By *icoupleforfunz27 OP   Couple
over a year ago

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 20/09/13 22:59:20]

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Kin ell, the Tories were quick with that cut.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Moving on from you debate regarding benefits the other day, i have a further question I would like to debate, so please post your opinions below.

If your on benefits, should you be able to afford to smoke or drink??

Now dont get me wrong im not saying make the eat bread and water and nothing more. They have just as much right as anyone else, my point is more to do with morals. The government give us money to help us live and it's worked out to provide for the basics. And yes if there is any over then than should not be much, not enough to buy fags and booze.

Now so many people are saying they can't afford the bedroom tax, but they smoke why not give it up and pay your way???

As a worker if i want to smoke or drink, i have to make enough money to buy it, if one month the bills are to high then my family come first.

So what do you all think, and please don't shoot me down, not having a go at people, this is just my opinion

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

Kin ell, the Tories were quick with that cut. "

Haha sorry about that, pressed send before I finished message, sausage fingers lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

And what about people on Fab who might be on benefits, should they be able to afford to pay to be a supporter???

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/09/13 23:13:01]

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

What should people on benefits be able to spend their money on then?

An ex soldier who has post traumatic stress syndrome and can't work for instance, should he be allowed a pint? A pensioner who claims pension credit and housing allowance? My mother who gets disability living allowance? Should they live on a basic diet and have nothing in the way of pleasure?

Reply privately

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

I don't think people on benifits should have any luxury things. But the only way to stop that would be a return to food stamps or something similar.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't think people on benifits should have any luxury things. But the only way to stop that would be a return to food stamps or something similar."

what do you call a luxury?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Isn't Child Benefit a benefit and claimable by everyone (at least by one parent) who has children?

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"What should people on benefits be able to spend their money on then?

An ex soldier who has post traumatic stress syndrome and can't work for instance, should he be allowed a pint? A pensioner who claims pension credit and housing allowance? My mother who gets disability living allowance? Should they live on a basic diet and have nothing in the way of pleasure?"

Yes they should be alound pleasures, but the benefits are designed to pay for the basics. Not slating anyone, just lots have said they can't afford the bedroom tax yet they smoke and drink.

This was more what my post was about.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't think people on benifits should have any luxury things. But the only way to stop that would be a return to food stamps or something similar."

The Yanks may like that idea, they are said to have some 48m on food stamps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I don't think people on benifits should have any luxury things. But the only way to stop that would be a return to food stamps or something similar.

what do you call a luxury? "

Well drinking and smoking for a start, and why we're on the subject sky tv

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

i have to ask what is it with your obsession with people on benefits??

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

An ex soldier who has post traumatic stress syndrome and can't work for instance, should he be allowed a pint? A pensioner who claims pension credit and housing allowance? My mother who gets disability living allowance? Should they live on a basic diet and have nothing in the way of pleasure? Yes they should be alound pleasures, but the benefits are designed to pay for the basics. Not slating anyone, just lots have said they can't afford the bedroom tax yet they smoke and drink.

This was more what my post was about."

Lots of people who don't smoke and drink can't afford the bedroom tax either, what's to be done about the pesky benefit claimants who don't fit the scrounger mould?

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

Isn't Child Benefit a benefit and claimable by everyone (at least by one parent) who has children?

"

Yes it's a benefit but that's to help pay for a child's upbringing, so very controversial if there spending it on drink

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't think people on benifits should have any luxury things. But the only way to stop that would be a return to food stamps or something similar.

Well drinking and smoking for a start, and why we're on the subject sky tv "

so do you think that everyone on benefits is living a life of luxury at our expense?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Benefits bashing is getting fucking boring really fucking quickly.

I am unemployed, I get rejected regularly and have had the confidence knocks out of me yet I still go back for more because I am not better off on benefits than I am if I were working.

I don't drink or smoke but I do horse ride and go without to be able to, I won't have anyone tell me I shouldnt do the only thing that keeps me sane just because the tax payers are paying for it!

Oh shit, I forgot, I pay tax too! Every time I fill my fridge!!

Reply privately

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

what do you call a luxury? "

well smoking and drinking for a start. A car aholiday. Anything above ssubsistence living. Otherwise where is the incentive to get of benifits.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Yes it's a benefit but that's to help pay for a child's upbringing, so very controversial if there spending it on drink "

who's spending it on drink?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Here's another ' knock the skivers' thread. I have worked all my life, not a slacker. Recently I was forced to claim benefits, personal circumstances. It was horrible. Claiming is demeaning, degrading, makes you feel less than a person. The system is rigid, has no compassion and causes stress to those already finding life difficult.

Cut those in genuine hardship some slack. One day it may be you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"i have to ask what is it with your obsession with people on benefits?? "

Its not an obsession with benefits, it's called having a point if view, at things i believe is wrong. Am I not entitled to that.

And yes your entitled to your opinion, but ifs its not to do with the questions its not really valid.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"i have to ask what is it with your obsession with people on benefits??

Its not an obsession with benefits, it's called having a point if view, at things i believe is wrong. Am I not entitled to that.

And yes your entitled to your opinion, but ifs its not to do with the questions its not really valid."

oh touchy.....

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Benefits bashing is getting fucking boring really fucking quickly.

I am unemployed, I get rejected regularly and have had the confidence knocks out of me yet I still go back for more because I am not better off on benefits than I am if I were working.

I don't drink or smoke but I do horse ride and go without to be able to, I won't have anyone tell me I shouldnt do the only thing that keeps me sane just because the tax payers are paying for it!

Oh shit, I forgot, I pay tax too! Every time I fill my fridge!! "

well said!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Yes it's a benefit but that's to help pay for a child's upbringing, so very controversial if there spending it on drink "

Well, what proportion of claiming parents are both tee-total and non smokers?

1-2% if you're lucky?

Why not include cars, should people on benefits run cars?

Reply privately

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

An ex soldier who has post traumatic stress syndrome and can't work for instance, should he be allowed a pint? A pensioner who claims pension credit and housing allowance? My mother who gets disability living allowance? Should they live on a basic diet and have nothing in the way of pleasure? Yes they should be alound pleasures, but the benefits are designed to pay for the basics. Not slating anyone, just lots have said they can't afford the bedroom tax yet they smoke and drink.

This was more what my post was about.

Lots of people who don't smoke and drink can't afford the bedroom tax either, what's to be done about the pesky benefit claimants who don't fit the scrounger mould?"

its not a bedroom tax. Its a reduction in benifit for people with an extra room , a very different thing. I would love to be able to afford a spare room. But I chose a life of paying my way so will have to wait until I can afford it

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Some people always need someone they can feel superior to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

And yes your entitled to your opinion, but ifs its not to do with the questions its not really valid.

oh touchy..... "

do you prefer touch feely?

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

so do you think that everyone on benefits is living a life of luxury at our expense?"

did I say everyone?? I'm talking about people who say they can't afford bedroom tax, yet pay extra for luxuries.

I'm not talking bout anything else, why do lots on here jump on other things or try to put words in other people's mouths.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

And yes your entitled to your opinion, but ifs its not to do with the questions its not really valid."

but a lot of the things you seem to believe are wrong. You make sweeping statements with no evidence to back them up and start thread after thread about benefit claimants. We live in a country where there are approximately 23 unemployed people for every job....they aren't all layabouts with a crack habit who steal their children's child benefit and spend it on white lightning.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Some people always need someone they can feel superior to."

