would wear a snorkel "

why not the guinea pigs in gforce do

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"let friends and family know that your not sending cards this year as you are doing your bit to lower your carbon footprint, and with the money you save you can have a long weekend in Tenerife x "

....... or even do something enjoyable.

over a year ago

"let friends and family know that your not sending cards this year as you are doing your bit to lower your carbon footprint, and with the money you save you can have a long weekend in Tenerife x "

Great idea, apart from the huge carbon footprint of the aircraft that flies you there.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Don't waste money going to a public swimming pool. Make your own by filling the bath with cold water, adding a bottle of bleach, then peeing in it, before jumping in.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"With all the talk about benefits, necessities and luxuries of late, it seems many people are in the same boat: working or not they need their £ to stretch.

Considering we are now on the approach to Christmas, we need help from any quarter."

sign up to Ibidder and start looking at what is being sold by the commercial auction houses. I buy most of my big purchases from TLH auctioneers and pick up presents through the timed auctions. Much cheaper than Ebay

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"My suggestion is corporate theft and then share the wealth. "
Out of the mouths....

over a year ago

when you can walk or cycle to save money on public transport and petrol, you will keep fit too.

grow your own veg like runner beans and tomatoes. buy clothes in the sales or in charity shops.

i buy xmas and birthday preasants in the sales when i see them for half price.

over a year ago

"Cut all your electrical appliance's cables down to 2 inches. You will need less electricity to fill them up this way. "

Haha this actually just made me choke on my lunch!!

over a year ago

"Always poo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid for it.

"

And save money on your water bill too.

over a year ago

"With all the talk about benefits, necessities and luxuries of late, it seems many people are in the same boat: working or not they need their £ to stretch.

Considering we are now on the approach to Christmas, we need help from any quarter."

win the lottery ££££££££'s

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Cut all your electrical appliance's cables down to 2 inches. You will need less electricity to fill them up this way.

Haha this actually just made me choke on my lunch!! "

Why? It is good advice. All electrical cable has resistance, the longer it is the greater the resistance and the more lecy needed to preform the same task

over a year ago

Christmas is a time to be with family. Small,well thought out presents and an affordable meal with a few extra sweets would be enough for a family that cares. Best part of Christmas for me when my children were little was the evening having family over to play games or watching films together with a tin of Roses, which are £4 in Tesco at the moment ( insert holly icon )

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Cut all your electrical appliance's cables down to 2 inches. You will need less electricity to fill them up this way.

Why? It is good advice. All electrical cable has resistance, the longer it is the greater the resistance and the more lecy needed to preform the same task"

Won't the extra length contribute a bit towards heating up the room the appliance is in?

Swings and roundabouts, eh?

By *ushandkittyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Local councils can save money by getting rid of street sweepers and get blind people fit spikes on the end of their white sticks!!!

over a year ago

a tip for the smokers.

To save money, light one fag from the last one, save matches x

over a year ago

If your going out to a pub sneak your own vodka in and just buy the mixer

over a year ago

"If your going out to a pub sneak your own vodka in and just buy the mixer "

done that before.

over a year ago

most of us have,

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

one for the ladies

save on your computers keyboard wear and the ensuing cost of replacing it by not searching the site for your next guy, just send one message to me

over a year ago

Don't waste money on expensive iPods. Simply think of your favourite tune and hum it. If you want to "switch tracks", simply think of another song you like and hum that instead

By *eonlylive1seCouple
over a year ago

Atherstone

[Removed by poster at 24/09/13 13:48:31]

By *eonlylive1seCouple
over a year ago

Atherstone

"Cut all your electrical appliance's cables down to 2 inches. You will need less electricity to fill them up this way. "

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Why? It is good advice. All electrical cable has resistance, the longer it is the greater the resistance and the more lecy needed to preform the same task

Won't the extra length contribute a bit towards heating up the room the appliance is in?

