Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cars ...........

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Watched an ad this morning which stated that it had "a stop and start system" installed.....

Now forgive my ignorance when it comes to cars but isnt this the ignition key and the brake ????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"Watched an ad this morning which stated that it had "a stop and start system" installed.....

Now forgive my ignorance when it comes to cars but isnt this the ignition key and the brake ???? "

Bit more too it than that, but achieves the same result!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Watched an ad this morning which stated that it had "a stop and start system" installed.....

Now forgive my ignorance when it comes to cars but isnt this the ignition key and the brake ???? "

It is, but its an automated version, all it does is effectively swith the car on and off, ( when sitting stopped in traffic, it uses zero fuel, and zero emissions) the technology usually includes a constant mesh starter motor though, this reduces the wear and tear on starter motors, and also speeds up the restart time.

A little "gimmicky" but does actually work.

over a year ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Super duper...

over a year ago

one of bmw's range has it my friend has one i didnt like driving it felt odd!!xx

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

i have heard that they dont work anyway.

my mum works for seat and said that the stop/start wont work if:

the radio is on (who doesnt have their radio on???)

the wheels are not straight

and other reasons that were stupid but i cant remember

over a year ago

The newer new MINIs have it installed, and if the brakes are on, then the car goes into "stop" mode, and kicks in again when the brakes are off.

This saves the engine running when stationery, thereby saving fuel and better for the environment etc. etc...

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"The newer new MINIs have it installed, and if the brakes are on, then the car goes into "stop" mode, and kicks in again when the brakes are off.

This saves the engine running when stationery, thereby saving fuel and better for the environment etc. etc... "

Wonders if this is actually true........ A car uses more fuel when starting than running.......if you can see what I mean

By *ovCpl40sCouple
over a year ago

coventry

"The newer new MINIs have it installed, and if the brakes are on, then the car goes into "stop" mode, and kicks in again when the brakes are off.

This saves the engine running when stationery, thereby saving fuel and better for the environment etc. etc...

Wonders if this is actually true........ A car uses more fuel when starting than running.......if you can see what I mean"

A car only uses more fuel to start when starting from cold, and none of theses "stop/start" systems operate until the engine has reached "normal operating temperature" i.e. warm!

The thing I find awkward is the delay when restarting which has been known to cause a few rear end shunts

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

I had this system years ago when the audi quatro first came out and it worked great in heavy traffic.

The same car had a green light that used to come on when the best rev range had been reached to change up gear and save petrol.

Hell come to think of it the standard of my company cars has gone to the dogs big time lol

Steve

over a year ago

Soooooooooo

cant you lot who drive just work the brakes and key ignition...

ahem....

this comes from a non car driver. lmao

over a year ago

I believe it may be possible to disable the Stop/Start function on the new MINIs, however, I could be wrong.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

I have a BMW with it on and despite what has been typed here, it works very well indeed! It was invented by Volvo over 20 years ago but there was no real reason to put it on cars.

Once the car has warmed up and the outside temp is over 3 degrees, if I stop the car and take it out of gear and release the clutch, the engine stops. Once the traffic starts to move I depress the clutch and before I can move the gear lever into first, the car is started. It is very quick!

Can't see where rear end shunts come from as 97% of all rear end shunts are from people not braking in time coming to a halt!

Problem will come when cheaper cars install these things, like Fiat! They will do a cheap version to sell cars and then as the cars age, it will become like all Italian electronics and fail. After warranties run out it will cost a fortune to repair!

Like those crass Audi LED's used in the front lights. Hyundi are starting to install them, but I saw one the other day with 2 LED's out! After warranty, that is a whole array to be replaced!

over a year ago

"I believe it may be possible to disable the Stop/Start function on the new MINIs, however, I could be wrong. "

You are correct Pearl, and thank goodness you can, only pain is having to disable it every time I start my car. I don't like it very much it tends to switch my engine off when I go into reverse or am sitting just about to pull out at junctions or roundabouts... not the best time to cut out!

over a year ago

"Can't see where rear end shunts come from as 97% of all rear end shunts are from people not braking in time coming to a halt!"

Or driving too closely from the car in the front and not reacting quick enough to any issues!

Those that do it to me when I go to work are usually women drivers!

over a year ago

"I believe it may be possible to disable the Stop/Start function on the new MINIs, however, I could be wrong.

You are correct Pearl, and thank goodness you can, only pain is having to disable it every time I start my car. I don't like it very much it tends to switch my engine off when I go into reverse or am sitting just about to pull out at junctions or roundabouts... not the best time to cut out! "

I shan't change my MINI for a while, so the technology may have advanced even further by the time I am ready to get the Countryman!