Yet the OP can't even spell benefits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Have you put your point of view to Mr Farage or asked if he has any vacancies?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hi i have work very hard all my life payed mega amounts of tax and a stamp then at 40 nearly died now they wont let me work so are u saying i shouldnt get help

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

oh touchy.....

do you prefer touch feely? "

can you feel the love......

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

so do you think that everyone on benefits is living a life of luxury at our expense? did I say everyone?? I'm talking about people who say they can't afford bedroom tax, yet pay extra for luxuries.

I'm not talking bout anything else, why do lots on here jump on other things or try to put words in other people's mouths."

because you asked for debate and no ones putting words in your mouth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Some people always need someone they can feel superior to."

I don't think I am above no one, but if it makes you fell better to think that then that's fine with me. I would help anyone out, im not some snob you no, I cone from a normal upbringing on council estate and still happy to be there thank you.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

but a lot of the things you seem to believe are wrong. You make sweeping statements with no evidence to back them up and start thread after thread about benefit claimants. We live in a country where there are approximately 23 unemployed people for every job....they aren't all layabouts with a crack habit who steal their children's child benefit and spend it on white lightning."

i love you

Reply privately

over a year ago

but a lot of the things you seem to believe are wrong. You make sweeping statements with no evidence to back them up and start thread after thread about benefit claimants. We live in a country where there are approximately 23 unemployed people for every job....they aren't all layabouts with a crack habit who steal their children's child benefit and spend it on white lightning."

On the other hand, had there not been such a lucrative benefit system would there be 23 applicants for every vacancy? I very much doubt it.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Hi i have work very hard all my life payed mega amounts of tax and a stamp then at 40 nearly died now they wont let me work so are u saying i shouldnt get help "

I'm not, and I think you should be able to live a comfortable life, others it seems would like you to live in poverty.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

but a lot of the things you seem to believe are wrong. You make sweeping statements with no evidence to back them up and start thread after thread about benefit claimants. We live in a country where there are approximately 23 unemployed people for every job....they aren't all layabouts with a crack habit who steal their children's child benefit and spend it on white lightning.

i love you "

I love you too in a sort of womanly yet straight way

Reply privately

over a year ago

oh touchy.....

can you feel the love...... "

oh yes, i've pulled, now get yer coat on.

oooh err am i thinking straight?

get yer kit off

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

On the other hand, had there not been such a lucrative benefit system would there be 23 applicants for every vacancy? I very much doubt it. "

the workshy will always be with us but they aren't the majority

Reply privately

over a year ago

Worms in cans...

Actually, as a scrounger on society I can safely say I cannot afford to drink or smoke, and just this last week I have proven I am in so much financial poo now I am facing the threat of eviction.

The money I (very gratefully) receive just about pays rent, council tax, bills, and food (although last weeks food money paid the rent) .... That is pretty much it.

I make do, second hand, charity shops, good friends with allotments. As a family we haven't holiday'd since before I got ill 3 years ago. In fact as a family we rarely go anywhere.

Not everyone on benefits lives the high life, what I am going through right now is a real struggle, and if it wasn't for the fact I have children I'd be one of those statics on the suicide list.

I wouldn't choose this as a lifestyle choice ever and am desperate now to work again to support my family.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

so do you think that everyone on benefits is living a life of luxury at our expense? did I say everyone?? I'm talking about people who say they can't afford bedroom tax, yet pay extra for luxuries.

I'm not talking bout anything else, why do lots on here jump on other things or try to put words in other people's mouths.

because you asked for debate and no ones putting words in your mouth."

Yes a debate on my question, if you want to debate from that then it's very pointless to the post.

But there seems to be lots on here that do this. The question is quite simple really do you agree people claiming benefits who say they can't afford bedroom tax, can still smoke or drink???

Reply privately

over a year ago

Umm so if I'm unemployed and getting a benefit and my vibrator breaks... is that a luxury item or an essential?

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

Yes it's a benefit but that's to help pay for a child's upbringing, so very controversial if there spending it on drink

1-2% if you're lucky?

Why not include cars, should people on benefits run cars?"

Killing off Motability sales could well increase the price of all new cars.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

oh touchy.....

can you feel the love......

oh yes, i've pulled, now get yer coat on.

oooh err am i thinking straight?

get yer kit off "

Reply privately

By *r Mahogany70Man
over a year ago

Leicester

I was unemployed for 18 months when had first child with ex wife nearly 21 years ago and know that if you are relying purely on state handouts without savings or any other income (legal or otherwise) there is no way you can afford to drink, smoke, keep a car on the road or have horse riding lessons!

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I tend not to judge how others live their lives. I might be employed now but that wasn't always the case. I claimed the benefits I was entitled to, and spent them on heating, clothing, food, and various other things. And if the other things included fags and booze to prevent my life being incredibly boring then that's my business.

Jeez, people will be suggesting we tattoo the unemployed next.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Umm so if I'm unemployed and getting a benefit and my vibrator breaks... is that a luxury item or an essential?

"

I said shutting Remploy would turn out to be a bad idea.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

because you asked for debate and no ones putting words in your mouth.

Yes a debate on my question, if you want to debate from that then it's very pointless to the post.

But there seems to be lots on here that do this. The question is quite simple really do you agree people claiming benefits who say they can't afford bedroom tax, can still smoke or drink???"

That isn't the question you originally asked, you can't move the goal posts when the debate isn't going your way

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Some people always need someone they can feel superior to.

Yet the OP can't even spell benefits. "

Wondered how long it would be before the personal remarks started, but we're have I not spelt it right?? Apart from a typo????

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"Umm so if I'm unemployed and getting a benefit and my vibrator breaks... is that a luxury item or an essential?

"

Tampons used to be taxed as luxury goods once. I must admit having to stem the monthly flow wasn't quite as good as supping champagne, but it came close!

Reply privately

over a year ago

So long as the reason for them receiving benefits is genuine, as far as im concerned, they can do as they wish with the money...

If its not a genuine reason...then, that's a different matter.. Though, the whole demonising of those on benefits is rather pathetic to me when considering that benefit fraud ' accounts for just 0.7 per cent of the welfare budget and that proportion is not increasing'..

But I guess everyone's gotta pick on someone to blame for something. It is what it is..

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

1-2% if you're lucky?

Why not include cars, should people on benefits run cars?"

Yes cars aswell, but i cant included ever little thing on my list can i.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".......

Jeez, people will be suggesting we tattoo the unemployed next. "

On the forehead, I believe. A barcode is the best option.

Plus a bell, big and loud, so we can hear them coming and take evasive measures.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"Worms in cans...

Actually, as a scrounger on society I can safely say I cannot afford to drink or smoke, and just this last week I have proven I am in so much financial poo now I am facing the threat of eviction.

The money I (very gratefully) receive just about pays rent, council tax, bills, and food (although last weeks food money paid the rent) .... That is pretty much it.

I make do, second hand, charity shops, good friends with allotments. As a family we haven't holiday'd since before I got ill 3 years ago. In fact as a family we rarely go anywhere.

Not everyone on benefits lives the high life, what I am going through right now is a real struggle, and if it wasn't for the fact I have children I'd be one of those statics on the suicide list.

