Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

physical fitness training

Jump to newest

By *reelove1969 OP   Couple
over a year ago

bristol

if it becomes addictive and you cant get through the day without your 'training fix' is this a problem like other addictions ??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Only if its causing you mental stress, otherwise, well done for successfully incorporating exercise into your daily regime.

over a year ago

bristol

I like your answer sexybrain !

over a year ago

the more you do the better results you get hence don't want to stop,been there a few times

over a year ago

"the more you do the better results"

...up to a point, overtraining will stop your gains dead in their tracks. Whilst its important to push yourself hard in training, remember its also important to get sufficient rest in order to keep that level of effort up.

over a year ago

bristol

how does overtraining stop gains dead in their tracks .. genuine question as I don't really understand how this all works ?

over a year ago

Overtraining is when you get to the point where you're pushing yourself beyond your recovery ability each workout - basically, you've improved to the point where you're making a bigger inroad into your nervous system than you were previously capable of (due to increased strength/endurance), so now will need to reduce your training frequency/volume for a little while until you've fully recovered.

over a year ago

bristol

hmmm ..interesting response sexybrain ..ive lost the use of my arm for no apparent reason ..it has been dead for 2 weeks now .. hoping it will come back though

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"hmmm ..interesting response sexybrain ..ive lost the use of my arm for no apparent reason ..it has been dead for 2 weeks now .. hoping it will come back though "

Errr, maybe go to the doctors? There's a difference between training and actually damaging yourself.

over a year ago

I can only advise people how to keep their training productive, probably best to get your arm checked out by your GP

over a year ago

bristol

have been ... been told it is carpal tunnel syndrome

over a year ago

People always want to get big or fit fast. It takes along long time. Am over 40 years of age and am fitter than ive ever been. Was a RM when i was a lad 7 years in the corp.

Depends on what your looking for. Muscle, weight loss or endurance.

Me personally have trained since i was 18.

Never took a supplement in my life. Protein etc.

I train 3-4 hours 5 days a week. Circut bike and running x country. Summer months i add a bit of seakayaking. I eat normally with treats such as chocolate chips and curry.

Am an ultra runner an endurance expedition racer. Running about 50 miles crosscountry weekly. Am more interested in endurance than building big muscle.

Longest run i have completed so far is a 177 miles in 70 hrs mixed terrain.

So just mix your training if you want to have the body of a 17 year old an be as fit as a butchers dog. listen to your body, if its tied rest If its hungry feed it. Fitness is in the mind.

You should rest that arm but still train if its fitness your after but i wouldnt be lifting weight with it.

Goodluck hope you get the results your after

over a year ago

bristol

I am after fitness also ..not really into looking huge as I never will .. my weight fluctuates between 6 and a half stone and 7 so never gonna be big but fitness matters hugely to me and I do focus on it

over a year ago

"I am after fitness also ..not really into looking huge as I never will .. my weight fluctuates between 6 and a half stone and 7 so never gonna be big but fitness matters hugely to me and I do focus on it "

Well you dont need to lose weight. Probably put a bit on if your tall. Swimming is great for building your fitness and spinning for cardio both have very little negative impact on the body.

over a year ago

"People always want to get big or fit fast. It takes along long time. Am over 40 years of age and am fitter than ive ever been. Was a RM when i was a lad 7 years in the corp.

I train 3-4 hours 5 days a week. Circut bike and running x country. Summer months i add a bit of seakayaking. I eat normally with treats such as chocolate chips and curry.

Am an ultra runner an endurance expedition racer. Running about 50 miles crosscountry weekly. Am more interested in endurance than building big muscle.

So just mix your training if you want to have the body of a 17 year old an be as fit as a butchers dog. listen to your body, if its tied rest If its hungry feed it. Fitness is in the mind.

You should rest that arm but still train if its fitness your after but i wouldnt be lifting weight with it.

Goodluck hope you get the results your after"

Some very sound advice there, I just wish I'd listened to my body 2 years ago, like you I'm ex military and I'm used to training methods and techniques, but after a long lay off I hit the gym hard to try and be the person I used to be in my 20's n 30's, but with the amount of stress I was under and the desire to regain my shape and fitness. I hit the gym 5 days a week intense training for 45 minutes with minimum rest breaks. End result I had a heart attack, luckily I'm still here but I can never go back into a gym, well I can but the Doc's say I could only do light training but with my mind set that would never happen. Now I'm still fit and healthy, I don't have the physique I'd like but I am content with what I have and a few press ups a day keeps me trim....

So just make sure any aches and pains go get them checked out with the Doc.

And train to your ability ...

over a year ago

"People always want to get big or fit fast. It takes along long time. Am over 40 years of age and am fitter than ive ever been. Was a RM when i was a lad 7 years in the corp.

Goodluck hope you get the results your after

Some very sound advice there, I just wish I'd listened to my body 2 years ago, like you I'm ex military and I'm used to training methods and techniques, but after a long lay off I hit the gym hard to try and be the person I used to be in my 20's n 30's, but with the amount of stress I was under and the desire to regain my shape and fitness. I hit the gym 5 days a week intense training for 45 minutes with minimum rest breaks. End result I had a heart attack, luckily I'm still here but I can never go back into a gym, well I can but the Doc's say I could only do light training but with my mind set that would never happen. Now I'm still fit and healthy, I don't have the physique I'd like but I am content with what I have and a few press ups a day keeps me trim....

So just make sure any aches and pains go get them checked out with the Doc.

And train to your ability ..."

over a year ago

"if it becomes addictive and you cant get through the day without your 'training fix' is this a problem like other addictions ??"

Nope. When I played sport more seriously I was a nightmare when the season ended or if injured. Nowadays I find a glass of red wine works.

Post new Message to Thread