Swings and roundabouts, eh?"

No...

the motor or heater element requires the same amount of energy to preform a task no matter the length of cable between the meter and appliance. However the further the appliance is from the meter the greater the resistance. If you are able, move all your white goods as close to the meter as possible and save even more money.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

dont use your laptops keyboard and touch-pad! buy a cheap usb keyboard and mouse, much cheaper when keys fail And easier to use

over a year ago

Why? It is good advice. All electrical cable has resistance, the longer it is the greater the resistance and the more lecy needed to preform the same task"

Smart arse

over a year ago

give out vouchers for favours such as a meal cooked your place or one babysitting ect .....or voucher or a bj ect x

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

next time you fill up with fuel pinch a load of the free gloves that are by the pumps and use them as condoms with clit stimulators attached as a bonus

over a year ago

"Don't waste money on expensive iPods. Simply think of your favourite tune and hum it. If you want to "switch tracks", simply think of another song you like and hum that instead

"

Loving this

By *taffsfella1Man
over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

Save on water bills by standing outside in the rain to take a shower

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Buy your fuel late at night (preferably about half an hour BEFORE dawn).

Reason is fuel is sold by the Ltr which is a volume-metric measurement and liquids are denser at lower tempratures

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Smart arse "

Its not too bad, and its been known to get "nice arse" comments from young girls in the past!

over a year ago

Split giant multipacks of loo roll, kitchen roll with a friend, half each when they are on offer.

yellow label food shop towards closing time saves ££. Plenty things reduced can be frozen esp meat, cheese, butter.

Look for limited time half price store cupboard items...pasta, soup, sauces etc.

Cook in bulk when making meals and freeze.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Be a complete tosser. You'll have no friends which will save you a fortune - no Christmas cards or birthday cards to buy, no gifts to buy, no expensive nights out.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Be a complete tosser. You'll have no friends which will save you a fortune - no Christmas cards or birthday cards to buy, no gifts to buy, no expensive nights out."

More and more people are refusing to buy into the nonsense that is xmas cards, presents etc.

over a year ago

Stick rice crispies on your tyres so next door think you have a expensive gravel drive.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Do what I'm doing this year - visiting relatives so they have to cook the Xmas dinner. They can have some homemade booze in return.

over a year ago

put all your two and one pound coins into a whisky bottle and all the other change into another its staggering just how much you can save in a very short time .for xmas i put away £10 per wk so thats £520 by the end of the yr

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Don't waste money on electricity, washing powder, fabric conditioner and wear & tear on your washing machine by washing and ironing your own shirts. Just donate them to your local charity shop and buy them back for 75p the following week.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an ideal cheap vibrator.

over a year ago

Vouchers and offers can save you a lot and can get all sorts ..

over a year ago

All so get a big freeza a stock up on foods when in season .. Like now loads of apples around and not costing a lot friends may give you some can make a lot with apples , And free foods blackberries on the bushes and others things but if living in town not so easy .But I keep loads of apples frozen for all year its a sweet like apple pie, a crumble and apple to go with pork , Maybe get a slow cooker you plug in and get cheep more flavour meats that take longer can make a big stew and make different meal from it .. xx

over a year ago

"An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an ideal cheap vibrator."

What about a smarties tube?

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an ideal cheap vibrator.

What about a smarties tube? "

I'm guessing the cardboard would absorb the vibrations. A bit of old guttering might work

over a year ago

"An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an ideal cheap vibrator.

What about a smarties tube?

I'm guessing the cardboard would absorb the vibrations. A bit of old guttering might work "

over a year ago

Buy a car that does almost 70 to the gallon. Turn all sockets off around the house and don't leave anything on stand by. Try going to a supermarket at different times of day. Some places put their reduced stuff out at the same time each day. My mate almost filled his freezer with meat for £15 but getting there at the right time. Buy cleaning products from 99p shop. I save loads doing that. Plan meals carefully it amazing how cheaply u can knock up tasty dinners for next to nothing . I'm sure I know loads more but can't think at the mo. I'm a tight arse but that's why I end up with plenty of spare cash each month. Lol

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I brought a bit joint of gammon tesco finest was 9 quid I got it for 1.44 that will come out the freezer and get boiled and made into various different things..