I wouldn't choose this as a lifestyle choice ever and am desperate now to work again to support my family."

Yet you say your about to be evicted but your a gold supporter on here might be only a few pound but your the one saying your in debt.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I was unemployed for 18 months when had first child with ex wife nearly 21 years ago and know that if you are relying purely on state handouts without savings or any other income (legal or otherwise) there is no way you can afford to drink, smoke, keep a car on the road or have horse riding lessons!"

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

".......

Plus a bell, big and loud, so we can hear them coming and take evasive measures."

And a big letter B attached to every item of clothing. Just so we know who to sneer at down the shops.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was unemployed for 18 months when had first child with ex wife nearly 21 years ago and know that if you are relying purely on state handouts without savings or any other income (legal or otherwise) there is no way you can afford to drink, smoke, keep a car on the road or have horse riding lessons!"

Really?

I can afford it because I sacrifice elsewhere and that includes not going out to the pub and budgeting £30 a fortnight for food.

If I didn't ride I'd probably lose any last little sense of worth I have, end up on drugs or dead!

Everyone needs something they enjoy to escape and to have a life even if they are unfortunate enough to be unemployed.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".......

Wondered how long it would be before the personal remarks started, but we're have I not spelt it right?? Apart from a typo????"

You're doing that on purpose, right?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

1-2% if you're lucky?

Yes cars aswell, but i cant included ever little thing on my list can i. "

I'll help yer.

NHS gastric band ops. - Can't we just put the fat fuckers on a treadmill wired up to their valve radio?

NHS boob jobs - not what nature intended.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

1-2% if you're lucky?

Yes cars aswell, but i cant included ever little thing on my list can i. "

The state pension is a benefit.

So I assume all the pensioners shouldnt run cars then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I tend not to judge how others live their lives. I might be employed now but that wasn't always the case. I claimed the benefits I was entitled to, and spent them on heating, clothing, food, and various other things. And if the other things included fags and booze to prevent my life being incredibly boring then that's my business.

Jeez, people will be suggesting we tattoo the unemployed next. "

I have been on benefits to, but still could not afford to have luxuries. I left the benefits in more debt then I was in before I started.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".......

Plus a bell, big and loud, so we can hear them coming and take evasive measures.

And a big letter B attached to every item of clothing. Just so we know who to sneer at down the shops."

You'd allow them clothes? That's a bit lefty.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hi if ur vib breaks u can have my tungue thats free of charge and payed 4 x

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

".......

And a big letter B attached to every item of clothing. Just so we know who to sneer at down the shops."

Ser people on here can not have a debate with out getting personal. And twisting things. Who said anything about sneering at people???

Reply privately

over a year ago

".......

Wondered how long it would be before the personal remarks started, but we're have I not spelt it right?? Apart from a typo????

You're doing that on purpose, right?"

Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Benefits bashing is getting fucking boring really fucking quickly.

Oh shit, I forgot, I pay tax too! Every time I fill my fridge!! "

Maybe you could save even more money, rather than horse riding, ride a man!

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

".......

And a big letter B attached to every item of clothing. Just so we know who to sneer at down the shops.

You'd allow them clothes? That's a bit lefty."

Radical liberal here. I try to keep it quiet but this site sometimes brings out the snarky side.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I was unemployed for 18 months when had first child with ex wife nearly 21 years ago and know that if you are relying purely on state handouts without savings or any other income (legal or otherwise) there is no way you can afford to drink, smoke, keep a car on the road or have horse riding lessons!

Really?

I can afford it because I sacrifice elsewhere and that includes not going out to the pub and budgeting £30 a fortnight for food.

If I didn't ride I'd probably lose any last little sense of worth I have, end up on drugs or dead!

Everyone needs something they enjoy to escape and to have a life even if they are unfortunate enough to be unemployed. "

Yep! I am amazed although I shouldn't be really, at the callousness and malice directed towards people on benefits. People seem to blindly believe what they're told with no original thought or observation, no allowances for circumstance and no recognition of others humanity....sheesh.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Get with the times, benefits fraud was the last topic, this is regarding people who are entitled to it, for what ever reason, who can't afford bedroom tax yet can drink and smoke ect ect.

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

".......

Ser people on here can not have a debate with out getting personal. And twisting things. Who said anything about sneering at people??? "

Whoever said I was pointing fingers at you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

" I have been on benefits to, but still could not afford to have luxuries. I left the benefits in more debt then I was in before I started."

And you never smoked one fag or had one drink in that time? Didn't leave the house or do anything fun at all?

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I was unemployed for 18 months when had first child with ex wife nearly 21 years ago and know that if you are relying purely on state handouts without savings or any other income (legal or otherwise) there is no way you can afford to drink, smoke, keep a car on the road or have horse riding lessons!

Really?

Everyone needs something they enjoy to escape and to have a life even if they are unfortunate enough to be unemployed. "

I'm not saying you can't have an enjoyment just not while saying you can't afford to pay for your home.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

" I have been on benefits to, but still could not afford to have luxuries. I left the benefits in more debt then I was in before I started.

And you never smoked one fag or had one drink in that time? Didn't leave the house or do anything fun at all?

"

Well i don't smoke, and i can honestly say I never had a drink, was to busy up all night trying to get back into work. And yes I did do things but that's what hot me into debt, so i paid for it, and i certainly never said I could not pay for extra rooms because I was skint.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

".......

Ser people on here can not have a debate with out getting personal. And twisting things. Who said anything about sneering at people???

Whoever said I was pointing fingers at you?"

I didn't say you was pointing finger at me, i was talking about you presuming every one not on benefits sneers at people who are.

Reply privately

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

Its funny how people don't reply to posts they can't answer

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really?

Everyone needs something they enjoy to escape and to have a life even if they are unfortunate enough to be unemployed.

Yep! I am amazed although I shouldn't be really, at the callousness and malice directed towards people on benefits. People seem to blindly believe what they're told with no original thought or observation, no allowances for circumstance and no recognition of others humanity....sheesh. "

Gets right on my tits, everyone is entitled to a life even in the tough times as things can go downhill very quickly.

I house share as that is my entitlement so do they think I should just spend my £70 a week on just food to get fatter or spend some on getting out, socialising, keeping fit and my mind active.

Xx

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

".......

Whoever said I was pointing fingers at you? I didn't say you was pointing finger at me, i was talking about you presuming every one not on benefits sneers at people who are. "

Its called hyperbole. Anyway, how can I presume that everyone not on benefits sneers at everyone who is? I am not on benefits and I don't give a rats crap what they spend their money on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".......

Radical liberal here. I try to keep it quiet but this site sometimes brings out the snarky side."

Some comments make something boil inside me too.. Alas, a rant on a message board won't do much

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

".......

You're doing that on purpose, right?"

no im not, can someone please tell me if my spelling of benefits is wrong??

But as long as you no what I'm talking about.

Reply privately

over a year ago

" I'm not saying you can't have an enjoyment just not while saying you can't afford to pay for your home."

Who said I can't afford to pay for where I'm living?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm pro benefits.

I'm against benefit fraud and tax evasion. But guess which one cost the country more?

Clue: Contrary to popular belief, there's not a lot of money in benefits.

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

".......

Radical liberal here. I try to keep it quiet but this site sometimes brings out the snarky side.