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

"I believe it may be possible to disable the Stop/Start function on the new MINIs, however, I could be wrong.

You are correct Pearl, and thank goodness you can, only pain is having to disable it every time I start my car. I don't like it very much it tends to switch my engine off when I go into reverse or am sitting just about to pull out at junctions or roundabouts... not the best time to cut out! "

You should get that back to Mini! There is defo a fault if it does that. (Both our kids work at a garage, one on BMW and the other on Mini and both say there is a fault!)

over a year ago

"You should get that back to Mini! There is defo a fault if it does that. (Both our kids work at a garage, one on BMW and the other on Mini and both say there is a fault!)"

laine,

It's true as it does not sound right what you have said!

My courtesy MINI only went into the stop mode when I put the handbrake on, and not when I was at a junction etc...!!!

over a year ago

Thank you peeps, my clubman has been the worst car I have ever owned, it's only just two years old now, but in it's first year it had... a new engine, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, starter-motor, wheel bearings, a scary blowout on the motorway with a runflat tyre( although that can happen to anyone ) and a new ignition key as it stopped opening my doors but did work on my neighbours vauxhall!

I have had numerous arguments and run-ins with my dealer and indeed with MINI/BMW UK, trading standards et al.

I have twice had the engine fail on me, once while I was overtaking in the outside lane and I thought the clutch cable had snapped, free wheeling into the hard shoulder is scary!

My local dealers solution was to offer me half the purchased price and a trade up to another new MINI.

I could have bought a real car for 20k

over a year ago

"Thank you peeps, my clubman has been the worst car I have ever owned, it's only just two years old now, but in it's first year it had... a new engine, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, starter-motor, wheel bearings, a scary blowout on the motorway with a runflat tyre( although that can happen to anyone ) and a new ignition key as it stopped opening my doors but did work on my neighbours vauxhall!

I have had numerous arguments and run-ins with my dealer and indeed with MINI/BMW UK, trading standards et al.

I have twice had the engine fail on me, once while I was overtaking in the outside lane and I thought the clutch cable had snapped, free wheeling into the hard shoulder is scary!

My local dealers solution was to offer me half the purchased price and a trade up to another new MINI.

I could have bought a real car for 20k "

Feck, it sounds like you have a Friday Lemon, poor you!!!

Give them hell, I would!!! And I know many other MINI owners who would too!

I have been very lucky with mine, an old girl at 8yo now, and still going strong after 130k miles.

New clutch and cat at about 100k (cat was fine, the downpipe was corroded due to many short trips in her early years), new power steering pump at about 110k, new gear box, passenger door window motor and windscreen wiper motor at about 128k.

Still on her original exhaust!

over a year ago

"Thank you peeps, my clubman has been the worst car I have ever owned, it's only just two years old now, but in it's first year it had... a new engine, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, starter-motor, wheel bearings, a scary blowout on the motorway with a runflat tyre( although that can happen to anyone ) and a new ignition key as it stopped opening my doors but did work on my neighbours vauxhall!

I could have bought a real car for 20k

Feck, it sounds like you have a Friday Lemon, poor you!!!

Give them hell, I would!!! And I know many other MINI owners who would too!

I have been very lucky with mine, an old girl at 8yo now, and still going strong after 130k miles.

New clutch and cat at about 100k (cat was fine, the downpipe was corroded due to many short trips in her early years), new power steering pump at about 110k, new gear box, passenger door window motor and windscreen wiper motor at about 128k.

Still on her original exhaust! "

I even called MINI UK head office asking if there had been any recalls or inherent faults with my car's batch and they said not.

Apparently as long as the dealer/ manufacturers are willing to honour the warranty and change all the things that come under it, I have no recourse to anything else.

over a year ago

" I even called MINI UK head office asking if there had been any recalls or inherent faults with my car's batch and they said not.

Apparently as long as the dealer/ manufacturers are willing to honour the warranty and change all the things that come under it, I have no recourse to anything else. "

Have you considered joining the Scottish New MINI forums, and ask them for advice? There is a big group of them up there, I'll PM you with their site address.

over a year ago

ive got a 1993 subaru impreza WRX in showroom condition with only 95000 miles on it, nothing has ever went wrong with it, good solid, reliable japanese engineering, no fancy computers in it just good old 2 litre turbo goodness lol

over a year ago

" I even called MINI UK head office asking if there had been any recalls or inherent faults with my car's batch and they said not.