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 24/09/13 19:01:50]

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

Find a friend with a shop and buy in bulk from Bookers.

Find a friend who works in a store and get them to buy Xmas presents on their staff discount but don't take the piss.

Always have cheap box wine in the house to save on quaffing the expensive stuff when you are pissed, (guilty on this and learnt my lesson)

Oh and it seems somebody has a Viz album and can read and repost! But loving the viz..isms.

over a year ago

Get a sugar daddy/ mummy.

By *uffymayfairCouple
over a year ago

vera playa, Almeria

Go to asda around 6pm they have some great reductions and a lot of the fruit and veg will last for ages, mangos will often have a sell by date before they are even ripe, Also use by and best before have totally different meanings, even if it is out of date before throwing things away smell em and if it doesn't smell bad chances are its ok, however be careful of unprocessed cheeses and sea food. X x

By *uffymayfairCouple
over a year ago

vera playa, Almeria

Go to a posh area and check out their charity shops

over a year ago

Take one grape to the self serve check out. It won't register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure 100 times or so and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes.

By * and K coupleTV/TS
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Join Green peace and live up a tree or you could hop on the boat,you wont have to buy sod all then........or you could give poundland a visit

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"

Oh and it seems somebody has a Viz album and can read and repost! But loving the viz..isms.

"

Haha you can't beat them

over a year ago

Have a drink with me. My shout

By *obbygggMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Go to a posh area and check out their charity shops "
Go to a charity where there are bicycles for kids and steal them like an earlier post described. Alternatively shoplift and spend the money you save on WKD and fags like they do round here.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

when eating at beefeater choose the gammon and choose the egg to come with it rather than the pineapple, then get a spoonful of pineapple from the free salad bar

bingo you've now got egg and pineapple with your gammon rather than having to pay extra for it as an option

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Sign up to quidco and topcashback and do all your Internet shopping through them for deals and cash back...

Two true but slightly strange ones... If you have a bath leave it full until it's cooled before emptying it... That way the heat is absorbed into the air temp save heating the sewers. Second one turn off the oven halfway through cooking... It takes slightly longer but uses half the gas/electric... Then open door when finished cookung to help heat the room... It's amazing the weird shit you remember...

Finally check out moneysavingexpert.

over a year ago

"Get a sugar daddy/ mummy."

If only

over a year ago

"Take one grape to the self serve check out. It won't register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure 100 times or so and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes."

select a bag of grapes, eat them as you shop, when weighed you have saved a few quid,

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Take one grape to the self serve check out. It won't register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure 100 times or so and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes."

'Cept they wouldn't actually be a bunch.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Forgot to mention this one earlier...

Write to large manufacturers (nappy makers, pet-food makers, tinned food producers, toiletries, cosmetics...) giving them glowing testimonials and "volunteering" to test and give feedback on new products.

You will not be successful anything like all the time but you will find that the postie is bringing you enough money off vouchers and complimentary offers for it to be worth your while, and every now and then big boxes of goodies!

Continue the campaign and eventually you will hit the jackpot and find yourself on a customer testing panel.

Then you will be on one of the "independent study (of 207)" where 83% recommended this new product. As seen on the bottom of adds.

over a year ago

I've found that since doing my good shopping online I'm saving about £20 off my regular shop as I'm much more aware of what I'm adding and the cost.

Re Xmas; I've started buying small gifts here and there but have also agreed wih other family members in either a price limit or giving hand made gifts. My sister is doing hampers with cake, biscuits etc and I have a lung standing agreement with my best friend to find each other fun/cute gifts for £5 Xmas should not be about getting into debt!