Some comments make something boil inside me too.. Alas, a rant on a message board won't do much "

Well if you ever want to let off some steam.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

" The question is quite simple really do you agree people claiming benefits who say they can't afford bedroom tax, can still smoke or drink???"

The answer should be a simple no, but sometimes smoking or drinking, or even both may be the only thing of pleasure left in a persons life.

I have a question for you, do you think it is right that some of the most vunerable people in this country are being shunned, left destitute, homeless, in debt, all for the sake of saving some money in the Government purse?

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

its gone awfully quiet

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Really?

Yep! I am amazed although I shouldn't be really, at the callousness and malice directed towards people on benefits. People seem to blindly believe what they're told with no original thought or observation, no allowances for circumstance and no recognition of others humanity....sheesh.

Gets right on my tits, everyone is entitled to a life even in the tough times as things can go downhill very quickly.

I house share as that is my entitlement so do they think I should just spend my £70 a week on just food to get fatter or spend some on getting out, socialising, keeping fit and my mind active.

Xx"

no you should spend it on bills, like I'm sure you do and if you have any over, well knock your self out.

But my post was aimed at people who say they can't afford the bedroom tax yet spend money on drink smoking.

Why can't people ever debate what is posted. Not anything else they can think of. If you have got a different points than the one I have made then post it, if it's a different topic then post a new topic.

Reply privately

over a year ago

*clears throat*

The state pension is a benefit. Does anyone suggest the pensioners go without....

Or is it just the "workshy" or the "so called" disabled that should go without cars and beer/wine/choc/ciggies/vibrators

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

" I'm not saying you can't have an enjoyment just not while saying you can't afford to pay for your home.

Who said I can't afford to pay for where I'm living? "

I never said you, see if you post on a topic and deviate from the question that's were you get all confused.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really?

Xx no you should spend it on bills, like I'm sure you do and if you have any over, well knock your self out.

But my post was aimed at people who say they can't afford the bedroom tax yet spend money on drink smoking.

Why can't people ever debate what is posted. Not anything else they can think of. If you have got a different points than the one I have made then post it, if it's a different topic then post a new topic."

Lighten up matey, most threads go off in different directions, often better that they do so.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I'm pro benefits.

I'm against benefit fraud and tax evasion. But guess which one cost the country more?

"

Except for the very few benefit fraudsters who make a LOT of money out of it. They're the ones who make the headlines and set the bar for incorrect assumptions about benefit fraud.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really?

Ironically 20 years ago I was claiming benefits and had three young children to feed. Never drank alcohol nor smoked, perhaps this helped me save up money to take us (on the train) to a week's Haven holiday. What other money I scrimped together got me learning to drive. Being a driver opens up avenues for work so anyone who would suggest not being "allowed" to run a car (although damn expensive) is talking out of their arse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Essential. No question.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"*clears throat*

The state pension is a benefit. Does anyone suggest the pensioners go without....

Or is it just the "workshy" or the "so called" disabled that should go without cars and beer/wine/choc/ciggies/vibrators "

Same with pensioners I gave huge respect for the elderly, but similar point quite a lot say eat of heat, because they can't do both. So that says to me they can't drink if they cannot even afford to eat or keep warm.

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Really?

Xx no you should spend it on bills, like I'm sure you do and if you have any over, well knock your self out.

Why can't people ever debate what is posted. Not anything else they can think of. If you have got a different points than the one I have made then post it, if it's a different topic then post a new topic."

I responded. I said it was none of my business.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A couple who keep horses at local farm, have 4 young children, to the best of my knowledge have never worked ( for past 10 yrs, since becoming neighbours,)

Chatting husband said between them they recieve over £500 a week, in benefits, they both use walking sticks, until their at farm, then muck out, ride, repair fences, chase horses around, and do the 101 other jobs needed to look after their horses,

Both have 4 w/d vehicles with personalised number plates.

I have no idea what health complaints they have to both receive DLA, which pays for their cars, road tax, insurance.

So benefits are essential for some people, and some know how to use the system.

People who know how to fill the claims forms in are charging £100, to do this, and are happy to wait until claims are received before you pay them,

That supplements their benefits. You can even find people advertising on line for this service.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".......

Some comments make something boil inside me too.. Alas, a rant on a message board won't do much

Well if you ever want to let off some steam..... "

I'm intrigued by the possibilities that make up the end of that half-finished sentence... Pray tell, what awaits me, should I have the need or craving to unload some steam??

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Really?

Ironically 20 years ago I was claiming benefits and had three young children to feed. Never drank alcohol nor smoked, perhaps this helped me save up money to take us (on the train) to a week's Haven holiday. What other money I scrimped together got me learning to drive. Being a driver opens up avenues for work so anyone who would suggest not being "allowed" to run a car (although damn expensive) is talking out of their arse."

Of course you shouldn't be e to run a car on benefits, i can bearly afford it and I work.

But I think that the job Centre should give more help to get people into work, like maybe free driving lessons to find work as a driver ect ect.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"A couple who keep horses at local farm, have 4 young children, to the best of my knowledge have never worked ( for past 10 yrs, since becoming neighbours,)

Chatting husband said between them they recieve over £500 a week, in benefits, they both use walking sticks, until their at farm, then muck out, ride, repair fences, chase horses around, and do the 101 other jobs needed to look after their horses,

I have no idea what health complaints they have to both receive DLA, which pays for their cars, road tax, insurance.

People who know how to fill the claims forms in are charging £100, to do this, and are happy to wait until claims are received before you pay them,

That supplements their benefits. You can even find people advertising on line for this service."

DLA isn't means tested. Nor are some other benefits.

It's perfectly possible to win the Lottery and retain some benefits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Labour say they are going to abolish the bedroom tax after the election if they are voted in. The Liberals say it will have to be drastically rethought.

So unless Camoron wins outright next time, I can see the bedroom tax going the way the poll tax did.

Labour are using their conference to announce it formally tomorrow.

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

".......

I'm intrigued by the possibilities that make up the end of that half-finished sentence... Pray tell, what awaits me, should I have the need or craving to unload some steam?? "

Well if you're ever up this way I'll elaborate further, but I am off to bed now. Too much judging going on in one post for my comfort. xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

" The question is quite simple really do you agree people claiming benefits who say they can't afford bedroom tax, can still smoke or drink???

The answer should be a simple no, but sometimes smoking or drinking, or even both may be the only thing of pleasure left in a persons life.

I have a question for you, do you think it is right that some of the most vunerable people in this country are being shunned, left destitute, homeless, in debt, all for the sake of saving some money in the Government purse?

"

and my answer is no, no one us this country should ever be homeless, but that's my point people who get evicted fir not paying rent say they can't afford it, yet smoke and drink.

Reply privately

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I was on benefits for several years and as a single parent, the lovely government made me go and find work or lose my benefits. Didn't exactly struggle but didn't live a life of luxury either although I did manage to keep my car running so the kids could go to their clubs.

It has to be said that you do have to earn a decent wage to be able to pay the full rent and it's not easy to come off benefits.

People on benefits are made to feel like failures in society and are often depressed because their situation is difficult to get out of. To say that they shouldn't enjoy a cigarette or a drink is to further remove things that are acceptable in society. If we say that those on benefits should enjoy no pleasures or treats then we would all be sitting in the house getting deeper and deeper into depression.

