Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Retailers?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I think I can safely say that a very high percentage of people who work for them get sick or really hate the rules that the place sets. Rules which means comman sense goes out the window. Anybody know anyone who sets these rules/works in head office? Also if you agree with the start of this post. Give us an example where it happened in your place. What was the "rule/situation", what happened, etc.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't work in retail but know someone who used to, what rules/situations are you thinking of in particular?

over a year ago

"I don't work in retail but know someone who used to, what rules/situations are you thinking of in particular?"

I am not sure if you have children. But here's an example if you have. Say your daughters friend looks 21 and is 21 and she came to your checkout with alcohol and you just served her. You can get disciplined for that, even though she's legally the right age as you didn't follow company policy which is they have to look 25 before you serve them. No matter who they are. That's the rule. Whether you know them is irrelevant.

Secondly they keep claiming they trust you. Then they search you during/after work and you aren't allowed to serve family in all retailers and some even say you can't serve friends.

There are many rules like this. Plus rules of doing the jobs keep changing and yet they still want the result of the job to be the same .

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I don't work in retail but know someone who used to, what rules/situations are you thinking of in particular?

I am not sure if you have children. But here's an example if you have. Say your daughters friend looks 21 and is 21 and she came to your checkout with alcohol and you just served her. You can get disciplined for that, even though she's legally the right age as you didn't follow company policy which is they have to look 25 before you serve them. No matter who they are. That's the rule. Whether you know them is irrelevant.

Secondly they keep claiming they trust you. Then they search you during/after work and you aren't allowed to serve family in all retailers and some even say you can't serve friends.

There are many rules like this. Plus rules of doing the jobs keep changing and yet they still want the result of the job to be the same . "

Would you rather have anarchy? Lot of fun that would be eh?

over a year ago

"I don't work in retail but know someone who used to, what rules/situations are you thinking of in particular?

There are many rules like this. Plus rules of doing the jobs keep changing and yet they still want the result of the job to be the same .

Would you rather have anarchy? Lot of fun that would be eh?"

I just mean if someone has been soon something for years and its proven to be successful. Why change it? Its like someone coming into your place of work and telling you that everything you're doing is wrong. Despite you not having any compliments and even had compliments from it in the past and doing their method was just making things last a lot normal than usual. I would understand if the company was growing, etc. But when the situation hasn't changed at all. It all seems a bit strange.

over a year ago

By the nature of retail, money is involved, where money is involved, their needs to be checks, and security,

As for the need to look 25 when buying alcohol, it is just to safe guard the retailer, and ultimately the cashier or sales clerk, The law would impose heavy fines, if you did sell to someone under the legal age, and get found out.

The rules are to safeguard the business and the employee.

One rule that is important, Never get between a criminal and the till.

over a year ago

"By the nature of retail, money is involved, where money is involved, their needs to be checks, and security,

As for the need to look 25 when buying alcohol, it is just to safe guard the retailer, and ultimately the cashier or sales clerk, The law would impose heavy fines, if you did sell to someone under the legal age, and get found out.

The rules are to safeguard the business and the employee.

One rule that is important, Never get between a criminal and the till."

So if you served someone you have known for years who is 21. Would you accept the rule is always correct and should always be applied. Even in this situation? I agree its a good thing to have, but common sense has to come into play as well.

over a year ago

when you accept a job, you have to work to the rules, it avoids any misunderstanding, so yes.

if I didn't think the rule was valid, I would ask about changing it, but life is too short for worrying about something that is so unimportant in the scheme of things

over a year ago

I'm less worried about the rules/regs in retail than i am about the total lack of training in retail. Also the way it's deemed a second class job by much of society. I've spent my life in sales and i'm bloody good at it. Yet i still feel a sense of disappointment when i tell others what i do (from them, not me).

Sorry to hi jack the thread, but i did mention the original topic in the first sentence.

over a year ago

Until something is sold, there is no need for most other businesses or jobs, retail is the front line of commerce, and a good sales person, is worth their weight in gold,

And should be rewarded accordingly.

over a year ago

"when you accept a job, you have to work to the rules, it avoids any misunderstanding, so yes.

if I didn't think the rule was valid, I would ask about changing it, but life is too short for worrying about something that is so unimportant in the scheme of things"

Ok. I'll give you another example. Say you were very good at selling a particular item and made £100 in sales on your shift and you did that day in, day out for many years. Then one day someone who hasn't been in the job long comes up to you and says you have to sell it this way and you try and only get £10 in sales on your shift and you keep getting shit because you're "not" trying and when you do your method then. You get told off by the main boss (who has only been there 2 minutes) for not doing it his way as your way is inappropriate and causing problems. Even though customers praise you for helping them, etc. Also when you do hit your target as your department is short on staff now. It means you have to hit a higher, unrealistic target. So what does one do/say when in that situation. Apart from the obvious?

over a year ago

Forcing staff to work Sundays and bank holidays - that's a real shitty retail rule. If people can't do their shopping Mon-Sat - tough shit! Let people have a family life and enjoy some time together.