By *eonlylive1seCouple
over a year ago

Atherstone

"put all your two and one pound coins into a whisky bottle and all the other change into another its staggering just how much you can save in a very short time .for xmas i put away £10 per wk so thats £520 by the end of the yr "

We do just that

We have a giant plastic Jack Daniels bottle that we save £2 coins in, we have bought a washing machine, two recliner chairs, a log effect fire ( all for our narrowboat) and gave the kids £100 hol spends out of that over the last theee years . Never managed to even half fill it tho lol

over a year ago

Boil wash used condoms and peg on line to dry. Get at least another 10 uses out of them

over a year ago

"Boil wash used condoms and peg on line to dry. Get at least another 10 uses out of them "

nice

over a year ago

"Boil wash used condoms and peg on line to dry. Get at least another 10 uses out of them "

If I meet a man and I do not see him tear open a condom packet, I'm-a-running .

over a year ago

Free shoes,

If you are diabetic or have certain health conditions, that make your ankles or feet swell. Ask your doctor for some hand made fitted shoes, trainers or boots, we are all entitled to 2 pairs.

You should be sent of to be measured and will be given a catalogue of modern styles to chose from, men or women styles,

If you had to pay for hand made shoes could cost £300 or above, so saving of at least £600

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Free shoes,

If you are diabetic or have certain health conditions, that make your ankles or feet swell. Ask your doctor for some hand made fitted shoes, trainers or boots, we are all entitled to 2 pairs.

You should be sent of to be measured and will be given a catalogue of modern styles to chose from, men or women styles,

If you had to pay for hand made shoes could cost £300 or above, so saving of at least £600 "

Think I would take a swerve on that one...

The NHS is in enough trouble without me or others scamming it.

over a year ago

"Free shoes,

If you had to pay for hand made shoes could cost £300 or above, so saving of at least £600 Think I would take a swerve on that one...

The NHS is in enough trouble without me or others scamming it."

If you're entitled then it isn't a scam. I would imagine the criteria for eligibility is strict.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Free shoes have to be cheaper than amputation and aftercare.

over a year ago

"Free shoes,

If you had to pay for hand made shoes could cost £300 or above, so saving of at least £600 Think I would take a swerve on that one...

The NHS is in enough trouble without me or others scamming it.

If you're entitled then it isn't a scam. I would imagine the criteria for eligibility is strict."

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

To 3 posts above:

Very fair comments, but for the most part this has been about ways we can all save money.

over a year ago

"To 3 posts above:

Very fair comments, but for the most part this has been about ways we can all save money."

And for the diabetic/foot sweller it may be info they haven't come across and therefore would save them money .

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

True, but I was under the impression that if you develop type 2 diabetes you are automatically referred to a podiatrist for weekly feet inspections, nail cutting and any other required treatments which I would have thought would have included prescription footwear.

over a year ago

"True, but I was under the impression that if you develop type 2 diabetes you are automatically referred to a podiatrist for weekly feet inspections, nail cutting and any other required treatments which I would have thought would have included prescription footwear."

it is my understanding only insulin dependent diabetics receive free podiatry, and weekly is unlikely. I would suggest patients discuss with their GP just in case there are regional differences.

over a year ago

I always turn my condoms inside out and give them a rinse. Pop them in the airing cupboatd for 30 mins and they're good for another go! I also use both sides on the toilet paper.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"True, but I was under the impression that if you develop type 2 diabetes you are automatically referred to a podiatrist for weekly feet inspections, nail cutting and any other required treatments which I would have thought would have included prescription footwear.

it is my understanding only insulin dependent diabetics receive free podiatry, and weekly is unlikely. I would suggest patients discuss with their GP just in case there are regional differences. "

I did not know that, I do now, thankyou

By *nthony-MancMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Things are starting to heat up , keep it going

Post new Message to Thread