Food, electricity and gas are all more expensive but benefits and in some cases wages have not increased in line with these increases. Not everyone on benefits are scroungers, some are genuinely unable to work but still face the same stigma of being on benefits. I have a friend who is on benefits due to being unfit for work but she doesn't want to claim the Living Allowance and Mobility Allowance as she doesn't want to be seen as being 'disabled' at 49.

She used to be a nurse and it's due to the lifting and moving of patients that she now has back and neck problems.

Maybe before asking what benefits should be spent on, people should consider all the reasons for people being on benefit. Not many people are there through choice, rather it's circumstances outwith their control that put them there.

There are jobs out there but in some cases 200 people are applying for one vacancy so it's not easy to get out of the vicious circle.

I'm fortunate I am now in a 12 month contract with a good chance of being made permanent but it's not like that for everyone.

Reply privately

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

The fact is nothing in life is a right. Even if you have payed into the system doesn't give you a right to anything more than a roof and food. Why should it. People need to remember that the world owes you nothing. If you want more then go and get it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Labour say they are going to abolish the bedroom tax after the election if they are voted in. The Liberals say it will have to be drastically rethought.

So unless Camoron wins outright next time, I can see the bedroom tax going the way the poll tax did.

Labour are using their conference to announce it formally tomorrow.

"

I have a feeling that labour hasn't done enough to push the coalition out...so the conference is just an annual formality

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

".......

I'm intrigued by the possibilities that make up the end of that half-finished sentence... Pray tell, what awaits me, should I have the need or craving to unload some steam??

Well if you're ever up this way I'll elaborate further, but I am off to bed now. Too much judging going on in one post for my comfort. xx"

Can I ask who is judging, it's you you who is doing the judging by presuming anyone who thinks benefits should be changed, has to look down on people on benefits. I never have and never will

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really?

Ironically 20 years ago I was claiming benefits and had three young children to feed. Never drank alcohol nor smoked, perhaps this helped me save up money to take us (on the train) to a week's Haven holiday. What other money I scrimped together got me learning to drive. Being a driver opens up avenues for work so anyone who would suggest not being "allowed" to run a car (although damn expensive) is talking out of their arse.

Of course you shouldn't be e to run a car on benefits, i can bearly afford it and I work.

But I think that the job Centre should give more help to get people into work, like maybe free driving lessons to find work as a driver ect ect."

Good Lord then you are talking out of your arse lol. If you have a car then you can look further afield for jobs, which is essential if you live in a high unemployment area.

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

".......

You're doing that on purpose, right? no im not, can someone please tell me if my spelling of benefits is wrong??

But as long as you no what I'm talking about. "

WHERE do you think you are going wrong?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A couple who keep horses at local farm, have 4 young children, to the best of my knowledge have never worked ( for past 10 yrs, since becoming neighbours,)

That supplements their benefits. You can even find people advertising on line for this service.

It's perfectly possible to win the Lottery and retain some benefits."

Well there you go, there is no way people on benefits should be allowed to even think about wasting it on lottery tickets. Off to the Tower with them.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The fact is nothing in life is a right. Even if you have payed into the system doesn't give you a right to anything more than a roof and food. Why should it. People need to remember that the world owes you nothing. If you want more then go and get it"

That last sentence usually ends ..... and if you can't get it legally, steal it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's perfectly possible to win the Lottery and retain some benefits."

DLA is medically tested. apparently.

housing benefit.

council tax.

I believe are means tested,

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I was on benefits for several years and as a single parent, the lovely government made me go and find work or lose my benefits. Didn't exactly struggle but didn't live a life of luxury either although I did manage to keep my car running so the kids could go to their clubs.

It has to be said that you do have to earn a decent wage to be able to pay the full rent and it's not easy to come off benefits.

People on benefits are made to feel like failures in society and are often depressed because their situation is difficult to get out of. To say that they shouldn't enjoy a cigarette or a drink is to further remove things that are acceptable in society. If we say that those on benefits should enjoy no pleasures or treats then we would all be sitting in the house getting deeper and deeper into depression.

Food, electricity and gas are all more expensive but benefits and in some cases wages have not increased in line with these increases. Not everyone on benefits are scroungers, some are genuinely unable to work but still face the same stigma of being on benefits. I have a friend who is on benefits due to being unfit for work but she doesn't want to claim the Living Allowance and Mobility Allowance as she doesn't want to be seen as being 'disabled' at 49.

She used to be a nurse and it's due to the lifting and moving of patients that she now has back and neck problems.

Maybe before asking what benefits should be spent on, people should consider all the reasons for people being on benefit. Not many people are there through choice, rather it's circumstances outwith their control that put them there.

There are jobs out there but in some cases 200 people are applying for one vacancy so it's not easy to get out of the vicious circle.

I'm fortunate I am now in a 12 month contract with a good chance of being made permanent but it's not like that for everyone.

"

And who is talking about scones on this thread??? We're not debating why people can't work ect ect.

We're talking about why people say they can't afford the bedroom tax, and they drink and smoke ect.

How many times do I have to repeat this point

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".......

You're doing that on purpose, right? no im not, can someone please tell me if my spelling of benefits is wrong??

"

Know we're.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Read your original post.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

".......

"

U don't now, i have problems with my spelling, and i find it wrong for people to try and be little me for that, but when asked they don't even say what there getting at. Someone said above I spelt benefits wrong, as far as I no om right, but now one has come forward to say I'm wrong. And everyone else has spelt them same way.

Reply privately

By * pool 1Couple
over a year ago

Liverpool

" The question is quite simple really do you agree people claiming benefits who say they can't afford bedroom tax, can still smoke or drink???

and my answer is no, no one us this country should ever be homeless, but that's my point people who get evicted fir not paying rent say they can't afford it, yet smoke and drink."

And how do you know that the people who are being made homeless all drink and smoke.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" .....

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits. "

There's a lot of jealousy on this, and other, threads.

It's usually a variation on 'my life is shite, theirs should be worse'.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"Read your original post."

I see now so thank you, but that's in me view a typo. But thanks for pointing it out.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Yet you say your about to be evicted but your a gold supporter on here might be only a few pound but your the one saying your in debt."

Indeed I am and considering I have spent a whole £5 on myself this month I should be ashamed of my frivolity. Should I also chastise myself for spending double that on incontinence supplies?

I'm in debt because I am struggling to make ends meet since the changes the Government brought into place regarding Housing and Council tax benefits. The surprising twist is I accept, understand, and welcome these changes. What I have disclosed in this 'debate' is a small snapshot of a far more complex situation that I am not willing to share here.

I am resiliant, and resourceful, I will re-jig my spending and I will do all I can to survive this rather trying time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

and my answer is no, no one us this country should ever be homeless, but that's my point people who get evicted fir not paying rent say they can't afford it, yet smoke and drink.

And how do you know that the people who are being made homeless all drink and smoke."

See jumping to conclusions again, I did not all people who are being name homeless drink or smoke did i?????

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm pro benefits.

Except for the very few benefit fraudsters who make a LOT of money out of it. They're the ones who make the headlines and set the bar for incorrect assumptions about benefit fraud."

Except for the very few. Tax evasion is more common and more widespread.

Sometimes I feel we're getting riled up at the wrong people but hey ho.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

Yet you say your about to be evicted but your a gold supporter on here might be only a few pound but your the one saying your in debt.