By *irtycpl7980Couple
over a year ago

Northumberland

"Forcing staff to work Sundays and bank holidays - that's a real shitty retail rule. If people can't do their shopping Mon-Sat - tough shit! Let people have a family life and enjoy some time together. "

Having worked in various sectors of retail for many years I have to say I agree with you on the Sundays thing .... however, the problem here is not the retailer but the public. Even when you have opening hours you have people squeezing through the doors just before you close which just pushes opening hours for those that 'need' to get in.

OP, In terms of the rules?! Don't really get what you are complaining about. If your point is purely this 1 example I would say why did the person not have ID so that they weren't going to put the person they know in a compromising position?? This is not a new rule and has nothing to do with retailers but again is a legal requirement. Therefore given that a business can loose its license for selling these goods what would you do as the manager of said business?? There are many rules in life we may not agree with (IE paying tax especially when there are those out there who will happily sit on the dole sponging and then the rich get given tax breaks!) but we have to except them and take a whole 10 seconds to ask a simple question.

over a year ago

"Forcing staff to work Sundays and bank holidays - that's a real shitty retail rule. If people can't do their shopping Mon-Sat - tough shit! Let people have a family life and enjoy some time together. "

I am hypocritical of that rule as I believe people should have time off to do whatever they want. However sometimes people are free and may want to work and gain extra cash. Not only that, but it can be frustrating when you finish work and then think at the last minute you need something and then that's when people think shops should be open longer. That said I believe they should ask the staff if they want to work that Sunday and once they say yes. Its final unless for emergencies and then obviously the shop will be really short. So get the seasonals back in.

What really frustrates me though is saying you got to work a certain day and a certain time of the week and you can't have consecutive days off for events. For example it could be your birthday on Saturday 13th September, yours Saturday 20th, and a leaving do on the 27th. Even if those days are free in the holiday book. Personally I can't see why they don't go by the rule "first come, first served" and if the day is free what's the problem

over a year ago

we live in a global village, a global economy and in the service industry, which includes retail, you have to work when the customers want to spend, ie their leisure time, evenings, weekends and bank holidays,

I have always worked in and had flower shops and we open 365 days a year,

People are born every day, have birthdays every day, die every day, marry every day, 50% of our flowers are taken to cemeteries on a sunday, so people want to buy them on a sunday.

The busiest day of the year for florists is Mothers day, which always falls on a sunday, Aprox 30% of our annual flower sales happen in 3 days.

Anyone who applies for a job with us, is made aware we are a 365 day a year business, and no day is any different from another.

If members of our team have children, we always try and make allowances for holidays, school holidays, Christmas, and work flexi hours, as we are open 24 /7 there is plenty of flexibility.

And we don't pay extra for specific days, having staff from different religions that would not be fair.

over a year ago

"when you accept a job, you have to work to the rules, it avoids any misunderstanding, so yes.

if I didn't think the rule was valid, I would ask about changing it, but life is too short for worrying about something that is so unimportant in the scheme of things

Ok. I'll give you another example. Say you were very good at selling a particular item and made £100 in sales on your shift and you did that day in, day out for many years. Then one day someone who hasn't been in the job long comes up to you and says you have to sell it this way and you try and only get £10 in sales on your shift and you keep getting shit because you're "not" trying and when you do your method then. You get told off by the main boss (who has only been there 2 minutes) for not doing it his way as your way is inappropriate and causing problems. Even though customers praise you for helping them, etc. Also when you do hit your target as your department is short on staff now. It means you have to hit a higher, unrealistic target. So what does one do/say when in that situation. Apart from the obvious?"

Life is simple, no need to overcomplicate things, if you are a good salesperson, tell your boss how you feel, communicate, and if that doesn't work, look elsewhere for a job,

over a year ago

OP, you sound bitter.

maybe you should look for another job and enjoy your life

over a year ago

"I think I can safely say that a very high percentage of people who work for them get sick or really hate the rules that the place sets. Rules which means comman sense goes out the window. Anybody know anyone who sets these rules/works in head office? Also if you agree with the start of this post. Give us an example where it happened in your place. What was the "rule/situation", what happened, etc."

I don't like rules. But I'm paid well. I have the power to say fuck it and not get sacked.

...and I sleep with my bosses wife.

Sometimes if I think really hard while simultaneously masturbating, I have to fake my orgasms cos she's really ...like ugly..

over a year ago

"I think I can safely say that a very high percentage of people who work for them get sick or really hate the rules that the place sets. Rules which means comman sense goes out the window. Anybody know anyone who sets these rules/works in head office? Also if you agree with the start of this post. Give us an example where it happened in your place. What was the "rule/situation", what happened, etc.

I don't like rules. But I'm paid well. I have the power to say fuck it and not get sacked.

...and I sleep with my bosses wife.

Sometimes if I think really hard while simultaneously masturbating, I have to fake my orgasms cos she's really ...like ugly.."

it really is the service industry x

over a year ago

"OP, you sound bitter.

maybe you should look for another job and enjoy your life"

Not at all. I just don't get why when you get praised by customers and some members of staff. You get told you're doing your job wrong and when you do it how they like, which is a new idea. You get slated for doing the job slow and customers are unimpressed with the service. Plus before any of this came in. Everything was running smoothly. So why change something that isn't broken?

When I am not working I am a happier person and I go out and do things, etc. Yes I have tried looking for work, but its not happening at the moment.

Post new Message to Thread