Apparently as long as the dealer/ manufacturers are willing to honour the warranty and change all the things that come under it, I have no recourse to anything else.

Have you considered joining the Scottish New MINI forums, and ask them for advice? There is a big group of them up there, I'll PM you with their site address. "

I considered parking in a supermarket carpark right next to the dealers forecourt with a huge sign on my car saying "this car is crap...I'd never buy one like this again, ask owner for catalogue of faults!"

By *heWolfMan
over a year ago

warwickshire

Apparently Toyota have got a "won't-stop" and start system in their cars.

over a year ago

Wonders if this is actually true........ A car uses more fuel when starting than running.......if you can see what I mean"

Not on a 250 mile journey it don't!

over a year ago

As someone who has never driven (other than other people up the wall lol) and never owned a car, why would you need a garentee when buying a new car??

I saw an advert the other day and in the small print it said garentee may be required, now I thought if you missed a payment or 2 they could reposess the car, and sell it, therefore the car would be its own garentee.

Or do you now have to put your house on the line when buying a new car unless paying cash??

Prob a daft question but since I have never bought a car I thought I would ask

Shona

x x x

over a year ago

"As someone who has never driven (other than other people up the wall lol) and never owned a car, why would you need a garentee when buying a new car??

I saw an advert the other day and in the small print it said garentee may be required, now I thought if you missed a payment or 2 they could reposess the car, and sell it, therefore the car would be its own garentee.

Or do you now have to put your house on the line when buying a new car unless paying cash??

Prob a daft question but since I have never bought a car I thought I would ask

Shona

x x x "

Depend Shona, different rules apply to different loans, a regular car loan will be secured on the vehicle, a personal loan is unsecured, but in Scotland they might still try to recover goods if the loan went into default, (sequestration) not common on a personal loan.

The guarantor is sometimes required ( that is a second person who is willing to say that if the person taking the loan out fails to pay they will pay instead).

Guarantors in Scotland are usually spose/parents/siblings. They dont usually accept someone who has no real " ties" to the person borrowing the loan.

hth

over a year ago

Thanks Nom, see I knew it was a daft question but since I had no idea why I thought someone here would know.

Makes me think that IF we were ever to buy a car we would go for an old second (or third) hand one, rather than have to prove we could afford the thing

Shona

x x x

By *ouvakMan
over a year ago

clacton on sea

is it not a fact that a cold engine is less fuel efficient than a hot engine,and that starting an engine use's more fuel? 60% of the fuel used to start an engine ends up in the exhaust system unburnt as the engine never starts on the first complete cycle, this then lodges in the catalytic converter and burns off as waste, and shortens the cat's life span too.

And for all you eco worriers did you know that a small cars emissions on short runs are higher than a jaguar on a long run and that by stop/starting an engine in heavy urban traffic you are actually increasing you emission level,because of the unburnt fuel expelled

imagine if you would the school run ? a cold engine needs time to warm to optimum operating temperature, so stop starting the engine will not allow it to reach it nor the catalyst come to that, as the catalyst only works when it reach's it true working temp too, so there for all this stop/start is doing is wasting even more of the fuel they say they want to help you save, as it would prolong the cold running of the engine which require an enriched fuel mix to assist with cold running,,,, so who's fooling who ??????

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

Tovak

Your assumption that a cold engine and repeated start stops use more fuel is correct. However, the new stop start gizmos coming out on cars should work differently. Firstly, it wont work unless the engine is warm. Then, if the outside temperature is less than 3 degrees, it also won't work. Again, if the battery is not fully charged, it won't work, so there are loads of safeguards built in (to the proper system, can't say about the cheap ones!)

As well as those safeguards, the restart is nothing like when the driver turns the key! The computer doesn't release fuel unless the engine is turning and as it is a diesel, no fuel is wasted because the engine is warm and the combustion is complete due to a weak mixture on the first turn.

On the subject of Eco (not me) warriors, those who buy one of those horrid Prius things are actually doing less for the environment than they think. The batteries are only good for a very short distance and the petrol engine has to lug around all those batteries, reducing fuel economy!

After 3 years of so, the batteries will have to be changed and that means a large bill! Also, those batteries have a carbon footprint on disposal and recycling. It equates to much more than the fuel saved lifetime on the vehicle when using the electric motors of hybrid drive.Worst of all, they look like fookin steam irons!!!

Oh and have you noticed how Prius drivers never seem to be concerned about consumption when shooting down the motorway at 80mph!

Post new Message to Thread