Indeed I am and considering I have spent a whole £5 on myself this month I should be ashamed of my frivolity. Should I also chastise myself for spending double that on incontinence supplies?

I'm in debt because I am struggling to make ends meet since the changes the Government brought into place regarding Housing and Council tax benefits. The surprising twist is I accept, understand, and welcome these changes. What I have disclosed in this 'debate' is a small snapshot of a far more complex situation that I am not willing to share here.

I am resiliant, and resourceful, I will re-jig my spending and I will do all I can to survive this rather trying time."

And I agree people face hard times, but however to try to be smart about it, your paying £5 a month for a site support you don't gave to, but on the other hand say your badly in debt, and can't afford your rent. That £5 could go towards your bedroom tax, could it not????

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was on benefits for several years and as a single parent, the lovely government made me go and find work or lose my benefits. Didn't exactly struggle but didn't live a life of luxury either although I did manage to keep my car running so the kids could go to their clubs.

And who is talking about scones on this thread??? We're not debating why people can't work ect ect.

We're talking about why people say they can't afford the bedroom tax, and they drink and smoke ect.

How many times do I have to repeat this point "

No point getting shirty. This poster has responded, just not in the manner you want. She is stating why claimants spend the way they do, just because she does not refer to the loss of housing benefit via the spare bedroom doesn't make her post irrelevant.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm pro benefits.

Except for the very few benefit fraudsters who make a LOT of money out of it. They're the ones who make the headlines and set the bar for incorrect assumptions about benefit fraud.

"

Why the WRONG people? Are not both benefit cheats and tax evaders both committing fraud?

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I'm pro benefits.

"

They're easier targets. More visible what with the forehead barcode, bell and B on their rags.

Less welcome in solicitor's office too, even if they could afford it - almost no Legal Aid nowadays.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

" .....

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits.

It's usually a variation on 'my life is shite, theirs should be worse'."

is that's how you think life is, because I admire people who do more to change there life's.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's perfectly possible to win the Lottery and retain some benefits.

DLA is medically tested. apparently.

housing benefit.

council tax.

I believe are means tested,"

DLA & Attendance allowance are the only benefits not means tested. DLA comes in different levels though

Reply privately

over a year ago

How many times do I have to repeat this point "

Its not for you to dictate what people can or can't post on a thread. Everyone has a right to their viewpoint what ever it is its.

Reply privately

By *rummagemMan
over a year ago

Bedworth/Nuneaton

Some people are getting worked up about those who are unemployed, claiming money and costing the country money. Maybe these official figures from government sources will put it in perspective.

Government Expenditure 2013: £506Bn

Unemployment Benefit: £5.9Bn

Family & Children Benefits: £18.8Bn

Old Age Pension & Benefits: £100.8Bn

Source: www.ukpublicspending.co.uk

So unemployment benefits only account for 1% and family & child benefits account for 3% of total expenditure. The elephant in the room are old age pensions and benefits which account for 20% of the total expenditure, yet nobody, especially the government wants to talk about or touch this area...

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Really?

But I think that the job Centre should give more help to get people into work, like maybe free driving lessons to find work as a driver ect ect.

Good Lord then you are talking out of your arse lol. If you have a car then you can look further afield for jobs, which is essential if you live in a high unemployment area.

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits. "

someone on benefits should not be able to run a car, nothing to do with jealousy at all. As so many keep saying they get £7o a week and it's bearly enough to live, and your digesting you can run a car. Think it's you as you say talking out your arse.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm pro benefits.

They're easier targets. More visible what with the forehead barcode, bell and B on their rags.

Less welcome in solicitor's office too, even if they could afford it - almost no Legal Aid nowadays."

Isn't the annual legal aid bill somewhat over £2bn? Hardly pocket money.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some people are getting worked up about those who are unemployed, claiming money and costing the country money. Maybe these official figures from government sources will put it in perspective.

So unemployment benefits only account for 1% and family & child benefits account for 3% of total expenditure. The elephant in the room are old age pensions and benefits which account for 20% of the total expenditure, yet nobody, especially the government wants to talk about or touch this area..."

But you can see the age of retirement rising, huh?

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Its not for you to dictate what people can or can't post on a thread. Everyone has a right to their viewpoint what ever it is its."

and u said anyone as the right to post there view, but they keep muss quoting my post. Do I also have a right to put them right.

Reply privately

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" .....

It's usually a variation on 'my life is shite, theirs should be worse'. is that's how you think life is, because I admire people who do more to change there life's."

I think it's time I got the Maid to turn down my bed. I know I shouldn't indulge myself so but it's just one of life's little pleasures I deserve - all on a pension too

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Some people are getting worked up about those who are unemployed, claiming money and costing the country money. Maybe these official figures from government sources will put it in perspective.

So unemployment benefits only account for 1% and family & child benefits account for 3% of total expenditure. The elephant in the room are old age pensions and benefits which account for 20% of the total expenditure, yet nobody, especially the government wants to talk about or touch this area..."

I was just about to post something similar. Those feckless skiving pensioners with their alcohol and smoking. Put them on bread and water.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

" .....

It's usually a variation on 'my life is shite, theirs should be worse'. is that's how you think life is, because I admire people who do more to change there life's.

I think it's time I got the Maid to turn down my bed. I know I shouldn't indulge myself so but it's just one of life's little pleasures I deserve - all on a pension too "

Yes like on most posts you like to put points but never come back to them when questioned back. Another one of these people on here who want to pick argument points for the sake of it. So you enjoy you nice bed comfortable with your sarcasm.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Odd. I've just clicked on the link you provide and it shows Total Spending of £712.9 bn, consistent with an annual tax take of £600bn and public borrowing of £120bn.

Aside from Pensions at £144bn there is also "welfare" at £110bn. A little more than a few %.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

So unemployment benefits only account for 1% and family & child benefits account for 3% of total expenditure. The elephant in the room are old age pensions and benefits which account for 20% of the total expenditure, yet nobody, especially the government wants to talk about or touch this area...

I was just about to post something similar. Those feckless skiving pensioners with their alcohol and smoking. Put them on bread and water."

Hey just water would do let them scrounge for bread

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really?

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits. someone on benefits should not be able to run a car, nothing to do with jealousy at all. As so many keep saying they get £7o a week and it's bearly enough to live, and your digesting you can run a car. Think it's you as you say talking out your arse."

I'm not the one making assumptions or getting people angry with my opinions. I managed to run a car on benefits (yes after I learned to drive and bought a battered ford fiesta). I would also bet that there is at least one person on this site who is presently running a car whilst claiming benefits. If I'm wrong, I'm fine with that... and I'll fart an apology

Reply privately

By *rivate auditionsMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

"Moving on from you debate regarding benefits the other day, i have a further question I would like to debate, so please post your opinions below.

Now dont get me wrong im not saying make the eat bread and water and nothing more. They have just as much right as anyone else, my point is more to do with morals. The government give us money to help us live and it's worked out to provide for the basics. And yes if there is any over then than should not be much, not enough to buy fags and booze.

Now so many people are saying they can't afford the bedroom tax, but they smoke why not give it up and pay your way???

As a worker if i want to smoke or drink, i have to make enough money to buy it, if one month the bills are to high then my family come first.

So what do you all think, and please don't shoot me down, not having a go at people, this is just my opinion "

we are still paying for labour party in governmemt with the " spend,spend,spend" mentality i am afraid!,did they not leave messages in houses of parliament desks about money all being spent?.

ed balls is still making a living as a comedian trying to justify the overspend.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Odd. I've just clicked on the link you provide and it shows Total Spending of £712.9 bn, consistent with an annual tax take of £600bn and public borrowing of £120bn.

Aside from Pensions at £144bn there is also "welfare" at £110bn. A little more than a few %."

people will quote whatever suits there argument, and in my experience on here most never cone back to explain when they are questioned back. In my view if i have been decent enough to answer your question, would only be polite to offer the same in return.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's spelt benefits and it's luxuries not luxury things

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its not for you to dictate what people can or can't post on a thread. Everyone has a right to their viewpoint what ever it is its. and u said anyone as the right to post there view, but they keep muss quoting my post. Do I also have a right to put them right. "

It depends I could start putting you right with its "you" rather than u and Miss quoting rather than muss but I would then be becoming pedantic like you are. Saying "How many times do I have to repeat this point" is not really putting them right as you put it or anyway near and its not putting people right as they will see tier point of view as right as well as you do.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm pro benefits.

Why the WRONG people? Are not both benefit cheats and tax evaders both committing fraud?"

I'm talking about the lesser of evils. Of course they're both wrong. But for me, tax evasion is worst because they're usually the people condemning those on benefits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they are assuming that everyone on a benefit is lazy and doesn't want work

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Really?

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits. someone on benefits should not be able to run a car, nothing to do with jealousy at all. As so many keep saying they get £7o a week and it's bearly enough to live, and your digesting you can run a car. Think it's you as you say talking out your arse.

I'm not the one making assumptions or getting people angry with my opinions. I managed to run a car on benefits (yes after I learned to drive and bought a battered ford fiesta). I would also bet that there is at least one person on this site who is presently running a car whilst claiming benefits. If I'm wrong, I'm fine with that... and I'll fart an apology "

See your assuming again, yes some people are going to be upset by my post but that not for you to presume, do you ever wonder if mist us because truth hurts.

And im not jealous of you fir running a car on £70 a week benefits, i admire you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they are assuming that everyone on a benefit is lazy and doesn't want work "

Typical assuming again.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

They're not there

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Its not for you to dictate what people can or can't post on a thread. Everyone has a right to their viewpoint what ever it is its. and u said anyone as the right to post there view, but they keep muss quoting my post. Do I also have a right to put them right.

It depends I could start putting you right with its "you" rather than u and Miss quoting rather than muss but I would then be becoming pedantic like you are. Saying "How many times do I have to repeat this point" is not really putting them right as you put it or anyway near and its not putting people right as they will see tier point of view as right as well as you do. "

Can't keep from the personal remarks can you, never mind. Let's hope I don't think like some and say. Your just below me do very to bring me down

Reply privately

By *rummagemMan
over a year ago

Bedworth/Nuneaton

Aside from Pensions at £144bn there is also "welfare" at £110bn. A little more than a few %."

£712.9 Bn is combined Government and Local Gvt spending. Gvt expenditure is £506 Bn

The figures I gave were specifically for unemployment benefit and family & child benefits as discussed on this thread? I never said it was the total welfare bill? Apologies for late reply but am doing this on my smartphone, so is fiddly!

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

They're not there"

Sorry but don't even get your point question here.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they are assuming that everyone on a benefit is lazy and doesn't want work

Typical assuming again."

I won't make an assumption here I will just remind you that your original post ends that you are not shooting anyone down just expressing your opinion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Really?

I think that smacks of jealousy if someone is managing their money better than you and can run a car whilst on benefits. someone on benefits should not be able to run a car, nothing to do with jealousy at all. As so many keep saying they get £7o a week and it's bearly enough to live, and your digesting you can run a car. Think it's you as you say talking out your arse.

I'm not the one making assumptions or getting people angry with my opinions. I managed to run a car on benefits (yes after I learned to drive and bought a battered ford fiesta). I would also bet that there is at least one person on this site who is presently running a car whilst claiming benefits. If I'm wrong, I'm fine with that... and I'll fart an apology

See your assuming again, yes some people are going to be upset by my post but that not for you to presume, do you ever wonder if mist us because truth hurts.

And im not jealous of you fir running a car on £70 a week benefits, i admire you."

Oh my dear one lmao...

I can quite clearly see with the two eyes in my head that you are upsetting people, for I have the ability to read and have good cognition.

Thanks for assuming I am on benefits but if you bothered to read my post you will see I was making a statement in the PAST tense.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Aside from Pensions at £144bn there is also "welfare" at £110bn. A little more than a few %.

£712.9 Bn is combined Government and Local Gvt spending. Gvt expenditure is £506 Bn

The figures I gave were specifically for unemployment benefit and family & child benefits as discussed on this thread? I never said it was the total welfare bill? Apologies for late reply but am doing this on my smartphone, so is fiddly!"

The "welfare" figures also include the in-work benefits being paid. A growing bill.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"do you ever wonder if mist us because truth hurts.

"

Like your "scones" in a post above... what are you on about?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"And I agree people face hard times, but however to try to be smart about it, your paying £5 a month for a site support you don't gave to, but on the other hand say your badly in debt, and can't afford your rent. That £5 could go towards your bedroom tax, could it not????"

Jesus, who pissed on your cornflakes? Are you seriously having a dig at me for spending a little money on myself? That damned £5 equates to my saving a pound a week for the last 5 weeks. I don't drink, don't smoke, and don't take drugs, yet I am still doing wrong.

Oh well, more fool me for being honest, next time I'll keep my scrounging mouth shut.

Oh, and I don't have to pay bedroom tax .... Would hate leave you uninformed after your suposition of my situation.

Reply privately

By *rummagemMan
over a year ago

Bedworth/Nuneaton

Aside from Pensions at £144bn there is also "welfare" at £110bn. A little more than a few %. people will quote whatever suits there argument, and in my experience on here most never cone back to explain when they are questioned back. In my view if i have been decent enough to answer your question, would only be polite to offer the same in return."

People aren't always in a position to reply immediately or as quickly as they'd like.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its not for you to dictate what people can or can't post on a thread. Everyone has a right to their viewpoint what ever it is its. and u said anyone as the right to post there view, but they keep muss quoting my post. Do I also have a right to put them right.

It depends I could start putting you right with its "you" rather than u and Miss quoting rather than muss but I would then be becoming pedantic like you are. Saying "How many times do I have to repeat this point" is not really putting them right as you put it or anyway near and its not putting people right as they will see tier point of view as right as well as you do. Can't keep from the personal remarks can you, never mind. Let's hope I don't think like some and say. Your just below me do very to bring me down "

They are not personal remarks I was giving you an example of what you claimed you had the right to do and that's put people right as you see it. You seem to feel its quite acceptable to pull people up and berate them yourself but when I give you an example of what you feel you have the right to do to others you see it as a personal attack which it wasn't it was an example. Now you might just see how other people see your comments if you feel that way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Moving on from you debate regarding benefits the other day, i have a further question I would like to debate, so please post your opinions below.

So what do you all think, and please don't shoot me down, not having a go at people, this is just my opinion "

If you manage to budget so that your bills are paid etc, then what you do with any money left should be up to you, nobody else.

Many many more people that don't smoke or probably even drink that much if anything are also stating that they can't afford the 'bedroom tax' what about them? A hell of a lot of the people that can't afford the 'bedroom tax' also can't move as there are hardly any smaller properties available in social housing, catch 22!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Like your "scones" in a post above... what are you on about?"

Oh and I can guess it's a predictive word error, but I do suggest you proof read your posts (and this has nothing to do with your dyslexia).

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Really?

And im not jealous of you fir running a car on £70 a week benefits, i admire you.

Oh my dear one lmao...

I can quite clearly see with the two eyes in my head that you are upsetting people, for I have the ability to read and have good cognition.

Thanks for assuming I am on benefits but if you bothered to read my post you will see I was making a statement in the PAST tense."

See I did not presume you was on benefits, i could clearly see you at tense, and if I come across any other way than that in my reply then I can only apologise. But I still admire you for running any sort of a car on £70 a week, don't think it's possible to run a bike on that. Message me privately with done tips please.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The figures I gave were specifically for unemployment benefit and family & child benefits as discussed on this thread? I never said it was the total welfare bill? Apologies for late reply but am doing this on my smartphone, so is fiddly!"

No problems at all mate, i only had a quick look. I'd wholly guessing but i would think a large part of the £110bn is housing benefit, much of which IS controversial when paid to those who have no intention of finding work, or indeed those who do work whilst receiving benefit.

In the wider debate, i don't think it is Unemployment Benefit or Child Benefit themselves which people resent.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Oh and I can guess it's a predictive word error, but I do suggest you proof read your posts (and this has nothing to do with your dyslexia)."

I do proof read them but ask most who suffer this, they can never see a mistake now matter how hard they look, but guarantee the second the hit send they realise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh and I can guess it's a predictive word error, but I do suggest you proof read your posts (and this has nothing to do with your dyslexia). I do proof read them but ask most who suffer this, they can never see a mistake now matter how hard they look, but guarantee the second the hit send they realise."

Its a sod, I cant find my mars bar, I know I have one somewhere

Reply privately

over a year ago

So what do you all think, and please don't shoot me down, not having a go at people, this is just my opinion

If you manage to budget so that your bills are paid etc, then what you do with any money left should be up to you, nobody else.

Many many more people that don't smoke or probably even drink that much if anything are also stating that they can't afford the 'bedroom tax' what about them? A hell of a lot of the people that can't afford the 'bedroom tax' also can't move as there are hardly any smaller properties available in social housing, catch 22!

"

Apparently it is around £650 a year which is no small figure. I don't disagree with the bedroom tax however if no smaller property is made available I think its ethically wrong to make people pay it. However if someone in a 2 bed is offered a 1 bed property and refuses it then they should pay. If they cannot be offered a property within a unreasonable distance from their current location then its unreasonable to expect them to pay.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"See I did not presume you was on benefits, i could clearly see you at tense, and if I come across any other way than that in my reply then I can only apologise. But I still admire you for running any sort of a car on £70 a week, don't think it's possible to run a bike on that. Message me privately with done tips please."

I cannot give you tips as I do not run a car on £70 a week

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Apparently it is around £650 a year which is no small figure. I don't disagree with the bedroom tax however if no smaller property is made available I think its ethically wrong to make people pay it. However if someone in a 2 bed is offered a 1 bed property and refuses it then they should pay. If they cannot be offered a property within a unreasonable distance from their current location then its unreasonable to expect them to pay. "

I reckon the Queen should get a cut in what the govt pays her... look at the amount of bedrooms she has, not used

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Apparently it is around £650 a year which is no small figure. I don't disagree with the bedroom tax however if no smaller property is made available I think its ethically wrong to make people pay it. However if someone in a 2 bed is offered a 1 bed property and refuses it then they should pay. If they cannot be offered a property within a unreasonable distance from their current location then its unreasonable to expect them to pay. "

if you look on my other thread I said this i think the government should help you to move, so then you have no excuse, move and don't pay it or stay pay up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"See I did not presume you was on benefits, i could clearly see you at tense, and if I come across any other way than that in my reply then I can only apologise. But I still admire you for running any sort of a car on £70 a week, don't think it's possible to run a bike on that. Message me privately with done tips please.

I cannot give you tips as I do not run a car on £70 a week "

But maybe tips from when you did, you seem like a woman who can budget. Ever thought about applying to become chancellor, you would get my vote.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good thread though, looks like it's going the distance.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Right guys im off, duty calls.

As always feel free to comment further and u will pick up tomorrow and don't worry about filling the thread there is always page 2

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh and I can guess it's a predictive word error, but I do suggest you proof read your posts (and this has nothing to do with your dyslexia). I do proof read them but ask most who suffer this, they can never see a mistake now matter how hard they look, but guarantee the second the hit send they realise."

That's not altogether true as with many dyslexics you see part of a word be it the beginning, the end or bits of it and words can be typed in the wrong order however dyslexics have no issues with grammar, context or articulation as they type as they speak and verbal communication is not affected by dyslexia. Far too many people wave the dyslexia flag here and on other sites the real dyslexics often see it as a stigma and do not like to draw attention to it and go to great pains to use aids like firefox's spell check and other aids to mask their dyslexia.

Reply privately

By *rummagemMan
over a year ago

Bedworth/Nuneaton

But you can see the age of retirement rising, huh? "

Yes definitely but I'm fine with that, I'll work as long as I'm healthy. Then again I'm fortunate as I'm a Civil Servant paying into an occupational pension.

Having said that 8 years ago, I was unemployed claiming DLA & Long Term Incap after being advised by a DSS Doctor I'd never work again. Just as well I ignored them!

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

Good thread though, looks like it's going the distance. "

Hate me or love me i do know how to fill threads up, makes me laugh really as if I'm so stupid and talk crap like some say, then why not ignor my posts and i will just look like a fool???

Reply privately

over a year ago

Apparently it is around £650 a year which is no small figure. I don't disagree with the bedroom tax however if no smaller property is made available I think its ethically wrong to make people pay it. However if someone in a 2 bed is offered a 1 bed property and refuses it then they should pay. If they cannot be offered a property within a unreasonable distance from their current location then its unreasonable to expect them to pay. if you look on my other thread I said this i think the government should help you to move, so then you have no excuse, move and don't pay it or stay pay up."

I don't really want to look at your other thread so why should I have to? I was expressing my opinion on what someone else said.

Reply privately

By *rivate auditionsMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Oh and I can guess it's a predictive word error, but I do suggest you proof read your posts (and this has nothing to do with your dyslexia). I do proof read them but ask most who suffer this, they can never see a mistake now matter how hard they look, but guarantee the second the hit send they realise.

That's not altogether true as with many dyslexics you see part of a word be it the beginning, the end or bits of it and words can be typed in the wrong order however dyslexics have no issues with grammar, context or articulation as they type as they speak and verbal communication is not affected by dyslexia. Far too many people wave the dyslexia flag here and on other sites the real dyslexics often see it as a stigma and do not like to draw attention to it and go to great pains to use aids like firefox's spell check and other aids to mask their dyslexia. "

But like many including me say, how can we spell check if we don't know the word???

Lots of words are spelt but not as they sound.

But I deal with it in my own way, but thanks for your concern, right night all im off this time.

Reply privately